Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#504622 - 05/27/15 06:36 AM Today's Belize News: May 27, 2015
Marty Offline

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

San Pedro Tiger Sharks and Belmopan Red Taigaz
Another exciting weekend activity was the first playoff game between San Pedro Tiger Sharks and Belmopan Red Taigaz. The Tiger Sharks won in a close match: 74-72. If they win the next one, they are headed to the finals for the championship! Go Tiger Sharks!!

Coconut Crafts
I’ve always been fascinated by crafts created with materials that would otherwise normally go to waste. Conch shell earrings and necklaces? I’m all for it; artists are making the most of natural materials and they also make the perfect statement piece. There’s also plenty of beautiful wood carvings, bottle stopper earrings, sea glass jewelry and much more… Lately however, I’ve been going nuts over these crazy cool coconut crafts! Belize is booming with coconut trees, so of course there’d be plenty of cool pieces that would emerge from its “waste” right?! Over the weekend My Beautiful Belize got a chance to check out the Coconut San Pedro House of Culture. The exhibit brought all kinds of coconut crafts from different artists to one location. With everything from carvings of cute ladybugs to sunbathing iguanas, candle holders, cups, brightly colored beaded necklaces with flower pendants made from coconut shells, three-dimensional paintings and even uhh….coconut lamps, it was all here!

Team ‘Hole Mi Tite’ wins 11th Annual Lagoon Reef Eco-challenge
After two days of grueling conditions and a close fight to the finish line, Carlos Ramirez and James Alford of Team ‘Hole Mi Tite’ took the first place win at the 11th Annual Lagoon Reef Eco-challenge. The boys, sponsored by The Environmental Defense Fund, conquered the 42 mile race in record time, earning them the coveted first place trophy and prizes. This year’s Eco-challenge kicked off on Saturday, May 23rd and finished on Sunday, May 24th. Not only did the race see the highest number of participants, but it also recorded the best overall times. Aimed at raising awareness on the importance of conserving the island’s fragile marine ecosystem, the kayak race offers a unique experience to all participants. The 27 registered teams gathered at the Seaduced by Belize dock on the Sunset Boardwalk. Under calm water conditions, paddlers took off at 7:45AM, darting towards the north-western coast of Ambergris Caye. Spectators flocked the neighboring docks cheering on their favorite teams.

San Pedro House of Culture’s newest exhibit: Coconutz
He elaborated on how the coconuts are no longer used only for consumption, but also have become great works of art. “Our talented local artisans are taking the coconut husks, bark, leaves, stems and even the shells to make art pieces. These beautiful products are already being sold through the tourism industry. We hope that this exhibit only serves to continue promoting the use of coconuts,” ended Paz. Afterwards, guests were invited to view the exhibit. Showcased were carvings, paintings, candles, wall pieces, lamps and table pieces, all made from coconut products! Among the talented artists featured in the exhibit were Karina Paz and Edwardo “Papo” Alamilla. Most of the pieces were for sale at a special price.

Letter to the Editor: We all use oil-based products
Dear Editor, I would appreciate anonymity on this… because OMG it’s a can of worms, but I think people need to think. Although I agree in theory what the people of Belize did on Saturday May 16, 2015 to show support for the “No Offshore Drilling” campaign, the photos I’ve seen of some of the folks that were there leave me a bit perplexed. I do consider myself somewhat of an environmentalist and think it’s very important to keep the reef and the waters the pristine way they are. To make it clear, I am “pro” No Belize Offshore Drilling, however, I wonder how many people burn oil or use things that are made from oil (and may not even realize it) in their everyday lives. I only write this because I believe it is necessary to not only have knowledge of a certain subject or cause, but to use that knowledge wisely when making a public declaration of something…which is the only reason why I didn’t go (because I’m not even close to being truly green… yet).

Ambergris Today

Divya Wadhwa Celebrates Quinceanos
One of the most beautiful things that we see in Belize is the integration of cultures amongst the melting pot of diversity in ethnicity that identifies Belize as a multicultural nation. On Saturday, May 16, 2015, Divya Wadhwa of Indian descent celebrated her Quinceaños (15th Birthday) which is a traditional Mestizo celebration. Both cultures came together in one big celebration as Divya held her birthday party at the Rafael Angel Nuñez Auditorium. She entertained her guests with traditional and modern dances at an Indian-themed party filled with laughter and joy. Divya Wadhwa, daughter of Prakash Wadhwa and Adanari Garcia, was officially presented to society by her Godparents Carla and Wayne Alfaro. Congratulatons Divya!

