Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5 and CTV 3
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Ambergris Today

Pic of the Week- Marine Life Encounters in Belize
With rain clouds threatening to change the course of our field day and subsequently drenching our students and team we were not sure how our Kids Meet Sharks field trip would unfold. Well, it turned into a magnificent day of sunshine, of learning and conquering of fears. For us it means the world to see students' eyes light up when they snorkel for the first time and see big fish, sharks, rays, turtles and more, all with their barrier reef as a backdrop. These are life changing moments for some and we feel privileged to have enabled these pivotal points and been witness to a shift in how they perceive their world. Thank you Ecology Project International and Restore Belize for choosing such a wonderful group of high school students and thank you to the teachers for accompanying them and also gamely taking part of the in-water fieldwork.

Mayor Danny & Deputy Mayor Gary to Lead New San Pedro Town Council
In a small ceremony held on Friday, March 6. 2015, members of the newly elected San Pedro Town Council were officially sworn in before a gathering of key party supporters, family and friends. After each town councilor was sworn, Mayor Daniel ‘Danny’ Guerrero reiterated the fact that his new town council is ready to start working hard for the community of San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize. He stressed the fact that the new town council members had already met twice before the swearing in ceremony to kick-start the functioning roles of each councilor. Their individual portfolios will be announced shortly. Announced during the ceremony was Mr. Gary Greif’s appointed as Deputy Mayor of San Pedro Town. Mayor Danny highlighted the fact that the younger councilors received higher votes during elections, an indication of changing times and the trust of the community on the younger generation. He stated that the new Town Council is very positive in giving much more responsibility to the newly elected councilors.

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

The Role of Budgeting Workshop
March 12th, 2015 Time: 9am to 12pm. Objective: Learn to create an accurate operating budget that helps your company achieve its goals. Your Immediate Takeaway Gain tools and insights to develop a realistic budget Get hands-on practice perfecting a budget Use budgeting to help determine strategic direction Being responsible for the budget means you're playing a vital role in your organization's future. Your budget enables you to pinpoint critical variables that impact profit so your company can successfully pursue its goals and continue to grow. Workshops provided by SBDCBelize

SBDCBelize Workshop Calendar 2015-2016

BELIZE FISHING REPORT: Week of March 1– March 7th, 2015
Tarpon (Sabalo): Junior was back to his spots and had more tarpon hookups with returning guest Rob who stopped by for a few days while visiting his son who is on the island. Philip is learning how to resist a trout set on tarpon, the excitement of the take and the 20 years of trout fishing is keeping Philip from realizing his full potential! Captain Vince is sure he will get one tomorrow! Sure enough Philip and Vice got it done the next day! The hard work paid off! Andy and Captain Cesar teamed up for a tarpon on his 3-day outing. Lon and Janice each got a tarpon to the boat while fishing with Captain Junior up near Bacalar Chico National Park. Benji got a beauty on hos last day and 16 year olds Calyton and JT got tarpon on ifirst days! A great week despite some midweek wind, with good numbers of all 3 species brought to the boat.

San Pedro Town Council 2015-2018, Mayor and Councilors sworn in
San Pedro Town Council 2015-2018, Mayor and Councilors, officially sworn in on Friday, March 6th, 2015 at a small ceremony at the San Pedro Town Council's conference room. The Mayor and Councilor's portfolios are yet to be announced; however, Mr. Gary Greif has been appointed as the Deputy Mayor of San Pedro Town. We congratulate the new Town Council 2015-2018 members and we wish them the very best in their future projects and endeavors.

Congratulations to Corozal's BTL COBBS ARM for taking 1st Place in this year's LA RUTA MAYA RIVER CHALLENGE
Cobbs Arm has always finished in the top 5. These guys deserve the win and once again congratulations from the Corozal Daily:- Here are the winners for the 2015 Belikin La Ruta Maya Belize River Challenge : * Bravery and Heroic Action Awards- Belize Bank Bulldogs and Westrac Stingers. A second award was also presented to both teams by Oceana for the heroic actions that saved a person's life. * Perseverance Award donated by The National Celebrations Commission: Whateva Boys *Male Division 1st Place- BTL Cobbs Arms 2nd Place- NICH 3rd Place- OCB Wave Makers Female Division 1st Place- Koop Sheet Metal 2nd Place- Belize Bank Bulldogs Female Team 3rd Place- Belize Coast Guardians

Ruta Maya Rescue
KUDOS to Belize Bank and Westrac teams who without hesitation, fell behind the race to safe someone's life after he fell in the river. GOD bless.

