Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#502295 - 03/17/15 10:57 AM Man Claims GSU Beatdown In San Pedro
Marty Offline

A 42 year old man is claiming police brutality after he said he was badly beaten in the island town of San Pedro. Brian Castillo, a watchman of -Una Cantina Mas- located up the Coast of San Pedro Town told 7news that on Thursday morning sometime after 3am, GSU officers visited the resort and demanded that he handed over drugs. Castillo said he had no idea what the officers were talking about and that was when they began brutalizing him. Today we caught up with Castillo at the Medical Associates where he showed us X-rays of his broken ribs and cuts and bruises all over his body.

Brian Castillo
"On Thursday, between 3:30 and 5:00, I was on the coast of San Pedro, like a mile and a quarter from Belize/Mexican border, I am a watchman of a resort called "Una Cantina Mas" and whilst in bed I heard heavy banging on the door. They said 'get out of the house, or else we are going to shoot up' and I jumped off my bed and I opened the door, when I saw so many uniform men. Some with mask and a couple without mask. They grabbed me from in front of the door and held me to the ground and started beating me, asking me for drugs 'where is the drugs that I found.' I told them I found no drugs and I don't know about any drugs. They keep beating me and they say they are going to kill me. They stand on my back and 4 of them held me down; one whopping me on my legs with a big stick and one holding my mouth, telling me not to scream while they are beating me, punching me on the side of my ribs. They fractured 3 of my ribs. I got bruises to the leg. They stomp me in the face. They did me lots of things - they beat me up. I thought I was going to die. Afterwards, they lifted me off the ground and they handcuffed me, one put a gun at the back of my head, one in my mouth and they told me to go and show them the next camp south of where I was. So, they took me there in my boxers, no shoes, no clothes and they took me like quarter mile, south of where I was, to a resort named "Blue Ventures Resort." I went there and I showed them, this is Blue Venture. One of them said, 'leave him here.' They had me handcuff, they laid me on the ground and they leave one of them guard me, while they went to the front where the cabanas are and I heard the guys screaming and yelling. I think they were beating up the guys also."

"Afterwards, they told me to go about my business, before they changed their minds and kill me and leave me there in the bushes."

Monica Bodden
"I understand that you have some screws in your legs and some were also displaced."

Brian Castillo
"Yes, I have some screws in my legs off a previous accident and one of the screws in my leg came out, because of the beating they did. All my legs are swollen. There are bruises all over my legs."

Monica Bodden
"You weren't charged for anything, you left with a huge hospital bill and you are in pain. I mean, tell me, how you plan on handling this situation?"

Brian Castillo
"Actually, the owner of the property, he says that he is going to take care of it for me and see what I can with legal authorities - take them to court, so he can get back his money or something like that."

Monica Bodden
"You plan on making a complaint to the police department?"

Brian Castillo
"Yes, I have made a complaint. I have gotten a medical form and now I am going back to the police and give a formal report about it."

Monica Bodden
"Anybody from the GSU department contacted you as yet?"

Brian Castillo
"No. Nobody from GSU. They also took away my phone. They are contacting my people trying to make deals or something like that."

Monica Bodden "And you are sure it was the GSU? You saw their uniform?"

Brian Castillo
"Yes. I am sure. I recognized one of them."

No charge was made against Castillo. We were also told that the same set of officers allegedly beat up a 73 year old man and 3 other men who are working at another resort in the same area of the island.

Channel 7

#502298 - 03/17/15 11:10 AM Re: Man Claims GSU Beatdown In San Pedro [Re: Marty]
Diane Campbell Offline
I was curious about the establishments referenced in the article because I hadn't heard of them.

After a bit of searching the net, I could find no reference to the "resort" Cantina Mas, and learned that Blue Ventures is not a resort, but a volunteer ecological camp. This is of course relying on the web for accuracy, which may be a mistake ......

IMHO, most local news reports are about as reliable as the National Enquirer, and have a similar focus on violence and intrigue. They present a very unbalanced picture of life here as well as relatively inaccurate accounts of the stories they do cover.

#502303 - 03/17/15 11:42 AM Re: Man Claims GSU Beatdown In San Pedro [Re: Diane Campbell]
Mike Campbell Offline
The important part of this story is not the names of the resorts involved but rather the alleged actions of the GSU. After about 100 reports of the same type of actions sensible people may start to think there may be some substance to the allegations, or think its better that it be minimized, covered up and smoothed over in the interest of "law and order". When anyone's rights are violated, your rights are violated.

#502310 - 03/17/15 12:03 PM Re: Man Claims GSU Beatdown In San Pedro [Re: Marty]
Nobody You Know Offline
The GSU has been totally out of control for a very long time...

#502311 - 03/17/15 12:11 PM Re: Man Claims GSU Beatdown In San Pedro [Re: Nobody You Know]
Mike Campbell Offline
Rather than being out of control, consider that they are doing exactly what they are told to do and their actions and gestapo techniques of the police are a big part of the government strategy for combating crime and that it is also misguided government policies over the last 30 years that have gotten us to this point.

#502314 - 03/17/15 12:47 PM Re: Man Claims GSU Beatdown In San Pedro [Re: Marty]
Diane Campbell Offline
Mike you don't trust the police. Fair enough. I don't trust the media. Since that is the main source of the information being debated, I think my point is worth reflection. Before you can fix a problem you have to know what it really is. The media is not the place to look for the info.
We need facts and I'd like to hear suggestions on how to get those facts. Until we have them, we're working in the dark.

#502315 - 03/17/15 01:03 PM Re: Man Claims GSU Beatdown In San Pedro [Re: Marty]
elbert Offline
I wonder how effective a group of choirboys would be against the armed drug gangsters troubling the island.
We don't need to be paralyzed for worry about stepping on someone rights. Look how [#%!] up the US is because of strong civil liberties protection.

#502318 - 03/17/15 03:31 PM Re: Man Claims GSU Beatdown In San Pedro [Re: elbert]
cracked up Offline
until they come to your house at 4am

#502333 - 03/17/15 10:09 PM Re: Man Claims GSU Beatdown In San Pedro [Re: elbert]
Uncle Buck Offline
Originally Posted By: elbert
I wonder how effective a group of choirboys would be against the armed drug gangsters troubling the island.
We don't need to be paralyzed for worry about stepping on someone rights. Look how [#%!] up the US is because of strong civil liberties protection.

And look at how awesome Communist Russia and Nazi Germany were without those strong civil liberties.

#502344 - 03/18/15 02:23 AM Re: Man Claims GSU Beatdown In San Pedro [Re: Marty]
Maya House Offline
I agree. When one person's rights are violated, all of our rights are violated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,016 Topics
462,196 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.