Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Belize plans to issue a warning to Belizeans who visit Chetumal City, Mexico and the tourism sector in that part of the country is worried about the repercussions. This is what the Mexican press is reporting. According to an article in the newspaper titled "Novedades Quintana Roo", published today December 17th, reports from Belizeans claiming to have been robbed in the city, especially by taxi operators, has prompted Belizean authorities to consider issuing a warning to the Belizean population about the dangers of visiting that part of Mexico.

Honorary Consul of Belize to Mexico Jorge Valencia is quoted saying that many complaints have been made on the social media, especially Facebook. Belizeans claim to be victims of robberies especially from taxi drivers. Valencia says he has received ten such reports. In one of these reports the complainant said they lost up to three thousand dollars' worth of items. Despite the number of reports, Valencia says that only one person has actually made an official police report and that person is waiting to get his items returned to him.

The idea of Belizean authorities issuing a warning to Belizeans on these dangers is worrying to the tourism sector. According to the article published, the municipal tourism director, Alberto Perez Barrios they have been taking action since they first heard of the issue and they hope that the warning is not issued. The president of the Hotel Association in the central and southern part of the state, Georgina Fuentes said the warning can result in the decline of Belizean visitors to the state.

Reports indicate that about thirty to thirty-six thousand Belizeans visit Chetumal only by sea every month. These visitors spend an average of one hundred to one hundred and twenty dollars in the city, according to the state's tourism board.

CTV3

M
M
Would love to see the source material for this article.I seriously questions the facts presented here including the 30,000-36,000 number of visitors per month from Belize to Chetumal by boat.

Every time I have exchanged money in the "mall" the money changer has attempted to steal from me (and my friends.) She drops the money on the floor and then when she recounts money in front of you she tells you that is the only amount you gave her. We called her out on it and got our money back a few times. I don't bother going to Chetumal any more and this is one of the reasons why.

The numbers of people traveling to Chetumal by boat include the tourists that are traveling via Cancun.

Still that is over 360,000 to 432,000 visitors a year. The whole of Belize doesn't get that many overnight tourists on an annual basis. Something wrong...

Live and let live
Have you ever investigated how many people travel to and from Belize City each day on the water taxi to San Pedro? It is somewhere in the region of 2,000 a day! Mind boggling.

Of course, I think 36K sounds high, but in the end I don't believe most of what I read these days!

That's amazing, never thought that many commute back and forward to Belize City.
Thanks for the insight.

Live and let live
Taxi operators in Mexico have frequent disputes with Belizean taxi operators. It's a territorial thing.
Some government rules and regulations prevent Belizean taxi service in some circumstances and allowed in others. My experiences are that the Mexican operators take every advantage to deceive and over charge. I've only been served well and protected by the Belizean drivers, whos normal fare is a fraction of the Mexican drivers. Definitely a mess at the boarder that both governments need to get under control.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
S
S
There are two sports in Chetumal. One is screwing a Gringo, the 2nd is screwing a Belizean. However, with that said, if you use just a little common sense, don't flash around your valuables, know just a small amount of Espanol, & show your willingness to check prices & bargain, you'll receive the respect you deserve as someone who is willing to part with their money as long as they are not (knowingly) screwed too bad. Happy shopping!

D
D
I honestly can't see why anyone would want to take a day trip to Chetumal from Ambergris. What a hassle. Any first timers thinking of doing this trip should think twice about it and stay on the island and have a few cold ones.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.