Belize Screen on the Green is back this Thursday, MARCH 12!!!
Please join us for the screening of the movie "The Help" in honor of International Women's Day at GG Field in Belmopan. As always movie starts at dark and is free to the public, and popcorn and drinks are served on a first come first serve basis. The Help stars Emma Stone as Skeeter, Viola Davis as Aibileen and Octavia Spencer as Minny-three very different, extraordinary women in Mississippi during the 1960s, who build an unlikely friendship around a secret writing project that breaks societal rules and puts them all at risk. From their improbable alliance a remarkable sisterhood emerges, instilling all of them with the courage to transcend the lines that define them, and the realization that sometimes those lines are made to be crossed-even if it means bringing everyone in town face-to-face with the changing times. Parents please note the rating: PG-13 (for thematic material) Theme: American History, Women’s Empowerment Please note there is a typo below on the date - it will be held Thursday March 12 NOT March 14.

OCEANA Science Symposium
We are pleased to extend an invitation to the tertiary and secondary institutions in Belize to attend this symposium to learn more about the economic, ecologic and cultural benefits of our amazing Belize Barrier Reef as well as the threats affecting our world renowned marine environment.

Kids Meet Sharks - Belize City Students
With rain clouds threatening to change the course of our field day and subsequently drenching our students and team we were not sure how our Kids Meet Sharks field trip would unfold. Well, it turned into a magnificent day of sunshine, of learning and conquering of fears. For us it means the world to see students' eyes light up when they snorkel for the first time and see big fish, sharks, rays, turtles and more, all with their barrier reef as a backdrop. These are life changing moments for some and we feel privileged to have enabled these pivotal points and been witness to a shift in how they perceive their world. Thank you Ecology Project International and Restore Belize for choosing such a wonderful group of high school students and thank you to the teachers for accompanying them and also gamely taking part of the in-water fieldwork." "We are thankful to our donors the Wildlife Conservation Network, the New England Biolabs Foundation and the Whitley Fund for Nature for their support of KMS. We also send a big shout out to Mariela Archer who tirelessly educates so many about the Hol Chan Marine Reserve, and to Ambergris Divers for providing the boat and staff at cost for this KMS trip."

BOLEDO DRAWING for Tuesday, March 10, 2015: 97. FANTASY 5: 13 14 26 25 28 A

Placencia Lagoon Development Plan
Final Stakeholders Meetings. Click here for the draft plan

Skill Session Sundays
LASCoop comes together every Sunday to learn, share, and grow with one another. Each Sunday the members are introduced to a new concept, or continue working on the same one from the following week to advance their skill sets in sewing and handicrafts. Sometimes the members will also have a workshop session to further their knowledge, and abilities in handling their business, and their personal growth.

Western Ballaz Defeat No Limit
The Western Ballaz defeated the No Limit 64 - 57. David Robinson put together a video collage of recent pictures. Well done. Go, Western Ballaz!

Channel 7

Secret Recording Captures Hon. Briceno Blazing His Party and Leader
Last week, we reported on the explosive recording that's out there. Well tonight, it's in here, we have it. It's over an hour long and it is loaded. We'll present the juicy bits tonight, but first some background. In it, former PUP leader John Briceno is heard talking to a disgruntled PUP supporter in Orange Walk East. Briceno went to try and get his support after the divisive Orange walk East convention in January. Briceno's candidate, Josue Carballo, won the convention and David Burgos lost. The man Briceno is talking to is an embittered Burgos supporter and Briceno is trying to bring him around. It is believed that this person secretly made the recording of a face to face conversation. All this background to say that what you are about hear is the product of a PUP on PUP war - but tonight it is a national nuclear meltdown for the PUP. But more than a meltdown, it's like a nuclear attack and the one who pushed the "detonate" button is Briceno. To make it very clear, it's not idle talk, and we cannot treat it as such. This is the former leader of the PUP for three and a half years and the former Deputy Prime Minister under Said Musa for nine and a half years.

Briceno’s Exit As Party Leader Was Personal
So, how would the Opposition have performed under the Briceno Leadership? Well, viewers will remember that in October 2011, Briceno stepped down as leader of Opposition, months before the General Elections of 2012, but he made it clear to his PUP colleague, who recorded their conversation, that his exit almost 3 years ago is still a sore point for him and the rest of his party. Here's what he had to say about his exit, and the financial burdens he still bears from his time as leader of the party: Hon. John Briceno "I had already spent 3 million dollars out of pocket. Something that Said nor Ralph nor George Price, nobody has done for this party. I spent 3 million dollars that I recorded. I only di tell you what these people do to you. On top of that I made a loan of 1 million dollars for the Town Council elections for 2009. Right now I have to donate $14,800 to the PUP every month for a loan they made. I am paying that, not Francis, Francis no give a [#%!], and I can tell you everything that I spent, but at the end of the day I can only say look here I can continue to lead the party but I cannot continue to spend more money because, I will bankrupt my company and my family. And like you well know your family comes first. So as not to mess up the party anymore I made the sacrifice to say you know what if you want it take it..." "Three weeks after I step down there was no National Convention…the same PUP that is the cancer of the PUP you should be talking about. That's the cancer that we have. Julian:- I'm not saying you are the cancer."

