Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#503617 - 04/23/15 12:44 PM Cheapest way to call to/from USA
Cdoucet Offline
How do you guys manage calls to/from the USA without breaking the bank? I have AT&T but the international roaming fees are pretty high. I want to go and spend the summer in San Pedro, but still need a way to talk to Mom.

I seem to remember back in the day you could get a phone number through Skype and it would ring through a computer. Does anyone do this? Is there a better option?

#503619 - 04/23/15 01:25 PM Re: Cheapest way to call to/from USA [Re: Cdoucet]
MisterB266 Offline
I uses Skype to make free computer to computer calls -- works fine. There is an option where you can pay to make calls to a telephone -- never tried it.

Others I know have ipads and use FaceTime -- never tried it.

Might help to know what sort of gadgets you & Mom have.

#503621 - 04/23/15 02:57 PM Re: Cheapest way to call to/from USA [Re: Cdoucet]
KennyJoeBob Offline
You can rent a cell phone from Diane at GoPhones. Add your own credits and it's fairly affordable. I don't have her contact info handy, sorry.

#503628 - 04/23/15 05:59 PM Re: Cheapest way to call to/from USA [Re: Cdoucet]
Diane Campbell Offline
Originally Posted By Cdoucet
How do you guys manage calls to/from the USA without breaking the bank? I have AT&T but the international roaming fees are pretty high. I want to go and spend the summer in San Pedro, but still need a way to talk to Mom.

I seem to remember back in the day you could get a phone number through Skype and it would ring through a computer. Does anyone do this? Is there a better option?

Get skype. Put credit on your skype account. You can call any phone number anywhere from your skype app on the computer, with minimum charges for the call. Definitely the least expensive option out there. Pennies per minute.

#503688 - 04/25/15 01:13 PM Re: Cheapest way to call to/from USA [Re: Cdoucet]
Wizardofaahs Offline
Several options.

1. Have your phone unlocked. Get a digicell sim card. Load credit on triple up days only. Call mom in evenings or on weekend. Minimal rate.

2. Download Facebook Messenger on Mom's phone before leaving (as well as yours), call (when connected to wifi) anytime, anywhere, talk as long as you want for free.

3. Buy a cheapie phone from SMART (my personal fave). Buy minutes on triple up day (50.00 and up gets triple credit). Use that credit to purchase to buy text bundle, international text bundle, call after 8 pm or weekends. If you buy an android from SMART, you will get 3g service! Use your triple credit to buy data package for internet service! Basically you will have free internet, international texts and text messages and still have credit for phone calls in Belize or wherever.

And, of course, Number 3 is my favorite!!

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Marty), 110 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,674 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,056 Topics
462,296 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.