Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5 and CTV 3
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Letter to the Editor: Shopping Nightmare
My wife loves shopping while on vacation. Yes, she also likes the beach, sun tanning and swimming in the ocean and fine dining. But her biggest interest is shopping while on vacation. At home she has a job, a family, a household and hardly any time to shop for anything but groceries and daily household necessities. While on vacation, she feels relaxed, has all the time and dedication plus some substantial savings planned to be spent during our vacation weeks. That's when she feels really in the mood to shop and one could say: "she shops until she drops". On previous vacations we even had to purchase a new, third suitcase just to have the additional space to pack all her shopped items for our flight back home. She buys local art and souvenirs, swim wear, fashion and gifts for me, friends and family and of course plenty of things for herself. I usually park myself at a local bar in the center of a shopping district to have a few drinks while she zigzags through every shopping street, hitting every shop there is in town; not one store is left behind, not one item un-inspected but considered for purchase. She goes through every rack and shelf in every boutique, souvenir shop and store she can possibly spot.

Key Lime Pie Baking Adventures at Celi's Deli!!
Rosy makes a mean Key Lime Pie that is piled so high with merengue, with a homemade crust and thick, creamy custard that you just cannot resist! After years of watching pie after pie disappear shortly after being put out on display, I had to get into the kitchen and learn her secrets!! This is a perfect pie to make for Mom on Mother's Day. It's also really good for a weekend get together with friends. I mean, really, you don't need me to tell you when to eat a pie - if you can make it and have the ingredients, why not do it and eat it!

Letter to the Editor: Beware Standing by a Principle in Belize!
I refer to articles "Local Rates vs Tourist Rates" and "Sticking it to the Rich Man", The San Pedro Sun, April the 4th. My wife and I were in Belize for a short while, in the event shorter than anticipated, earlier this year. By no means rich, we had worked and saved hard to earn our holiday and, pensioners of 77 and 73 respectively, travelling independently, using small hotels and local transport we had set out to sample the experiences that Belize had to offer, meet some of the people and enjoy our modest holiday. On February the 3rd, during a bus journey from Belize City to San Ignacio we were overcharged our fare. Naturally I resented this assumption that a foreigner offers to the venal an opportunity for making "a little on the side", never mind his abuse of his employers' trust. I took practical action. At the Belmopan bus station I explained to the driver what his colleague had done, removed a key from his panel and promised to return it when I was refunded the overcharge. I expected the matter to be rapidly resolved. How wrong I was! It was immediately demonstrated to me how rapidly, in Belmopan at least, police action is resorted to in order to resolve a minor squabble. The bus was immediately driven to a local sub police station. Inside the station an officer, considerably taller than me and about half my age, who later claimed to be 901 (he wasn't wearing his number tags) held me by the throat against a wall whilst repeatedly shouting at me, (the F word was prominent) before bundling me roughly into a toilet. While this took place officer 1506 Mitchell was repeatedly shouting at my wife. I surrendered the key.

BzSA members to attend a World Class Laser Sailing Clinic
The International Sailing Federation (ISAF) will hold a five-day Laser Sailing Clinic at the National Sailing Academy on Antigua, West Indies from July 14 to 21, 2015. This clinic and four others like it in other regions of the world will launch the 2015 Youth Worlds Emerging Nations Programme, and Belize has been invited to attend. ISAF is underwriting virtually all significant expenses of those who participate, including members from the Belize National Sailing Association (BzSA). BzSA is now among the Member Nation Authorities (MNAs) that ISAF recognizes. The goal of ISAF's Emerging Nation Youth World Clinics is to give skills and knowledge that both the sailors and their coaches will take home and use to build and further develop sailing training and racing in their home countries, all for the benefit of future generations. To this end, part one of the ISAF programme provides funds for BzSA to send one coach and up to three sailors to the five-day clinic, as long as one of them is female. BzSA's share of the costs is limited to funding one half of the airfare, which is estimated to be $400US per person. BzSA will be seeking financial support to meet this expense.

Belizean Senator Lisa Shoman to lead OAS electoral observation mission in Guyana
Senator Lisa Shoman will be leading the Organization of American State (OAS) Electoral Observation Mission that will witness the electoral process of the May election in Guayana. The decision was announced on April 8th by the Secretary General of the OAS His Excellency Jose Miguel Insulza and Guyana's permanent Representative to the OAS, his Excellency Bayney Karran. A ceremony to sign the agreement took place in Panama City, Panama in the context of the Seventh Summit of the Americas, scheduled to be held on April 10th and 11th. The Secretary General expressed his hope that "this will be a very good moment for Guyanese democracy," and his conviction is that, "as always, the government of Guyana will give the Mission all the facilities they need to do their job well."

Ambergris Today

Tourist Expresses Sadness over Garbage Situation on Ambergris Caye
I recently visited your beautiful country and spent a little over a week in Ambergris Caye and San Pedro. My husband and I enjoyed snorkeling and swimming in the beautiful clean water and were very appreciative of the warmth as we came from upstate New York, USA where it's been very cold. We also very much enjoyed how friendly everyone was in the town and how delicious the food is everywhere we ate. One thing that greatly bothers me however is the amount of garbage everywhere is; on the beaches, in the town, on the roads etc. Isn't there some way that this can be changed? Don't people feel pride in where they live? Later I was shocked to find out the Town is using garbage as land fill in the some of the housing areas for the poor and migrant workers. Why is this a good idea? Surely, you can see how toxic chemicals would be leaching into the ground and water which is so close by.

25 Years Ago: Making Your Own Homemade Palmetto Broom
Quite a group of skillful people in San Pedro in years gone by! We have seen the home made drum ovens, the hand corn mill, and the all-metal irons that required actual fire to heat them. Today I will take you through the fabrication of brooms to keep the house and the yard happily clean. We are first going to manufacture a broom at no cost whatsoever and put it to use inside the house. Material: 4 palmetto leaves 1 short piece of stick for handle A piece of sturdy string or wire First some explanation on the palmetto leaves. There is also the local palm leaf known as thatch or 'taciste' in Spanish. They grow all over the island and if you want to see them in abundance drive by around San Pablo. Now take the four palm leaves and fold each one individually into a tight cone-like structure. Then put all four leaves together and tightly fasten them unto the end of the piece of stick. Tightly wrap the string or wire about half way down the bundled palm leaves allowing it to fan out into an eight to ten inch diameter.

Residents Claim Excessive Force by Anti Drug Unit in San Pedro
Just as it seems that the ADU, GSU and BDF are doing a great job of keeping a strong presence on the island and causing a significant drop in criminal activity on the island, residents are now complaining of roughhousing (manhandling) by the same officials who are suppose to keep the peace. Ambergris Today got a hold of images and a video of two members of the Anti Drug Unit (ADU) using excessive force, and even pulling out a gun, on a resident as they conducted a search on his person. Although it is not known if the man committed an offence, other officials reviewing the footage clearly indicated that the two ADU personnel did use excessive force when one kicked the man while he was down and clearly not showing any resistance. Plus, watch the video and see how one ADU officer takes out his gun, points it at the man on the ground and loads it in the middle of the busy street. The man in the video was later arrested with no clear indications of the charges set on him.

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

Beltraide ESTABLISHING A BUSINESS WORKSHOP
You have a passion ... a hidden talent. Do you know what it takes to turn that skill into a successful business? Attend this workshop if you are an entrepreneur, new business owner, innovator or a 'closet' business person. Prepare to be informed, motivated, and focused on your business plan for action. The workshop is FREE and information - PRICELESS! It designed for individuals who are considering self-employment, or who may be at the beginning stages of starting a business. This introductory helps aspiring entrepreneurs assess their abilities to lead and manage a company; as well as, evaluate market and sales potential for their products/services. Start-up costs, financing options, and business planning are introduced, along with necessary steps to get started. Location: BELTRAIDE office- Belmopan Workshop Date: April 16th, 2015 9am to 12pm. Kindly register before April 15th, 2015

Passing of Mr. Anthony Stephens
Mayor Daniel Guerrero, the San Pedro Town Council and Staff would like to extend its deepest condolences to the Stephens family on the passing of Mr. Anthony Stephens. May his soul rest in peace. Mr. Anthony Stephens is brother to our long time employee Mr. William Stephens Sr. and uncle to our employee Mr. William Stephens Jr.