Hon. Briceno Remind Why The G7 Rebelled
That's not all Briceno had to say about Fonseca's leader of the PUP, not at all. While discussing politics with his PUP confidant who recorded the private conversation, Briceno took him on a history lesson. He started discussing parts of the Opposition's recent past that still haunts the party, discussing key elements of the financial mismanagement of the Musa administration. Some parts of the conversation we are unable to air for legal reasons, but the allegations made are documented on public record. In some instances, Briceno goes as far as calling out some of his political colleagues. What we can touch is a part of the recorded discussion he had weeks ago about a key moment of mismanagement of public funds which emerged in 2005. Viewers may remember when the story broke that the then Musa Administration gambled millions of dollars on a currency swap in the year 2000 in a deal which was overseen by Former Minister of Finance Ralph Fonseca. In that ill-advised move, some US $40 million dollars of public monies was placed in a bet that over the 5 year period which followed the Japanese Yen would weaken against the US Dollar. It happened the opposite way around and Belize ended up losing 6 million dollars just like that.

Hon. Briceno Comments, Doesn’t Deny His Explosive Claims
Back to Briceno and that explosive recording, we contacted him earlier today for comment, and this evening, he released a statement. Notably, Briceno does not shy from what he said and offers no denial of any of his claims. He says quote, "Some weeks ago I was engaged in a private conversation with two trusted members of our Party who are members of the Orange Walk East Executive. It has now come to my attention that the contents of our private conversation were recorded and circulated publicly. The discussion with these individuals was a private one and by recording and leaking it to the public is a gross violation of my privacy.

UDP Government Demands That Opposition Addresses Briceno’s Claims
And so now, coming on the heels of a massive defeat for the PUP in the municipal elections, what does this mean for the opposition? The party is already at the lowest in the Fonseca era, and so the question is whether this will drag the party down further? The days to come will tell that because as we said there's a lot of stuff on the recording, more than an hour! And the UDP sent out a release today making its position clear... Their statement says, quote, "Officials of the UDP have listened to the contents of this audio recording where Mr. Briceno is heard to confirm multiple mass corruption schemes during the Musa/Fonseca era...Mr. Briceno, it must be noted, was not just a spectator in the Musa/Fonseca period. He was the Deputy Prime Minister of Belize and the Deputy Party Leader of the PUP. Mr. Briceno knows exactly what he is talking about. The UDP believes that the Briceno tape is the most compelling evidence ever of the sweeping corruption and decay that permeated, at the highest levels, the PUP Administration and Party. Most of the players in the Musa/Fonseca Administration continue to hold senior positions in the PUP today, a clear indication that the Party has not changed.

A Senseless Killing In Orange Walk Town
Over the long weekend, there were 2 shootings, one in Belize City, and one Roaring Creek Village, Cayo, and one fatal stabbing in Orange Walk. We report first on the murder of 26 year-old Orange Walk resident, Luis Richardo Campos. His body was found at around 5 o'clock on Sunday Morning at the Waldy Cuello Stables, just off the San Antonio Road. He suffered multiple stab wounds to the throat, the right shoulder and the side of the face. Residents say that the last time they saw him alive was when he was walking on Asuncion Street in Orange Walk Town. Today, Orange Walk Police briefed the media about what they've managed to establish so far:

14 Year-old Female Got Shot
In Belize City, 2 persons were shot on Saturday night just before 9:30. Officers visited the KHMH where they found City Residents Shane Flowers, a 23 year-old, and a 14 year-old female with gunshot wounds. Initial investigations revealed that at 9:20 p.m., they were both were sitting under a house at # 10 Glynn Street when a man rode up on a bicycle and fired three shots at them causing their injuries. Flowers was injured on his head in an area where the injury was not life threatening, but the minor was shot in the abdomen. We tried to reach their families for comment today, but they declined.

