Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#502761 - 03/29/15 09:50 AM Authorities and San Pedro Animal Hospital at odds
Marty Offline
Since 2009, the San Pedro Animal Hospital has been providing private medical care to island pets. But that may no longer be the case, as Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) and co-owner of the San Pedro Animal Hospital, Laurie Droke’s license may not be renewed for 2015. This is because the Belize Veterinary Association, Veterinary Surgeons Board and Belize Agricultural Health Authority (BAHA) are looking into some complaints about the establishment and debating on whether to renew Droke’s license and permits to operate.

According to Droke, she applied for the renewal of her license back in December 2014 but still has not received confirmation on the status of her veterinary license. Droke also indicated that she has failed to obtain permits from BAHA for the importation of controlled drugs such as analgesics, anesthetics and euthanasia solutions. “Basically I have been having trouble for some time now in acquiring permits to import essential medications needed to have the clinic operational. Also, I have not received any response regarding the renewal of my veterinary license. We have been paying our dues yearly, but have not received anything in writing from them. Most recently I heard rumors that the board will be refusing to renew my license for this year,” said Droke.

The San Pedro Animal Hospital is the only private veterinary clinic on the island and provides a full range of 24 hour medical services. Droke has indicated that if her license and permits are not renewed, she will be forced to close down the clinic. “Unless this situation unexpectedly changes, San Pedro Animal Hospital will close its doors by the end of the year, when our current veterinarian is scheduled to return home and our current supplies will be exhausted. I have been writing to the all the relevant authorities but have not received any response. We hope we can get through with our permits and licenses, we are willing to do anything. The clinic is needed here on the island,” said Droke.

The San Pedro Sun spoke with Doctor Miguel DePaz- Chief Veterinarian Officer, Director of Animal Health at BAHA and Chairman of the Veterinary Surgeons Board – who stated that the board has several issues with the San Pedro Animal Hospital and Droke; as such they have not re-registered her license. “We have not re-registered Droke because the board has issues with her. The re-registration is not automatic, and if we have complaints about the business, we have to consider whether we will continue to allow them to operate. We have at least two serious complaints about the San Pedro Animal Hospital. These are documented and we need to address them with the veterinarian before we decide to re-register her,” said DePaz.

Click here for the rest of the story in the San Pedro Sun

#502800 - 03/30/15 02:50 PM Re: Authorities and San Pedro Animal Hospital at odds [Re: Marty]
ragman Offline
This is a situation that I hope gets sorted out. The SPAH provides a great service to our pets and pet owners. They talk of complaints but they have not asked for a hearing or any correspondence with the vet? How can you refuse to renew a license with out explaining why to the applicant. Sounds political to me and if the Hospital closes the animals will lose and so will we. frown

In my opinion this is not right.

#502801 - 03/30/15 03:30 PM Re: Authorities and San Pedro Animal Hospital at odds [Re: Marty]
Diane Campbell Offline
My dog Emily has eliplepsy. The situation began two or three years ago when she had at least 13 seizures in one night.
I took her to Dr, Laurie the next morning. Emily was put into the equivalent of doggie ICU for almost a week, trying to break the cycle of seizures and get stable. Dr. Laurie took Emily in her crate up to her apartment every night and slept next to Emily all night to be there if she needed attention. Tell me any other vet you know who would do that.
In any business where there are customers, there are complaints. I can guarantee you that the satisfied patients far outnumber any complaints. Nothing bad is going on over at SPAH and if you feel your dog needs a different doctor then go elsewhere. Those of us who love and depend on the services of SPAH should not be penalized! Forcing us to have virtually no choice in care ( and very likely no care at all from time to time) on this island is just plain wrong.

SAGA tries, and delivers as much as it can, but this island has too many animals for just one facility, and certainly we cannot rely solely on a volunteer agency to be able to deliver consistently.

We need SPAH!!!!

#502802 - 03/30/15 04:11 PM Re: Authorities and San Pedro Animal Hospital at odds [Re: Diane Campbell]
ragman Offline
Diane I have a similar story. One night I'm in having pizza and beers and when I'm finish I walk by the hospital and the inside light is on. I knock on the door and Dr. Laurie lets me in. She is sitting with an older dog that she informs me is going to pass in the next few days but because the owners are not presently on the Island she is draining fluid from the dog and making the dog comfortable until the owners arrive the next day. She said the owners deserve to be with their pet when the pet passes. This was already about 10 PM and I found out later that she stayed with that pet all night.

If that isn't above and beyond, I do not know what is. There was an easy way out that most vets would have taken. In her opinion in this particular situation she put her own comfort aside and did what she thought was best for both the owner and pet. There is nothing else I can say about her dedication to explain it better. It will be just terrible if SPAH closes.