The 5th International Red Carpet Affair Caribbean Style
Saturday April 18th 2015 Alpine Village Center 833 Torrance Blvd, Torrance C.A 90502 Starring Lova Boy - Calypso Rose - Daddy Tracey - Caribbean Dynamics - Michael Wagner - Guwie Posse - Sam Hamilton Music by: ♫ DJ MIsta B & Albez & DJ Money Belizean Vibez Crew Details: Admission $30 Adv $35 at The Door | VIP Floor Adv $40 Door $50 | VIP Upper adv $35 Door $45 Ticket Outlets Alpine Village 310.327.4384 LIttle Belize 310.674.0696 Belizean Paradise 323.973.7710 Mar's Caribbean 310.323.5000 Pelican Restaurant 323.232.5487 Joan & Sisters 323.735.8952 Stones 323.751.5526 Jean Dawson 323.632.3735

Commentary: Garifuna Nation: Justifications for long overdue Garifuna reparations
By Wellington C. Ramos. When studying the history of our Garifuna people there are several theories that are known to us and they are as follows: Theory 1 -- Thousands of years before the Europeans came to this part of the world, a group of Africans migrated to the Caribbean known as the "Mende" people. This tribe is comprised of about twelve and they now occupy some countries in West Africa mainly in the Ivory Coast. They intermingled with the Caribs and the Arawaks and brought about the people now known as "Garifuna". The Arawaks are from the Orinoco region in South America and the Garifuna language is mixed with Arawak, Carib and some ethnic African language. Garifuna people's DNA reflects all these cultures in it. Evidence: Renowned historian Dr Ivan Van Sertima supports this theory and published his findings in the book titled: "They Came Before Columbus". Other anthropologists and archaeologists have supported this with research done in Mexico to show that the Olmecs, who gave rise to the Mayas and Aztecs, are descendants of Africans also. To support this there is a research done by Clyde A. Winters titled: "Africans Came Before Columbus".

Feel the Heartbeat at Soul Project
The Soul Project was the stage for Feel the Heartbeat. The Winsom Foundation fundraiser was lively, with music, art, and some humor too. The sculptures from Paint Up a Storm were on display.

Thinking about applying for the CARSI Economic Support Fund Grant but have questions?
The U.S. Embassy in Belmopan, Belize announces a notice of funding opportunity (NOFO) to strengthen citizen security by focusing on job creation and providing alternative activities and better education for youth at higher risk of gang affiliation and/or engaging in criminal activity. Contingent upon the availability of funds and quality of proposals, U.S. Embassy Belmopan intends to issue three to five awards in an amount not to exceed $900,000 in total funding. Each award will be for an amount between $100,000 and $400,000. Project periods should not exceed two years, and the anticipated start date for successful proposals is September 30, 2015. This funding will support U.S. Government objectives under the Central America Regional Security Initiative (CARSI) to target the underlying factors contributing to violence and crime in Belize.

Walk/ Run for Awareness 5k
San Pedro, April 26. Walk or Run to create awareness for children with disabilities and to support Ambergris Caye Elementary School

Caye Caulker Lobster Fest 2015
Friday, June 26 Miss Lobster Fest Pageant 7 p.m. Entrance fee TBA Pageant After Party 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. Entrance fee TBA Saturday June 27 Opening Ceremony Color Explosion Pt. 2 (Powder Party) 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Entrance Free!! Saturday Night D.U.I Presents Glow Fete 9 p.m. to 4 a.m. Entrance fee TBA Sunday, June 28 Games Foam Party DJ Competition - DJs battling for the title of 'Lobster Fest DJ 2015' 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Entrance Free

Pepperoni Dave passes away
We lost one of our best friends here at Crazy Canucks and a wonderful man yesterday. Dave (Pepperoni Dave) lost his battle with cancer. We will forever remember all the laughs, your stories, horseshoe throwing, dice playing....and your love for game shows and sports. May you rest in peace and our thoughts are with Denise and family. We will drink a Crown Royal in honor of you! Love always.... The Crazy Canucks family and friends.

Neotropical River Otter
While going up some slow-moving tributaries, looking for macaw nests, sometimes our neighbors seemed puzzled. Neotropical River Otter

Belize and the EU Hold Second "Article 8" Political Dialogue Session
The Second political dialogue session between the European Union and Belize took place in Belize City on Monday, 13 April 2015. The dialogue offers a platform for consultations over a broad range of issues, as well as an opportunity to take stock of progress made concerning 'essential elements' of the Cotonou Agreement, including respect for human rights, rule of law, democratic principles and good governance. The meeting focused on the current status of the Belize Guatemala Process, Energy, Climate Change, Security, the Post 2015 Development Agenda, Human Rights, Schengen Visa Waiver, Preparations for EU-CELAC Summit in June2015 and Updates on Regional Processes.

BOLEDO DRAWING for Monday, April 13, 2015: 47

CARTS & CARRIER CYCLES
Final preparations being made for the opening of Ian Morrison's exhibit entitled: CARTS & CARRIER CYCLES, Belize in the 20th Century- "Man-Powered Machines". Opening this afternoon at the Belisle Art Gallery at the Bliss starting at 3:30 p.m. exhibit runs until the end of the month, drop in anytime free of cost to see the role these carts played in the economic development of Belize....

Channel 7

Man Called "Ghost" Killed in Ghost Town Turf
There were three murders this weekend - one in Belize City; one in Camalote; one in Roaring Creek. We start in the City on Saturday morning where Amin Edward "Ghost" Usher was killed at the far end of Mayflower Street - which is the base of the Ghost Town Crips. And he should have been safe there because Usher is considered an elder in that neighborhood, but it seems a younger gang member had beef with him - and committed murder in broad daylight. 7News was on the scene and Daniel Ortiz has the story:.. Daniel Ortiz reporting Shortly after 9 on Saturday morning, Mayflower Street was chaotic, heightened emotions ranging from grief and mourning in one corner, and rage and hurt in another. One of its well-known personalities, 40 year-old Edward Usher, aka "Ghost", was executed in this yard at #5 Mayflower Street, in the presence of other residents who were socializing with him.

Two Men Shot, One Dead Roaring Creek
The weekend's first murder happened at 1:30 am on Saturday morning on Roaring Creek village. A pair of 24 year olds, Jermaine Welcome and Allan Garbutt were shot as they hung out at a home in roaring Creek. Welcome didn't make it and today Courtney Weatherburne asked his family why they believe he had been shot. She spoke with Allen's Grandmother, Maud Richards and Hadie Welcome, Jermaine's mother: Courtney Weatherburne reporting Early Saturday morning, two best friends were having a quesadilla snack right in front of this veranda. They were standing right here just about ready to eat when they were shot at from behind. They tried to escape the blasts but both collapsed in the yard. 24 year old Allen Garbutt fell here behind the veranda while his lifelong friend - Jermaine Welcome - laid close by, gasping for breath.

In Camalote Police Say Drowning, Family Says Murder
The body of 59 year old Candelario Jaime was found near the river in Camalote. A group of kids from the village found his body about 5:30 on Saturday evening. According to his family, Jaime goes to take a swim every day at around this time and returns to his house after but this time he didn't. We went to Camalote to find out more from his wife Felipa Jaime. Felipa Jaime, Wife Translated "Well honestly before I went to church he said he will go swimming and them he come back and mind the house and so went and when I came back he did not come back and I said well I didn't know what happened and it was already night so I couldn't go out so the next day I started to think bad like�something bad had happened and so I went to find him and when I told the neighbors there and one told her that she went down by the river some suspicious men were coming up from the river and so she said if he is not there. Something bad must have happened. Then she told me lets go together and go check at the river and when some kids went down who knew how to swim , that's when they found him, they found his body."

Murder in Maxboro
And tonight, Ladyville police are in the Maxboro housing community in Sandhill village processing a murder scene. 31-year-old Leon Leslie Sr. was found in a decomposed state in his home - he had apparently been stabbed or chopped to death - and his throat was slit. Police could not comment because they just got to the area about half an hour ago. We'll have more on his disturbing and apparently violent end tomorrow.