Prime Minister Requests That Territorial Volunteers Cease Border Expeditions
By now, we know all about the international episode involving the Belize Territorial Volunteers and the Guatemalan Coast Guard. It happened 11 days ago but last into last week there was still a back and forth going between the Territorial Volunteers and the OAS Adjacency Zone office over mapping accuracy. And while those are technicalities, at bottom, the dispute is over whether the Guatemalan Coast Guard's interception of the Belizean boat was an act of aggression or whether it was justified. Last week Thursday, we asked Prime Minister Dean Barrow where he stood on the matter. He told us that the Territorial Volunteers did veer into Guatemalan waters: Hon. Dean Barrow - Prime Minister "These territorial volunteers man, really need to think carefully before they continue with the sorts of actions that, though well-meaning and though dressed up in the guise of patriotism and ascertain of sovereignty, really are not helpful and when you take innocent citizens on your so-called excursions, it just makes it impossible for government to feel comfortable about your activities. As I understand it, there is absolutely no doubt that they went, however unwittingly, into Guatemala. Colonel Lovell was familiar with the run of the river, so to speak, tell me that you go left after that plot of island in midstream - you are following an inlet, when you think you are coming back out into the river proper. You follow an inlet that takes you into Guatemala and that's precisely what happened.

Prime Minister Discusses The Political Sympathies Of Lake I
So, the Prime Minister has said that he won't call an election before the end of 2015. But, at three years into his current term of office, the Barrow Administration is definitely lining itself up for another general elections drive - whether that election comes in 2016 or 2017. And, with the recent landslide in the municipal elections, the UDP has to re-map its priorities and assumptions about which constituencies are winnable. For example, the PUP Municipal slate only got 29% of the vote in Punta Gorda - which forms the voting base for Toledo East. That was previously considered a safe PUP seat, but with the surprising election out-turn, it is now in play for the UDP. On the other side of that coin is Lake Independence. Somewhat surprisingly, Area Representative Mark King's significant Election Day push was negated by the PUP's returning standard bearer Cordel Hyde. Hyde ensured that Lake - I voted for the PUP municipal slate, one of only 3 city divisions to do so.

Mayor Bradley and UDP Slate Back Sworn Into City Hall
But the election results for Belize City say that incumbent Mayor Darrell Bradley and the UDP slate thoroughly defeated Mayoral Candidate Yolanda Schakron and the PUP slate by a landslide, and so today, they were officially sworn back into office. The press was invited for the event at City Hall, and Mayor Bradley addressed the gathering: Darrell Bradley, Mayor - Belize City "It has been 3 years and I look at the councilors, I look at myself and one thing I could say with certainty, that the head is greyer and the waist is tighter. But that represents years' experience coming together as a council team, as a council family and it has really been an honor for me to be mayor of Belize City over the last 3 years and it would be an even greater honor for me to go into another 3 years.

Hon. Briceno’s Take On The Ashcroft/BTL Saga
At the top of the newscast, we told you about the explosive Briceno recording in which he criticizes the PUP party and the former Government administration of the former Prime Minister Said Musa. Well, one of most memorable moments of the Musa Administration was the weaving public and government obligations it left behind which tied the country to the business interests of the billionaire Lord Michael Ashcroft. Right now, the Barrow administration is embroiled in multimillion dollar litigation with the Ashcroft group of companies where there is no foreseeable end in the near future. But, how did it happen that the Ashcroft Alliance to have ended up with controlling interest in the telecommunications company BTL? Well, former Prime Minister Briceno has an interesting take on it which he revealed to his PUP colleague who recorded him secretly. Here's how he described the moment when BTL ended up in the hands of the Ashcroft Alliance:

Convicted Murderer Appeals His Case
Belize Court of Appeal today reserved it decision for a date to be announced for the appeal of 21 year old Abimael Pott, a construction worker of Orange Walk Town who was convicted of murder and sentenced to life imprisonment. On May 6, 2014, Pott was convicted of the murder of 19 year old Shamir Gonzalez, which occurred around 4:30 p.m. on May 4, 2011, in the compound of Luisiana Government School. Gonzalez was bludgeoned to death with a metal pipe during a fight. Justice Herbert Lord was the trial judge and the trial was heard in Orange Walk Supreme Court. Pott's attorney, Hubert Elrington appealed on the ground that the judge misdirected himself on the law which required the jury to find that the accused intended to kill the deceased. Elrington further submitted that the judge used a lesser standard that the accused intended to kill and not cause serious bodily harm. Elrington also submitted that the judge apparently found that it was a fact that the accused had used excessive force in defending himself which is a defence in law to murder, but he did not direct himself to the law governing excessive force in cases of self defence.

