Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#501057 - 02/14/15 04:25 AM Snow In Ladyville?
Marty Offline
Those who have traveled to cold countries in winter know all about snow. But, for those who don't, you won't need to travel all the way to America to find it. You can plan a more affordable trip right to Ladyville where snow - or something like it - is falling from a tree!

According to them, what looks like an icicle began to form on the tree from yesterday and survived even today's warm temperatures. If it sounds too odd to be true - that's the same thing we said, so I went to Ladyville this morning to see what it was all about..

Courtney Weatherbune reporting
This boy is waiting patiently for what residents in Ladyville are calling melted snow - to fall in the palm of his hand.

It is such a rare sight that this man stopped by just to taste it.

According to the residents, this sliver of ice which formed around one of the highest limbs of this cotton tree has been getting thicker since yesterday.

Voice of: Ladyville Resident
"It was melting and as you see it there it is thick. It was thin yesterday, because it was melting away and then when we woke up this morning, we see more."

Courtney Weatherbune
"So even more start form on it during the night up until now."

Voice of: Ladyville Resident
"Yes ma'am. I wasn't thinking anything about it. I was just like wow! First time I see something like that."

Meteorologists haven't seen this before either.

Derrick Rudon, Meteorologist
"Well, it's the first time I am hearing about it myself and the only explanation I can say is that, some form of evaporation or rapid evaporation is taking place on that branch that would cause the branch itself to cool down. If evaporation is taking place rapidly from that branch, then the branch itself would cool down because that what's happen inside an air conditioner when the Freon is forced to evaporate - it cools down whatever is around it. So, then they passed the air by the elements and the it cools down the air."

But while science can explain anything, all these residents need to know is that it's snowing in Ladyville, or something like that.

In terms of temperature lows, the Met Office recorded 63.4 degrees Fahrenheit on Thursday and 66.3 today at the airport. According to Rudon, it would be even warmer in Ladyville so it is baffling how this ice formation could withstand the heat. Met officers continue to research.

Channel 7

#501061 - 02/14/15 04:51 AM Re: Snow In Ladyville? [Re: Marty]
SimonB Offline
Puts palm to face... it's frog spawn...

#501085 - 02/15/15 05:03 AM Re: Snow In Ladyville? [Re: Marty]
Diane Campbell Offline
I love Simon. He really does know almost everything!! And he's funny.

#501141 - 02/17/15 03:53 AM Re: Snow In Ladyville? [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Was Icicle In Ladyville Just Bug Droppings?

On Friday we told you about what looked like the formation of an icicle on the limb of a cotton tree in Ladyville. It caused quite a stir in the community because some residents thought it was snow. As we reported, meteorologist Derrick Rudon attributed this occurrence to an excessive cooling of the limb or rapid evaporation. But that might not be the only explanation. According to email and facebook chatter we've picked up on, the sliver of ice may be the work of what's known as a spittlebug.

Now, a spittlebug feeds on plant sap. But as they ingest the sap it is secreted from their bodies at a rapid pace. This secretion forms what is called a "spittle mass" or what we would call foam or lather -which acts as a shield from predators. We contacted the director of plant protection at BAHA today and he was unable to confirm this theory without an onsite inspection. But according to him, the possibility of it being a spittlebug is questionable because 1.) It wouldn't be oozing or dripping liquid and 2.) Growth of these bugs would normally slow down during the cool morning weather. So it still remains a mystery to residents, meteorologists and BAHA. We will keep following up on it.

Channel 7

#501195 - 02/18/15 05:50 AM Re: Snow In Ladyville? [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

The Spittle Bug’s Deceiving Secretions

It wasn't snowing in Ladyville after all. BAHA representatives inspected the cotton tree in Ladyville today and confirmed that it was the spittlebug's secretion or "spittle mass" as it is referred to; NOT ice. According to them, these bugs attack mostly plants and agricultural crops. BAHA's Entomologist, Adriano Vasquez discussed the extent of damage they cause to crops and what can be done to eliminate these bugs:

Spittlebugs or "El Salivaso" as they are referred to in the North, also attack sugar cane crops. Hosing down the tree or plant along with common pesticides will get rid of these bugs. There are thousands of species of spittlebugs and one that is a common threat to Craboo and Soursop trees is the plant hopper. They also cause extensive damage to plants. As a final note, the spittle mass has also been spotted on a tree in Jamaica, misleading people into thinking it was ice. According to an online news site entitled RJR NEWS, the mass or frothy substance was seen on a branch of a Dogwood Tree in Trelawny, Jamaica…

Channel 7

#501205 - 02/18/15 07:00 AM Re: Snow In Ladyville? [Re: Diane Campbell]
SimonB Offline
I was close but no cigar.

#501348 - 02/21/15 05:06 AM Re: Snow In Ladyville? [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

On Tuesday we confirmed that the icicle formation found on a cotton tree in Ladyville was in fact spittle mass - which is secreted from spittlebugs and acts as a safety shield. Well, according to CTV3 news another formation was spotted on a fig tree in Orange Walk. A resident reported that she was hanging out clothes in her yard when she felt water drops on her forehead. When she looked up at the fig tree she saw the limb dripping. Based on the report, it could be a formation called "cuckoo spit" which is formed by the frog hopper.

Channel 7

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 17 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,679 Topics
461,170 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.