FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5 and CTV 3
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe’s Woofer: How Was School?
“I need a favor if you can do it,” Melody said. “Sure,” I said. “What’s up? Something to do with Davin?” “Can you pick him up from school for the next two days? The Christmas and New Year’s holidays have me running around like crazy.” The next day I was waiting outside when the door […]

Police Department explains fines for common offences
The Belize Police Department has released a list of fines associated with certain criminal charges. Any person charged for the below offense and found guilty in court will subsequently be required to face the charges. Possession of an article with point (e.g. ice pick) – fined $100 plus a court cost of $5, in default […]

Doctor Love
Readers, please send your letters. They can be emails, formal letters or handwritten notes. They are edited solely for grammar and spelling. Also, they are sometimes edited for length. Dear Doctor Love, I have been married for ten years mostly because my husband was in charge of our lives. Two years ago I got a […]

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

A question on sugar
A cane farmer, Lucilio Teck has applied to the courts to have a mandamus order to force the "sugar board" to open the season. Prime Minister Barrow has said that the Sugar Industry Control Board (SICB) cannot force Belize Sugar Industries (BSI) or American Sugar Refineries (ASR) to accept crop for harvesting without an agreement. The P.M. has said " it is Government’s unalterable conclusion that it is impossible…impossible, to compel B.S.I. to accept cane deliveries and mill and market cane against its will." The Government via Deputy Solicitor General Nigel Hawk, Barrow and Williams for SICB and Youngs Law Firm for BSI/ASR are all fighting Lucilio Teck and his attorney Audrey Matura Shepherd in court to quash this potential writ of Mandamus. If the government is 100 percent sure that the SICB, a government body is powerless and the cane farmers are also being misled, why not let the Sugar Industry Control Board ceremoniously open the season for harvesting?

LOTTERY DRAWING
for Sunday, January 11, 2015: First: 0910 Second: 9401 Third: 8850 Missing: 2, 3, 6, 7

CTV3

O/W Mayor Weighs Issue On Prime Ministers' Press Conference
Following the Prime Minister’s Press conference yesterday’s on the issue of the Sugar Industry, much was left to be desired by cane farmers and the concerned entities of the North. Prime Minister Dean Barrow threw out a bombshell when he stated that he supports the larger cane groups if they want to go their own way and sign independently with BSI/ASR. When the issue is magnified, the announcement could lead to the breakup of the BSCFA which has served the north for over 50 years. And whilst there seems to be no amicable resolution in sight, today we caught up with Mayor Kevin Bernard while on his campaign trail and asked his view of the current happenings in the Sugar Industry. “I am of the view that the cane farmers has to benefit, BSI/ASR has to benefit and the government has a stake in this industry also has to play a key player in this thing but listening to the Prime Minister yesterday and indeed in his words he basically told the farmers go ahead and do what you need to do, those how want to individually sign go ahead and individually sign, I think it is a bad move on behalf of the Prime Minister, and this is not about politics, this is about government we are talking, bad move from the government of Belize in the case of the Prime Minister making such statement ...

Gateway IT Group Conducts Computer Repair For Orange Walkenos
Whether you use your computer at home for education, information, or a break from your busy life, nothing is more frustrating than when it fails to work properly. We all know that fixing or repairing a computer can put a dent in your wallet but thanks to the kindness of Students from Gateway Technical Collage in Wisconsin, USA, residents who were having computer issues had the opportunity to take in their devices to a free IT clinic. Rebbecca Marshner is the Leader of the IT division. Rebecca Marshner – IT Group Leader, Gateway “We are running a clinic for all the people of Orange Walk so we can fix laptops and notebooks and so if the power is on we can clean it up for you, if it has parts we can install them and like the maintenance type thing you know, we have a steady stream we have one or two lined up and they leave their phone number and name and they can leave and we work on them until four o’clock.”

Deputy Mayor Speaks On Last Phase Of Central Park
In October of last year we told you about the commencement of rehabilitation works at the Orange Walk Central Park which saw the collaboration of the Social Investment Fund and the Town Council. And while the park is still in its construction phases, today we got an update of the park progress from Deputy Mayor and Councillor in charge of parks and playgrounds, Ian Cal. Ian Cal – Deputy Mayor “From the look they are on track, the grass has been planted and the ground has been to street level because the park was below street level before so only the final touches are coming in now hopefully by the end of this month we can see it completed as per schedule and hopefully nothing else delay it and hopefully by the end of February the Orange Walkenos should see their park completed and rehabilitated.”

BCCI Issues Press Release
As each day passes and there is no crop, the amount in financial losses mounts causing a great impact to the economy of the north and the country on a whole. If we talk about the economic part of the situation it is important to mention that the export of sugar cane accounts for $107 million of Belize’s foreign exchange revenue. Due to the current sugar impasse between the manufacturer, BSI/ASR and the Belize Sugar Cane Farmers Association the foreign exchange revenue can be impacted thus posing a crippling effect on Belize’s economy. The negative economic impact that the current impasse may have is of grave concern to the Belize Chamber of Commerce & Industry, (BCCI).