Cacao’s Expanding Commercial Market
Apart from its rich and unique taste, Cacao holds a cultural and ceremonial significance in Belize especially in the South. The Toledo Cacao Festival is held in celebration of cacoa and chocolate. Well, in order to ensure that the flavor and ritualistic importance is preserved and carried over to international markets, a Cacao Validation workshop was held on Friday in Punta Gorda. The objective of the workshop was to assess and endorse two draft reports concerning an Industry Strategy for Belizean Cacoa. Manger of Export Belize at BELTRAIDE discussed the impact this strategy will have on the success of the industry in Belize and abroad. Lejia Melanie Gideon, BELTRAIDE "Belgium is known for, along with the Nederland's, to be the two top countries that produces chocolate, yet they do not grow Cacao beans and we went there for two things; to assess if there is a niche market for Belizean Niche products, whether it's the Cacao bean, whether its various products, along the value chain and whether it's the final product chocolate and so we went to a fair and it was a resounding yes. The amount of boutique chocolatiers that we saw and the amount of demand for various products in the value chain from the bean, up to different things, their liqueur, their cocoa butter - everything in between. There is a huge demand."

BTL Cobbs Arm: The 2015 La Ruta Maya Champs
From Last week Friday, until yesterday, residents of the Cayo and Belize Districts lined the banks of the Macal and Belize Rivers to see their favorite paddlers take on the 2015 La Ruta Maya River Challenge. The big name teams such as BTL Cobb's Arm and NICH were trying to dethrone the Belize Bank Bulldogs who came back to defend their championship. Well after 170 miles, the first teams raced into Belize City just before midday, and 7News was there. Here's how that finish looked: 1st Place went to, BTL Cobbs Arms, who defeated the second place holder, NICH, and OCB Wave Maker, who placed third.

Channel 5

Deportee Slashed in Orange Walk
The extended holiday weekend was marred by violence up north, in the city and in the west. We start in Orange Walk Town, where a recent deportee was murdered and [...]

2 Shot in the City
There was also violence in the City. Two persons, including a fourteen year old student of Wesley College, were injured in a shooting on Saturday night in Belize City. Just [...]

…And 2 More in Roaring Creek
Another shooting happened on Sunday evening. Two persons were shot when masked gunmen stormed a home in the Hattieville Area of Roaring Creek Village. The apparent target of the attack [...]

John Briceño Speaks on P.U.P.
Tonight, Orange Walk Central Area Representative John Briceño is in the spotlight following the leak of a private conversation recorded without his knowledge. According to a release issued by Briceño [...]

…Says the Party is in Disarray Under Francis Fonseca
Briceño then goes on to criticize P.U.P. leader Francis Fonseca for pushing him to one side after he stepped down, and passes judgment on Fonseca’s time at the helm of [...]

Student Drowns in Mopan River
A third-form student of Eden High School in Benque Viejo del Carmen drowned in the Mopan River on Sunday while swimming with friends. Family members believe that seventeen year old [...]

CCJ Dismisses B.N.E. Appeal
In news from the courts…The Caribbean Court of Justice, headquartered in Trinidad and Tobago, has dismissed an appeal filed by Belize Natural Energy Limited against a decision handed down by [...]

Minor to Stand Trial for Murder
It made headlines when a Belize City fourth form student who was aspiring to attend the University College of Belize, was found stabbed to death inside the Lord Ridge Cemetery [...]

Court Reserves Decision in Murder Appeal
The first session for this year for the Court of Appeal began today with the justices slated to hear four criminal matters for murder, attempted murder and two cases of [...]

Belize CitCo Sworn In
The new U.D.P. City Council was sworn in today fresh off a landslide victory at the polls last Wednesday. Mayor Darrell Bradley was returned as mayor by a huge margin [...]

Popular Priest Passes Away
Beloved and well-known Catholic Reverend Kurt Kassebeer, pastor at Our Lady of Guadalupe Co-cathedral Parish in Belmopan, passed away abruptly on Monday night.  News Five has learned that Father Kassebeer [...]

Family Alleges Excessive Force in Police Shooting
There is one more report on crime in tonight’s broadcast. It involves a shooting that took place on election night on Mayflower Street in the City in which one person [...]

Sports: Cobb’s Arms Win La Ruta Maya
Good evening, I’m James Adderley and this is Sports Monday.   The 2015 La Ruta Maya took center stage in the Jewel over the Baron Bliss weekend and here we [...]

Orange Walk District; People’s United Party Victory Rally
Following last Wednesday’s Municipal Election, over the weekend the new Mayor of Orange Walk Kevin Bernard was sworn in for a second term along with four of the former PUP councilors and two new UDP councilors. The swearing was held at the Central Park following a motorcade through the main avenue in town. Three events were held; the PUP’s victory rally, the mayor and councilors’ swearing in and the official inauguration of the refurbished Orange Walk Central Park. Here are some highlights of how it went on Saturday night in Orange Walk.

