FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5 and CTV 3
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

It’s been a great travel year in Belize! Part 3
As Old Man Time ticked towards 2015 it was time for me to measure how 2014 rated on my good/bad/mediocre/epic/thank God-the-year-is-over meter. The best way to recall the highlights (who needs to focus on the low-lights) was to peruse through the 50+ folders of digital images I had accumulated over the year in question. I already knew it had been a pretty good one, and as I reminisced over photos of beautiful, exotic places, colorful landscapes and smiling faces I couldn’t help but realize that what made the experience so special was not only the amazing locales but the special people I shared each experience with. Last year my JOB (not a dirty word) found me paddle boarding, snorkeling, birding, sailing, dining at fabulous restaurants, weekend stays at beachside resorts, enjoying super fun lobster festivals, art festivals, September celebrations, Carnaval and Holiday Lighted Boat Parades, exploring mainland destinations like Placencia, back-road adventures to villages in the Orange Walk and Belize Districts, over the border trips to Merida Mexico and Maya ruins on Ambergris Caye.

Beautiful Toledo, through the eyes of Tony Rath
With the stories of sun, sand and sea, it’s quite easy to overlook the fact that there are well over 8,000 more square miles of beautiful Belize to explore. Luckily for us, there are numerous proud Belizeans who share beautiful images of these ‘hidden’ gems every day. One such Belizean is the uber-talented, photographer extraordinaire Tony Rath. The volumes we could speak of Tony…who with his lens, and experienced eye, can portray stories untold of our beloved heritage. His talents take him to unexplored regions, and his photographs show us that we’ve barely scratched the surface. We chose a few of his shots of Toledo, which reveal the beauty of Belize’s southernmost district.

Editorial: A Fitness Plan for La Isla?
It’s a new year, and with that comes resolutions, right? According to my unofficial survey the #1 New Year’s resolution is to lose weight, exercise and get healthy. We all know how important it is to be healthy, and the long term benefits that come from good health are countless. Perhaps one of the most desired benefits of being healthy is living a long and prosperous life. So….I am declaring that my New Year’s 2015 resolution is to lobby hard, relentlessly, tirelessly, persistently and if necessary, annoyingly, for a HEALTHY Ambergris Caye. This island, our home, our love, our livelihood and our passion deserves a long, and HEALTHY life…yet we are slowly polluting her and the Caribbean waters that embrace her. If we, the stewards of this island, want her to live to a ripe old age then it is time to whip her into shape!

Letter to the Editor: Lara Goldman
I love The San Pedro Sun. I love the feel of the paper in my hands, and I love how it is one “old timey” thing in San Pedro that brings everyone and everything together. I love reading the articles about all the wonderful goings on in San Pedro….after they happened! So, as I read about the Senior Citizens Party at the Lions Den this week, I was not filled with joy about the wonderful event, but rather deep sadness and intense frustration. As I continued to read about the fantastic things that happened in San Pedro over the holidays, I grew more and more exasperated by the things I missed. While reading about events after they happened is nice, it would be so wonderful for the entire community, and the thousands of visitors to our community, if there were some sort of Community Calendar. All non-profit’s could possibly get on the calendar for free, but biz events (fashion shows, Valentines Events, etc.) could pay for the mention.

Illegal dumping of garbage continues: SPTC claims it will no longer be tolerated
Brackett also discussed the use of household garbage and appliances for land fill. He stated that the practice is unsanitary and can lead to several issues in the long run. “People are somehow under the impression that household garbage and appliances should be used as land fill. While we cannot stop you if it is your private property, take time to consider how unsanitary that idea sounds. Do you really want to build your home over a pile of garbage? When appliances rust or start to disintegrate, chemicals are released and that leaks into our water table. The use of garbage in land fill is pollution in so many levels. Natural products should be used for land fill, like trees, wood material, sea grass and saw dust,” said Brackett.

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

Belize Heroes and Benefactors Exhibit
The Corozal House of Culture is dedicated in its pursuit to preserve and promote Belize’s diverse history and culture. We are delighted to launch the Belize Heroes and Benefactors Exhibit Thursday January 15, 2015. The exhibit, produced by the Institute of Social and Cultural Research, honours seventeen outstanding Belizeans whom have contributed immensely to the development of our country. This informative exhibit will be on display through to June 2015. We kindly extend an invitation to our community to view the exhibit and learn more about our past and present heroes and heroines.

