Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#501042 - 02/13/15 06:02 PM anchoring a boat
Don Shepard Offline
Local information please.

I will be sailing past Ambergris in March. Can a 40' catamaran anchor inside the reef near San Pedro? I only need about 5 foot of water. I don't want to damage any coral... is there nice sandy spots that are not in the way of local traffic and fishing?

Edited by Don Shepard (02/13/15 06:03 PM)

#501049 - 02/13/15 07:56 PM Re: anchoring a boat [Re: Don Shepard]
SimonB Offline
You can anchor at 17.54.896N 87.57.711W that's just out front of our dock where we anchor our 38' to 46' cats when we need dock space. You'll have about 6' to 7' of water there. Make sure you use waypoints to come in through the channel, don't use what your electronic charts tell you; Navionics and others can show channels where there are none.

#501053 - 02/14/15 01:19 AM Re: anchoring a boat [Re: SimonB]
Don Shepard Offline
Thank you so much. Is there a place for Groceries; if so how far; any transportation?

Also, are there any special issues that the Harbour Master or local authorities would like me to know... I'll be travelling with an American (USA) Passport.

#501055 - 02/14/15 02:08 AM Re: anchoring a boat [Re: Don Shepard]
SimonB Offline
You can walk to grocery stores and there's plenty. You will need your Certificate of Registration, Crew List, Zarpe and you will have to fill out declarations for BAHA. I suggest you don't have any citrus or shrimp on board, they will be destroyed. Don't arrive on a weekend or holiday, before 08:30 or after 16:30 or you'll pay overtime. Don't be over the limit on tobacco (10 packs) and alcohol, 4.5 litres of alcohol per person. Drink your beer before you arrive or you'll lose it (non-Caricom beer is contraband).

#501070 - 02/14/15 12:28 PM Re: anchoring a boat [Re: Don Shepard]
Chris Offline
March can be windy and the channel can be challenging (or sometimes even closed). Don't be afraid to radio ahead and ask for guidance through the channel assuming it's open and for advice as to where to enter the reef if it's closed.

#501094 - 02/15/15 02:57 PM Re: anchoring a boat [Re: SimonB]
Lagoon 400 Offline
How intense are the searches by the Harbor Masters??? I have a 40' Lagoon Cat and that is a Big area to search...

#501104 - 02/15/15 06:59 PM Re: anchoring a boat [Re: Don Shepard]
SimonB Offline
Under bunks, under floors, in lockers and cabinets. Depends on the day. It's customs and BAHA that do the inspections. If they don't think you have something to hide you'll be fine, if not, you're on your own..

#501105 - 02/15/15 08:21 PM Re: anchoring a boat [Re: Lagoon 400]
cm815 Offline
They will take your flare guns and flares, when you go to check out they will return them to you.

#501108 - 02/16/15 10:22 AM Re: anchoring a boat [Re: Don Shepard]
Diane Campbell Offline
Remember that if you have more than 10,000 Belize dollars in cash you need to declare it.

#501121 - 02/16/15 01:41 PM Re: anchoring a boat [Re: cm815]
SimonB Offline
I disagree on the flares, all our vessels have flares on board and they are sold in the marine stores of Belize. In regards to flare guns, as long as they are being used for maritime safety they are not a problem (I went up the police ladder on that one); going around on land with one will get you put in jail.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,673 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,048 Topics
462,275 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.