#502803 - 03/30/15 05:29 PM Re: Authorities and San Pedro Animal Hospital at odds [Re: Marty]
Diane Campbell Offline
I think all of us with these positive experiences need to write them down and send to the licensing Vet licensing board. I'll see what i can find in the way of contacts etc. if you will help, please PM me.

#502804 - 03/30/15 07:03 PM Re: Authorities and San Pedro Animal Hospital at odds [Re: Marty]
Poppie Offline
Agree with Diane and most everyone else on this topic.
The SPAH-Dr.Lorie Drake have provided excellent care of our animals here on the island.
I hear that this license thing may be due to the problem The Torres women caused .
She had a small dog she carried around ( like Paris Hilton) she had her dog on a golf cart when it fell off and was injured.
She took it to Dr. Drake who was administering aid , had an IV hooked up. When it was told to her to not provide service as the Torres women and brother never pay there bills.
However Dr. Drake still treated the dog , which was then released back to her , understand the bill was paid.
The women swore to get even and said she had power in high places.......
Looks like someone in politics is pulling some strings here.
So unfair to San Pedro send it's animals .

#502810 - 03/30/15 10:21 PM Re: Authorities and San Pedro Animal Hospital at odds [Re: Diane Campbell]
JaHo Offline
I couldn't agree more! I've seen more than one vet at SPAH, and have never been disappointed in the care given. I would be horrified if I had an emergency, and our SAGA vet wasn't due to come for several days.
This island is still growing, and for many of us, our pets are our family members. We need to know there is consistent care available for them!
I'm happy to write whomever needs to hear this!

#502811 - 03/30/15 10:45 PM Re: Authorities and San Pedro Animal Hospital at odds [Re: JaHo]
ragman Offline
It has come to my attention that the following message is posted on the blog at:

www. san pedro animal hospital. com Delete the spaces. If anyone needs help figuring out the email addresses just let me know. It took me a few minutes to get them right.

Dr. DePaz, president of the veterinary surgeons board of Belize: miguel depaz <depaz_miguel2004@yahoo.com

Other members of the veterinary surgeons board:

Dr. Gongora bz.victor@gmail.com” <bz.victor@gmail.com

Dr. Crawford janecrwfrd@yahoo.co.uk

Dr. Chimilio bchimilio@yahoo.com

Dr. Paquet-Durand ipaquet@gmx.net” <ipaquet@gmx.net>

Veterinary Drug Registrar:

Dr. Myers joe_my2003@yahoo.com

The San Pedro Town Board has a facebook page where messages can be sent. Email addresses listed are sptb@btl.net, sptowncouncil@gmail.com

Further contact info for Dr. Depaz and Dr. Myers is listed below:

Dr. DePaz

Ms Melody Robateau Administrative Assistant/Permit Officer Secretary (Belize Veterinary Surgeons Board) Animal Health Department Belize Agricultural Health Authority Central Farm, Cayo District Tel:(501)824-4899/4872 Fax:(501)824-4889/3773 Email: animalhealth.baha[at]gmail.com

Sarita Parham Administrative Assistant Quarantine Department Central Farm Tel #: 824-4899/4872 Fax #: 824-4889/3773

sarita.parham@yahoo.com

Joe A. Myers DVM

Veterinary Drug Registrar

Poultry Health Coordinator

Veterinary Officer Northern Zone

Animal Health Department

Belize Agricultural Health Authority

Phone: (501) 302 1388

Fax: (501) 322 2301

Cell: (501) 601 6890"

Edited by ragman (03/30/15 11:34 PM)
Edit Reason: help offer

#502819 - 03/31/15 02:15 AM Re: Authorities and San Pedro Animal Hospital at odds [Re: ragman]
Shyboy Offline
I am new to this forum but have a dog, horse, many birds and 30 year old Koi. Ok; I like animals.. I have read nothing but great stuff re the animal hospital and will write some emails...

Ragman.. You gave too much info... Please suggest one main email and three or four cc's... Just give me and the rest of us some direction.. I'm ready...

#502824 - 03/31/15 10:29 AM Re: Authorities and San Pedro Animal Hospital at odds [Re: Shyboy]
ragman Offline
I sent the information which was posted at the SPAH site. Here is a break down of the addresses from that site that I used. This might be a little easier to understand.

vetsurgeonsboard.belize@gmail.com

Dr. DePaz depaz_miguel2004@yahoo.com

Dr. Gongora victor@gmail.com

Dr. Chimilio bchimilio@yahoo.com

Dr. Crawford janecrwfrd@yahoo.co.uk

Dr. Paquet-Durand ipaquet@gmx.net

Dr. Myers joe_my2003@yahoo.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 26 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,673 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,048 Topics
462,276 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.