Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#504025 - 05/06/15 05:48 PM Mapping Town Core with Surveillance Cameras
Marty Offline

to Fight Crime

With the recent installation of six new surveillance cameras at private businesses on Barrier Reef Drive, Mayor Daniel Guerrero states that the entire length of ‘Front Street’ is mapped and under surveillance with security cameras that have been mounted on the outside of homes and businesses. The cameras are giving access to the San Pedro Police to catch criminals in the act and secure a proper conviction in court.

This is another project that the San Pedro Town Council is working on as a means to fight crime on the island of Ambergris Caye. The San Pedro Town Council and the San Pedro Police Department have made agreements with individuals and businesses that have security cameras along front street to have access to video footage when needed to catch and/or convict a criminal. It has already proven successful in various past cases.

The San Pedro Town Council is now asking the entire island community to join in its efforts to have various areas on the island under security surveillance and have it known to the public that streets and neighborhoods are being monitored. Special interest is being placed on businesses in downtown San Pedro as Mayor Guerrero hopes to have all of Pescador Drive (Middle Street) and Angel Coral Street (Back Street) mapped with surveillance cameras in a matter of a couple of months.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the Ambergris Today

#504027 - 05/06/15 05:54 PM Re: Mapping Town Core with Surveillance Cameras [Re: Marty]
ScubaLdy Offline
WAY TO GO!

#504037 - 05/06/15 11:06 PM Re: Mapping Town Core with Surveillance Cameras [Re: Marty]
Shyboy Offline
I hope that some people see that this crime wave is being addressed. Maybe not with enough resources but the last two murders with prompt arrests sure beat Chicago or Detroit.

#504040 - 05/07/15 04:07 AM Re: Mapping Town Core with Surveillance Cameras [Re: Marty]
El Gringo Offline
I think the cameras are a great idea. I am hoping that this expands to Middle and Back Streets. It would be nice to see these go all the way from Caye Mart down to the airport. I also hope the cameras don't become targets for basketballs...

#504065 - 05/07/15 07:43 PM Re: Mapping Town Core with Surveillance Cameras [Re: Marty]
BZ Bound Offline
If they do, that's vandalism. Of course vandalism has nothing on murder, but I would think most people would assume if they're watching the cameras for crime, you don't want to commit a crime like smashing the camera or you might be in trouble. Maybe I'm giving people too much credit by using logic. smirk

#504085 - 05/08/15 10:54 AM Re: Mapping Town Core with Surveillance Cameras [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Community Camera Initiative In San Pedro

A week ago when we spoke to the Minister of National Security John Saldivar about the recent spike in crime in the city, he told us that there will be a boost in police patrols especially in the hot spots. But one local businessman has another solution that he is implementing on San Pedro and says it can be brought to the city. Businessman and Attorney Steve Perrera has launched a "Community Camera Initiative" on San Pedro and he told us today how this initiative can reduce crime on the island and assist police in capturing criminals.

Perrera has donated 2 surveillance cameras to the San Pedro Mayor's office and he has installed cameras outside two of his businesses. Perrera says he has started the initiative with this move and hopes other businesses follow through. So far about 28 stores have already installed the cameras outside. Another important element is the sign which should be put up beneath the cameras. If your business has not gotten a sign as yet you can call Perrera at6104444 or email him at steve@attorneybelize.com.

Channel 7

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Pokey), 58 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,079 Topics
462,364 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.