Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#501628 02/27/15 10:46 PM
G
OP Offline
G
My wife and I have been down to visit a couple of times and dream about spending some extended time down there in the future. (Minnesota winters are to damn long) Since I can only spend about 5 days a week sitting pool or ocean side consuming umbrella drinks, I think I would need something else to do to stay out of trouble. What do some of you expats do down there to stay occupied. I know you can not be employed, but can you volunteer?

When we've visited, I've always noticed the school kids running around. Can one volunteer to help out at the schools. My wife is a special ed teacher and some of my best times with my children as they grew up was helping them with homework. Are there opportunities to work with local children to do tutoring?

Just curious to see what some of you who are down there do?

Thanks

gsreimers #501649 02/28/15 09:41 AM
You CAN NOT WORK here or do VOLUNTEER WORK WITHOUT A WORK PERMIT.

gsreimers #501652 02/28/15 10:59 AM
John - you are right - but lots of people do volunteer stuff. I'm thinking of Holy Cross School and SAGA in particular.

G S Reimer - I don't think you will get any information you can use here on a public message board. I suggest you ask to connect with someone who is actually doing this and communicate privately.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
gsreimers #501655 02/28/15 03:05 PM
When was the last time someone was deported for volunteering their time to a good cause?

gsreimers #501658 02/28/15 04:48 PM
The question is, would that argument fly with immigration if they decided to implement the law? Because they can.

reaper #501659 02/28/15 05:41 PM
R
R
A couple of years ago, maybe 3 they came out to the medical school in San Pedro and arrested 4 or 5 doctors (or other med. types) who were volunteer teachers at the medical school. They brought them all to Belize City. It was in all the papers and I knew someone who had a connection with one of those who were arrested. I think that saga lasted about 3 days and somehow the school got them work permits on the quick and then they were released. It was very embarrassing for the country; those arrested and the school.

It can happen. Most of my work is really volunteering in my profession as an engineer and is one reason I decided not to go QRP, even after I was accepted. I felt that if I had someone fired or looked at them wrong I would be in a bad position. I'm not comfortable operating like that so PR was a better route to go. Also those of you who know me understand how I feel about reporting my financials via by Belize Bank accounts every year. That is almost more than I can bear. Of course I have to bear myself every year in my own country which is almost unbearable for me. I don't mind paying my share of taxes but is it really necessary to climb up my butt for closer examination. smirk

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
gsreimers #501661 02/28/15 07:25 PM
I believe it states in the second stamp in your passport you can not work or do volunteer work, so are you letting everybody to break the LAW?

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.