Attorney Arthur Faces Arrest
Belmopan police have confirmed that attorney Arthur Saldivar will face criminal charges tomorrow. The charges stem from a misunderstanding between Saldivar and the mother of his two sons. The two are separated - and she alleges that Saldivar trespassed on her property today, took her phone and scrolled through her text messages. Police told us that is the report they received and they expect to charge Saldivar for burglary and trespass tomorrow. Saldivar told us the allegation is nonsense and a waste of the court's time. He told us he doesn't see what he can be charged for. He says he was outside the property and did scroll through the phone because his son bought it to him. He says he is concerned for his children's wellbeing - and that is why he checked the phone.

Hon. Tulio Mendez Speaks! (Just Not To Channel 7)
2 months ago, the biggest story coming out of the north was the child molestation charges which were brought against disgraced Area Representative Marco Tulio Mendez. He's accused of inappropriate contact of a sexual nature with 2 minors who claim that they were molested before the age of consent. Viewers may remember how the entire press core camped outside of the court room in Orange Walk Town, waiting for Mendez to make his exit from his initial arraignment. As we showed you, instead of facing the press as an elected member of parliament, Mendez chose to run away, and wait for the scandal to die down before he gave any meaningful comments to the media. He went back to court today for a routine adjournment, and this time, he was more forthcoming - because there was only one Orange Walk based media house there. Here's what he had to say about the charges he is now facing: Reporter "Since it has been open to the public about the situation that you are going through, which is in front of the court right now, how has it been? Are you still a member of the parliament?"

Briceno Faces Adjournment in Court For Traffic Offence
Mendez's fellow parliamentarian from the north, John Briceno, has also been facing criminal charges at the Magistrate's Court. As we told you, he's been charged with driving without due care and attention, failing to report an accident, and harm upon Christopher Hendricks, who is the Deputy Prime Minister's driver. As we told you, Hendricks says that Briceno ran over his foot with a gold Toyota Prado that he was driving on Thursday, January 22 at the Belize High School of Agriculture Compound, located in Trinidad Village, Orange Walk. They were there for the inauguration of inauguration ceremony for the San Lazaro to August Pine Ridge Road. Hendricks' version of events is that he was standing near the gate of the compound when Briceno pulled up in his Prado. He claims that Briceno ran over his foot and then drove off.

FFB Will Give VP Rawell Opportunity For Orderly Exit
The Football Federation of Belize held it's 8th Ordinary Congress on Saturday. The purpose was to give the highest decision making body a report as to what the federation is doing in with football this year, and what is the plan for next year. It was mostly housekeeping with the Federation unveiling plans to develop the sport from the grassroots level all the way up to the semi-pro league. One of the agenda items was the expulsion of Senior Vice-President Rawell Pelayo from the FFB executive. As we've shown you, he was sentenced to 2 years in prison in the US for conspiracy to smuggle half a kilo of cocaine into New York. That basically calls his eligibility as an executive member into question, but instead of kicking Pelayo out, the Federation decided to allow him to tender his resignation and make a graceful exit. 7News was at the meeting on Saturday, and after the 3 hour congress meeting, we spoke with FFB President Ruperto Vicente about the Pelayo situation:

MARK KING GIVES LAND...
The new Chetumal Street Bridge has been operational at the Western end of Belize City for four months now - and the squatters who had set up on what is now the road are now just a very faded memory from 2011. But fast forward to 2015, and the hardscrabble "Gungulung" neighborhood that runs adjacent to the new bridge's southern approach is the scene of another squatting squabble. But, this time government is playing peacemaker not enforcer. 11 families along the river are squatting along a piece of the river bank which is private property. The landowner has sent them an eviction notice - but they have nowhere to go. So, the issue has now fallen, inevitably, to the Area Representative Mark King. Today he called the media to UDP Headquarters in Belize City and told us that he had worked out a solution:.. Hon. Mark King, Area Representative - "Lake-I" "What we are looking at is that they were given notice of the eviction by a law firm, I think Godfrey's Law Firm and I was notified like a week and a half ago by the persons being evicted. I took note that these persons were all Belizeans unlike the Emmanuel squatters whereby several of them or majority of them were not Belizeans. These persons were all Belizeans and the end of the day they live in the Lake-I Constituency.

One More Charged For BDF Reservist Villafranco Murder
In January, we told you how BDF volunteer Soldier Denver Villafranco was beaten to death. Brothers Phil and Orlando Staine were arrested and charged with murder, and tonight, their other brother, 33 year-old Kareem Staine, has joined them in jail. He was arraigned late this evening before the Chief Magistrate on a single charge of murder, and due to the nature of the offences, he was remanded; he will be brought back to court on May 27, along with his other brothers. Villafranco was walking on Complex avenue and at about 7:30 p.m. on January 17. When he arrived at the Sunflower Street intersection, 3 men ambushed him. One of the men clubbed him over the head with a crowbar, another slashed him in the abdomen and stabbed him several times in the chest, and the other punched him several times. They left him lying in a drain, and that's when police arrived and tried to rush him to the KHMH for medical treatment. He died 10 minutes later while undergoing surgery.

Santander Workers Rebel, Rattled Manager Calls The Cavalry
In March we told you about the big investment Green Tropics - now known as Santander will make in sugar cane production and the job opportunities available. Well, the supervisors and managers at Santander will have to appease and convince their existing workers before they take on any more. This morning at around 11, over 40 Santander workers spontaneously protested on the company compound. They are complaining about what they say are low wages and that they are not being paid for the long extra hours they have to work. Today we caught up with the group of disgruntled workers at the site and they were quite candid in explaining their complaints, despite the heavy police presence. Arturo Maroquin, Disgruntled worker, SANTANDER "We are here because we work hard every day and yet they don't want to pay us the correct money. They told us to work Easter and when we got our pay, some of us get fifteen dollars/twenty dollars. Some of us got $150 and for our social security they took out $19. Now they're telling us to go work and we have no rights. The helper is just getting $35, yet we have to pay our own bus from Cayo everyday which is $5. For a Coke it's about $2, for a biscuit it's about $1.50, a shilling chips is 50 cents."

Murder Victim "Ghost" Was Muslim Convert
At the top of the news - we told you about the murder of Edward Ghost Usher and showed you the explosive aftermath deep in the territory of the Ghost Town Crips. The narrative of his demise seems simple enough - gang man, killed by youth in gang land. But it's not that simple, really. Today in a sit down with Usher's mother - Evadney Welch- she told Monica Bodden how her son changed his life and became a Muslim. Still, she told us that her son was constantly harassed by police officers who created a bad name for him. Evadney Welch, Mother of Deceased "He was born and raised on #3 Kraal Road. We came to live here in 1977, and have been living here for 37/38 years. He grew up back here, went to Lake I School, graduated from there. He was a nice young little boy. He use to sell bottle, picking up bottles about and selling them. I use to get up in the morning and make 10lbs of Journey Cakes, and he use to sell them.

Coast Guard Rescues Fishermen With Failed Engine
Weekends in the dry of April are a perfect time for recreational fishermen to head out on the weekend for fishing. But a crew of eight almost got stranded when the engine on their skiff started sputtering on Sunday near Goff's Caye on Sunday afternoon. They called 911 quickly and the Coast Guard had to rush to their rescue. 7News was at Old College Road near the Port of Belize when they were hauled in on choppy waters:

Cancun Man Drowns in OW River
At the top of the news, we told you about the drowning in Camalote in which the family of victim suspect foul play. Well, there was another drowning, and this one happened in Orange Walk yesterday. 25 year-old Alejandro Aurelio Arjona, a resident of Cancun, Mexico, was found floating in the river in an area near the San Estevan Village Ferry. Police believe that he was under the influence of alcohol, and in that state, he and his cousin went to the river back. His cousin reported that without warning, he jumped into the river. His cousin made sure to retrieve him, but Arjona did it again. He requested that his cousin leave him alone, and only 2 minutes afterwards, he went under. He didn't resurface, and hours later, he was discovered near the ferry. He had drowning.

Channel 5

Deadly Weekend Shooting in Roaring Creek; One Dead, Another Critically Injured
Tonight, a small community in Roaring Creek Village known as Hattieville is still in shock, and residents are afraid, following a bold execution of one man and the attempted murder [...]

Saturday Morning Bloodbath, Ghost Murdered In Ghost Town
The second murder of the weekend occurred after nine on Saturday morning in the heart of Ghost Town gang territory. Five bullets made its mark on forty-year-old Edward Usher inside [...]