42 INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT BELIZE
The official language is English. Belize served as a pirate’s sanctuary in the 17th century. Until independence in 1973, Belize was British Honduras. A peaceful country, Belize is tolerant of different races and religions. Belize is a top retirement destination in the world and real estate is affordable compared with Europe or North America. Orchid Bay in Northern Belize for example offers Villas, Condominiums & Land in an established beach community. Eco-tourism is a top source of revenue. In the 1900s, settlers arrived from Hong Kong, Taiwan, Bombay and Mennonites from North America and Germany. The entire country contains 4 highways.

PlusTV

Lucilo Teck mandamus application moves forward
The dispute between the Belize Sugar Cane Farmers Association (BSCFA) and Belize Sugar Industries Limited (BSI) and its American partner, American Sugar Refining Incorporated (ASR), with the Government of Belize as represented by Minister responsible for Agriculture Gaspar Vega and the Sugar Industry Control Board (SICB) a key party, officially entered the legal realm on Friday morning, with the hearing for an application for leave to file judicial review, in respect of a writ of mandamus urging the SICB to consult its industry partners on a date to start the 2014-15 sugar cane season. No sooner had the parties sat before Justice Shona Griffith, than the judge stunned the courtroom by announcing that she was inclined to grant the application and begin issuing directions for the progression of the case. However, the victory for claimant and senior cane farmer Lucilo Teck would not come that easily or that quickly. The SICB’s attorney, Senior Counsel Rodwell Williams, immediately rose on a point of objection which he explained for reporters afterward.

Is BSCFA prepared to split up?
On Thursday Prime Minister Dean Barrow cited the Supreme Court’s previous order to allow multiple associations of farmers in the sugar industry, saying that as a result there is no legal bar to individual branches of the Belize Sugar Cane Farmers Association (BSCFA) agreeing to break away and sign the Commercial Agreement with BSI/ASR. On Friday we got reaction from two BSCFA branch chairmen, who are in direct opposition on this issue. But first we take a look at a statement released by Attorney Audrey Matura-Shepherd on behalf of her client farmer Lucilo Teck. In the statement Attorney Matura-Shepherd cites the court order, which, despite the Prime Minister’s statement on Thursday, is not a court order but a consent court order, which meant that the parties involved agreed to settle an agreement without hearing the case to completion.

The Reporter

PUC approves water rate increase
The Public Utilities Commission (PUC) announced on Friday that it has approved a two percent increase in water rates after reviewing a request from Belize Water Services (BWS) last November. According to PUC Chairman, John Avery, the new rates will take effect April 1st, which is the start of what they call the Full Tariff Period. Avery said the PUC made the decision after looking at all of BWS’ requests and reviewing their financial status. BWS had initially requested that the PUC approve investments of $108.6 million but Avery said the Commission only approved $50 million based on their assessment of the feasibility of the type of projects BWS intends to undertake. According to Avery, BWS had also requested the Commission to approve $151.3 million in Operational Expenditure (OPEX) but the PUC instead approved $129.8 million.

Paris tightens up on security measures following attack
Some 500 extra troops are being deployed around Paris after three days of terror in the French capital killed 17 people. Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said all necessary measures were being taken to protect the country. Police in France are hunting for any accomplices of three gunmen killed by police on Friday after two sieges. Tens of thousands of people have taken part in silent marches to remember the victims in Nice, Pau and Orleans. President Francois Hollande has warned the danger is not over yet. “We have to be vigilant. I also ask you to be united – it’s our best weapon,” said Mr Hollande in a televised address on Friday night.