Young Girls Empowered by Fashion Show
The SHINE organization, headed by Miss San Pedro Michelle Nunez, held a fundraiser fashion show on Sunday, May 24, 2015, which marked the closure of the first semester of a program of activities developed to empower the first group of young women to complete the course. SHINE teamed up with the models of Foreva Fancy boutique in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize, to put on a fashion show that would work as a boost to each of the girl’s self esteem. Michelle stated that the show was the biggest activity that the young ladies partook in, bringing together all the different aspects of the six-curriculum program taken up by the group. Needless to say, the girls did an amazing job on the runway and were very proud of accomplishing such a big step towards self-empowerment. Below are highlights of the fashion show.

Visit the San Pedro House of Culture this week as it presents the arts and craft exhibition 'COCONUTZ'. Local artists are displaying their artwork made entirely of coconuts as a showcase of the use of coconuts as a sustainable resource.

Flashbacks - Man of the Sea and Tour Guide Ambassador Abel Guerrero
Abel Guerrero Sr. has been a man of the sea all of his life and still has an avid passion for the sea and fishing. Born and raised in San Pedro he was an early whole fish and lobster fisherman. That makes him an expert with the Hawaiian sling, hand line, spear, cast net, and skin diving. Early in his adult life and with the advent of tourism, Abel transformed himself into a tourist guide now specializing in trolling and the use of rod and reels and fly fishing. He first operated under the name of Holiday Hotel guides and was known to help carry the passengers’ luggage with a wheelbarrow all the way to Holiday Hotel. Don’t believe us? Then ask Celi McCorkle another pioneer in the tourism industry. His knowledge of the sea and his charismatic personality has attracted many tourists who have become repeated customers to San Pedro and to his services. But Abel is more than a man of the sea. He is a man of service to his community and to God. He has been an active Lion member since1975 and has served as President and now lifetime appointed treasurer. Abel is also a Minister of the Word and assists as lay church minister of the Catholic Church. Abel has also been a hard working member of the Board of Directors of San Pedro High School. Though he is not 100% active as a tourist guide, his passion of the sea still carries him back to the sea to explore with guests and friends the many wonders of the marine world.

Saga Humane Society Says Business is NOT For Sale
As the “For Sale” sign was posted at Saga Humane Society on Sea Star Street early Saturday morning, the rumor mill in San Pedro dubbed the “coconut telegraph” was so hot it nearly caught flames. Speculation that Saga Humane Society was for sale circulated, as did its’ potential closing for most of the day until Saga issued a Facebook post and a release to the media that all is well for Saga Humane Society and that expansion is on the horizon, not closure. Saga Humane Society Board Member Kevin Smith commented, “No Saga is not for sale, and No Saga is not closing its doors. We were notified by the landlord that she and her partner have made the decision to sell the property for personal reasons. We have good open communication with the landlord and the real estate company and will have plenty of time to make arrangements for all of the animals that we will continue to care for”.

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

Belize Attends the Hotel Opportunities Latin America (HOLA) Investment Conference – Key Takeaways
BelizeINVEST, BELTRAIDE participated in the 2015 Hotel Opportunities Latin America (HOLA) Investment Conference which took place at the J.W. Marriott Marquis in Miami, FL on April 28 – 30, 2015. HOLA is designed to provide an annual meeting place for over 400 hotel executives, investors, lenders, developers and the professional advisory community who are interested in doing deals in one of the world’s hottest hotel markets – Latin America and the Caribbean, which also includes Belize. One of the key discussion points of course included that of Cuba as the undiscovered Tourism destination as per the recent dialogue on the U.S. dropping its embargo. Indeed, the natural authentic and untouched beauty of Cuba makes it a very attractive destination for hotel and resort developers. Other Latin America and Caribbean destinations demonstrated some concern on Cuba opening up its market and having impacts on their visitor levels; however, it is generally believed that Cuba will not, in fact, create a threat to other destinations like Belize, but rather it will induce a new demand to the region as a whole.

Belize International Jazz Festival
Opening Concert Saturday, 6th June 2015 5pm to Midnight Memorial Park, Belize City

Tracking poachers
These are belongings left behind by macaw poachers on a camp as they escaped. Items include: spikes to climb tree, rope, machetes, clothes, food.

Minister of Foreign Affairs the Hon. Wilfred Elrington and Guatemalan Foreign Minister Carlos Raul Morales, along with the outgoing Secretary General of the OAS José Miguel Insulza yesterday at a special ceremony in Guatemala City signed the Protocol to Amend the Special Agreement between Belize and Guatemala to Submit Guatemala’s Territorial, Insular and Maritime Claim to the International Court of Justice (ICJ). In his remarks Minister Elrington said, “For my country, the claim has been a blighted colonial legacy. It has stymied for far too long the growth and development of Belize. It has affected the national psyche of our people and the evolution of good fulsome and neighbourly relations which should rightly exist between two countries which fate, history and geography have caused to be juxtaposed in perpetuity.” He said, “The Government of Belize is resolved to put this Guatemalan claim behind us as early as possible. It is irrevocably committed to being bound by the decision of the Belizean electorate on this claim as manifested in a referendum.”