Another Staine Brother Arraigned for January Murder of B.D.F. Soldier
On January seventeenth, B.D.F. soldier Denver Villafranco was stabbed and killed in Belize City. Three days after, Police arrested forty-one-year-old Phil Staine and thirty-eight year old Orlando Staine and charged [...]

Santander Workers Protest Salary Arrangement
Were Santander employees protesting salary issues this morning? Well, that was the word going around. Over twenty workers were in front of the company's offices today querying about pay they [...]

�Company Rep Explains Misunderstanding
So, were the employees protesting or not? Santander rep in Belize, Beverly Burke says it wasn't a protest but rather a miscommunication in the issuance of payments made on Friday, [...]

Marco Tulio Mendez Back in Court in Sugar City
People's United Party Orange Walk East Area Representative Dr. Marco Tulio Mendez was back in court today after being arraigned on six charges stemming from allegations made by a pair [...]

Attorney Dickie Bradley Explains the Nature of the Case Against Mendez
In court on behalf of Mendez was Senior Counsel Richard 'Dickie' Bradley.� He explained the nature of the charges brought against his client.   Richard 'Dickie' Bradley, Attorney for Marco [...]

F.F.B. President Vicente Says Rawell Pelayo Will Resign From Football Executive
Rawell Pelayo was deported to Belize last week after serving time in a U.S. jail cell for his purported role in drug trafficking.� The name has also been synonymous with [...]

Will Deon McCauley Be Back for Second Round of World Cup Qualifiers?
The issue of Rawell Pelayo wasn't brought up during the ordinary congress of the F.F.B. on Saturday but the future of star striker Deon McCauley in the upcoming home and [...]

European Union Doubles Its Contribution to Development of Belize
2015 is deemed historic and significant for Belize and the European Union because this year, the country has received a whopping forty million Euros, which is almost double the amount [...]

EU Ambassador on Energy Dependence
An energy summit was held in Washington earlier this year and the U.S. is trying to move its energy influence back into the region. But in Belize, for some time [...]

Ambassador Nestor Mendez on the Way Forward for O.A.S.
Belize's Ambassador to the O.A.S., Nestor Mendez, in a historic vote became the new Assistant Secretary General Elect of the organization.� The post becomes effective later this year in July [...]

�Where Does Belize/Guatemala Dispute Stand?
But with a Belizean representative holding the second to the highest seat in the O.A.S. hierarchy, will it help with the resolving the Belize-Guatemala dispute?   Nestor Mendez, Assistant Secretary [...]

MLA Prepares for Upcoming CCJ Judgment
The Caribbean Court of Justice during its inaugural sitting in Belize's jurisdiction will preside over an upcoming land rights claim involving the Maya communities and the Government of Belize.� The [...]

O.A.S. Recognizes Students in Model Summit
A Belizean delegation participated in a simulation summit for the O.A.S. at the end of last month in the Caribbean. They joined over a hundred delegates for sessions to role-play [...]

Sporting Highlights with James Adderley
Good evening, I'm James Adderley and this is Sports Monday.   It was billed as a monster showdown out at San Pedro where Saturday night the defending champion, Tigersharks, hosted [...]

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

CTV3

O/W East Area Representative, Dr. Marco Tulio Mendez Re-appears in Magistrate Court
This morning, the Orange Walk Magistrate's court was abuzz with activity as both Area Representatives for Orange Walk Central and East Constituencies re-appeared for their on-going cases brought against them. Viewers may recall in January of this year, Orange Walk East Representative Dr. Marco Tulio Mendez was arraigned in the magistrate court and slapped with six charges including aggravated assault of an indecent nature and common assault of two minors. Reports were that the complaint made against him stemmed from offenses that go back to 2005. Also making an appearance was Former leader of the PUP, John Briceno who was read with three traffic violations stemming from an incident on January twenty-second during which he allegedly ran over the foot of Christopher Hendricks in this gold Toyota Land Cruiser Prado. Hendricks is the driver for cross-town political rival Gaspar Vega. And while both cases have been highly sensationalized in the mainstream media, both parliamentarians were back at court this morning and that's where we start our coverage�.. Reporter Maria Novelo has the lead story tonight�

Dr, Marco Tulio Mendez Is Still Orange Walk East Area Representative, He Says
And so while Mendez is faced with a huge hurdle in the courts, we felt compelled to ask him about his future political career. The Orange Walk East Area Representative has gone on record to state that he will not be seeking re-election in the next General Elections and plans on retiring on the advice of his doctor because of chronic ill health, resulting from an old spinal injury. As mentioned, Mendez is still the elected PUP Area Representative in the National Assembly for Orange Walk East and while rumours are that he will resign from the post triggering a bi-election in the Orange Walk East constituency, today he told us he's not going anywhere�.. "Yes, am still a member, I haven't resigned and of course I am just going through course of the legal process, I haven't resigned and I am still representative of the Orange Walk East Area." Maria Novelo - Reporter "The opposition Mr. Elodio Aragon has been pushing for your resignation?"

FFB Awaits Mr. Pelayo's Resignation
The Football Federation of Belize held its eighth ordinary congress in Belmopan on Saturday and on the agenda was the discussion surrounding the expulsion and role of Rawell Pelayo as an executive member of the Federation. As we've reported, Pelayo was arrested in 2013 when he flew to Houston for the Gold Cup in July of that year where he spent 21 months in a detention center in the US. Pelayo faced a narcotic charge on June 30th 2014 when he pleaded guilty to conspiracy to smuggle half a kilo of cocaine into New York. Last week Pelayo was released and on Tuesday was deported back to Belizean soil. And while he holds the position as senior vice president, today President of the Federation Ruperto Vicente says Pelayo will receive a graceful exit and discussed the issue of incomplete accounting for the Gold Cup monies, which was reported to have stayed in his luggage when he was detained. "Mr. Pelayo is a member of the football family and we want to treat every member of our football family with respect, yes he was an agenda item for today's meeting but we remove that from the agenda is because we want to give Mr Pelayo an opportunity to submit his resignation which he has indicated that he will submit that resignation and for that reason we move that item from the agenda."

US Naval Hospital Ship Arrives In Belize
The US Naval Hospital Ship, USNS COMFORT arrived in Belize late last week and has begun working in different communities providing outpatient medical, dental and preventative medicine and health education services. The team is focusing primarily in the Hattieville and Independence areas but this afternoon, they reached out to the community of San Victor Village in the Corozal District to provide a small assistance to the students in the village. Dalila Ical - Reporting The school received the pleasant surprise last week that the children were to receive a generous donation from members of the US Armed Forces. That donation was handed personally to each child enrolled at the school, all 192 of them. Eighteen preschoolers were also given a gift. School Principal Ramiro Castillo says that students are yet to receive some foot wear that he indicated were a necessity at the school.

Trouble Brewing At Santander Sugar Factory
In March of this year, we told you about a new player in the Sugar Industry called the Santander Group who invited the media over for a tour of their facilities. At the time, the company boasted that it had already pumped in approximately ninety million U.S. dollars into the project, as well as employed roughly eight hundred men and women, a majority of whom are Belizeans. Well tonight, things are a bit sour in that Company since the employees staged a protest in front of Green Tropics in the Cayo District and the police were called in to maintain order. We have been informed that the workers feel they are being treated unfairly and their working conditions are not up to par. Arsenio Estrada, one of the workers who spoke to our colleagues at Plus Television, says they were "Sold lies" to gain employment. ARSENIO ESTRADA - Worker, Santander "Actually I was told a lie; I was told that I was going to making so much amount of money so I came. I am actually a scale welder, I help build the US Embassy and I worked several places before and actually I was the pride of my welding skills right here, they didn't give me a welding test, they only told me take $40 and if you don't want it just go home and I noticed all the other guys coming after me were taking it and they all took a test and that determined their raise and up to now a whole year and I haven't receive a raise, me and several other guys here."

PlusTV

Michael “Popeye” Foreman is latest City murder victim
For the second time in as many nights, police are investigating a murder in Belize City, also near the center of town. This time the victim is no stranger to police or the press. He is 32 year old Michael Horace Foreman, also known as “Popeye”, of an Iguana Street Extension address in Belize City...

Police update on recent murder cases
Earlier this week Mark Rhamdas was killed in Belize City and Jamie Chavarria was killed in the same area one week earlier. Are the cases related? We will have police’s response to that shortly, but first Superintendent Hilberto Romero updated the press on the status of the Rhamdas murder. Supt...

