Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#501634 - 02/28/15 12:08 PM Ashcroft Would be surprised at Campaign Financing
Marty Offline
And while he had no opinion on marijuana, what we wanted to hear was his view on the upcoming municipal election. Dating back to the 90's, Ashcroft has been perhaps the most influential campaign financer in Belize's history. The billionaire has pumped millions into both the PUP and UDP. But now his fight is with the Barrow Administration, and so, we wondered - with just days to go before the election - is he here to weigh in decisively for the PUP - which is starved for campaign cash? He told me, that's not what this trip is about:..

Courtney Weatherburne
"In terms of political funds, or funding for campaigning for either party, would you care to comment on that?"

Lord Michael Ashcroft
(Laughs)

"Well over the years and in many countries including the United Kingdom, I've made political contributions and it's fairly well known in Belize that over the years I have helped both parties. Uhm, I don't believe that one party should be dominant in a small country, because when party is dominant, it can lead to excesses in many areas. And I believe there has to be a thriving opposition. So, in cases where perhaps a government has twenty something seats and an opposition has a handful, then I think oppositions at least need something to put their case, ah, to the public."

Courtney Weatherburne
"Ok, great, and there's no point I should say expectation from either party in terms of for you bringing in or coming in at the last minute to give funds?

Lord Michael Ashcroft
(chuckles)

"Ha, no, I would be very surprised."

Courtney Weatherburne
"If they would actually be that way..."

Lord Michael Ashcroft
"I would be very, I would be very surprised."

Courtney Weatherburne
"Anything else you'd like to add in terms of your position, any outcome, or preferred outcome in terms of the election, or any vested interest you have in terms of the outcome of the elections?"

Lord Michael Ashcroft
"No, I would just like to see…Belize has everything going for it and what Belize needs is strong and honest leadership that can really pull this country forward. And I just hope that eventually when there is a general election, that the electorate make up their mind as to who is best for the country."

Ashcroft is Belizean citizen - who, after mostly staying away for some time after the UDP won in 2008 - has indicated that he will be a more regular presence in Belize in 2015. Ashcroft spent some of his childhood years in Belize while his father was a colonial civil servant.

Channel 7

#501784 - 03/04/15 12:04 PM Re: Ashcroft Would be surprised at Campaign Financing [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Lord Ashcroft Leaves (Nothing Behind For PUP)

Today the PUP Belize City slate held a motorcade through the city. The crowd was pumped up - and the 23 vehicles were riding low with supporters falling out the windows. It was a good enough show - and it probably didn't cost more than a few gallon of gas. And that's the way it has to be for the PUP because credible sources confirm that Lord Ashcroft left the country today and didn't leave anything behind for the PUP. Last week he stopped in at Spoonaz café to sip a beer and told us that he would be very surprised if he ended up making a campaign contribution to the opposition. Well, we are told he didn't - and the PUP is expected to be significantly outmatched in funding by the UDP tomorrow. Two city bosses for two separate southside UDP divisions have told us that they expect to employ as many as 500 election day workers in each division. For those not familiar with the lingo, election day workers are those paid to show up early on election day, put on a short, go to vote, and then, most likely, disappear…

Channel 7

Lord Ashcroft's Millions (2010)

Lord Ashcroft, the biggest political donor since records began, resigned as deputy chairman of the Conservative Party in September 2010. His millions helped bank-roll David Cameron into power, but where does Lord Ashcroft's money come from? Panorama travels to other countries he calls home, and hears allegations about secret deals and tax avoidance.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,021 Topics
462,212 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.