The Instituto Panamericano de Geografia e Historia herein announces the call for applications for the open Graduate Scholarship (Masters or PhD) in Earth Sciences awarded by the Geophysics Commission of the PAIGH for a Latin American student to study at the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM).

BOLEDO DRAWING for Tuesday, May 26, 2015: 99. FANTASY 5: 34 21 17 33 8 I

San Pedro Community Meeting Wednesday, May 27at 5:45pm
Come be a part of/witness Election of Branch Executive Board. There are ample upcoming volunteer opportunities to sign up for. Come on out and a volunteer for one (or more) events. San Pedro Town Council Conference Room.

New Benque Archaeological Site
Benque has a new archaeological site, and it's being excavated currently. Not sure yet of the name, or exact time period of its use, but they are working on it. You can visit the site now too! "It is possible that this site dates back to the early Classic period, not certain as yet. From here you can see Xunantunich, the Arenal mounds. We really thank the people who are working there diligently and the ones who make this project happen, especially Mr. Subrata Basu. If you are interested in visiting the site, please call the Benque Viejo Town Council at 803-2020. Images courtesy of Heber Gomez"

Channel 7

Banana Bank Body Is Decapitated, Dismembered, Disemboweled
A man's body was found in the Roaring Creek River this morning in the Banana Bank Area, just outside of Belmopan, heading toward Valley of Peace Village. Police believe that it is a homicide, and a particularly gruesome one at that. The victim has been positively identified as 28 year-old Edilberto Madrid, a resident of the Emmanuel Area of Roaring Creek Village, who was officially reported missing today, but who had not been seen since Sunday. It appears that his head had been cut off, sections of all 4 of his limbs were chopped off, and he was gutted. Police aren't saying much at this time until the on site post-mortem is completed, but we have learned from other sources that Madrid was an associate of Roaring Creek Resident, Russell Hyde, whose wife was murdered on last week Sunday.

Belize And Guatemala Sign Amended Compromis, PUP A No-Show
Ever since it was announced two weeks ago that Government would sign an amended special agreement , or compromis with the Guatemalans in their capital city - we have heard howls of disapproval from COLA, the VIP, and the PUP. But, government was undeterred: it moved ahead with the OAS to sign the agreement yesterday in Guatemala. The government press office was there and Jules Vasquez put together this story:.. Jules Vasquez reporting Ringed by Volcanic mountains, and a skyline punctuated by high rise buildings Guatemala City melds the colonial and the modern. The central park is shadowed by the magisterial national palace and the metropolitan cathedral. But the amended special agreement was not signed in this citadel of power but in the Guatemalan Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Where before the signing, Belize's CEO Lawrence Sylvester was chatting with Military Attache Lt. Col Anthony Velasquez while Ambassador Stuart Leslie, was conversing with his Guatemalan counterparts.

Friday Night Killer Caught His Vitim Unaware, In Front Of Child
Over the weekend there were 3 shootings and a stabbing in the City which left 4 people hospitalized, and one man dead. The first fatal shooting, happened right when Friday's news was starting. 33 year-old Lyjon Franklyn was killed, and 20 year-old Aaron Flowers was injured. 7News has been following the story since Friday night, and Daniel Ortiz tells us how the men were caught off guard: Daniel Ortiz reporting On Friday night, Iguana Street Extension - right in front of Kim's Shop 2 - was cluttered with crime scene markers, the aftermath of a shooting which claimed the life of 33 year-old Lyjon Franklyn, and left 20 year-old Aaron Flowers hospitalized. Lancelot Flowers - Friend of Deceased "I was at my home on Jump Street watching a NBA game and I got a text from my father saying that they ran in our yard, shot Lyjon and he was on the ground. That is how I got the news. I just jump up and came back here to check, because he is my brother. And a lot of people brother as well."

Southside Home Sprayed With Gunfire
Last night residents of the Yabra area heard what they say was a machine gun spray gunfire on the Caesar Ridge home of well-known southside businesswoman Pamela Bennett Cumberbatch. As a result, her son, 27 year-old Mark Gentle, also known as Mark Vernon, is hospitalized in a critical condition tonight, and her husband 34 year-old Calvin Cumberbatch was treated and released. It happened at around 7:20 p.m. when both Gentle and Cumberbatch were sitting on a step in front of their house. That's when a vehicle stopped in front of the house. 2 men pulled weapons from inside, let off a barrage of gunfire, and sped off. Today, police briefed media about what information they have at this time: Raphael Martinez, Police Press Officer "Initial investigations revealed that both men were sitting on the steps in front of their residence on Caesar Ridge Road when a vehicle passed and two men reportedly fired several shots at them causing their injuries. Cumberbatch was treated and release. Sadly, Gentle remains at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital in a critical condition."

