Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5 and CTV 3
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Flavors of Belize & Chef Sean Kuylen represent Belizean Cuisine at Passport D.C
On May 2nd, 2015 over 50 embassies participated in the “Around the Word Embassy Tour”, one of the events that is a part of the annual Passport D.C event. Passport D.C is a month-long celebration of International Cultural Awareness Month in Washington that is filled with festivals, open house, exhibitions, and workshops highlighting the state’s thriving international diplomatic communities and cultures. Belize was one of the embassies that opened its doors and participated in showcasing their country and welcoming over 7,000 D.C residents to experience its food, art, dance, fashion, and music. Flavors of Belize and Chef Sean Kuylen took on the role of presenting an authentic experience of Belizean cuisine, offering visitors popular local favorites such as sere, ducunu, and relleno negro.

Police Report
On Thursday, May 7th at about 9:16PM, 22-year-old Joseph Elijio visited the San Pedro Police Station and reported that on Wednesday, May 6th while driving his motorcycle on the Mosquito Coast Area, he collided into another motorist. He stated that at approximately 5PM, he was driving a red Honda motorcycle (license plate Spm-0418) in a southerly direction when 74-year-old American retiree Robert Linder, also driving a motorcycle, made a quick U-turn without signaling.
San Pedro Police have arrested and charged Alfredo Trapp for on count murder and one count of conspiracy to commit murder in the murder of 42-year-old Jose Rigoberto Beltran.

Wolfe’s Woofer: Mexican Magician
“I’m taking Sandy to San Ignacio for the Mother’s Day weekend,” George said. “Their show this year features a magician from Mexico.” “I love magic, too,” I said. “I’m one of those people who love being fooled by someone who is really good at.” George said. “I love street magicians. My favorite is probably David Blaine. He’s the best at it I’ve ever seen.” “I’ll also go to a magic stage show if I get a chance,” I said. “It’s too bad that we don’t have very many magicians in Belize,” George remarked. “I remember seeing a Mexican magician do a show years ago when I used to play music in Belmopan at the Convention Hotel. My friend Miguel talked me into driving with him to San Ignacio for a big holiday event that featured a magician.” “It was probably the same guy we’re seeing this weekend.” A week later I ran into George.

Letter to the Editor: Dr. Solorzano on Community Development
Dear Editor: I would like thank The San Pedro Sun for their participation and invitation to the island’s public in assisting to solve the problems our beautiful island is and will be facing in the near future. We all can be very proud about the progress Ambergris Caye has made over the last few years and that we have developed rather quickly into a well-known and well respected travel destination. The benefits of our success have started and our local economy and our local community has started reaping some of these benefits. However now is also the time to set aside personal interests and to focus more on creating the best conditions possible for the island’s next generation, our kids and other generations to come. I would like to urge all of us to show the respect and attention for a reasonable development of the island and to best maintain our very unique island style, that style our island is loved for. We will need to show a vision on how to create very best conditions for a prosperous future of our beloved island. Our kids will thank us all.

Doctor Love: Change
Dear Doctor Love, Me and my man have been together for nearly ten years, mostly because of a baby girl we had together when I was seventeen. In all that time he has only worked maybe six months out of the year. Most of that money goes to his drinking beer with his friends and doing God knows what all. In these ten years we have split up sometimes because he just will not change. Every time, he begs me to take him back, and I always give in because I believed that it is in him to change his ways. He does change for six months or so but soon he slips back into what he usually does. Once we were split up for a year and a half. In this time I had a baby by someone else. Now, he always holds it against me and tries to make me feel guilty. A few weeks back I found out that he was seeing someone else so I left him. Now, he is trying to get back with me. He says that if we have another baby we will be stronger and he will be able to change the way I want him to. I do not trust him when he says this. I want him but I do not want him, too. I know he is bad for me. I want to get out of trying to change him. What can I do to get through this?

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

Contract hit on Benque Freezone Chairman misses and injures Guatemalan
Sources say there is a contract to assassinate the CEO of the Benque Free Zone and also that of a highly connected Belizean who has been connected to passports and contraband. Guatemalan National, Henrri Quiroa was a passenger sitting on the front passenger seat travelling in a white ford escape on the George Price Highway towards the Belize Western Border. The vehicle was driven by Alfred Sattler, the CEO of the Benque Viejo Freezone. When arriving about 1/4 miles before the Belize Western Border between miles 75 and 76 and in an area known as Pugas Gate, Satler when suddenly heard a single gunshot which caught Quiroa in the neck.

