Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#500544 - 01/31/15 03:54 AM 12 Miles Of Old Northern Getting Paved
Marty Online   happy
12 miles of the Old Northern Highway will get a much needed repair after decades of neglect.

Edmond "Clear the Land" Castro, the area representative for Belize Rural North, told us today that his constituents are most anxious to have the work finished, even though it's only just started:

Hon. Edmund Castro, Belize Rural North Area Rep.
"The government of Belize through the PetroCaribe funds and the contractor is Rodla Construction. We begin the hot mix and the paving of the Old Northern Highway, the first 5 miles which will go somewhere in the Boston Area and as soon as we complete this first 5 miles from Sand Hill going in, we will commence another 7 miles, which will take us past Altun Ha Road somewhere in Lucky Strike area. So, this is some of the hard work that we are doing for the 9 villages on the Old Northern Highway. Much deserved. I think the last time this type of work was done similar to this was some 30-40 years ago and since then, no area representatives before that were able to get any of that done for the people along the Old Northern Highway."

Daniel Ortiz
"The total length of the road, will it be paved all the way to the end?"

"Basically, I have been lobbying before I got elected. It's a beautiful road and about 12 villages will use that road. I have been lobbying and basically saying we should pave from Sand Hill to Tower Hill which would be very nice. That's the Old Northern Highway. In this first and second tranche is the first 5 miles out of PetroCaribe funds and then we are doing another 7 miles and then I will be lobbying again for another maybe 10 miles that would get us through at least to Maruba, which will cover most of the villages in my constituency along the Old Northern Highway."

Daniel Ortiz
"How many villages total would experience this improvement?"

"We are looking at about 12-13 villages, because even the villages like Bomba or Maskall we haven't reached yet. This part of the road, all of us uses it, even though village as far as Santa Martha and so on making their way this way will enjoy the nice and beautiful highway."

Daniel Ortiz
"Have you gotten a reaction from the residence of the area knowing that this is on its way?"

"Definitely, they can't wait to see it get done. For a long time we've been talking about it and they believe that even when we got the contractor, they believe the contractor was taking too long and the people are anxious."

Castro will lobby to have the whole length of the Old Northern Highway to be paved sometime in the near future.

Channel 7

#504401 - 05/21/15 06:09 AM Re: 12 Miles Of Old Northern Getting Paved [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

5 Miles of Paved Road in Maskall Inaugurated

The Maskal Road otherwise known as the Old Northern Highway has undergone major rehabilitation with a five mile stretch of newly paved road. It is the first phase of an ongoing project to completely cover the 20 mile road with hot mix pavement. The initiative comes through the Minister of State, Edmund Castro, who is also the Area Representative for Belize Rural North. Castro says work on the road is overdue.

“The residents in my area and most of all, I traverse this road every day and I know the condition that this road was in. We have not had pavements on this road for some, maybe 20 or 30 or 40 years and the pavement that we are doing now with this hot mix had never been done before. So, I think it’s a great milestone, it’s a great achievement on behalf of the residents of Belize Rural North especially those who have to traverse the road to Maskall, Altun Ha and so on any given day when the tourism is at its peak we would sometimes see 30,40 up to 50 buses on this highway with some of the edges along the road which were seven to twelve inches drop. It was very devastating for our small vehicular traffic, the people who used to traverse especially the farmers are very happy to have had the improvement on the road. We have those from the tourism industry it was almost next to impossible for someone with a small car to take tour into Altun Ha because the condition was so bad and now we have more and we will continue to see more traffic in our road because of the great improvement that we were able to achieve through PetroCaribe and the Government of Belize.”

Castro said the improved road conditions will benefit residents of the area as well as the tourism industry.

“I think this type of pavement, we have never received; so, in 40 or 50 years we had never received such a nice road. Another 30 to 40 years, this road will be here when I am gone some 50 years from now this road will still be in good condition the way we are building it with the hot mix. What we are doing, it is 20 miles to Maskall, we are trying to do it in phases. We do not have the money to do the entire 20 miles all at once; so, we are doing it in different phases. The first phase was five miles which we are here to inaugurate – the completion of the first five miles and we have already begun another seven miles which will take us close to King’s College. So, one more phase from there and we will be just about where Maruba and I think I will continue to lobby so that we could at least reach by Maruba which will be a great plus not only for the farmers but also for the tourism industry and so on. So, the residents of Maskall and the old roads and the nine villages are very happy and you will see that they will return their Area Representative one more time to represent them.”

The guest speaker at this morning’s ceremony was Minister of Human Development, Social Transformation and Poverty Alleviation, Anthony ‘boots’ Martinez.

“Well this has been an initiative of Minister Castro for years from I was Minister of Works he was my deputy and it was a project that we have been pushing from a long time ago – a well-deserved project especially for the residents of the old road and also for the tourism sector because you know Altun Ha is right up the street. It is very important and I think the time has come that we supported him in Cabinet to at least get the first five miles.”

Work on an additional seven miles continues.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (Marty, cracked up, 1 invisible), 48 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,636 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,725 Topics
461,274 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.