Rhaburn the Rower In Trouble For Out of Season Game Meat
Jerry Rhaburn, he's known as a former champion of the La Ruta Maya Belize River Challenge. But tonight, he's in trouble with police, the Fisheries Department, and the Forestry Department for illegal deer and Hicatee hunting. According to reports, Rhaburn is a game meat dealer, and those departments have been tracking him for some time. And, on Friday, they launched a raid at his mother-in-law's house in Burrell Boom Village. Officers found a Hicatee fresh water turtle in her refrigerator. Of course, Hicatee season is closed right now, and so it is illegal to possess it at this time. Officers then issued him with a warrant, and they took him back to his own house in Burrell Boom. When the officers searched his refrigerator, they found another Hicatee, and a full deer carcass, which he was not allowed to have since he didn't have a hunting license. So, Rhaburn was criminally charged with the Forest and Fisheries offenses of possession of Hicateee within the Closed season, and illegal hunting without a valid permit. He will have to show up to court at a later date this month. That's on this instance, but authorities believe he is a major game meat dealer.

Nine Year Old Knocked Down In PG
A woman and her son were flung from a scooter in an accident in Punta Gorda on Friday. On Friday afternoon around 1:00, 35 year old Angel Budna was taking her 9 year old son Edward Rhaburn Jr. back to school at St Peter Claver. As she arrived near the corner of Cemetery Road and George Price Street, 30 year old Dennis Trapp, who was driving a Black Ford Ranger crashed into her. Budna and her son went flying about 30 feet at the point of impact. Police say it was Budna's fault because she should have slowed down and allowed Trapp to pass. Both Budna and her son had to be flown out on air ambulance. Budna complained of pain to the hip and foot while her son got cut wounds to his forehead and a broken left leg. Trapp has been served with a notice of intended prosecution and the investigation will continue after Budna has recovered.

Money Come From CARICOM
Today two additional agreements were signed between the government and the CARICOM Development Fund. These agreements were signed by the Prime Minister and the head of the CDF under the Country Assistance Program for Belize. Belize is getting $4.8 million Belize dollars to fund major developmental projects including the replacement of the Haulover Bridge and upgrading of the Northern Highway. Another major focus of these agreements is the continued support of small business development. Today the Prime Minister told the Press office how important these agreements are to the economic development. H.E. Lorne McDonnough, CEO - CARICOM Development Fund "These new agreements between the government of Belize and the CDF for projects totaling BZ4.8 million or 2.4 million US, continues the exciting trail of tangible evidence of CARICOM mechanisms at work. This amount means that in total, the government of Belize, with a contribution 3.1 million dollars, was able to obtain 4 projects it prioritize an additional 98 cents for every US dollar contributed, making good the promise of retuning to disadvantage countries, interest free all of their contributions.

Taiwan, The Ally That Keeps On Giving
The Taiwanese will also be ponying up with cash for government. Tomorrow, Ambassador Benjamin Ho will present a cheque for Five Million US Dollars to the Prime Minister Barrow. It's free money, a five million US dollar grant for the very general purpose of quote, "assisting the socio-economic development of Belize." The funds will be used to cover expenditures on key infrastructure projects, including the Belize City Southside Poverty Alleviation Project, the extension of the Southern Highway to Jalacte in the Toledo District, and for the new bridge at the Macal River in San Ignacio/Santa Elena.

Allyson Fights The Gun Law
After months of back and forth in the Supreme Court, Belize City resident Allyson Major Sr. finally got his first day in court after deciding to challenge the Attorney General and the Police Department on the gun laws. He's seeking an award of damages for the ordeal he experienced when he was wrongfully accused of being in possession of a weapon. Major is trying to get the Supreme Court to pronounce once and for all if the Amendments to the Firearm Act, and the Crime Control and Criminal Justice Act are unjust and unconstitutional. His attorney, Anthony Sylvestre, was the first to make his case before Justice Michelle Arana, and after he presented a few hours of legal arguments, we asked him to summarize outside of court. He explained that the law shifts that under these gun laws, the burden of proof is shifted from the state to the accused, which violates the constitutional rights of all persons charged under the law:

More City Shootings
Earlier in our newscast, we told you about the 2 weekend shootings in which resulted in injured victims, and one fatality. Well, there were 2 others, but very fortunately, no one was injured. This morning, the Police Press Officer spoke with the media about both: Raphael Martinez - Police Press Officer "One that occurred on Saturday the 23rd, and this about 11 o' clock in the morning. Luckily in this incident nobody was injured. However when police visited the scene, at the corner of King and Amara Avenue they saw a vehicle with a bullet hole in the windshield. Quick police response led to the arrest of a 16 year old minor and the recovery of a 9mm firearm. At this time police are seeking other individuals as investigations continue. On the 24th of May on Sunday at about 8 o' clock in the evening, police responded to several shots being fired on Arlington Drive in Belize City. When they arrived at the location, they recovered several expended 9mm shells or empty casing. What transpired was that a man was driving his vehicle in that area when several shots were fired at his vehicle causing several bullet holes in the sides of his vehicle. Luckily nobody was injured again as police investigations continue."

