Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Authorities are currently investigating the death of 66-year-old American National Roger Piper, from Arizona, Texas USA who passed away during a dive expedition. Initial reports indicate that Piper, along with his family, employed Amigos de Mar Diver Center for a dive trip to the Blue Hole on Tuesday, March 10th.

At about 50 feet below water, Piper started to experience breathing complications and alerted the Amigos del Mar dive crew. He was brought up to the surface but Piper was already unconscious. The team performed primary dive medical care in attempts to resuscitated Piper. All attempts failed.

Click here to read the rest of the article in the San Pedro Sun

A
A
There is quite a bit of incorrect information here regarding our friend. I hope this is just your newspapers negligence in checking facts and not the dive shop trying to cover themselves.

S
S
What are the facts?

A
A
Roger Pieper, a recently retired airline pilot, in excellent health and with no medical or heart problems at all, was completing his dive at the Blue Hole. He was an experienced diver who had dove the Hole 2 1/2 years ago as well. I guess we need to go back and ask the dive shop people who brought him to the boat to ask them what they actually reported to the police, as what was reported in the article was not what any of us heard or saw on the police reports. I pray his family never has to see the hurtful things written, and I hope the paper prints a correction and apology in case they do.

P
P
Yes, Azgirl where is your authentication of the fact that this unfortunate man had no heart disease?

A
A
I find it disgraceful that the San Pedro times, a " news source" is not being asked to produce their facts to prove something they printed in the press as accurate. Whoever wrote the piece clearly was not privy to doctor reports or anyone who witnessed the event. If they did say they were, they were lieing. It is the paper now that has the onus of proof, not us. There is no great mystery here. Just a wonderful man who is gone. His family should not have to see inaccurate hurtful things in print.

[quote= It is the paper now that has the onus of proof, not us. [/quote]

This is an unfortunate tragedy for the family and friends.
It appears to me that you are inferring potential liability on the dive operator or others involved with the accident. If that is the case, a message board is not the place to address that. The proof falls on those suggesting that and should be addressed thru the proper legal channels.
An anonymous person raising it on a message board seems to me to accomplish nothing other than causing more pain for the family.
If I were to believe everything I read or heard in the media, I would be less than informed and do not expect press reports to always be 100% accurate.
If you feel this is not a legal issue and only one of inaccurate reporting, and assuming you have facts to contradict what was reported, then a letter to the editor of the paper pointing out those facts would seem a better options than making innuendos on a message board.

Last edited by bywarren; 03/15/15 09:20 AM.
Dear Azgirl
I see that you just registered for this forum yesterday. Perhaps you have been a lurking here and do know many of us - again perhaps this is your first visit.

Everyone on the island suffers a loss when a diver dies. Newspapers 'report' the news; they do not make it up. This is so world wide. Most of us here personally know everyone who works at the newspaper and I can testify they they are extremely cautious in their reporting.

Many of us are divers and understand the risks involved in this sport. Just out of curiosity - are you a diver? Were you on the boat when this happened?

I think all of us are eager to know the facts - please stay with us and we will make every attempt to be kind and courteous.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
W
W

Well said.

C
C
"they they are extremely cautious in their reporting", not always...........

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.