Ladyville Murder at Wake
Kenroy Arnold was murdered Saturday night in ladyville Village in the Belize District. He was shot several months ago in the back. The shooting incident happene about 12:30 a.m., at 20 Perez Road. 29-year-old Kenroy Arnold A.K.A. “Bouncer” of Vista Del Mar was outside the residence socializing at the wake for Sylvin Encalada (another murder victim) when three men approached from the back of the house and fired several shots towards him causing his injuries. Arnold was rushed to the Karl Huesner Memorial Hospital where he passed away while undergoing surgery.

Hands Across the Sand in Caye Caulker.
Oceana Belize has promoted holding hands for 15 minutes in different communities across the country on Saturday May 16th for its 'No to Offshore Drilling' initiative at 12 p.m.

Double murder in Teakettle, Cayo.
46 year old Julian Christopher Jones received chop wounds to the body and 61 year old Paul David Signorino had w gunshot wounds to the head. Official report: On 15.05.15 at 6:10p.m., Belmopan Police visited the residence of 59-year-old American teacher Laura Jo Lambert in the Pineapple Hill Area, Teakettle Village, Cayo where they saw the apparent lifeless body of 46-year-old American National Julian Christopher Jones also of Teakettle with chop wounds to the head.

Sailboat submerged near Caye Chapel.
It's less than quarter mile from the nearest island and there is a fishing camp nearby . But no signs of a storm. Nothing floating. The boat has a hole in it and it's a for tour shop in the caye ! No storm and all items were removed from the vessel earlier

Got ants?
As well as the many beneficial medicinal properties these fungi possess, they also destroy ants... 1.) Cordyceps lloydii attacks living ants and secretes a chemical that compels them to climb to the top of the Costa Rican canopy and attach themselves to leaves; then the mushroom erupts from the ant's head or body to disperse spores into wind currents... 2.) Ophiocordyceps unilateralis is an entomopathogenic, or insect-pathogenising fungus, discovered by the British naturalist Alfred Russel Wallace in 1859, and currently found predominantly in tropical forest ecosystems. O. unilateralis, also referred to as a zombie fungus, infects ants of the Camponotini tribe, with the full pathogenesis being characterized by alteration of the behavioral patterns of the infected ant..

LOTTERY DRAWING for Sunday, May 17, 2015: First: 4889 Second: 4406 Third: 3935 Missing: 1, 2, 7

Lots on the North Side of Caye Caulker
This is the graphic Min. of Natural Resources Gaspar Vega was waving around during his press conference regarding the issuing of lots on the North Side of Caye Caulker.

Coming soon on Belizean Legends, is Part 2, of Belizean Women In Cycling.

In-situ conservation program of macaws
This year apart from biological monitoring, FCD with Forest Department endorsement has started an in-situ conservation program of macaws. The objective is to rescue ONLY those macaw chicks that are at risk of being stolen and raise them in a secure environment. The goal is to increase the wild population of macaws in Belize!!

Caye Caulker Chronicles

Power lines are going up on the North side of Caye Caulker
Who wants to guess when we'll have power there? Anyone?

The Reporter

Family ambushed near Guanacaste Park; one shot
A family was reportedly ambushed aroun 6:30 p.m. on Sunday near the Guanacaste Park. Unconfirmed but reliable reports reaching The Weekend Reporter Online is that one person shot.

Serious accident in Ladyville; two persons hurt
A serious accident occurred shortly before 6 p.m. on Sunday on the Phillip Goldson Highway near its junction with the Burrel Boom Road. Reports reaching The Weekend Reporter Online is that at least two persons were flung from a vehicle and had to be rushed for medical attention by three ambulances.

NTV draws large crowd in latest excursion
The Northern Territorial Volunteers (NTV) chapter of the Belize Territorial Volunteers (BTV) drew its largest crowd over any previous excursion on Sunday morning at Garbutts Falls. According to Wil Maheia, BTV president the excursion to Garbutts Falls along the Benque Viejo del Carmen border was testament to the kind of support and awareness Belizeans have for the issue of border security. Maheia said each person paid their own passage to and from Garbutts Falls proving how dedicated people are to the issue. The group needed four buses to shuttle all the people to the border and back. The volunteers painted the border marker at the site before returning from their excursion. Maheia said the group is encouraged by the response and said it is looking forward to future expeditions.