Bus Driver "Box Down" Taximan
These days, almost every cell phone has a camera - so we shouldn't be surprised when we see more and more videos turning up of everyday events that normally would escape notice. That's what came across our facebook feed this morning when bus driver Daren Stuart was seen punching out a taximan who had just run into his Stuart's bus. It happened on Saturday evening at 6:15 in Ladyville. The taximan - who looked like he had had a little too much gas in his engine - wouldn't back down from Stuart - which left the bus driver with only one choice. He explained it to Monica Bodden this evening:.. Darren Stuart, Stuart's Bus "It was like three weeks ago. This guy ran into the tail of my bus and he expected me to pay for his damages. I parked the bus there and told him to call the police so as to settle it then but instead he drove off. On Saturday evening approximately 6:10, he came and parked in front of me on the highway in Ladyville, accusing me of owing him for the damages to his van. I avoided him by driving around him to proceed down the highway. He came up again in front of the AVIS bus stop in Ladyville and again parked in front of me. I tried to avoid him but he just drove along with me."

Major Robbery at M&M, Cops Recover $$$
It was a major incident that police never reported to the press, but today, the case went to court and we found out all about the armed robbery at M and M's engineering at mile two and a half on the Phillip Goldson Highway. It was a major heist which happened on Friday afternoon at 3:30 where almost $10,000 dollars in cash and another ten thousand dollars in cheques were robbed at gunpoint. Employees were also robbed of various personal items and cash but a quick police response led to the arrest of a teenager and recovery of most of the cash. This evening, 19 year old Fredrick Smith, a laborer and resident of #18 Racoon Street Extension was arraigned in Court #5 before Magistrate, Ladonna John. He was slapped with 6 counts of theft, 5 counts of robbery and one count of damage to property.

City Administrator In Accident
Viewers may remember that about a week before the Municipal Elections, the 2012 Toyota Hilux, which was assigned to Mayor Darrell Bradley as mayor, was totaled by Councillor Alifa Elrington-Hyde. The Opposition's candidate, Yolanda Schakron, complained bitterly about it because it was a vehicle which was purchased with public funds, and after that crash, it was a write off. Well, we've learned that another vehicle belonging to the Belize City Council has been significantly damaged. This one is assigned to the office of the City Administrator, Candice Burke, and our information is that she and her family took a trip to Chetumal for the weekend, and had an accident yesterday evening at around mile 14 on the Northern Highway, near the Maxboro Area.

#504623 - 05/27/15 06:36 AM Re: Today's Belize News: May 27, 2015 [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Channel 5

Special Agreement Amended – Guatemala Goes Solo for Referendum
There is a lot of crime news, but tonight we start our newscast with a historic event that occurred in Guatemala City on Monday. A Belizean delegation led by the [...]

Sedi Says Amendment to Compromis is About Economics
According to the original Special Agreement, a simultaneous referenda was scheduled for October 2013, but Guatemala decided it was not proceeding with it and for years, it did not support [...]

Guatemalan Foreign Minister Comments on Bilateral Agreements
Foreign Minister Carlos Raul Morales told the media that for both countries to move forward, the bilateral agenda between the two must be separate from the territorial dispute. This strategy [...]

Dismembered Body of Edilberto Madrid Recovered from Belize River
A gruesome killing in the Valley of Peace Road, Cayo has left a family devastated and shaken up. They can’t say why Edilberto Madrid was gruesomely murdered in a neighborhood [...]

One Dead, One Critically Injured in Friday Evening City Shooting
While that murder was in Valley of Peace, on Friday evening, as the extended holiday weekend was just getting underway, gun violence erupted once more on the south side of [...]

Shawn Pascasio Stabbed Near Elements, Frederick Bradley is Charged
Also on the crime blotter, twenty-four-year-old Shawn Pascasio was stabbed multiple times on Sunday morning during an altercation outside of Elements Nightclub on Newtown Barracks.  Pascasio was reportedly standing on [...]

Gunmen Open Fire on Caesar Ridge Road, Two Men Injured in Onslaught
The wanton bloodlust over the holiday weekend culminated on Monday night with a violent attack on a pair of Belize City men who were seated in front of their home [...]