Supreme Court defers decision on Keyren Tzib bail application
Supreme Court Justice Herbert Lord has reserved decision on an application for bail made today by 24 year old Seaman of the Belize National Coast Guard (BNCG) Keyren Tzib,��charged with attempted murder, dangerous harm and use of deadly means of harm in an attack on colleague Petty Officer First Cla...

City councilor speaks on Javier Novelo termination
Yesterday, we told you about the non-renewal of a contract for senior worker at the Belmopan City Council, Javier Novelo, who worked for over 9 years at the Council’s Engineering Department and a year and a half as the head of that department...

Former PUP mayor complains about new UDP council firings and hirings
In related news, the Dangriga Town Council is in the process of restructuring the council and unlike the Belmopan City Council which did not change party colour, the Dangriga Town council shifted from a PUP town council to a UDP town council...

US Naval Hospital Ship in Belize on humanitarian effort
The U.S. Naval Hospital Ship- USNS Comfort , arrived in Belize on Thursday morning. Onboard the ship were over 1,000 crew members consisting of Navy doctors and surgeons who have come to Belize on a humanitarian mission...

BAY Does Volunteer work with Navy Meds
Members of the Belmopan Active Youths also known as BAY will be travelling to the medical sights in Hattieville and Independence over the next 6 days, not to receive services from the navy medics, but to give services...

Murdered John Doe identified
Yesterday we reported on the unidentified man who was found badly beaten at the Welcome Center in San Ignacio. The victim was taken to the KHMH but succumbed to his injuries while admitted at the hospital...

A Community of Squatters in the Heart of the Country
In 1962, Belmopan was chosen as the new capital after the devastation of hurricane Hattie left Belize City in ruins. Since then, the City of Belmopan has been rapidly expanding, so much so that there is no more available land to inhabit according to RECONDEV and the Lands Department...

Supreme Court grants three bail applications
Four men accused of varying crimes today applied for bail in the Supreme Court before Justice Herbert Lord. 23 year old Ronald Michael and 30 year old Alrick Smith are out on bail of $10,000 each.� Michael and Smith are charged with conspiracy to commit murder and Michael alone with attempted murder...

Patrick JonesPJ

Concerned Dangrigans on a Mission to Restore Beach
The massive erosion along the coastline continues to cause concern to coastal residents and Dangriga is no exception. The Brothers and Sisters Keepers Group (BSK) have certainly made its mark along the northern beach of beautiful Dangriga right in front of the Garden of Gethsemany (Dangriga Cemetery). Visitors [�]

Galen University students participate in Model OAS General Assembly
The 7th Summit of the Americas organized by the Organization of American States (OAS) in Panama City, Panama, is complete; however today in Belize City a group of Belizean students displayed the knowledge that may make them future diplomats participating on Belize's behalf in such events. The OAS [�]

Third Belize City murder in four days; police charge teenager
Belize City has seen three incidents of murder in the last six days dating back to the end of the Easter weekend. The latest was brazen and disturbing, but police have solved it rather quickly. Around 9:20 on Saturday morning, April 11, police visited a yard on Mayflower [�]

Rotary District 4250 holds training seminars
The Rotary International organization is one of the single largest humanitarian organizations worldwide with over 34,000 clubs in most countries. Belize's 9 clubs are located in District 4250 which covers the Northern Triangle of Central America along with Guatemala and Honduras. In July this year, a new District [�]

Deon McCauley's place on national team discussed at FFB General Congress
Fresh from a disappointing performance in the opening round of 2018 World Cup qualifications where Belize narrowly squeaked by the lowly Cayman Islands, and a promising debut in beach soccer where Belize won one of three games in group play at the regional championships in El Salvador, the [�]

Rawell Pelayo to leave FFB
He was a vice-president in the Football Federation of Belize accompanying Belize's first-ever national side to go to the Gold Cup to the United States in 2013. But two years later Rawell Pelayo returned home in disgrace, having served 21 months of a two-year sentence in New York [�]

Coast Guard rescues fishermen near Stake Bank
The Belize National Coast Guard has acquired a reputation for fast acting to save lives on the sea in marine incidents. On Sunday evening a rescue boat went out on a call south of the Stake Bank area to save a group of fishermen. Petty Officer Class 3 [�]

Lake I squatters to move to Cotton Tree
Last week a group of persons squatting on a private piece of property in the area behind the Lake Independence Boulevard reported that they were being given a week to move after receiving formal notice of eviction, some for the third time, as they have been caught previously twice on [�]

Disgruntled Workers at Green Tropics Protest
This morning around 11:45 am police and BDF soldiers were dispatched to Green Tropics Enterprise in the Cayo District to quell a protest that was started by a group of disgruntled workers. Sources say that a group of employees were organizing a demonstration to complain about their wages that they [�]

Lisa Shoman will lead the 20 member Electoral Observer Mission for the May 11th General Elections in Guyana
It was confirmed by Guyanese Ambassador, Albert Ramdin that the former Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade of Belize, Lisa Shoman will lead a 20 member Electoral Observer Mission for the May 11th General Elections in Guyana. This group was developed by the Organization of American States (OAS) to [�]

San Estevan Villager drowns
Orange Walk police are investigating the circumstances surrounding the drowning of a San Estevan Village resident. According to authorities, they responded to a distress call sometime on Sunday and upon arrival saw the motionless body of 25 year Alejandro Arjona laying face up in the New River, near the Ferry. [�]

Hon. Briceno and Hon. Mendez back in Court, find out more what happen here
This morning two parliamentarians appeared at the Magistrates Court in Orange Walk Town to answer to charges placed against them. We are talking about Orange Walk Central Area Representative John Briceno who was accused of running over the foot of Gaspar Vega's Driver, Christopher Hendricks on January 22nd of last [�]

Belize Weather Forecast: Mainly Fair Weather
The National Meteorological Service of Belize is predicting mainly fair weather for the next few days. The weather for today will be mainly sunny with a few cloudy spells and partly cloudy tonight. Winds will blow to the East to South East at 10 to 20 knots. The sea state [�]

UPDATE Breaking News: Body of Man Found in Big Falls Village
A man' body was discovered early this morning by residents of Big Falls Village in the Toledo District. The body was found on the side of the southern highway. Witnesses at the scene are saying that it appears to be a hit and run incident. However, police haven't process the [�]

Chuc's Gas Station on Bullet Tree Road Gets Robbed
Last night around 9:25pm, San Ignacio Police responded to a robbery at Chuc's Gas Station on Bullet Tree Road. According to police, two masked men of dark complexion approached the gas attendant and pointed a .38 revolver demanding money. Fearing for his life, the gas attendant handed more than $600 [�]

Military Sea hospital ship USNS Comfort (T-AH 20) Visits Belize
A special ceremony for members of the Continuing Promise 2015 Organization was held in Belize City on Friday, April 10th. Thousands of members from 70 non-governmental and international organizations got together to share ideas and provide much needed services for improving the lives of Belizeans. Continuing the Promise is [�]

The March 22, 2015 issue of The STAR (Cayo) is online HERE

This Week's Stories:

