Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Click photos for more pictures!

On Friday, March 27, The San Pedro Town Council staff, Deputy Mayor Gary Greif and Councilors Ruben Gonzalez, Severo Guerrero and Hector "Tito" Alamilla, hit the beach bright and early to help with the clean up of the sargassum that has been invading our shores for almost a year now.

Even some citizens and passers by joined in and helped in raking or forking the sargassum into the wheelbarrows. Thank guys! Great Job!

Cleaning the already rotten sargassum was quite a challenge since it is smelly and heavy. After we had finished cleaning we noticed that there was more sargassum washing ashore; however, we managed a lot by removing the stagnant and rotten sargassum.

The area that the staff and councilors helped clean was from Holiday Hotel to Cholo's Bar.

Kudos to our beach cleaning staff for their daily battle with the sargassum clean up.

We have been battling the sargassum invasion for almost a year now. Many resorts and residents are cleaning up the beaches daily to avoid the rotting of the sargassum sea weed. We created this flyer to help in spreading awareness of the sargassum seaweed situation. Although it has become a problem, all we can do is bare with it and look at the positive side; which is to use it as land fill or even as a fertilizer for our gardens.

We would like to encourage every one to help us with this battle. Unfortunately it is not something we can control but we can definitely give a helping hand in cleaning up the sargassum; especially the stagnant and already rotten sargassum. Have a great weekend!

Congrats. Now please send a truck to take away some of the piles we have up our way. PLEASE.

Last edited by Diane Campbell; 03/28/15 06:12 AM.
I've been off the island a week and still get flashes of the smell...

Originally Posted by Nobody You Know
I've been off the island a week and still get flashes of the smell...

Next time don't try to roll it and smoke it. Tee hee.

NJG Offline
That stuff has had my hubby and I sick.
Asthma , allergies.
Hope it subsides soon.

D
D
Originally Posted by NJG
That stuff has had my hubby and I sick.
Asthma , allergies.
Hope it subsides soon.

Jog near/through it every morning. Smelly? Yup. Made me ill? Never.

DC

S
S
If every business owner on the beachside ( really all businesses in town too- would take the initiative of responsibility & do their part, keeping there immediate area in front of their buildings cleaned up, it just makes sense, instead of always depending on others.

B
B
Is sargassum different than sea grass? Because I was under the impression that while the sea grass is not pretty, it was necessary for the ecosystem and illegal to remove without a permit.

Brett
Counting the days until I retire...

Originally Posted by seaglass
If every business owner on the beachside ( really all businesses in town too- would take the initiative of responsibility & do their part, keeping there immediate area in front of their buildings cleaned up, it just makes sense, instead of always depending on others.

Easier said than done .... We try, but it gets crazy!!

C
C
Is sargassum different than sea grass? Because I was under the impression that while the sea grass is not pretty, it was necessary for the ecosystem and illegal to remove without a permit.

Totally different. Sea grass is a plant that grows on the bottom in shallow water where it can still get some sunlight. It provides a home and protection to many species of fish and other sea life.

Sargassum is a freefloating seaweed that is never attached to the earth. It provides.....well, not much.

Last edited by Chuck V; 03/29/15 11:05 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.