Minor Detained for Shooting at Vehicle on Amara Avenue
A sixteen-year-old minor remains in police custody tonight after firing a nine millimeter handgun at a vehicle on Saturday.  The shooting took place near the corners of King Street and [...]

Chinese Nationals Arrested in Benque for Growing Weed
A police operation early this morning in Benque Viejo has resulted in the arrests of four men, charged with the cultivation of marijuana. At around five-thirty, members of the Quick [...]

Why is C.E.O. Candelaria Saldivar on Administrative Leave?
News Five has been able to confirm that C.E.O. in the Ministry of Immigration and sister of the Minister of National Security, Candelaria Saldivar, has been placed on administrative leave [...]

Fire Leaves Lord’s Bank Family Homeless
A family in Lord’s Bank, Ladyville has been displaced after a fire swept through their wooden bungalow house. Despite efforts by the fire department to extinguish the blaze, it quickly [...]

Gun Case Against Allyson Major Dismissed
A Belize City man who was locked down for thirty-eight days on firearms offences was in the Supreme Court today after he sued the government for wrongful imprisonment. The case [...]

…He Challenges Harsh Gun Laws in Supreme Court
Sylvestre says that they are basing the case on two arguments.   Anthony Sylvestre, Attorney for Allyson Major “One, that his constitutional right not to be arrested, not to be [...]

M&M’s Engineering Robbed of Over $20,000 – Frederick Smith is Arraigned
Raccoon Street resident, nineteen year old Fredrick Smith was today arraigned for the May twenty-second armed robbery at M and M’s Engineering on the Phillip Goldson Highway. Last Friday around [...]

Eleventh Lagoon/Reef Eco-Challenge Held in San Pedro
Twenty-seven teams in brightly coloured ocean-going kayaks – forty-two gruelling miles from San Pedro Town to the northern-most creek bordering Mexico, and then back to town. The eleventh Lagoon/Reef Eco-Challenge, [...]

Tuesday’s Edition of Sports Monday
Good evening, I’m James Adderley and this is Sports Monday.   The 4 team semi-pro basketball playoffs got off with a bang over the weekend and we’ve got the head [...]

Missing Man Found Gutted with Limbs Severed
The body of a resident of Roaring Creek Village, Cayo District, who had been reported missing was found earlier today; correspondent Fem Cruz reports. FEM CRUZ “The lifeless body of 28-year-old, Edilberto Madrid, a resident of Roaring Creek Village who was reported missing by his common-law-wife, Julie Fernandez on Sunday morning, May 24 was found […]

Belize and Guatemala Sign Onto Amended Special Agreement
Belize and Guatemala have signed the protocol to amend the special agreement between the two countries. On Monday Minister of Foreign Affairs Wilfred Elrington and his Guatemalan counterpart, Carlos Raul Morales along with the outgoing Secretary General of the Organization of American States, Jose Miguel Insulza signed the protocol to amend the special agreement between […]

Robbers of M & M Engineering Office Caught on Video
Last Friday just before our evening news, we were alerted of a robbery that occurred at the M&M Engineering Office on the Phillip Goldson Highway. In that incident, two men of Creole descent, one armed with a hand gun, went inside the compound and held up the employees at gun point. We were at the […]

Shopkeeper Arraigned for Drug Trafficking
Thirty-one year old Jermaine Rodriguez, a shopkeeper of La Croix Boulevard, was charged with two counts of drug trafficking when he appeared today before Senior Magistrate Sharon Fraser. Rodriguez pled not guilty to the charges. He was offered a bail of five thousand dollars and his case was adjourned until July 21. On May 21 […]

Firearm Case Dismissed Following Serial Number Mix-Up
Four persons charged with kept firearm and ammunition without a gun license were acquitted of the charges today by Senior Magistrate Sharon Fraser. They are Shane Crawford, Judith Rocke and her sons, Gian Bernard and Michael Herrera. Rocke’s attorney, Kareem Musa, objected to the tendering of the firearm into evidence when the serial number on […]

Socializing Turns Almost Fatal
Twenty-nine year old Frederick Bradley, an unemployed who allegedly inflicted stab wounds on another man, was charged with attempted murder when he appeared today before Senior Magistrate Sharon Fraser. Bradley was also charged with dangerous harm and use of deadly means of harm. He was remanded into custody until July 28. The incident occurred around […]

American Airlines Introduces Direct Flight to Belize from Los Angeles
Earlier this month we told you of the arrival of Southwest Airlines to our airport in October 2015 as an additional carrier offering air transportation to and from Belize with Houston … but while tickets are already being sold online at one hundred and twenty seven US dollars – on way, American Airlines is preparing […]

Little Girl Stays By Father’s Side After He Was Shot in Belize City
A Friday night murder in Belize City has etched a scene in the mind of a 4-year-old, who lost her father just after six o’clock on May 23, 2015. Hipolito Novelo has the story. HIPOLITO NOVELO REPORTING Thirty three year old Lyjon Franklin was at his home on Iguana Street Extension in his yard speaking […]