• Harrison Drops The Bomb:
    Just 75 days ago Richard Harrison was a national candidate for the People's United Party and glowing endorsements from his party leader Francis Fonseca. But in quick time after his historic defeat he has faded into obscurity; Harrison disappeared from public view before the votes were finished counting in the Cayo North bi-election. But he has re-appeared quite suddenly with a searing political commentary called "A Post Election View From Under The Bus." Harrison starts by saying that the party leadership, quote "threw him under the bus" when it endorsed his replacement Michel Chebat without his knowledge. Harrison takes this as disrespect after all he gave in the failed bi-election effort. He then asks, provokingly, "if they cannot uphold their own party's constitution while in opposition, how can they be expected to uphold the national constitution while in government?"
  • Launching Of "A Walk Through El Cayo":
    The Institute for Social and Cultural Research today launched a publication titled "A Walk Through El Cayo." The 48-page paperback book gives a concise history of many of the public spaces around San Ignacio and Santa Elena or what was known in the early days of the settlement as El Cayo. Contributors to the publication included Diana Askari, Francisco Galvez, Jr., Luis Gentle, Hilda Mencias, Hernan Ochaeta and Hector Silva, Sr. Field researchers were Giovanni Pinelo and Selene Solis and the editorial team was led by Nigel Encalada, the Director of the Institute for Social and Cultural Research. Among the areas highlighted in the book are the Hawksworth Bridge, the old San Ignacio Hospital, Sacred Heart Church as well as early business enterprises in Santa Elena town. Copies of the book were given to primary schools that were present at the official launching ceremony which was held at the Cayo Welcome Center. The San Ignacio Library and media representatives who attended also received copies.
  • "A Post Election View From Under The Bus.":
    Municipal elections in Belize are held every three years and were scheduled for March 4, 2015. General elections to elect members of the House of Representatives are held every five years and must be held by March 2017, but can be called by the Prime Minister at any time before then, with only 30 days notice. Suddenly, in mid-November 2014, People's United Party (PUP) elected area representative for Cayo North (Hon. Joseph Mahmud) resigned as standard bearer for his party, and I (among others) was called by senior party officials inviting me to participate in intra-party convention to elect a new standard bearer that would represent the party in the next general elections. After some consultation with people in the area, I decided to accept this invitation, and started to do some ground work in the division.
  • Official Swearing In Of The New Mayor And Councillors Of San Ignacio and Santa Elena:
    The new San Ignacio/Santa Elena town council officially took office on Monday, March 16, 2015. Mayor Earl Trapp and his councillors were sworn in during a short ceremony held on Sunday afternoon at the Cayo Welcome Center by Senior Justice of the Peace Elulogio Cano. Prior to the start of the swearing in ceremony, Mayor Trapp and the councilors went around greeting the people who had gathered to witness the event and to enjoy the entertainment provided by the Super Furia Band.
  • Land Fraud Cases:
    The Ministry of Natural Resources and Agriculture (MNRA), through the Lands and Surveys Department, has launched an investigation into fraud cases involving land titles that were recently discovered. The preliminary investigation suggests that there is a systematic effort being orchestrated by persons of both foreign and local nationalities to obtain property by fraudulent means. The perpetrators use fraudulent international passport and other forms of identification to usurp the identity of real land owners to obtain property and subsequently proceed to fraudulently transfer land titles to prospective buyers by forging signatures of MNRA officials in an effort to make the documents appear legitimate as though they were issued from the Lands and Surveys Department. It appears that the con artists are targeting properties owned by absentee landowners who reside abroad.
  • National Elite Basketball League - All Star Night:
    The NEBL will be hosting its first ever All Star Night on Friday, April 10 at the Sacred Heart College Auditorium in San Ignacio Town. The All Star Game will tip off at 8 p.m., with North versus South. Entrance fee is $10 general admission and $15 for VIP seating. Children under 10 years of age pay $5. Teams from the North will be Orange Walk Running Rebels, Belize Hurricanes, Belize City No Limit and San Pedro Tiger Sharks and teams that make up the South are Belmopan Red Taigaz, Cayo Western Ballaz, Dangriga Warriors and Toledo Diplomats. The starting five for both teams will be selected by the fans, via Facebook likes. Fans are encouraged to visit the NEBL Facebook page, click on the picture of their player and "Like" their favorite player. The players with the most FB "Likes" will be the starting 5 for both teams. Only 2 players from one team can be on the starting 5.
  • Bishop Martin Project:
    Twelve twelfth grade students from Toronto District Christian High School (TDC)(Ontario, Canada) landed in Belize City last week Wednesday, March 11. They stayed in San Ignacio making a daily trip to Bishop Martin Roman Catholic School where they began construction on a new cafeteria. TDChristian sends down students every year during their 'March Break' off school to volunteer their time here in Belize. This year's team consisted of twelve students, Monika, Sewa, Allison V., Chloe, Joey, Katie, Gavin, Melissa, Mark, Arie, Allison E., and Amber, as well as three chaperones, Ms. Marg, Mrs. Evelyn, and Mr. Rod. During their time in Belize the students learned new skills, interacted with elementary students, and toured the country.
  • The Forgotten History of Gay Marriage:
    Editor's note: This post is a Care2 favorite. It was originally published on March 14, 2012. Since then, there have been many changes and advancements in LGBT rights around the world. The information in this post still holds true, though, and is an important reminder. Enjoy! Republicans and other opponents of gay marriage often speak of marriage as being a 2,000 year old tradition (or even older). Quite apart from the fact that the definition of marriage has changed from when it was a business transaction, usually between men, there is ample evidence that within just Christian tradition, it has changed from the point where same-sex relationships were not just tolerated but celebrated. In the famous St. Catherine's monastery on Mount Sinai, there is an icon which shows two robed Christian saints getting married. Their 'pronubus' (official witness, or "best man") is none other than Jesus Christ. The happy couple are 4th Century Christian martyrs, Saint Serge and Saint Bacchus - both men. Severus of Antioch in the sixth century explained that "we should not separate in speech [Serge and Bacchus] who were joined in life." More bluntly, in the definitive 10th century Greek account of their lives, Saint Serge is described as the "sweet companion and lover (erastai)" of St. Bacchus.
  • GOB Improving School Environment For Students & Teachers In Belmopan:
    The Government of Belize recognizing the critical importance of ensuring a more pleasant school environment for the delivery of quality education to students provided school furniture and computers to the Belmopan Methodist High School in the nation's capital. The donation includes 100 student Armchairs, 15 chairs, three teachers desks, one cupboard, three book shelves and four computer tables valued at $14,525; coupled with 10 computers and accessories valued at $31,299.41 totaling $45,824.41. Funding was made through the Commonwealth Debt Initiative (CDI). Students of Belmopan Methodist High School will now have more efficient access to Information Technology due to the donation of the equipment.
  • Kidney Stone:
    A kidney stone, also known as a renal calculus or nephrolith, is a calculus formed in the kidneys from minerals in the urine. Kidney stones typically leave the body by passage in the urine stream, and many stones are formed and passed without causing symptoms. If stones grow to sufficient size (usually at least 3 millimeters (0.12 in)) they can cause blockage of the ureter. This leads to pain, most commonly beginning in the flank or lower back and often radiating to the groin or genitals. This pain is often known as renal colic and typically comes in waves lasting 20 to 60 minutes. Other associated symptoms include: nausea, vomiting, fever, blood in the urine, pus in the urine, and painful urination.
  • Mexico Supreme Court Frees Man After 23 Years In Jail:
    The Mexican Supreme Court has ordered the release of Alfonso Martin del Campo Dodd, a Mexican-American who was jailed in 1992 for the murder of his sister and brother-in-law. The court ruled that Mr Martin del Campo's confession had been extracted under torture and that there was no other evidence against him. Mr Martin del Campo said police had placed a plastic bag over his head to make him confess to the double murder. He is expected to be freed shortly. In a four-to-one ruling the judges said Mr Martin del Campo, who holds both US and Mexican citizenship, should be freed "in light of the proof that torture was used to obtain his confession in the two crimes, without there being any incriminatory evidence".
  • Ambassador Nestor Mendez Elected New Assistant Secretary General Of The Organization Of American States:
    The Office of the Prime Minister of Belize is pleased to announce that H.E. Nestor Mendez, Ambassador of Belize to the United States, Permanent Representative to the Organization of American States (OAS), and High Commissioner to Canada, was today elected for a five-year term as the new Assistant Secretary General of the Organization of American States. The post of Assistant Secretary General is the second highest office in the OAS, it is a highly competitive post to obtain, and holds senior responsibilities in that hemispheric organization. The Office of the Prime Minister and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs embarked on two years of active diplomacy and campaigning to achieve the support of the majority of countries in the Americas for this post. Ambassador Mendez contested the election against Ambassador Bayney Karran, Permanent Representative of Guyana to the OAS, and secured the election with 24 votes against 10 out of a total of thirty four Member States. This is the first time that a Belizean has been elected to such a senior office in the OAS.
  • Breastfeeding 'Linked To Higher IQ':
    A long-term study has pointed to a link between breastfeeding and intelligence. The research in Brazil traced nearly 3,500 babies, from all walks of life, and found those who had been breastfed for longer went on to score higher on IQ tests as adults. Experts say the results, while not conclusive, appear to back current advice that babies should be exclusively breastfed for six months. But they say mothers should still have a choice about whether or not to do it. Regarding the findings - published in The Lancet Global Health - they stress there are many different factors other than breastfeeding that could have an impact on intelligence, although the researchers did try to rule out the main confounders, such as mother's education, family income and birth weight.
  • Prince Charles Meets Barack Obama At The White House:
    The Prince of Wales has met US President Barack Obama at the White House during his visit to the country. Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall met Mr Obama and vice-president Joe Biden at the Oval Office. The president told the prince that the Royal Family was fondly regarded by the American people. The prince also visited an adult education school and took part in 10-pin bowling during this part of the four-day "goodwill" tour. Mr Obama and the prince last met four years ago when he flew to the US a few days after the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. Mr Obama told the prince it was "fair to say that the American people are quite fond of the Royal Family". The prince replied: "That's awfully nice to know."
  • The World Pediatric Project:
    In collaboration with -The Ministry of Health, Friends of Pediatrics, and the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital Is offering treatment for patients from birth to 21 years suffering from : NEPHROLOGY * Nephratic syndrome * Protein in urine * High blood pressure * Any other kidney problems SPINA BIFIDA * Spinal cord protrudes from the back as a lump or opening draining sac at birth UROLOGICAL CONDITIONS * Hernia / hydrocele - swelling in the groin or scrotum * Phimosis - penis foreskin balloons because of tightness of skin * Labia Adhesion - fused vaginal lips. Vaginal opening appears to be closed.
  • STAR Humor
  • Your Weekly Horoscope and Lucky Numbers
  • Letters to the Editor
  • Public Notices

