Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I'm probably one of thousands of people who find themselves wanting to move to Belize. I have had this idea in the back of my mind for years, because something has always drawn me to this country that I've never been to. I had no idea that it was pulling in so many others! I am a 30-something stay-at-home mom, and my husband is a factory worker. We live in Wisconsin, and have two kids. The job market around here is terrible, and neither of us have a college degree. We survive on about $35K a year, sometimes less. We pay about $650 a month in rent for a 2 bedroom house.

Due to the grim outlook in our area, and an increasing problem with heroin in our community, we no longer want our children to grow up here. There are other places in the United States we could move to, but honestly we are tired of this way of life. My husband works too hard, my kids are glued to TVs, its freezing cold, snowy or rainy too much to get outside to do much else. People around here all seem miserable, and I really don't want to live the rest of my life like this. I want a better life for my kids.

I am white, and my husband is of Mexican descent. We want our kids to grow up knowing more than one culture and one language. We want them to accept others from all nationalities and backgrounds, and don't want them growing up to be "spoiled American kids." We want opportunities to learn about nature, other cultures, and diversity. We'd rather go kayaking than watch football or reality shows. We'd rather go hiking than hit up a mall.

My husband and I are seriously considering saving up as much money as possible (30K-50K) and selling most of our belongings in order to give our family a chance at a better, cleaner, less depressing lifestyle. This is going to be our 5-year plan, but even with the money saved, we would need to get jobs fairly quickly in Belize.

The areas we are most considering are San Pedro and Corozal. We would like to be in an area where everything is pretty close by, but want to avoid high crime areas, gangs, hard drugs, etc. San Pedro was my first choice, but as I look around, I'm seeing prices are much higher there than nearly everywhere else. This is why Corozal is looking better now.

My question is, is there any possibility that with a decent amount of research, and a visit to the area before moving, that my husband and I would be able to find jobs (or possibly start a business) with this amount of money and be able to live (and support two kids)? We don't need anything fancy, just running water, electricity, food, we will walk if everything's within walking distance, and can do without a car. At some point we'd like to own a home or build on some property. A modest 2-3 bedroom simple home is all we need.

Sorry for the long post, I just want to really discuss this with someone who has done something similar who has experience and can either encourage or crush my dream wink

T
T
You might want to read some of the forums here and do some research. Life in San Pedro won't be any cheaper. The money you saved would need to be used to start a business. You would not be able to work without a work permit. I believe it would take at least 6 months to get this. Not trying to put a damper on your dreams but you need to do a lot of research before even thinking of this. Start up businesses aren't always successful in Belize. If you buy a business you have to wonder why its for sale. Good luck in your research.

OP Offline
Thanks for your reply, tahunt.

I have done quite a bit of research, but obviously not as much as I know I will need to do smile I have also read about the waiting time to receive a work permit, and I figure my option could be working online through an American company, if possible. We're willing to do any training needed between now and then. Our business idea is actually one we were going to try to make happen here, but between the weather here, and the cost of owning any sort of business, it's just not happening. We were thinking of starting some sort of food cart/truck because of the fairly cheap start-up costs. My husband and I are both pretty good cooks, and make a variety of dishes/cuisines that I think we could both introduce to locals, and serve as "comfort food" for Midwestern American expats, etc. Just an idea, but yes, far off in the future.

Due to prices in San Pedro, I'm now focusing more on Corozal, if anyone's got any information to offer on that area. I keep reading how it's very affordable, but I see very little real estate that seems affordable vs. U.S. standards. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place, and the listings are all for "Americanized" properties. I don't need a concrete driveway, professional landscaping, or neighborhood associations wink I'm more interested in something like this...a small, simple 2-3 bedroom "cabana-type" place: [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

About how much would something like this (no central air, hot water optional, no cable needed, preferably some access to internet hookup) run for rent or purchase (land size does not matter) in the Corozal area? Like I said, everything I seem to find is too big, too small, or too extravagant for my taste. I just want to scope out options to see if this is even something to look into further.

Anyone who could offer more info on moving to Northern Belize (especially with children), I'd appreciate it loads! Thanks again!

OP Offline
By the way, I'd say our diet already consists of a LOT of beans and rice, and it happens to already be my daughters favorite foods, so I'm thinking our stomachs are all on-board already! grin

for other areas of Belize you might do better to ask on this forum
http://www.belizeforum.com/belize/ubbthreads.php?ubb=activetopics&range=7&type=t
they cover allof the country not just San Pedro

I don't think a food truck is going to is work. Tons of reasons why.

Working remotely online is probably your best bet even long term.

The second house you showed is a modified/ customized Mennonite house. Check with Pletts Homebuilders for models and prices.

Probably you should start with a rental and see how it goes. Corozal will probably be a good place to look at for starters.

Sometimes it is kinder telling people what they don't want to hear.

You could do all of those things in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas. Access to Mexico and year-round (pretty much) warm weather.

For the sake of enriching your kids lives I would suggest San Ignacio. I think the prices are more reasonable and it is very culturally diverse.
It is not sea side but that's what's expensive. The rolling hills remind me of Seattle and San Francisco. Just something to think about.
If you can work on line I suggest you set up something before you come down. It seems like more and more people are doing it.
As for a food truck - we already have lots of golf cart food venders.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Originally Posted by ScubaLdy
For the sake of enriching your kids lives I would suggest San Ignacio. I think the prices are more reasonable and it is very culturally diverse.
It is not sea side but that's what's expensive. The rolling hills remind me of Seattle and San Francisco. Just something to think about.
If you can work on line I suggest you set up something before you come down. It seems like more and more people are doing it.
As for a food truck - we already have lots of golf cart food venders.

Agree that this is an excellent option!! Beautiful area, affordable and lots to do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.