Belize City man survives overnight shooting
There was very nearly another murder in Belize City Thursday night when 32 year old Luis Dominguez was shot multiple times on JR Street off Jane Usher Boulevard around 7:45 p.m. The St. Thomas Street resident also known as “Esse” normally socializes with friends at a house in King’s Park. One of his friends who was the last to speak to him before the incident, spoke to us this morning. “Like minutes to 9pm, we got a call. He called one of his friend and say that he just got shot and the phone cut off and the friend call back his phone and we just heard siren and we went to the hospital and we heard he got shot in his face, the bullet came from the next side and came our through his nose , and he got one in his shoulder. he said he was going to Lake I but we didn’t know he would go by Jane Usher.

Roaring Creek Decides not to Gamble
The Roaring Creek Village held an important meeting yesterday to decide the way forward as it relates to gambling in that community. Sometime within the tenure of the former chairman of Roaring Creek, a businessman was authorized to open a gambling center in the community, that is at Lucky Entertainment Center. But with the recent

Illegal Dams at Barton Creek
In December of last year, plus TV’s Cameras travelled to Barton Creek the Barton Creek archaeological site, in Cayo District based on reports of an illegal dam structure that was built some hundred yards down from the mouth of the Barton Creek Cave, an system protected by NICH. We brought the matter up to the

PUP says no to Special Agreement Signing
If you have been keeping up with news you’d know that the Minister of Foreign Affair Wilfred Elrington travels to Guatemala this weekend where on Monday he is to sign an amendment to the Special Agreement between Guatemala and Belize. The Amendment allows for Guatemala to conduct a referendum separately an on their own rather

National Animal killed, was it Guatemalans?
The Tapir, known locally as the “Mountain Cow,” is Belize’s national animal, protected under law. But last week, one of these gentle creatures was killed in the Chiquibul Forest, yes, Belize’s national animal was killed, and FCD rangers believe Guatemalan poachers pulled the trigger. The incident happened sometime between Thursday night and Friday morning last

Missing man found dead at Mile 8
Police have confirmed the recovery of the body of 27 year old Denfield Bowen, Jr., also known as “LL”,of Plues Street in Belize City. Bowen, a father of four, had last been seen on Thursday, April 30th around 5:20pm and both police and members of his family believed that he had been killed as a

Two persons charged for Murdering Taxi Man
On May 4th earlier this month, Belizean Taxi Driver of San Pedro town Donicio Trujillo was murdered. He was stabbed, his throat was cut and his body left right beside his taxi van. Police say it was a murder for the purpose of committing a robbery. Quick police response lead them to apprehend 5 people

Minor Charged for Attempted Murder
Dangriga police have charged a 17 year old minor, a construction worker of New Site Area, Dangriga for the crime of “attempted murder and “Kept Firearm without a gun license. ” The charge is in relation to a shooting incident that occurred in Dangriga on Wednesday night. According reports, police were patrolling an area known […]

Caye Caulker Chronicles

Lee At Caribbean Colors Art Gallery Has Free Reading Glasses To Give Away
Lee Vanderwalker at Caribbean Colors Art Gallery has free reading glasses at Caribbean Colors Art Cafe, and when I say free, I really mean free. The highest prescription is +3.25. Please let anyone in need know that I have glasses available now. Most of the time the people that really need reading glasses don’t have

“Belize, Why Are You So Corrupt?” Asks Departing Family of 4
A family of four who spent six months in Belize as they travel the world have posted on their online blog their experiences while in country. While trying to leave San Pedro (Ambergris Caye) by water taxi, they were charged $60 as a “Mexican Holiday Fee.” Why would a water taxi company collect fees on

Belize Choral Society to Perform Spring Concert
BELIZE CHORAL SOCIETY TOUCHES THE HEART WITH ITS “SEASONS OF LOVE” CONCERT. The Belize Choral Society has plans to touch the hearts of attendees at its spring concert – “Seasons of Love,” – which will be held on Saturday, 30 May, 2015 at the Holy Redeemer […]

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Offshore drilling proposed in Belize’s barrier reef
Conservation groups and individual environmentalists throughout Belize have been against offshore oil exploration ever since the government first proposed the idea. The biggest group protesting the movement today is OCEANA who recently held a national event called ‘hands across the sand’ in which thousands of Belizeans stood in solidarity, saying […]

CDF signs financing for Belize projects
The CARICOM Development Fund (CDF) has signed to provide financing for multiple projects in Belize including the redeveloping of the Philip Goldson (Northern) Highway and Haulover Bridge and assistance to small and medium-sized business enterprises in Belize totaling $6.5 million. Ambassador Lorne McDonough, the chief executive officer of […]