JB Resurrects PUP’s Alleged Corruptions; UDP Responds
For some weeks rumors were circulating about a recording of Orange Walk Central’s Area Representative and former PUP Leader, John Briceno. Late last week the recording, which is just over an hour long and has Briceno speaking with two members of the Orange Walk East Executive, was released in various corners. In the recording Briceno shares some candid comments about the state of the party and some members of the PUP. He also discusses areas that the leadership within the party made monumental mistakes, some of which he condemns. Today the United Democratic Party issued a release in which it states quote “Officials of the UDP have listened to the contents of this audio recording where Mr. Briceno is heard to confirm multiple mass corruption schemes during the Musa/Fonseca era including, as he put it, “the robbery of tens of millions of dollars” with such schemes as the St. James Credit Union loans, the Intelco bankruptcy, Social Security loans and guarantees, the sale and re-sale of BTL involving Ashcroft and Prosser, the US dollar/Yen Swap, the accommodation agreement, the giveaway of Belize Bank taxes, among others. Mr. Briceno, it must be noted, was not just a spectator in the Musa/Fonseca period. He was the Deputy Prime Minister of Belize and the Deputy Party Leader of the PUP. Mr. Briceno knows exactly what he is talking about.

Child Stimulation Month; Flag Day Activities Planned By Pre-Schools
Flag Day activities in connection with Child Stimulation month were held this morning in Punta Gorda. Correspondent Paul Mahung reports.

Events Leading To Band Fest 2015
One of the largest event of the year is fast approaching. Belize Band Fest will take place later this month and will see the participation of hundreds of young persons. Love News spoke with Manager and Executive Coordinator of Love FM and Love Television, Julia Carrillo, about the upcoming competition.

Appeal Date Reserved For Construction Worker Convicted of Murder
Belize Court of Appeal today reserved it decision for a date to be announced for the appeal of 21 year old Abimael Pott, a construction worker of Orange Walk Town who was convicted of murder and sentenced to life imprisonment. On May 6, 2014, Pott was convicted of the murder of 19 year old Shamir Gonzalez, which occurred around 4:30 p.m. on May 4, 2011, in the compound of Louisiana Government School. Gonzalez was bludgeoned to death with a metal pipe during a fight. Justice Herbert Lord was the trial judge and the trial was heard in Orange Walk Supreme Court.

Man Charged With Drug Trafficking and on Remand For Murder
Twenty-nine year old Delford Slusher, aka “Peter”, charged with drug trafficking for eight point nine kilograms of cannabis, changed his plea went from not guilty to guilty when he appeared today before Senior Magistrate Sharon Fraser. He was sentenced to three years and he was fined ten thousand dollars. He was given until June 30 to pay. If he defaults on payment he will serve an additional three years. Slusher was busted around 3 a.m. on June 1, 2011. The police intercepted a white pick-up truck that Slusher was driving when Slusher approached a check point on the Coastal Road. Slusher managed to escape by running into the bushes. But he left behind his driver’s license and a plastic bag containing the cannabis that was in the pan of the truck. Slusher was not apprehended by the police until about one month later. Slusher is currently on remand for a charge of murder.

Home Protector Insurance Messenger Charged with Carnal Knowledge
At a preliminary inquiry held today in the court of Senior Magistrate Sharon Fraser, one of two counts of rape against 25 year old David Gonzalez was withdrawn and substituted with carnal knowledge. Gonzalez, a messenger at Protector Insurance Company, was committed for trial in the April session of the Supreme Court for one count of rape in relation with an incident that occurred in June 2014 and one count of carnal knowledge for an incident that occurred in January 2014. The complainant, according to reports, was under the age of 14. Gonzalez was represented by attorney Michael Peyrefitte.

Patrick JonesPJ

Torch Run held to kick off Maya Day activities in Toledo
As part of festivities leading up to Maya Day, the Tumulkin Center of Learning held the annual Torch Run on Monday, March 9. It started at the Nim Li Punit archaeological site and teams of runners took th torch through several villages, including Indian Creek, Silver Creek, San […]

Messenger faces downgraded sex charges
Messenger at Home Protector Insurance Company, 25 year old David Gonzalez, will face a count each of rape and carnal knowledge in the Supreme Court in its next session. This follows the conclusion of a preliminary inquiry held before Senior Magistrate Sharon Frazer. Gonzalez originally faced two counts […]

Murder suspect pleads guilty to cannabis possession
Already facing charges of murder, 29 year old Delford “Peter” Slusher will serve three years in prison on a separate charge of drug trafficking in relation to 8.9 kilograms of cannabis. He admitted the charge when appearing today before Senior Magistrate Sharon Frazer. Slusher was additionally fined $10,000 […]