Murder in Ladyville
A 29-year-old man was shot and killed in a Ladyville yard where he was socializing and offering condolences to the family of another recent murder victim. According to Inspector Frederick Gordon, officer coanding the Ladyville police formation, Kenroy “Bouncer” Arnold was at the family residence of Sylvin Encalada, the 68-year-old Ladyville security guard who was found dead on Friday morning, offering his condolences to the family. Gordon said initial investigations have revealed that Arnold was in the yard with another person when three men came from the back and one opened fire. Arnold was hit multiple times and rushed to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital where he died while undergoing surgery for his injuries.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Shooting in Roaring Creek Village
We have received reports that a shooting incident happened in Roaring Creek Village around 6:30 p.m. Our sources are saying that a woman was shot in the head near the Guanacaste National Park. Unconfirmed reports are that the woman has succumbed to her injuries. This is a developing story and […]

Fatal Traffic Accident on the Philip Goldson Highway
We have received reports that a fatal traffic accident happened this evening on the Philip Goldson Highway near the junction with Burrel Boom Road. According to reports, two persons have been severely injured and have been rushed to the hospital. This is a developing story and we will be updating […]

Ladyville Man Gunned Down Last Night
This morning around 12:45 a.m., Ladyville Police responded to a shooting incident at a residence on #20 Perez Road where they found 29-year-old Kenroy Arnold also known as “Bouncer” of Vista Del Mar suffering from multiple gunshot wounds. (It is interesting to note that on March 13, 2015, Kenroy Arnold […]

Well Known Musician Accused of Sex With Minor
Well-known Garifuna performer Dayaan Ellis also known by his stage name “Nuru” who sings both Paranda and Punta music is accused of having sex with a 14 year old teenager. According to reports, the father of the 14 year old girl filed a report a week ago to Dangriga police […]

B&B owner may be forced to buy Belize oil company after her son accidentally purchased almost half of its shares
Judith Williams, owner of the ‘Wyche Keep Country House’ in the United Kingdom is currently faced with a dilemma involving an oil company in Belize. Christopher Williams, Judith’s son mistakenly bought 342 million shares in New World Oil and Gas Company in his mother’s name, which he thought was only […]

Need for a Belize National Sustainability Policy
As national governments work to ensure sufficient fresh water, food, energy, housing, health, and education for their nation while trying to maintain its resources for future generations, they discover that they are not well organized to address the crosscutting nature of sustainability issues. A National Sustainability Policy is needed to help agencies overcome current barriers to making effective decisions related to sustainability. This policy should include an analytical framework to aid government decision making on issues where linkages are vital, identify high-priority sustainability challenges that need greater interagency cooperation, and recom­mend other steps agencies can take to break down barriers to successful collaboration. Barriers to Governing for Sustainability: Currently, several barriers frustrate government efforts to address sustainability challenges such as those described below. These obstacles impede agencies’ ability to fully consider the connections among resource areas and to build the linkages needed to manage them: The separated and dispersed authority that results from the basic legal framework of government. Funding mechanisms that favor short-term, single-agency initiatives rather than longer-term, cross-agency projects. A lack of access to or coordination of foundational elements such as research and infor­mation/data. The culture of government, which tends to encour­age agencies and their personnel to “stay in your lane” and avoid getting involved in sister agencies’ activities. Fortunately, steps can be taken to overcome these obstacles and create structures and incentives to enable greater col­laboration where it is needed or beneficial.

Magical Mayan Night by Kevin Smith
As always many came out in support of SHINE and many opted to dress in Mayan white the theme color of the event. The evenings culinary treat was a buffet style dinner which was soft tacos with either corn or flour tortilla with a large variety of fixings and desert wit lemon and coconut tarts. Gary Grief made opening comments in support of the work being done and they presented a plan to building a eco friendly design for at risk young ladies here on the island. The architect of the building was there. It is clear that Michelle is very passionate about this project and with help from OWEM’s Brenda and Emily from the States, she is going far towards making a safe place for young girls to learn grow and develop. The Chinese auction was a big hit, for the trip they had to the chocolate festival. I can not remember who or exact amount was but I believe it was just over $2000. The full prize was for an incredible weekend at the famous “Chocolate Festival of Belize” in Punta Gorda Town. The weekend includes round trip airfare for two on Tropic Air, festival activities, complimentary hotel accommodations and lunch with a Mayan Family – worth every penny.

Is There Anything More Important to Our Island? Hands Across the Sand Belize
Yesterday, at noon, Oceana – the worldwide organization whose goal it is to protect our world’s oceans – put out a call for a very very peaceful protest. Join hands, by the sea and say NO to OFFSHORE drilling. This wasn’t just in Belize – it was worldwide – but for us, it couldn’t be at a more important time. Just this month, there have been global headlines like this one, in the UK Guardian: Belize plan to allow offshore drilling threatens Great Blue Hole, say critics. The document/study/proposal (in draft stage) issued by the Belize Minister of Energy opens up 99% of Belize’s waters to exploration and even suggests that oil rigs could act as artificial reefs. Aye dios mio. At noon and for the next 15 minutes, a group of about 100 people…or maybe more joined hands in front of San Pedro High School.

