Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#500140 01/20/15 04:47 PM
BZ4me Offline OP
OP Offline
Still working on our residence and just noticed my Colorado driver license will expire this year. Went to the DMV site for Colorado and when I try to put in my new mailing PO Box here in Belize it didn't work. I tried using my Virtual Mail address in California but then it wanted me to get a California driver license. I went to the California driver license and because it's my first time registering it told me I had to come in. So, I'm coming to you Expats who have far more experience at these things than me for help. If I've put this in the wrong locations, Marty would you please move it to the correct one?

why not have it sent to a friend in CO?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Wondering if you can' get a Belize drivers license instead? They are accepted outside Belize.
The states issue licenses to residents, and if you no longer reside there your probably won't qualify.

Just go to Mexico and cross the border as an illegal alien and won't have any problem getting one.

R
R
Excellent suggestion, that will work plus there maybe other benefits.

Last edited by ragman; 01/21/15 07:43 AM. Reason: sp

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
R
R
That will work in most cases. I had a Scottish kid visit with me for a year or so and he had to get an International License" in order to drive my auto. I believe each State is different and the problem is mostly with the insurance companies, I'll bet.

On another note to do with this, I'm under the understanding that every American who lives out of the country has to have an address in the USA, for tax purposes in the USA. I did that for years using a Post Office type service. A Post Office Box probably won't cut it.

Both of these above comments do not affect me and my experience with the first is a little out of date.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
My doctor in California authorized me for a handicap permit when I had my hip problem. I learned a lot through this process. 1) in order to have a drivers license from any state you must state that you are a resident of that state.
2) If you state you are a resident you are subject to state income tax.
3) You can not get a handicap permit unless you have a license for that state.

They get you coming or going!

I have a Belize drivers license and it is honored anywhere. I applied for an international license and sent in my money - to I guess a black hole. I never got a response.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
BZ4me Offline OP
OP Offline
Mayor Danny said I had to have my residency before he will give me a Belize drivers license. I thought with it being an election year he would see with our purchase of property, haven't left in over 2 years, and own a cart with license and insurance he would help. Nope, just smiled and showed my husband the door.

BZ4me Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by bywarren
Just go to Mexico and cross the border as an illegal alien and won't have any problem getting one.

How do I cross the border as an illegal alien if I have a US Passport.

BZ4me Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by klcman
why not have it sent to a friend in CO?

I'll give it a go. Thanks for the suggestion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 183 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.