The Belize Times

Cañeros say NO to Barrow! – PM defiant, ASR gives cane farmers ultimatum
The Barrow Administration who has a history of expropriating companies and changing Belize’s laws and the constitution purportedly in the name of the people of Belize, appears weak or perhaps compromised in the face of the worst crisis to hit the Sugar Industry. American Sugar Refining Inc., the owners of Belize Sugar Industries factory, and the Belize Cane Farmers Association which represents over 5,300 cane farmers, are not seeing eye-to-eye on critical industry matters, and this has caused a tremendous delay in the start of the 2014-2015 crop season which should have commenced since early December. Delays normally translate to heavy financial losses for the industry. ASR wants cane farmers to sign a seven-year agreement that will bind them to delivering quality cane to the mill, would name ASR the owners of the cane once delivered to the mill and would commit the payment of bagasse at 51 cents per ton. Up to Sunday December 14th, BSCFA was supportive of the proposal and following a general meeting its members approved the signing. But when the document was drafted and presented to BSCFA officials days later, it included an additional point that proposed to establish a new quality control body to be led by ASR. BSCFA officials considered this adjustment to the document as a sign of bad faith, and at general meeting held with its members on December 28th, the cane farmers rejected its signing. Instead of providing leadership and regulating the industry through the Sugar Industry Control Board (SICB), as stipulated in the Sugar Act, the Government of Belize, instead chosen to be a mere spectator while the industry comes apart.

The Battle is Not Over!
People’s United Party Leader Hon. Francis Fonseca vowed that the Opposition Party will be ready for the upcoming Municipal Elections and General Elections at a press conference held at Independence Hall on January 6th 2015, despite the results of the Cayo North By-Election held on Monday January 5th which in favour of the UDP Candidate Omar Figueroa. Hon. Fonseca said that while the results were disappointing, he accepts the will of the majority of voters who turned out at the polls, and said that the time is right to begin the work to regain the seat whenever the next elections are called. The PUP Leader explained to the media that the odds were stacked tremendously against the PUP in Monday’s by-election, with the ruling UDP doing everything and spending up to $2.13 million to buy the elections, so he was proud of the valiant efforts put by the PUP candidate Richard Harrison, the PUP campaign workers and supporters. He thanked everyone who was part of the campaign.

Darrell Bradley playing games with BML workers
Next week Friday, January 16th, over 150 sanitation workers will be terminated from Belize Maintenance Limited as the Belize City Council ends its contract with the sanitation company. Despite the Prime Minister Dean Barrow’s promise that the workers shouldn’t fear being unemployed because the Council will hire them immediately, the workers have been in limbo for many months as Mayor Darrell Bradley made it very clear that he not only does not support the PM’s plan, but it makes him very uncomfortable to acquiesce to it. Bradley protested on the basis that the increase in staff, from 270 to 428 personnel, will mean an increase in financial burden to the Council. The Prime Minister’s ultimatum even had the Mayor threatening behind closed doors that he will not run for another term if he is forced to accept the PM’s decision. Bradley, despite being an over melodramatic politician, is premium political commodity in the UDP and they have done everything possible to keep him happy and on board.

VEGA LAND GRAB!!
The NOT NORMAL family and relatives of Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Lands continue to hog up land all over Belize

New Year, Old Plans
This week’s result of the by-election in Cayo North was disappointing to say the least but not the least bit surprising. Elections in Belize are now decided, not by the quality of the candidate but by the quantity of the money that each has at their disposal. In that regard, Richard Harrison, who ran on the ticket of the People’s United Party, and who in the opinion of most independent observers was by far the better candidate, never had a chance in that contest. Petro Caribe money was rolling and the UDP spared no expense to secure a victory for their candidate Omar Figueroa. The by-election became necessary after the sudden and unexpected resignation of sitting member of the House Joseph Mahmud. In October of last year, Mahmud, whose victory at the polls in the General Elections of 2012 had helped to bring the People’s United Party (PUP) within 60 votes of forming the government, announced that he was resigning as representative for his area. He initially indicated that he would be serving out his term of office but made it clear that he would not be seeking re-election. Mahmud gave no reason for his decision and rumors began running amok. Less than a month later, Mahmud became the first member to voluntarily resign from the House of Representatives. Again, no explanation was given nor did Mahmud even have the courtesy of informing his own party that he was calling it quits. Party Leader Francis Fonseca, who admittedly only learned of Mahmud’s resignation via the public media, expressed in an interview that “I think it reflects poorly on him and I view that as disrespectful to the party.”

