Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#502522 03/21/15 07:07 PM
L
Latt Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I have been reading this forum for about a week now. I first visited AC in 2000. We plan to return May 2016 to celebrate my son, daughter in law and wife graduating college. I have read a lot about crime. Is it still safe to travel to AC ? My son and DIL will be 22 when we visit. Will they be safe traveling alone, especially at night?

Latt #502526 03/21/15 07:59 PM
W
W
If you have only been reading the forum for a week maybe you should read back a little further and decide for yourself. An earlier post said that there was a do not travel alert. I haven't been there in six years and do not plan on going back.

Latt #502527 03/21/15 08:26 PM
Welland, nice of you to come by and speak well of the place (sarcasm).

Latt, there's been changes since 2000 for sure but lots of them are for the better.

The same as most places, it pays to be savvy.

Sounds like a great holiday and I for one, think you should go!

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Latt #502530 03/21/15 09:41 PM
LattI don't know where you live but I would be willing to bet there are areas near you that you do not venture into. The same applies to every place on the face of the earth. I have been coming here since 1998 and have lived here since 2003 and I do not feel threatened.
There a couple of areas I have no business in - these are where the 'known' drug dealers operate. Use your good common sense, ask questions of people and don't do stupid stuff.
My daughter, my son, his daughter 18 and his son 15 are coming next week. I look forward to us having a wonderful time.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Latt #502531 03/22/15 12:30 AM
Well said Harriette!

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Latt #502533 03/22/15 05:18 AM
If you are not drunk looking for sex and drugs you won't find yourself in any danger.
Seriously.

Anybody who hasn't been here is six years really has no point of reference on current conditions, and one wonders why on earth they are interested in a website about a place they don't plan to see again. This is just junk from a troublemaker and I advise you to ignore it.

I live here. I go where I want to go, do what I want to do, and enjoy life to the fullest. I am an older, independent woman and I feel completely safe. I have lived here since 1992. I can afford to live elsewhere. I choose to live here. It is a wonderful place, really.

News reports and such are there to sell papers ( sensationalist junk) and to highlight things that need improving
( helpful investigative reporting). In either case, the news is not about the "normal". It is by nature about the unusual. That is what makes it "news". Most average citizens who are having a good time with no unnerving events rarely are asked for media interviews, and similarly do not have time or inclination to post about their humdrum, pleasant lives.

Diane Campbell #502537 03/22/15 06:06 AM
J
J
You said it all so well, Diane! I'm afraid we're typically home by dark, except when enjoying local restaurants for dinner, and our lives have been idylic and safe. We have made many friends, both locals and expats, have as much to do as we'd like, and have always tried to be smart about our decisions.
We find tis island delightful in so many ways!

Latt #502538 03/22/15 06:39 AM
W
W
I am not a troublemaker. I thought that I aware of current conditions by what I read on this web site. Shootings, robberies police corruption drugs ect. JaHo said you said it well but also that you were home by dark. I also said that Latt should read previous posts and decide for himself. I don't think that it is safe to travel anywhere alone at night. I stay on this web site because I love the Island but do not like what happened to it.

Last edited by Welland; 03/22/15 06:43 AM.
Latt #502539 03/22/15 07:04 AM
Funny. Some of us are tool old to be out after dark .... ( said with a smile).
And if you read JaHo's post you will see that she does go out to dinner with no problems.

I have never been a night person. This has nothing too do with safety, just personal preference for day stuff over night stuff. BUT at least once a week I walk to dinner along the beach and come home well after dark with flashlight in hand.
I also take the Coastal Express to town for dinner (after dark).
I watched the fireworks on New Years Eve in Central Park, in the company of my young niece and nephew (way after dark!). We strolled the streets ( after dark) in order to have the utterly fabulous DandE frozen custard after a wonderful dinner at Elvis. The only downside to our after dark adventure was being too tired to get up early the next day.

Primarily turn in early so I can be up in time to watch the sun rise, but after dark the stars are breathtaking as well.

Welland #502540 03/22/15 07:06 AM
Ignore the facts and shoot the messenger. frown

PS: Diane offers some good things to do. Only suggestion I would make, is if you are going to walk the beach at night, have an AK47 and not just a flashlight.
And, let me add my positive experience just so people won't think I am just negative. In 46 years here I have never been shot or mugged. Think positive. Belize has the third highest murder rate per capita in the world, 45 per hundred thousand. That means 99955 out of every hundred thousand did not get murdered. Pretty good odds, if you are a gambler.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 314 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.