Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#50159 03/11/02 10:57 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Two weeks from today my wife and I will be in AC! I can't wait. I have been counting the days for the last 3 months - yes my life is that boring! Anyway, want some info. on when to and how much to tip for services rendered on AC. Is it common practice to tip your guides on snorkling trips etc.. We are staying at Victoria House starting on 3-25. ChooChoo send me an e-mail if you are still interested in getting together for a Belikin. [email protected] Thanks!

#50160 03/11/02 11:35 AM
Yes, it is common to tip your guides but it shouldn't be an absolute. If you are happy with your trip and your guide, show it with a tip. If you are unhappy, don't tip. Feel free to explain why you aren't happy, if you deem it necessary. Just remember some things are not the guides fault.

If you feel your guide went the extra mile for you, gave you or someone in your family extra assistance, or totally blew you away for some other reason, give them a better tip.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#50161 03/11/02 12:19 PM
K
KJ Offline
K
We'll be in AC 17 days and counting, this is a good ? I also was going to ask. Please let us know what is a customary % to tip for guides, meals, taxi's (to and from airport), do we tip water taxi's, what to you tip at condotels.
Thanks again,wish we could be there for the 22nd board meeting but we don't arrive till the 28th. Hope to run into some of you somewhere. Staying north of the cut at Belizean Shores, my family can hardly wait.
KJ

#50162 03/11/02 01:04 PM
Boilermaker..watch your email.

KJ, we'll be slippin' up to BZS to check out the new bar and grill probably several times. I'll also be up with the developer to do a little business.

We get to SP the 26th.

CC

#50163 03/11/02 02:35 PM
Boiler....

e-mail addy didn't work. Is it right?

CC

#50164 03/11/02 06:07 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Sorry ChooChoo, try [email protected]
If that doesn't work, post your e-mail and I'll reply. I must admit - computers and I do not mix well. Rum and Coke is the kind of mix that suits me just fine!

#50165 03/11/02 08:19 PM
J
J
Just FYI: On AC the best-paid waiters make about US$100 per week. Rent for a very, very basic room will take 1/3 to 1/2 of that and they don't get a break on the prices you see at the grocery and clothing stores. Lots of the waiters have family and depend on the tips of the tourist trade to make any sort of living.

While tipping isn't demanded, it is considered a "reward" for good service (just as it should be in the US!). If service is poor, tell the staff member and any management present why there's no tip. No one learns in a vacuum and friendly, constructive advice is usually appreciated. Boorish behavior is just that -- whether you're on vacation or not.

The waiters are aware that sometimes they are the only Belizeans you have contact with and, believe me, they want your repeat business. Most of them are the friendly, personable people you hear about on this board and they're working hard to please you -- sometimes with understaffing problems and relatively primitive kitchen conditions.

Belize isn't Europe and a service charge is not automatically added to your bill in a restaurant. Please remember to tip for the good service you receive.

#50166 03/12/02 12:53 PM
K
KJ Offline
K
ChooChoo
Maybe we'll run into you at BZS. I'll be there with my husband and son 16 yrs and daughter 13 yrs. Love to visit with people.

We'll be at BC's BBQ after Easter Mass too if any board people are there say hi!
16 more days and counting

KJ from MN

#50167 03/12/02 06:03 PM
kj,

There is rumor that after Mass Mrs CC will be holding a large birthday gathering for one of her best friends (and one of our traveling companions) at BC's that day. There is additional, rampant speculation that it could eventually replace the time honored "Easter egg hunt" in most civilized quarters. Won't be hard to find.

#50168 03/12/02 07:25 PM
Tipping is a privlege that I hope to do for every meal. But, I've found recently that 10% tips have started to creep into some bills here in Belize and usually in Guatemala. Check the bill and try to bring a smile to someone who has taken care of you. Having earned a considerable income from tips for 4 years in my life, I watch closely for others efforts on my behalf.

Gone fishing!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 284 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.