Blogs

Blue Forest Contribution to Belize Sustainable Development
This week's SN Blog Posting presents information on the Blue Forest Contribution to Belize Sustainable Development and how the Blue Forest is so important in carbon sequestration, human ecosystem services, and climate change. Learn what the blue forest is and add your ideas to this discussion so that we can begin looking for common views of sustainable development that lead to integrated solutions. By public dialogue we can explore how a country like Belize can become viable and prosperous, how it can develop strategies toward being socially inclusive and environmentally healthy.

Weather, Basketball, Great Food: Things That Make Me Happy to Live in San Pedro, Belize
Here's a photo of the great weather plus an interesting new boat in town. Or at least one I hadn't noticed before� Complete with a slide. The manatee statue in Central Park was getting prepped for a new paint job. While in two days, I watched the swing set (just south of the manatee) go from this�wonky� to this.... LUCKILY - Blue Water Grill is raising money this month to build a new one! Eat at the restaurant (easy�it's delicious), donate some money, they will match it and at the end of April, the total will be used to build a bigger, better swingset. Perfect.

7 Astonishing Belize Caves you should Explore!
Caves tell the history of Belize, having been an intricate part of the Maya religion and culture. The Maya used caves as ceremonial sites and evidence of these activities can be found inside these caves. Relics, principally in the form of shards of pottery, are very common. Here are 7 astonishing caves in Belize you should explore: 1. Actun Tunichil Mukna (ATM Cave) 2. Barton Creek Cave 3. Actun Loch Tunich Cave 4. Rio Frio Cave 5. St. Herman's Cave 6. Chechem Hah Cave 7. The Caves Branch

Ocean Rescue Swimmer Course Placencia Belize
Fire Management Consultant and Robert's Grove Resort Placencia Belize 2015 Ocean Rescue Swimmer Course This course will cover basic water rescue skills needed for Surface Water Rescue and Surf Rescue requirements. Class will include information on the aquatic environment, a thorough explanation of the drowning process, how to perform a rescue in the open water environment, use of basic rescue equipment, medical care of injuries specific to the aquatic environment, search and rescue procedures. Date and Location Robert's Grove Resort Placencia Belize. June 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Class starts at 08:30 The Inn at Robert's Grove is situated on the Placencia Peninsula, an 18-mile stretch of paradise that is just out from the mainland in southern Belize, where the best beaches in Belize are located.

International Sourcesizz

Spicy Spotlight: Marie Sharp's
I had the opportunity to interview the iconic Marie Sharp, the person whose name I see and speak every single day. Marie Sharp's was our top-selling brand of 2014, and even people who DON'T eat hot sauce have heard of her sauces. For nerdy little me, this was a brush with a celebrity, even if only through a series of emails. However, I quickly got over being a little star-struck once I saw how humble she was. "We have hundreds of visitors to my factory," she told me. "If I am recognized, they all want to take pictures with me or for me sign bottles of hot sauce or sign their Marie Sharp's T-shirt, but I prefer to remain incognito. I am not a big fan of publicity, however I am happy to meet with my fans. I am a normal, hard-working person that continue to partake in the daily running of the factory." Perhaps this attitude is the reason why her business remains so successful to this day. All 12 sauces are her own recipes crafted with the goal of producing sauces with heat and flavor-not trying to make the hottest sauce in the world-and she's good at it. Despite her achievements, she hasn't let her success go to her head. In fact, the three words I would use to describe Marie Sharp are hard-working, humble, and classy. You can see why when you hear her tell the history of her business:

No Water. No Life. Belize Kids4CleanWater
Hi! My name is Cathy Power. I am an Early Childhood Educator from Canada. I volunteer with an organization called Belize Community Conservation. Welcome to the launch of my fundraising campaign. Thank you for taking a moment to stop by and thanks for being so interested in what we are doing. There is a smile out there with your name on it! Myself, together with two brilliant ladies, Heather from Belize Community Conservation and Mary Beth from Caribbean Student Environmental Alliance (S.E.A.) have been investing our time with the children and families in a community that is crying out for help. The three of us along with a bunch of beautiful Very Important People (V.I.P.) have put together an amazing experience for some really special kids each year. We call it Kids4CleanWater Belize. We have been making a splash in a very rewarding community on Ambergris Caye, Belize called San Mateo. Our program is just a drop in the bucket but that is how you get the bucket filled! Take a few minutes to watch the video I have posted here and you will see for yourself the impact we are having in a community that needs this program and with children who are bright and shining stars. The future.

Remember when Mo' Mojo Music visited Belize for their American Voices concert tour of the region earlier this year?
Check out the photos the band posted of their first (and best) stop on their five country tour!!!

Leonardo DiCaprio Taps Jason McLennan to Design "Restorative" Eco-Resort in Belize
Founder of the Living Building Challenge, sustainability aficionado and architect Jason McLennan has been commissioned by famed actor Leonardo DiCaprio to design a 68-vila eco-resort on a private island in Belize. Dubbed the "Blackadore Caye, a Restorative Island," the ambitious 42 hectare (104 acres) project will be carried out by New York developer Delos by 2018. The resort will feature an arc of floating suites built over the water and a network of artificial reefs and fish shelters, along with 48 millionaire villas and an indigenous plant nursery focused on manatee conservation. "My goal was always the fact that I wanted to create something not just environmental, but restorative," said DiCaprio. "A showcase for what is possible."

Titanic Hero's Eco-Resort in Belize Aims to 'Heal the Island'
Actor Leonardo DiCaprio is building a luxurious eco-resort on a tiny island off the Caribbean coast of Belize. DiCaprio, who in recent years has become an environmentalist and green speaker, wants to demonstrate how the hospitality industry can prosper by reviving the ecology rather than destroying it. Sandwiched between Mexico and Guatemala, Belize is said to be home to the world's most biodiverse marine life. Significantly, it was the cradle of Mayan civilization. Here lie the temples that tell the tale of Mayans. With secret beaches and Mayan ruins, Belize offers one of the most beautiful Caribbean escapes for tourists. The island in question is called Blackadore Caye, which DiCaprio purchased with Jeff Gram in 2005 for $1.75 million. The actor, according to reports, fell in love with the Caribbean country after he stayed at Gram's luxury resort, Cayo Espanto, in 2004. New York City-based Delos has reportedly agreed to develop the resort, while architectural firm Jason F McLennan has designed the blueprint of the project.

Local fly anglers to hear about bonefishing
Bonefishing in Belize will be the subject of Tuesday's North Louisiana Fly Fishers meeting at the Conservation Conference Center at the Red River National Wildlife Refuge in south Bossier City. At the 6 p.m. event, Erik Dilts and Frank Harmon will talk about the crystal clear water in Belize, which produces big bonefish capable of being handled with a fly rod. "On a recent trip the duo experienced lessons learned with travel, fishing and weather," according to a release from the organization. There will be a demonstration on how to tie the perfect bonefish fly. The conference center is located at 150 Eagle Bend Point, Bossier City. For more information, contact Scott Irwin at (318) 469-0854.