Think About It
The UDP Party and the UDP Government, which have become one and the same are in big trouble. Having spent millions of dollars in Cayo North, having pulled out all the stops and having a candidate campaigning non-stop since February, the turnout was only 2,600 voters who supported the UDP. Total voters in Cayo North constituency is 7,000. The very poor turn-out for the UDP took place despite the Prime Minister himself and most of his Cabinet Ministers putting in days and weeks of campaigning. Is that poor showing of only 2,600 out of 7,000 the best that such a massive and expensive effort could produce? The answer is: yes. The P.U.P. candidate had only three weeks to campaign. There was no way he could cover the amount of ground needed to bond with voters. He was on a small budget and he was the underdog in the campaign. Yet he brought out 1,300 voters. Imagine what he would have done if he had a six month period to campaign with quarter of the millions the U.D.P. spent in the area.

Editorial: Barrow Compromised!
The cane farmers of the north have rejected Prime Minister Dean Barrow and the American Sugar Refining, the owners of the Belize Sugar Industries. The brave cañeros have done so despite being in the middle of their own personal and collective crisis. They and their families are flat on their backs. They are down and out when it comes to money. But like Jesus in the desert for forty days and forty nights they have rejected all temptations. Our prayers and the prayers of the nation must be for them and for just and equitable solutions as they wrestle with their adversaries. Their adversaries start with the stubborn and arrogant Prime Minister. He is the cause of the problem. Had he been a true leader to Belize, the cañeros and other Belizean stakeholders would today be proud owners of B.S.I. Such a bold and Belizean move would have been one of the economic salvation for the people of the north. Instead the Prime Minister failed to provide any leadership and caused the American Sugar Refining Inc. to buy B.S.I.

Team C-Ray’s Yan Cattouse wins 25th KREM Junior Cycling Classic
Team C-Ray Road Addikz’s Yan Cattouse clocked 2:43:17 on his 50-mile ride to win the 25th annual KREM New Year’s Junior Cycling Classic from the Orange Walk Town Hall on the Philip Goldson Highway to Belize City. His prizes included the $1,000 1st prize, a $250 in phone credit from Digicell & trophy. Kaydine Pinello won the first $150 prize at the Tower Hill Bridge, while Patrick Williams won the prize at the Crooked Tree junction. Pinello then won $200 worth of sand and gravel at the Cattouse Farm at mile 14, and $50 gas at the SHELL service station in Ladyville.

Belmopan Bandits & Police United lead playoffs
The Belmopan Bandits are No. 1 in the Premier League of Belize football playoffs, after 1-0 wins over the Belize Defence Force and Verdes FC. In their 5th playoff outing at the Norman Broaster Stadium in San Ignacio on Sunday, Shane Armstrong scored an injury time goal for their 1-0 win against Verdes FC. It was a much needed win as the Bandits’ top strikers Jerome “Jaro” James, Elroy Kuylen, David “Mikey’ Madrid and Edmund Pandy Jr were all drawing blanks in front of Verdes’ goal in the first half. Fortunately the Bandits defenders: Dalton Eiley, Tyrone Pandy, Norman Anderson, Shane Armstrong and Khalil Velasquez held off the best efforts of the Verdes’ strikers Gilroy “Bredda” Thurton, Jarret Davis, and Richard “Cheety” Jimenez. Bandits’ goalie Woodrow West made several magnificent saves to shut out the Green Machine the entire game.

Mexican Hector Rangel wins 25th KREM Elite Cycling Classic
Benny’s Megabytes’ Mexican import Hector Rangel rode in solo to win the 25th annual KREM New Year’s Elite Cycling Classic, clocking 3:50:26 for his 96-mile ride from Santa Elena (northern border), Corozal District on the Philip Goldson Highway to the Mahogany St./Central American Boulevard intersection in Belize City. He won a $2,500 1st prize, a round trip ticket to the continental USA sponsored by American Airlines, $250 in phone credit from Digicell and a trophy; another $500 1st prize in the over-35 Masters category, as well as over $3,300 in station prizes, including 2 cellphones as he won all of the last 17 station prizes to the city.

