Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#501628 - 02/27/15 10:46 PM staying busy
gsreimers Offline
My wife and I have been down to visit a couple of times and dream about spending some extended time down there in the future. (Minnesota winters are to damn long) Since I can only spend about 5 days a week sitting pool or ocean side consuming umbrella drinks, I think I would need something else to do to stay out of trouble. What do some of you expats do down there to stay occupied. I know you can not be employed, but can you volunteer?

When we've visited, I've always noticed the school kids running around. Can one volunteer to help out at the schools. My wife is a special ed teacher and some of my best times with my children as they grew up was helping them with homework. Are there opportunities to work with local children to do tutoring?

Just curious to see what some of you who are down there do?

#501649 - 02/28/15 09:41 AM Re: staying busy [Re: gsreimers]
Inplub Offline

#501652 - 02/28/15 10:59 AM Re: staying busy [Re: gsreimers]
ScubaLdy Offline
John - you are right - but lots of people do volunteer stuff. I'm thinking of Holy Cross School and SAGA in particular.

G S Reimer - I don't think you will get any information you can use here on a public message board. I suggest you ask to connect with someone who is actually doing this and communicate privately.
Take only pictures leave only bubbles

#501655 - 02/28/15 03:05 PM Re: staying busy [Re: gsreimers]
reaper Offline
When was the last time someone was deported for volunteering their time to a good cause?

#501658 - 02/28/15 04:48 PM Re: staying busy [Re: gsreimers]
ckocian Offline
The question is, would that argument fly with immigration if they decided to implement the law? Because they can.

#501659 - 02/28/15 05:41 PM Re: staying busy [Re: reaper]
ragman Offline
A couple of years ago, maybe 3 they came out to the medical school in San Pedro and arrested 4 or 5 doctors (or other med. types) who were volunteer teachers at the medical school. They brought them all to Belize City. It was in all the papers and I knew someone who had a connection with one of those who were arrested. I think that saga lasted about 3 days and somehow the school got them work permits on the quick and then they were released. It was very embarrassing for the country; those arrested and the school.

It can happen. Most of my work is really volunteering in my profession as an engineer and is one reason I decided not to go QRP, even after I was accepted. I felt that if I had someone fired or looked at them wrong I would be in a bad position. I'm not comfortable operating like that so PR was a better route to go. Also those of you who know me understand how I feel about reporting my financials via by Belize Bank accounts every year. That is almost more than I can bear. Of course I have to bear myself every year in my own country which is almost unbearable for me. I don't mind paying my share of taxes but is it really necessary to climb up my butt for closer examination. smirk
Somewhere on a beach in Belize

#501661 - 02/28/15 07:25 PM Re: staying busy [Re: gsreimers]
Inplub Offline
I believe it states in the second stamp in your passport you can not work or do volunteer work, so are you letting everybody to break the LAW?

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (CayeMarie, Judyann H., Pokey), 39 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,632 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,705 Topics
461,221 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.