Marines set for new mission in troubled Central America
About 250 Marines are preparing to form the U.S. military's first rapid-response task force to be based in Central America, where they'll train with local forces battling drug cartels and stand ready to help in the event of hurricanes and other natural disasters. The members of Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Force-South are gathering at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, for a mid-April certification exercise prior to their June deployment to four Central American countries. The unit includes about 100 Marines from the Camp Lejeune's 8th Engineer Support Battalion, plus detachments from II Marine Expeditionary Force and 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing. Like the Marine Corps' other task forces designed to respond to contingencies occurring within designated combatant commands, SPMAGTF-South will be dispersed throughout U.S. Southern Command's area of responsibility. Four CH-53E Super Stallion heavy-lift helicopters and the bulk of the Marine engineers will be based in Honduras, with other teams working in the neighboring countries of Guatemala, El Salvador and Belize, said Capt. Armando Daviu, a spokesman for Marine Corps Forces South.

Final Kiwanis travel film of season on Mayan world
The Kiwanis and Rotary Clubs of Northern Door brings the audience of its Travel and Adventure Film Series to Belize and Guatemala for the sixth and final showing of its 2014-15 season, "Worlds of the Maya," which will be presented live by movie maker Sandy Mortimer. It was in what is now those two Central American countries that the ancient Mayan civilization once occupied the eastern third of Mesoamerica. Similar to the Greeks, the Maya were religiously and artistically a nation, but politically, the civilization functioned with as many as 20 sovereign states in Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula. Excelling in mathematics, astrology, massive building techniques and agriculture, the Maya contributed a wealth of scientific and artistic accomplishments which continue to amaze modern scientists.

Canadian Prime Minister announces regional initiatives
Canadian Prime Minister announces several new regional initiatives that will promote health, security, democratic governance and border management in Belize. Canadian Prime Minister Announces New Initiatives that will Benefit Belize - Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced on April 11, 2015,support for several new regional initiatives that will promote health, security, democratic governance and border management in Belize. He made the announcement on the final day of the VII Summit of the Americas. He was joined by Rob Nicholson, Minister of Foreign Affairs."Canada is actively working with its partners in the Americas to improve the lives of citizens across the region. I am pleased today to announce Canadian support for a range of initiatives that will strengthen health, security and democratic governance, border management and the rule of law across Latin America and the Caribbean. In today's increasingly dangerous world, we must work to ensure that our hemisphere embraces good governance and democratic rights." -Prime Minister Stephen Harper.Stuart Savage, Canada's High Commissioner to Belize commented: "Canada is committed to improving security, especially in the Caribbean and Central America, in a manner that strengthens the rule of law, viable economic opportunities and social development.

La Zona Libre agoniza
La nueva Reforma Fiscal, que ocasionó el incremento de algunos impuestos en el país, y la fluctuación del dólar, generan un panorama sombrío para los comerciantes asentados en la zona libre de Belice, quienes consideran que de seguir con esta situación, en un periodo de cuatro a cinco a�os este sitio podría cerrar sus puertas. Hasta hace cosa de dos a�os era com�n observar largas filas de vehículos que entraban a este sitio y de comercios saturados de clientes que se arrebataban de las manos los diferentes artículos que se ofertaban, situación que ahora no es así. Los tours de compras que se realizan específicamente para venir a comprar a la zona libre de lugares como Veracruz, Tabasco, Campeche, Yucat�n e incluso de diversos lugares de Quintana Roo, ahora es cosa del pasado.

Videos

• New Lease of Life for British Army Base in Belize, 3min. For decades the British Army Training Support Unit in Belize was a hub for jungle warfare preparations. In 2011, however, it was scaled back dramatically, with the facilities mothballed. That didn't stop British troops heading out there though, and the number of units coming through has now started to rise again.

• Anti Drug Unit Roughhousing San Pedro Residents, 1.5min. Just as it seems that the Anti Drug Unit, Gang Suppression and Belize Defence Force are doing a great job of keeping a strong presence on the island of San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize and causing a significant drop in criminal activity on the island, residents are now complaining of roughhousing (manhandling) by the same officials who are suppose to keep the peace.

• Island Expeditions - Student Trips | BELIZE, 14min. Video production about student trips organized by Island Expeditions in Belize

• Picking up speed in our boat along the Belize River of Caribbean coast, 2min. This video is a small portion of our long boat ride along the Belize River just a few tens of kilometres from Belize City off the Caribbean coast.

• Hammerhead Shark - Ambergris Caye, Belize, 2min.

• Our Norwegian Cruise Vacation|Belize, Chukka Zip Line & Crystal Cave Day 4, 12min.

• Snorkeling @ Silk Caye - Belize, 5min. Did a full day of snorkeling at the Silk Caye National Park with Splash Dive Center - shout out to Victor and Marvin for guiding us through the water!

• Snorkeling @ Silk Caye Part 2 - Belize, 4min. We jumped in off the boat not far from our original spot and found ourselves surrounded by a variety of sea creatures.

• Whale Shark with a Dolphin escort ,Belize, Placencia, 2015, 2min. Snorkeling with Splash Dive shop Placencia Belize April 6th 2015. We were lucky enough to see the first official Whale Shark of the season...escorted by Dolphins.

• Shark Selfie in Belize, 15sec. On our trip to Belize our one goal was to get a selfie with a shark! This video is proof of our success!

• MASTER BLADE-LIVE IN BELIZE, 7min.

• Porcupine Fish (puffer fish) hiding in Belize, 2.5min. I found this puffer fish in a coral reef cave while I was snorkeling in Belize! Such a beautiful fish!

• Deon McCauley Must Pay Airfare To Play for Belize National Team, 3min. FFB President Ruperto Vicente speaks with media outside the Radisson Fort George Hotel following the FFB's 8th Ordinary Congress held on Saturday, April 11, 2015.

• Whale Shark, At Gladden Spit and Silk Cayes Marine Reserve., 18sec.

• Snorkeling in Belize, 4min.

• Rewind: Backpacking Belize, 5min. So I have been slammed with work this past week and had nothing to put together for you today, so I am doing another throwback video. I backpacked through Belize and Guatemala last summer for about a month. I spent one week in Belize, so here are some highlights! Enjoy.

• We Love Belize, 12min.

• Boil Up - Cooking with Flavors of Belize and Chef Sean Kuylen, 8min. Pig Tail, Boil Cake, Eggs, and a whole bunch of ground food makes up one of Belize's most popular and most hearty meals - Boil Up.

• You Better Belize It Part 1 (Butterfly Farm), 2min.

• Takeoff at Belize City Municipal Airport in a Britten-Norman Islander, 30sec.

• Landing at Philip S.W. Goldson International Airport, Belize in a Britten-Norman Islander, 30sec.

• Landing at San Pedro airport, Belize in a Britten-Norman Islander, 30sec.

• Takeoff from San Pedro Airport, Belize in a Cessna Caravan, 1min.

• Time Lapse landing at Belize City Municipal Airport, Belize in a Cessna Caravan, 10sec.

• Time lapse San Pedro, Belize golf cart ride, 25sec.

• U S Riverines Train Belize Defense Force, 2min.

• Belize Part 1, 4min. by Girls OnTheGoPro Belize over spring break! S

• Belize Poem "Public Service" by Ivory Kelly, 11min. Poetry presentation.

• Mahi Mahi and Marlin Fishing in Belize, 4min. 7 nice Mahi Mahi ranging from about 20 to 35 lbs caught on the first day of this weekend. the second day, we released a White Marlin estimated at about 60 lbs. All caught in Belize, Central America

• Belize Blue Hole and Cruise Ship, 20min.Helicopter flight with Astrum Helicopter in Belize. Our flight took us over Belize City enroute to the Blue Hole. On the return, we flew over our cruise ship, the Emerald Princess.

• Belize's Shrimp Farms ASC Certification pre final video, 8min.

• Link Copied to Clipboard
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Cayo Espanto
    Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
    More Links
    Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
    Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 302 guests, and 0 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Forum Statistics
    Forums44
    Topics79,204
    Posts500,029
    Members20,468
    Most Online7,413
    Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
    BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
    BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
    BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
    and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.