Court of Appeal opens
The first session of the Court of Appeal of Belize for 2015 began in Belize City today with the appeal of 21 year old Abimael Pott, a construction worker of Orange Walk Town who is appealing his conviction and sentence of life imprisonment on a charge of murder. […]

New Belize City Council sworn in
Five days after their win was confirmed at the polls, the new Belize City Council was sworn in at their official home of City Hall on North Front Street. The team of eleven – eight men, three women – is a diverse and experienced group. Eight councilors are […]

At the Palapa Bar, mind the gap
Here on Ambergris Caye in Belize, “Mind the gap” gained special relevance over the past weekend when the landlord of the Palapa Bar & Grill removed 10 planks in the pier used to reach the iconic bar. The man, who recently bought the property — a diminutive and abrasive Texan, kind of a very bald Yosemite Sam — claims the longtime leaseholders, Scott and Jodi Harnish, were behind in their rent. Not so. Scott and Jodi produced paperwork showing their financials are up to date and the guy’s own lawyer confirmed it from Dallas. The boards were quickly replaced — in time for locals, ex-pats and many tourists to pack the bar on Sunday in solidarity with Scott and Jodi. Many claimed they were willing to jump the gap. But getting home after drinking all that solidarity? Could have been a problem. After the boards were replaced the Texan — who clearly wants the lease broken — reportedly told Scott “I’m not done f*****g with you.” When you live on an island, the phrase “What goes around, comes around” carries serious weight. The island consensus is that time is ticking away for the tiny Texan with the hair-trigger temper. Ripping up planks is a close kin to burning bridges — although his is more of a scorched earth policy.

Palapa Bar’s New Ownership Issues a Press Release About Upcoming Changes
This morning, I received an email, a press release from Niall Gillett – whose website identifies him as a Leadership, Crisis and Reputation consultant located in Texas and Belize.

Poets Corner: Mixed Ballot
By Abdulmajeed K Nunez. If Belize is a true melting pot Why are you afraid to cast a mixed ballot? Talking to the fanatics and bigots People are fed-up of the PUDP role If the Independents had one party I'd feel consoled But no one wants to give up their party or leadership role The main point of contention like PUDP is over issue of control Belize I implore unu to play unu role Remember Belize is blessed with wealth untold Think about your children's future since PetroCaribe money done role PUP di play with people’s mind Vote outside the PUDP confines UDP di dash out money and di illegals The independents have pitiable showing A split vote would show that the country is growing It would be good for transparency and accountability An indication that for open and honest governance we ready That we tired of crooks and hustlers serving themselves cronies and families

In love with Cozumel Mexico and getting ready for Belize
My love for the Caribbean began when my husband and I took our first cruise to Playa Del Carmen and Cozumel in 2005. After that first visit, I started making plans to return for more than just a cruise stop. We have been on a total of five cruises visiting Cozumel, Playa Del Carmen, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Key West, Bahamas, Belize, Roatan and Alaska. I am not that fond of cruises, but I do like to use them for transportation to visit places to see if I might like to return for a vacation. Since that first cruise in 2005, we have traveled to Cozumel nine different times for a week’s vacation. Cozumel has become our favorite vacation and future part time retirement destination for many reasons. We love the culture, the food, the beautiful water, the friendliness of the people and we feel safe on Cozumel. The convenient flights from Texarkana AR – Dallas TX – Cozumel make it easy for us to travel to Cozumel without overnight connections. We like to snorkel and Cozumel is perfect for this activity. The shores are rocky (also called iron shore) which makes for great shore snorkeling. The island also has several reefs that are accessible by boat for snorkeling.

International Sourcesizz

'Go Slow! This is Caye Caulker
"Man, Go Slow, this is Caye Caulker!" This is what we were told as we stepped off the ferry-boat from Mexico and arrived at this little limestone atoll located off the northeastern coast of Belize. This small, idyllic island is popular with those wanting a relaxing holiday, as well as many expats looking for a more chilled out way of life. Located in the Caribbean Sea and at only 8 kilometers by 1.6 kilometers, there's really no need for a car, or any mode of transportation here! Although, some locals prefer to get around by bicycle or golf cart on the dirt roads. The island exudes happiness and tranquility. The people are friendly and the pace is very chilled out. "Go Slow" truly is the perfect motto for the island. The colorful buildings, Creole flavours, Rastafarian people and blue waters really make you feel like you're in the Caribbean, rather than Central America. The food here is amazing with BBQs popping up all over the streets in the evenings and fresh seafood being sold at various restaurants along the water. To pass the time, most travelers love to hang out at "the Split," which is a narrow waterway that divides the island into two parts. Some people say that a hurricane caused this divide; however, many locals claim that this was a man-made trench, created to make crossing the island by dugout canoe much easier, and faster!