Petrocaribe Rolling??
A bye-election date has been set by the Governor General Sir Colville Young after he was notified by the Clerk of the National Assembly, Michael Peyrefitte, of the resignation of People’s United Party Representative for Cayo North, Joseph Mahmud, from the House of Representatives. The political fervour of the populace in the Jewel anxiously waiting to cast their political lots in the upcoming town council elections set for March 2015. This could well be the test of choice for both political parties. The leader of the Opposition People’s United Party has sounded the call to battle, “We are battle ready”, whilst the United Democratic Party leader and Prime Minister of Belize chants “Petro Caribe Rolling”. The engine to the PUP’s battle ready mode is running on the Party’s Social Justice agenda and other promised reforms, especially in the area of governance directed at making the executive more accountable and ensuring that Ministers and public officials are legally responsible for their illegal or unconstitutional acts.

Will the Corruption End in 2015? Not a chance
One of the rising stars in the Illinois Democratic Party was Jesse Jackson, Jr. He was an elected congressman serving in the House of Representatives. About a year ago he was convicted of illegally spending $750,000 in campaign money on everything from cigars to mounted elk heads and a gold watch – $60,857 at restaurants, nightclubs and lounges and $43,350 for a gold-plated men’s Rolex watch. His wife Sandi was also convicted of lying on her tax returns and will have to serve a year in federal prison. Mr. Jackson is serving a 2½ year prison term. U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson, Jr. is the son of civil rights leader Jesse Jackson Sr. Similarly, Former Virginia Gov Bob McDonnell and his wife Maureen are convicted of corruption in federal court; McDonnell was found guilty on 11 counts of conspiracy, bribery and extortion, his trial shattered his political career and peeled back his private life to the bone; both McDonnell’s now face years in prison. He too loved gold watches and often showed off his watch while driving down the highway. They were both accused of taking monies from a businessman; she purchased jewelry, clothes and shoes.

Two years later, and still nothing…
On the serene morning of Tuesday January 8th 2013, two years ago, the residents of Dean and George Streets in Mesopotamia and Queen Square constituencies in Belize City awoke and busied themselves as is their daily routine. The stillness in the air (which in retrospect now should have been a foreboding of things to come) abruptly ended with the frantic cries and wails spurned on by a ghastly discovery. It was like none the people in that community had seen before. True, the boys from the area were legendary warlords, but the throat-slitting, stabbing, butchering and near decapitation of the four men in that apartment building at the corner of Plues and Dean Streets were still too much. And besides, we are a country of laws anyway; none should be judge, jury and executioner all at the same time. The initial shock quickly turned into an internalizing of what had transpired. Men or ghosts (you take your pick) had secretly entered the apartment and slain the men, unbeknown to anyone. Not even the police officers at the police sub-station, located 100 yards down the street, knew what had taken place. And as luck would have it, the police camera on the lamppost was malfunctioning at just about the same time, so there was no video footage to see who went in and out of the building.

NEW YEAR WISHES
In this first entry for 2015 I would like to wish all constituents of Belize Rural Central in particular, as well as all Belizeans a peaceful, productive and very happy New Year. May we as a people pledge that we will all do our best to bring about a better life for everyone in this country; and not better in just material ways, but in the values proclaimed in the Belizean National Prayer. Yes, may all our endeavors tend to peace, social justice, liberty, national happiness, the increase of industry, sobriety and useful knowledge. And indeed we need God’s guidance to attain these just objectives. In reflecting over the brief holiday period, I have realized of course that there is much work to do in order to retrieve the values that make Belize what it should be. We have to wake up and work to ensure that the downward trends of money politics, cynicism, selfishness and greed are reversed and that the Social Justice Agenda of our Party can guide us as a Government in waiting and also when we form the next Government.

Leader of the Opposition, Hon. Francis Fonseca’s New Year’s Message
In 2014 the UDP Government once again offered NO PLAN, NO VISION, NO HOPE, NO SOLUTIONS to the many very serious challenges Belize faces. In 2014 the UDP said NO to Reform of the Public Accounts Committee, NO to an independent inquiry into the UDP Penner Immigration Scandal, NO to accounting for Petrocaribe funds, NO to disclosure of agreements signed with Guatemala, NO to Equity, No to accountability. It was another year in which only a CHOSEN FEW UDPs mattered. All other Belizeans were ignored and neglected. Sadly, 2014 was another year of Murder, scandal, corruption and growing poverty in our beloved Belize. Our nation stood united in mourning the tragic and senseless execution of Special Constable Danny Conorquie. This was an attack on our national sovereignty and dignity.

