Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#502670 - 03/26/15 10:56 AM PM Cagey on Timing of General Elections
Marty Offline

Dean Barrow

With Panton set to be installed, PM Barrow is setting up conventions in Belize Rural North, Orange Walk South and Caribbean Shores. Like we said, itís all fine-tuning for general elections which Barrow really can call at his whim. Today he confirmed that it wonít be this year…or will it?

Dean Barrow, U.D.P. Leader

ďI have no intention of calling elections this year, but indeed in politics any number can play. Thatís all Iím saying. It is still my position that no elections should happen this year but I wouldnít want if something dramatic would happen that made me and the government feel we have to go now…I canít exclude that possibility and Iíll put it no higher than that.Ē

Channel 5

#504167 - 05/12/15 11:17 AM Re: PM Cagey on Timing of General Elections [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Barrow Says Elections Will Roll After Petrocaribe Rolls Rural

And while The Prime Minister wears his hat as head of government for those high level meetings which may decide Belize's cruise tourism future, on Friday night in Belize City - he wore his red hat for a party political event.

He was the keynote speaker at the endorsement convention held to install Tracy Taegar-Panton as the UDP standard bearer for the Albert Division. He focused a large portion of his speech on what he called "the frenzied activity by the opposition."

He's referring to the recent sense of urgency in PUP affairs: they held two press conferences last week and reports say insiders are trying to shake up some politically dubious divisions.

And their recent activity has caught the attention of Prime Minister, Dean Barrow. He said that until his government finishes rolling Petrocaribe out to all the rural areas of the country, his government has nowhere to go:

Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister
"They think that the general elections are near. And because they know that whenever those general elections come, they will go down to their third consecutive defeat. So they think that those elections are near. They see the defeat staring them in the face. So their going through all kinds of twisting and turning and contortions and acrobatic postures, positions to try to avoid the inevitable. but I want to tell them 'simmer down man, simmer down, don't get excited, don't get carried away because the general elections aren't coming right now'. And I can tell them why, you see that same PetroCaribe money that hot their hearts so much, we got our plans. The kind of roll out to the villages we developed, will take several months to complete. So nobody can hurry us into no general elections. Because before we call those general elections, we have to make sure that every rural constituency in this country feel the PetroCaribe money. In other words, we want that every village in this proud land of ours will have the residents, mom, dad, brother, sister and especially the children singing 'you see my new bridge? Petro gave me. You see my new street? Petro gave me. You see my classroom? Petro gave me'."

Channel 7

#506399 - 08/04/15 11:14 AM Re: PM Cagey on Timing of General Elections [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

With PUP Problems, Is The UDP Heading For An Early(ier) Election?

So, since these problems continue to plague the PUP, will the UDP Government call a snap general election? That's what everyone wants to know, and when we asked Faber about that, he said that the Prime Minister is playing it close to his chest:

Hon. Patrick Faber, Minister of Education
"We have to be weighing these events happening with the opposition quite continuously, because you never can tell what is going to happen next. A lot of things have happened so far, but whether it translates into an early election for us is something that requires more thought. We are always very careful. I mean there are examples in the past where people have jumped at such opportunities and of course that has not turned out well. So, we want to be careful. We are optimistic that we can call an early elections and in fact the Prime Minister has given indications that is something that is quite possible. He is the ultimate decision maker when it comes to that. But as far as we see it, yes, an early election is quite possible. When it is, when it is the right time to strike is what is still to be decided and of course as I've said, the ultimate decision will be made by the Prime Minister. But of course we weigh in all of these factors that are happening with the opposition."

"I myself are never too overly cautious, because I know that the UDP for instance was once in a very bad position back in 1998 and of course it did not signaled the death of the UDP. The UDP came back, rose and is now the winningest part since the independence of this country. So, the PUP is down, but I am not counting them out and we are not taking anything for granted."

But while no one knows how soon, we all know that elections are very soon - and if the Prime Minister holds form - his Independence Day Address on September 21st will be the occasion for gifts to the electorate. Last year, it was one month of free mortgage for qualifying persons, the year before that doubled up internet speeds. But this year, rumors say it could be something in the education sector. Faber said that there's nothing planned for his ministry at this time:

Hon. Patrick Faber, Minister of Education
"If you studied the way we manage the Ministry of Education over the last 8 years now - going on 8 years. We have always sought to do initiatives that gives particularly the poorer people in this country some kind of reprieve. You remember the $300 subsidy, you saw our tablet initiative, you saw our CXC payments initiative and no elections are in sight, but we are always looking for initiatives to help to develop the education system and to help poor people to make education affordable for them. So, there is no such initiative at this time, or any kind of... there is never a gimmick I believe either. We are tasked with helping to develop education in this country and that's exactly what is on our agenda every day of the week whether election is coming or not."

Channel 7

#507149 - 09/04/15 11:13 AM Re: PM Cagey on Timing of General Elections [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

PM: Elections Coming Near 4 Year Mark

And amidst all this upheaval in Guatemala - they will have elections on Sunday. You've already heard who is the Prime Minister's favourite in that race, but what about elections in Belize? When will those be held? Everyone knows it's soon - but could it be before the end of the year? That's the prevailing wisdom right now and we asked the Prime Minister and about a specific date:...

Jules Vasquez
"PUPs are saying that elections will be November 3rd. Is that true?"

"November 3rd? I'm trying to... But why am I thinking about it? Because I can't know if my calculations have even contemplating the possibility of November 3rd, because I have not yet made those calculations."

Jules Vasquez
"So there is still no date?"

"No. Still no date. I don't know. I will go as far as saying this and I don't think I am giving away anything. Elections will be no later than the first part of next year. The PUPs on the last occasion had said they think that the term should be a four year term. And quite frankly I agree with them and if we win again, I would want to see that change. I am thinking in terms of the next general election of somewhere close to the 4 year marker, which would mean then that we are looking at not beyond February/March of next year."

Channel 7

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (dabunk, lomckenna, 1 invisible), 56 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,675 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,062 Topics
462,318 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.