Harpooners 'sticking fish' on screen
The makers of a new American reality show were in Nova Scotia this week filming some members of a vanishing breed - swordfish harpooners - hard at work. "I have been sticking fish for about 35 years, " said Capt. Larry Sears of Shag Harbour, a veteran swordfish chaser. A crew for the PBS series Saving The Ocean, including producer John Angier and the show's host, Carl Safina, spent five days at sea aboard Sears' boat filming the harpooners at work. "It's fabulous, " Safina, a marine biologist, said about his foray into the world of hosting television. "Mostly, I write books about how the ocean is changing." The new show is about different things that people around the world are doing to make oceans better, he said. "Swordfish harpooning is a way of catching swordfish that's clean, " said Safina, who holds a PhD in ecology. "It doesn't catch turtles and it doesn't catch sharks and it doesn't catch marine mammals. It's probably the cleanest fishery in the world." The first couple of episodes of the new series were shown in April, Angier said. The first 30–minute segment, called Shark Reef, was shot in Belize.

The 30 Most Incredible Trips to Take in 2015
Warning: unless you’re an annoyingly carefree bon vivant with a hefty trust fund, reading our annual Best of Travel awards may trigger a deep sense of dissatisfaction with the pathetic state of your mundane life. There are so many cool places to go, you’ll think as you scroll through our 30 epic selections. And not enough time! Why am I stuck at this desk! Do not panic—this is a totally natural reaction. And that’s the beauty of our annual awards. Outside has been covering the adventure-travel beat for nearly four decades, and our two veteran Best of Travel writers, Tim Neville and Stephanie Pearson, have spent months poring over the latest trip offerings and scouring the globe to uncover surprising new ideas. We know this beat, and now we’ve narrowed your choices of hotels, destinations, and outfitters from approximately 10.6 million to 30. The final choice is still on you, but the task is at least manageable. Or maybe you’ll get that trust fund. 11. Best SUP Odyssey: Belize. With the 180-mile-long Belize Barrier Reef, this laid-back country has long been a heaven for divers and snorkelers. It just got better with the world’s first lodge-to-lodge paddleboarding trip. On this guided adventure through Belize’s 118,000-acre Southwater Caye Marine Reserve, you’ll paddle four to eight miles per day through calm turquoise waters, jumping off to snorkel where spotted eagle rays and barracuda glide in reef areas too shallow for motorboats. You’ll visit with researchers at Smithsonian’s Carrie Bow Caye Field Station to learn about reef biology, stop for a beachside fresh-catch lunch at a Garifuna fishing camp, night-snorkel at Southwater Cut (a deep channel where the coral blooms after dark), and sleep in rustic overwater bungalows on tiny Tobacco Caye and in the seclusion of private Southwater Caye, 12 acres ringed by white sand in the Belize Barrier Reef. $1,829 for six days.

Caught with their pants down, literally. “Pissing in public considered an immoral act in Mexico” March 10 N QROO reports that the Tourism Police in Cancun detained and arrested several youth from Belize, United States and United Kingdom for the immoral act of pissing in public, excessive consumption of alcohol, damage to private property among other charges.

• Daniel Guerrero sworn in for his second term as San Pedro Town Mayor, 1min.

• Davis Falls, Belize, 2min. Second highest waterfall in Belize. Just over 500ft high.

• Airplane Landing at Caulker Island Belize, 1min. Short stop at Caye Caulker Island on way to Ambergris Island in Belize.

• Tropic Air Belize's new office complex, under construction, 7sec. This is quite possibly the longest building on Ambergris Caye - right??

• Welcome to Belize (short version), 3min. Documentary about how Andy Palacio became a hero in Belize.

• Dolphins in Belize, 2min.

• FAST golf cart ride, northern Ambergris Caye, Belize - road trip!, 2min. Touring the northern part of Ambergris Caye by way of quick little golf cart.

• Belize Scuba, 17min. Barracuda guides the tour with sharks in the shadows.

• Spelunking in Belize, 41min. Adventure caving to Wonderland in Belize.

• Belize Fanboat Ride, 7min. While on his cruise, Nick's ship stopped off the coast of Belize, the small country south of Mexico's Yucatan. Here his family took a fanboat ride with Chukka airboats. They toured the wildlife refuge, a protected marshland area similar to Florida's Everglades. 450 horsepower! Unfortunately, no footage of manatees or crocodiles, they were good at hiding this day. Nick's sister was lucky enough to ride up in the spotter's seat next to the pilot!

• LA Ruta Maya Belize, 3.5min.

• GoPro Belize 2015, 4min.