UDP shuts down Government work for politics in Cayo North!!
The United Democratic Party shut down the Government on Monday, January 5th, as all Cabinet Ministers and their politically-appointed CEOs and hacks descended on Cayo North to lure support and in many cases intimidate voters from supporting the People’s United Party. Some of the Ministers were out with more than just their lying tongues. Some had special brief cases and manila folders, promising education scholarships and land access and even pledging to give away houses and National Bank loans in return for votes. The Cayo North by-election turned out to be a real “BUY-election” with the UDP spending over two million dollars to win the seat. Reports of vote buying (votes in exchange for up to $500) were rampant. Democracy was non-existent.

Let Better Pay for Cane-Cutters also roll…
Dear Editor, The escalating tension here in the North is indeed a very crippling experience that continues to dampen and even dismantle the spirits of many families particularly those whose livelihoods are anchored in the squealing axis of the Sugar Industry itself. As a canefarmer, I indeed stand in full support and solidarity with my compañeros cañeros in a most unconditional and steadfast manner as we hope that whatever differences between our representative, the BSCFA, and BSI/ASR are well-ironed out in a meticulous way that will seek to always protect and promote our interests in this very important industry.

PUP Northern Caucus calls on GOB to end Sugar Industry impasse
The Northern Caucus of the People’s United Party (PUP) expresses great concern on the state of affairs of the sugar industry today. It is especially troubled that the start of the crop has been delayed for so long. As leaders of the North we understand fully the hardships caused to over five thousand cane-farming families, the entire labor force, as well as the negative impact on the national economy, by the postponement of the Zafra. Hence we call on the Sugar Industry Control Board (SICB) to fulfill its obligations under the Sugar Act and declare the crop open by the 14th January, 2015. At the same time we urge the Belize Cane Farmers Association and Belize Sugar Industries/American Sugar Refinery to resume negotiations to reach an agreement that is beneficial to all parties. The PUP, through its Northern Caucus, has been following the negotiations between the Belize Sugar Cane Farmers Association (BSCFA) and BSI/ASR and supports the cane farmers’ decision to reject the proposed agreement as it is clearly disadvantageous to the cane farmers.

Patrick JonesPJ

Rain in the forecast heading into Monday
It is a wet weekend moist and unstable conditions will support shower weather heading into the start of the new week. The general forecast for Belize and her coastal waters is for mostly cloudy skies with a few showers and isolated thunderstorms mainly over southern and coastal areas of the country. Winds over the open sea and along the coast will be easterly to northeasterly at ten to twenty knots with higher gusts near showers. The sea state will be moderate but locally rough at times. Operators of small craft should exercise caution.

Magistrate fines Corozal chain-snatcher
A Corozal man was fined $1,000 after pleading guilty to a charge of theft. 25 year old Pablo Alejandro Kumul appeared before Magistrate Hurl Hamilton this week where he wasted no time pleading guilty. Magistrate Hamilton ordered that the fine be paid by February 28 or in deafult Kumul, who had three previous convictions for drug posession, will spend ten months in prison.

Omar Figueroa to be appointed a Minister of State
Less than a week after winning the bye election in the Cayo North constituency, Omar Figueroa is headed for a Cabinet-level post. Today, the government press office issues a release announcing that Prime Minister Dean Barrow at a special meeting informed Ministers that he intends to appoint Figueroa as a Minister of State in the Office of the Prime Minister. The official release says that Figueroa will be sworn in on Monday by the Governor General.

PUC issues initial decision on BWS full Tariff Review Proceeding
The Public Utilities Commission (PUC) has released its initial decision in the 2014-15 Full Tariff Review Proceeding (FTRP) for Belize Water Services Limited (BWS). In the initial decision, the PUC recommends a 2% average rate increase over current tariffs to support the revised business plan approved by the regulator. The average rate approved, $17.49 per one thousand gallons, is based on a projected consumption of 12 million gallons of water and is eight cents lower than the projected tariff in 2010-2011 at $17.57, but higher than the average adjusted rate of $17.15.

NTUCB says it stands firm in support of cane farmers
the National Trade Union Congress of Belize has issued a statement, encouraging members of the BSCFA to remain united. The NTUCB says that there is what it calls a plot that has been skillfully weaved and orchestrated to divide the farmers and break up the Association. The statement says that “whilst this Congress is being accused of leading this Association blindly, the NTUCB absolutely refuses to buckle under the name-calling.”