The Campaign Trail Is About Informing and Interacting With Residents Of Orange Walk
With the Municipal Elections just a few weeks away, candidates from both sides of the two major political parties are hitting the campaign trail in municipalities across the country. In Orange Walk Town, much is being done to touch bases with the electorate who will go to the polls on March 5th. So, how are the teams doing and what’s the reception like from the public? According to Deputy Mayor, Ian Cal they are taking a much different approach with their campaigns making it a more informative and interactive one with the residents. “We are on the campaign trail, we were campaigning on the ground since November but as a Council the campaign never ended or started from 2012 when we got that mandate we were visiting people and we were holding neighbourhood meetings, after election time we continued with the campaign but on a different aspect being an informative campaign where we went on different ...

The Reporter

Court grants cane farmers permission to seek mandamus order
Cane farmer, Lucilo Teck and executives from the Belize Sugar Cane Farmers Association (BSCFA) were granted permission by the Supreme Court for leave to file an application for a writ of mandamus against the Sugar Industry Control Board (SICB). Justice Shona Griffith made the decision after a hearing on Friday in which, attorneys from all sides made presentations. Teck was represented by attorneys Audrey-Matura Shepherd and Anthony Sylvester. Attorney Michael Young represented BSI/ASR, SICB was represented by Rodwell Williams. Eamon Courtenay represented the BSCFA and the government was represented by Deputy Solicitor General, Nigel Hawke. Griffith set the next hearing date for February 23rd but this has caused concern for the farmers who are desperate for the season to begin.

Haiti rocked by violence
Protesters in Haiti have clashed with police in a demonstration calling for the resignation of President, Michel Martelly over long-delayed elections. Police in the capital, Port-au-Prince, fired tear gas and sprayed water on hundreds of demonstrators. Haiti is facing a major political crisis, as the mandates of its lawmakers expire at midnight on Monday. If there is no agreement to extend their mandates, Haiti will be left without a functioning government. Mr Martelly would then have to rule the country by decree. The opposition accuses him of abusing his powers. Two weeks ago, Mr Martelly announced he had reached a deal with the Congress to solve the crisis.

Patrick JonesPJ

Independent audit of Belize City Council shows improvements
Increases in expenditure reduced possible gains for the Belize City Council in the 2013-2014 financial year, according to the recently released independently audited financial statements done by Pannell Kerr Forster Belize and made available to media houses this past week. For the 2013-2014 financial year, the Council collected $25.54 million in revenue while spending $25.68 million in expenditure for an operating deficit of $136,601. The corresponding figure for 2012-2013 was $1,969,959. Leading the way was increased property tax revenues from $7.27 million to $9.39 million. The Central Government doubled its subvention to Belize City, from $2.197 million to $4.2 million.

Videos

The Human Bot Fly, 5min. Raising two dipteran children was an interesting experience. It was embarrassing on a few occasions, when both of my arms started bleeding profusely in public; painful at times, to the point of waking me up in the middle of the night; and inconvenient during the last stages of the flies’ development, when I had to tape plastic containers to my arms to make sure that I will not lose the emerging larvae. But other than those minor discomforts it was really not a big deal. Perhaps my opinion would have been different had the bot flies decided to develop in my eyelids, but I actually grew to like my little guests, and watched their growth with the same mix of pleasure and apprehension as when I watch the development of any other interesting organism under my care.
Illegal Unreported and Unregulated (IUU) fishing - Stories from Belize and Fiji, 3min. from Oceana
Spotted Eagle Ray, Half Moon Caye, Belize, 3min.
Le Belize, 5min.
Belize City to Caye Caulker, 1min. Coming in for a landing!
Rain in San Pedro, Belize, 1min.
Belize Youth Mission Report, 4min. This video is about Resolved: to Live on Mission
ZipLine w Belize, 8min.
Carroll Belize Movie Fixed wmv, 13min. Belize Snorkling.
Night Lapse Drive in Belize City, 3min. Tried the night lapse for the first time, just experimenting.
Ziplining in Belize, 10min. South Shore Zip Lining on January 6, 2015.
atv belize, 7min. This video is about atv belize with butts up cave tubing co. Belize.
I Love Belize, 3min. Montage of footage from my Nat Geo student expedition in Belize this past summer.
Cruise Day 4 Belize, 11min. Cave Tubing and Zip Lining.
GoPro Belize 2014-15, 7min.
Belize 2014, 4min. Music: "Breathing Underwater" by Metric.
Belize, 4min. Gord Martin - Belize - Food show