International Sourcesizz

Southwest Airlines Announces Daily Direct Flights to Belize and Jamaica
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Southwest Airlines Garry Kelly has announced that daily, direct flights from Houston to Belize will begin on October 15, and Jamaica beginning November 1. A Belize delegation was present for the announcement. In attendance were the Director of Tourism – Mrs. Karen Bevans, Chairman of the Board – Dr. Carla Barnett, Director of Marketing – Ms. Karen Pike, along with representatives of Tropic Air and the Belize Airport Concession. Travel Trade Manager – Michelle Flowers, and Senior Officer – Deborah Gilharry were there to share information with the public about making Belize their next vacation destination.

Facebook helps police bust sex predators — because law enforcement needs all the help it can get
Former sixth grade social studies teacher David Thompson used to put in some late nights on the computer. But he wasn’t grading papers. “licking ur thighs inside will get u wet lol,” the 49-year-old Tampa-area teacher pecked in a breathless Facebook IM to a 13-year-old Belizean girl who is identified in court documents as Minor Female Victim 1, or MFV1. “Big Dave’s” extracurricular creeping went on like that for another two weeks, until he was apparently feeling confident that he had convinced MFV1 to offer up her virginity in exchange for gifts and money. “ok then i will make sure u always have money,” Thompson chatted her on Feb. 27, 2014, a week after he booked a flight to Belize for their illicit rendezvous. Little did MFV1 know, but there was also an “MFV2,” a 15-year-old Belizean girl Thompson was messaging on the other side of the country to negotiate a similar arrangement of sex-for-gifts. And apparently neither girl realized that their other new Facebook friend, a young Belizean girl named “Iris Levy,” was also Thompson sockpuppeting as a local teen.

1.8B will travel internationally each year by 2030: report
As the global population continues to rise and economies around the world gain the trappings of a middle-class life, international travel will boom, according to an analysis by As countries experience more cultural cross-pollination, travel behaviors will evolve. The report identifies six travel personalities or “travel tribes” that may emerge 15 years from now. “The most influential prediction in the forecast spotlighted here is not how people will travel, but how people will plan their travel,” said Lark Gould, content director for Travel-Intel, Los Angeles. “The study by Amadeus focuses on travel experiences and notes that travel, as a form of leisure entertainment, will be segmented by types of experiences and served to a public according to types of travel experience seekers,” she said. “These travel seekers could be those in search of philanthropic tours or Ethical Travel as the study highlights, or those in search of purely indulgent experiences, as Rewards Hunters, or those seeking depth and realism, such as the Cultural Purists noted in the greater break down of six travel personas or tribes.

• Pretty Polly the Yellow lored Parrot, 1/2min. Update of Pretty Polly the Yellow lored Parrot we have nesting by us. No sign of babies. As you can see, her nest is quite deep. She only shows her head when we call her, otherwise she stays hidden.

• Puma in the wild, 1/2min. The Sarteneja area is rich in wildlife - you are never quite sure what you are going to see when driving from Wildtracks into the village. Paul, Jen Chapman and Emma Shirley F came across a puma the night before last... Thank you, Emma and Jen, for catching this on video!!

• Hol Chan Marine Reserve, Belize 2014, 1min.

• Sailing and Snorkeling in Belize 2015, 3min. Video clips from 8 days in Belize. The first few clips are from Hobie sailing off Ambegris Caye. The middle clips are from a three day sail/snorkel trip from Caye Caulker to Rendevous Caye to Tobacco Caye to Placencia. The last few clips are from a snorkeling day trip out to Silk Caye.

• Belize 2015, 4min. Little video highlighting trip to Belize, with side trip to Tikal, Guatemala, in February 2015

• A Budget Traveler's Adventures in Belize, 8min. Exploring the Belize islands of Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker in the Caribbean Sea.

• Belize - Snorkeling, 1.5min. Silk Caye with nurse sharks, rays, barracuda and bait fish.

• Mankato Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology Trip to Belize, 1.5min. Spend two weeks providing speech and language screenings and audiology services at the local preschools in Belize.

• Belize - 4 Bill McLean, 43min.

• Belize Navidad, 4min. Poppen family vacation, winter 2014.

• Hunting In Belize, 5min.