Blogs

Scoop…You’re Not in Belize Anymore
I do love waking up (almost) every morning and tell you about the events in San Pedro and all of Belize but today…today I am in Miami. And I have been for 2 days now…after helping carry two dogs to Hollywood Animal Hospital for knee surgery. Surgery that they couldn’t have in Belize. Boat to Ladyville, Belize, short taxi ride to the Belize International Airport, dogs in the hold and then to the hospital. My travel partner isn’t winning any spelling bees…

International Sourcesizz

Finding big adventure in tiny Belize
Belize, a slip of a country in Central America, is a cornucopia of natural beauty. Its eastern border hugs the mint-green waters of the Caribbean. Its barrier reef is the longest in the northern or western hemisphere. To the west and south, it nudges against Guatemala and is rife with lush emerald rainforests, jungles, rivers, caves and mountains. Formerly British Honduras, this place of wonder has more species of flowers, birds, trees and butterflies than all of the U.S. and Canada combined. It’s the heartland of the ancient Mayan civilization, filled with ruins, mystery and magic. Many tourists head east to the beaches — renowned for their diving and snorkeling — and stay put, with an occasional day excursion to see ruins and/or the jungle terrain. Since I’m not a diver, I chose to go both inland and coastal on an all-too-short eight-day trip. The recommended mode of transportation from the airport in Belize City — in any direction — is by resort-provided transfer or small planes that fly within the country. Neither was going to provide the opportunity to come and go as I pleased or see as much as I’d like.

Man falsely reported gunshot because ex-boss denied him reference
William Turner, the man accused of calling in a false report of a gunshot at a downtown Yellowknife office building, has admitted to CBC News that he made the call. On Wednesday, RCMP responded to the Northwest Tower after receiving a call reporting a gunshot at the building. Police evacuated the Javaroma coffee shop, located on the building's ground floor, before proceeding into the office tower. Turner told CBC News he made the false report to police from Belize, a country in Central America where he says he's currently living. He spoke to CBC on a cell phone with a Belize number.

Supreme Court to hear Bain case tomorrow
PROFESSOR Brendan Bain's case regarding the decision of the University of the West Indies (UWI) to terminate his services as director of the regional co-ordinating unit of the Caribbean HIV/AIDS Regional Training Network (CHART) is set for trial in the Supreme Court tomorrow. The matter is set for five days before justices Lennox Campbell, Paulette Williams, and Frank Williams in Courtroom Number 9. Bain, who is a medical doctor, was issued with a termination letter, dated May 20, 2014, by Vice-Chancellor Eon Nigel Harris, after gay and human rights groups pressured the UWI, on the heels of Bain's expert evidence in a case in Belize where a gay man had challenged the constitutionality of the law that makes it a criminal act for men to have sex with men.

Videos

BELIZE 2013 PIC SHOW, 26min.
Caye Caulker - Belize, 2min.
man vs wild s03e06 Belize, 44min.
Snorkeling in San Pedro Belize, 4min.
Tribute to The Baymen by Heaven's Youth Choir in San Pedro Town, Belize, 2min. Heaven's Youth Choir from R.C. Youth Ministry pay tribute to the Baymen on eve of St. George's Caye Day in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize. SHOW MORE
Belize Trip!, 2hr. Belize Trip! How fun is this!
Belize - The Great Blue Hole, 6min. Dive trip to The Blue Hole - December 2014.
Belize Zoo 2015 1, 6min.
Belize Zoo 2015 2, 9min.
SHARK, SNOOK, TUNA AND BONEFISH, BELIZE- Fishing Adventurer with Cyril Chauquet, 20min. Paradise Theater is located right across the Barry Bowen Bridge in San Pedro Town, Belize With two screens, watch four different movies each week
Minister Louis Farrakhan 2015, The Honorable Minister Louis Farrakhan visited Belize Central Prison, 15min.
Belize Cane Farmers, 1.5min. Belize Cane Farmers say NO to the $0.51 per ton of Cane offered by BSI/ASR for our Baggasse used to produce Electricity! Cane Farmers deserve a better pay for the by-product of their sugar cane!