Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
This message was written to officials of San Pedro, but I think that the village council of CC should take this as a message about their future as well:

I am here visiting San Pedro again. I am addressing this letter to the people of San Pedro and to the Town Board and the Minister for tourism. I am upset. I was here five years ago and stayed a year. My, how the town has changed. I think it has changed for the worse in one regard. I was not prepared for the many golf carts crowding the downtown streets. As an American tourist from a different country the situation looks dangerous and very non-relaxing. I stepped out of the door at Smart phone and within one foot of their front door a taxi nearly ran me over. Who would have expected a situation that dangerous to be permitted in a town that supposedly wants tourists. Not only are there too many golf carts and taxis, but the streets have as many pedestrians, bicyclists, and tourists who are not used to that conglomeration of vehicles and people. Do you know that you are killing tourism for the future. If tourism has slowed down now, this is one of the reasons in my opinion. When I spoke to one of the policemen, he said that he didn't think that there was any plan to change things in the future. But more golf cart or taxi permits may be issued. Your children will not be happy with the town five years from now when you have destroyed the major source of foreign funds into the local businesses. Have you thought about your reputation as a tourist destination?
But I have a suggestion. Back street has quite a bit of room for parking and there is an open soccer field there too. Perhaps it could be used as a parking lot. It could handle two hundred golf-carts and cars. If you closed off Middle Street and just made it a walking mall, you would have regained some sanity and charm to the town. People walking tend to stop in the shops more rather than just driving past because they can't find a parking place. People might be happier and more tranquil. Tranquility is what vacation guests are here for. Perhaps this traffic situation has grown up slowly over the past five years and now you are used to it. But the tourists aren't and they will likely not come back. They may find a different place that is more relaxing. A place where the officials are more considerate of their safety.
As an outsider, I do not wish to be too critical, but I doubt that you can see objectively a situation that you have gotten used to and is bad for everybody. Please consider changing it�.walking on Middle Street would not be a bad thing. You would probably meet somebody you know and have a nice chat.
Respectfully,
Gordon L. Smith

S
S
Back street is 1-3/4 lanes wide at most, I don't know why anyone would think you can park cars there. Traffic is hell there as soon as a wide vehicle drives down the road or the usual taxi stops in the middle of the road.

D
D
Tourism is of great value here along with the beaches, the ocean life, and the great people.
Take care of it and it will take care of you!
Listen to what this "tourist" is saying...improvement will only help this community.

M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I think the point of the author was that they were uncomfortable with the chaos that locals take in stride. The author's parking solution is unrealistic-taking a football field away is crazy.

When I first visited CC there was hardly a cart on the street. That has changed. If the council is not careful CC streets will be just like SP and tourism will be at risk.

A
A
I visited San Pedro last year for a week, and spent only one day in Caye Caulker (not nearly long enough of course). The amount of golf carts in Sand Pedro was very unappealing and took away from the experience.
I am working towards purchasing land and building in Caye Caulker and will defintely keep all if any golf cart usage to a minimum.

D
D
That's the spirit!
Caye Caulker is a small island..it's quicker to travel by bicycle.
And enjoy the sites and nature along the way!!

S
S
As a regular visitor to the island for the past 8 years I could not agree more with the original poster.
Too many cars
Too many golf carts
The infrastructure cannot support the volume of traffic safely, plus there is very little regulation
regarding how vehicles are driven or maintained. Plain and simple , it is dangerous.
Pedestrianisation of Front & Middle street from 8am to 8pm would be a good solution for enhanced tourism.
It would have little or no effect on anything else other than preventing mindless laziness.

L
L
The death of tourism will not come from a machete blow, but a thousand small cuts.

R.B. Mernitz
B
B
Although I respect the original author offering up a solution to a problem (rather than just complaining)... I strongly disagree with even casually entertaining the idea of the kids and local's soccer field as a tourist parking lot as a way of addressing the over-motorized issues in San Pedro. It demonstrates self-serving ignorance.

Football is the lifeblood of most Belizeans, especially the children, and maintaining this venue is critical. San Pedro had been chosen to be the base of beach soccer in Belize. Are they aware that that a national team has been selected to represent Belize at UNCAF Beach Soccer Tournament in hopes of qualifying for the 2015 Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) Beach Soccer Championships?

Not all "progress" revolves around tourism

Mike, I know your point in posting the letter was to heed a warning to CC and you are spot on to do so. Luckily for CC... almost everywhere is accessible by walking and/or riding a bike. Not so much with all the pricey, remote, northern (and southern) resort and residential development on AC. It's a problem and is getting worse. Thankfully, I responsibly don't... and won't contribute to it

K
K
I can't see myself buying and living on Caye Caulker as Ambergris Caye has way more to offer but if some like Caulker ...so be it. There was to be a limit on golf carts but that seems to have gone down the tubes. The Island is the same size but it has now opened up now since all the new road construction and as everyone's standard of living has gone up there are more people that can afford a golf cart so that is all good.... but cars are not needed and should NOT be allowed unless it is a taxi.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 280 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day