Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#501498 - 02/25/15 12:20 PM NOTICE from The San Pedro Police Formation
Marty Offline
Please be informed that you’re cordially invited to a community meeting that will be held at the San Pedrito Park on Thursday February 26, 2015 at 6:00PM.

Organized by the San Pedro Police Department, this meeting is in order to discuss current social issues, and your voices will be heard. Your presence will play a vital role in the rehabilitation of the San Pedrito Community.

#501536 - 02/26/15 03:27 AM Re: NOTICE from The San Pedro Police Formation [Re: Marty]
lisalee Offline
I have been following this site and I've been to San Pedro 4 times.
I have made new friends there.
I have read about all the killings and robberies.
I was also a police officer in the US.
The mayor has stated that he could make a phone call and the drug people on the north side of the
island, would be removed. Is anyone going to this meeting to remind
him of this statement? He needs to make this phone call now !

#501537 - 02/26/15 05:28 AM Re: NOTICE from The San Pedro Police Formation [Re: lisalee]
Laguna Punta Offline
...viscosity very thin.

#501539 - 02/26/15 11:01 AM Re: NOTICE from The San Pedro Police Formation [Re: Marty]
elbert Offline
Lisalee, two soldiers ride up and down the beach twice a day on motorcycles carrying M16's they stopped and gave me their cel numbers and I'm guessing that is a result of the phone call from our mayor.
They also solved a few issues of riding motorcycles on the beach when they ran into some of the blockades left by resorts.

#501542 - 02/26/15 12:01 PM Re: NOTICE from The San Pedro Police Formation [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

San Pedro Police Will Have Community Meeting

The community of San Pedro continues to be outraged at senseless murder of the 2 year-old toddler Daniel Espat, who was killed in his bed as he lay beside his mother and father. Well, police aren’t making much headway, and so, they’re appealing to the community, especially residents of the San Pedrito area, to come forward and give them information.

Commanding Officer Luis Castellanos told us this evening, that the investigation is somewhat stalled because they have no leads. So, San Pedro Police has a community meeting scheduled tomorrow in which the residents are being invited to come out and voice their opinions. Castellanos is hoping that the meeting is a step in the right direction to restore the public confidence in the police so that information about this and other open murder investigations can move forward with the help of informants within the community.

As we reported, the two year old baby Daniel, was sleeping with his father, Rolando Espat Sr., and his mother, Aleyda Sandoval in their apartment in the San Pedrito area yesterday at around 2 a.m. That’s when someone sprayed the house with bullets which penetrated the door and the walls. Baby Daniel was hit twice in the head, and he was pronounced dead on arrival at the San Pedro Poly Clinic. His mother, Aleyda Sandoval was hit in left elbow, and the bullet traveled up to her shoulder. She’s receiving medical treatment at the KHMH.

With the death of Baby Daniel, Rolando Espat Sr. has lost 4 sons, one nephew, and a brother in law to violence, 5 of them to gun violence. Police believe it is the result of a drug war on the island between two rival crews battling for control and possession of drugs that float up on the north end of ambergris Caye.

Channel 7

#501599 - 02/27/15 01:02 PM Re: NOTICE from The San Pedro Police Formation [Re: Marty]
bywarren Offline
Update on the meeting:
The meeting was well attended by the concerned residents of San Pedrito. The police gave an in-depth presentation by Supt. Castellanos, ASP Jemmott, Insp. Broaster and PC Choc regarding the crime statistics, programs in place and future efforts along with the limitations they face regarding equipment, personnel and other lacking resources. They also acknowledged the problems regarding the lack of trust and cooperation by residence where distrusts exists between residents and police. They went in depth discussing the programs and alternatives for residents who feel a reluctance to engage with the police.
I was disappointed in the participation by representatives of business whose success is dependent on eliminating, what I consider the biggest threat to tourism and the future of the island – crime. Tropic Air was represented along with Sotheby’s Real-estate, who both offered comments. My apologies if I failed to recognize any others who attended and did not speak.
There were three people on the agenda scheduled to speak who either did not show up or failed to give comments. One of which was the Mayor who arrived at the close of the meeting and gave no comments. Minister Heredia also arrived late but gave no comments, although he was not scheduled to speak. I know they both have busy schedules, but was disappointed on such a serious issue that they could not be available to express their concerns and offer information on what they intended to do help with the issue.
All in all, a step in the right direction if followed up with action on both the police and the residents. The issue foremost addressed was the need of both the police and community to be more involved and work together.

#501621 - 02/27/15 11:07 PM Re: NOTICE from The San Pedro Police Formation [Re: bywarren]
Go South Offline
The absence of speech(s) for resolutions from government officials such as the mayor and the minister of tourism speaks volumes about this recent tragic event.
If one had serious intentions about resolving crime on the island, would it not be better to have a town hall meeting at a location that could accommodate all interested participants such as the Paradise Theatre.

#501622 - 02/28/15 12:23 AM Re: NOTICE from The San Pedro Police Formation [Re: Marty]
ckocian Offline
Saying nothing says a lot. Silence is complicity.

#501623 - 02/28/15 12:29 AM Re: NOTICE from The San Pedro Police Formation [Re: Marty]
Inplub Offline
Well said Go South.

#501625 - 02/28/15 12:53 AM Re: NOTICE from The San Pedro Police Formation [Re: Go South]
bywarren Offline
In all fairness, additional meetings are planed. Due to the recent violence in the San Pedrito area the police felt that was a good place to start.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,016 Topics
462,196 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.