Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#503789 - 04/29/15 11:19 AM Tourist Arrivals Steady in 1st Quarter of 2015
Marty Offline
2014 was very strong for both cruise and overnight tourism when record numbers were realised. But, the first quarter of 2015 shows numbers for the overnight tourism sector going down ever so slightly - a very worrying start to the year for the BTB and tourism interests. Now, we stress, it is down very marginally, less than half of one percentage point - but it is worrying because the quarterly figure comes after a succession of years in which growth was shown consistently in every quarter.

So, what's causing it? Well, according to a BTB release, you should blame it on the weather. The release says, quote, "There were severe snow storms that took place frequently during this period, resulting in cancellation of flights that affected travel from Canada, as well as the Central and Eastern United States, including Connecticut, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and New York City." End quote. And while that is perhaps plausible, the other side of that coin is that there are now more flights from more destinations to Belize than ever before - and the cost of air fares is trending down due to lower fuel costs - which should attract more travellers.

The last month of the quarter, March is the only one that showed a modest 1% growth in arrivals.

Cruise Tourism meanwhile has showed strong growth so far in 2015 with a 16.6% increase in January and 15.8% in March. February was down slightly, due to weather related cancellations.

Tourism statistics for the first quarter of 2015 show that overnight arrivals remained steady while cruise arrivals grew significantly over the same period in 2014.

Still, the BTB is optimistic, concluding, quote, "2015 will see increase in arrival numbers over 2014."

Channel 7

#503806 - 04/29/15 07:35 PM Re: Tourist Arrivals Steady in 1st Quarter of 2015 [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

The Belize Tourism Board (BTB) has released tourism statistics for the first quarter of 2015, which show that overnight arrivals remained steady, while cruise arrivals grew significantly over the same period in 2014.

Overnight Arrivals Jan-March 2014 vs. 2015

Cruise Arrivals Jan-March 2014 vs. 2015

Cruise arrivals in 2015 have seen major increases in January and March, with 16.6% and 15.8% increase, respectively. February 2015 saw a slight decrease of 2.7% which resulted from the cancellation of two ships due to adverse weather conditions that made it impossible for tendering to take place.

Tourism Minister comments on arrival figures

After a dizzily rising of tourism figures over the last few years, there has been a noticeable trend in the number of cruise and overnight tourism arrivals. According to the Belize Tourism Board (BTB), overnight arrivals have remained steady and one of the main factors was flight cancellations due to the weather conditions in both Canada and the U.S.A. Overnight tourist arrivals rose slightly in March by one percent from February. But all three months showed decreases compared to the same period in 2014. It is a matter that concerns Minister of Tourism and Culture Manuel Heredia Jr, but not overly so. He discussed it after yesterday’s Prime Ministerial press conference.

Hon. Manuel Heredia Jr. - Minister of Tourism and Culturevlcsnap-2015-05-04-12h12m12s148

“When we were looking at the figures, they have been slightly down, two or three months they have been slightly down. I was speaking to the stakeholders; to the hotel airs and so, particularly in my constituency  which is 50% or the entire tourism destination. They are telling me that last year was much better than they had expected – that the airlines expected, that the hotel airs expected.  When that usually happens, it has a trend that it will slightly go down but everyone believes that the season is still good enough. “

Reporter

“However, you have to look at the other side as well. We have increased the number of seats available into Belize and moreover, we also have cheaper airfare because of gas prices.  I agree that after a big year, you will rebound and seem to be a contraction but at the same time,  there are more opportunities to reach Belize cheaper.”

Hon. Manuel Heredia Jr.

“Definitely I agree. I wouldn’t say cheaper because airlines as far as I know haven’t gone down. They have increased the seats and so but have not. Probably, I believe that  in October when South West comes to Belize, there might be the competition of having the airfare cheaper and indeed that will be a contributor for more tourism coming to Belize.”

Heredia expects 2015 to be a bit of a down year according to the BTB’s projections

PlusTV

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 26 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,021 Topics
462,212 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.