Allyson Major seeks damages in firearms case
Acquitted of the original charges of keeping firearm and ammunition without a gun license, Allyson Major, Sr., now wants that portion of the 2010 Firearms Act having to do with definition of keeping and owning unlicensed firearms struck out. Major was arrested and charged in April of 2012 […]

Shopkeeper charged with drug trafficking
Thirty-one year old Jermaine Rodriguez, a shopkeeper of 91 Lacroix Boulevard, was charged with 2 counts of drug trafficking when he appeared today before Senior Magistrate Sharon Fraser. Rodriguez pled not guilty to the charges. He was offered a bail of $5,000 and his case was adjourned until […]

Four acquitted of firearm charges
Senior Magistrate Sharon Frazer today acquitted Shane Crawford, Judith Rocke and Rocke’s sons, Gion Bernard and Michael Herrera of keeping firearm and ammunition without a gun license. On April 25, 2012, police went to Rocke’s residence on Castle Street and found a .380 pistol with five rounds in […]

Man charged with attempted murder at nightclub
24 year old Shawn Pascascio was stabbed in the chest several times while socializing with friends around 3:00 a.m. on May 24 in front of Elements Night Club on Newtown Barracks. Today his attacker, 29 year old Frederick Bradley, was charged with attempted murder, dangerous harm and use of deadly […]

How the Kingdom of Toucan Was Sold Down the River by an Incompetent Fool
By Carlos El Dente “I want you to sign a compromise agreement,” Brother Tiger ordered. He addressed his Minister of International Relations before sending him off to cut an unsavory land deal in which the people of Toucan would be given the shaft, while across the border, the people of Quetzal would benefit from the […]

Decapitated body discovered in the Cayo District
There is a disturbing report coming from the Cayo District. Confirmed reports reveal that a decapitated body of a male person was discovered by the Agripino Cawich Bridge by Young Bank in the Cayo District. Our attempts to get full details on the incident have proved futile thus far. We’ll […]

American Airlines to add new flight to Belize next month
American Airlines will add an additional flight to Belize next month. The new flight will start on June 6th between Belize City and Los Angeles and will operate on Saturdays and Sundays on their 737-800 aircraft. The additional service is part of a wider Caribbean expansion for the airline and will depart Belize at 8:55am and arrive in Los Angeles around 1:10pm with the Los Angeles flight leaving at 12:30 a.m. and arriving in Belize at 6:10 a.m.

I’m So Glad I Retired To Ambergris Caye, Belize
It’s Friday evening, nearly 5 p.m., and the Lady Leslie feels as eager to slip its bonds and head to sea as we, its passengers, do. This is, after all, a sunset cruise, and the ostensible reason for our sail seems to be too rapidly slipping toward the western horizon of Ambergris Caye, the Belizean island on which we all live. There are about a dozen of us on board, all expats who have staked a claim in tropical island living. We gather on the fore section of this 38-foot catamaran, on beanbag chairs and a comfortable webbed trampoline, perfect for stretching out as the blue-green Caribbean slips past beneath us. Among us are a family of four from Canada who recently bought a large beach house north of town, an English couple who have lived and worked on the island for at least seven years, and a recently retired couple from Los Angeles who are renting south of San Pedro Town as their fourth-floor condo is being built.

Belize Educational Programs: Butterflies on the Road 2015!
The month of May is known to be education month in Belize, so with that in mind and as part of our community outreach and education programs Chaa Creek’s Naturalist Guides set out on a journey to conduct the annual “Butterflies on the Road” program. Our guides gear up their vehicles with a power point presentation, living samples of every stage of the blue morpho butterfly and our signature blue morpho colouring books. The “Butterflies on the road” initiative main focus is reaching out to the rural community schools in western Belize in an effort to educate our young children on the conservation of butterflies and the significant roles that they play in our eco-system.

Letter from The Garifuna Nation to The Garifuna Coalition USA
To All Concerned, The Garifuna Coalition USA Inc. is a New York City based organization that was registered with the state of New York on May the 28th, 1999 to do business as a Not-For-Profit 501(c)(3) organization. At the time of the registration the Registered Agent address is 2189 Pitkin Avenue in Brooklyn, NY 11207. For many years now their office was located at 391 East 149th Street Room-215 Bronx, NY 10455. In 1999 when this organization was formed, there were other organizations and representatives included in this coalition. However shortly thereafter when Jose Francisco Avila moved from Texas to come and live in New York City and became the President, he wrote letters to these organizations expelling them from the Garifuna Coalition USA Inc. Since he took that action most Garifuna representatives and organizations in New York City and State do not have any working relationship with him or his organization which is far from what he portrays to the public in his emails and blogs. Yet, despite this fact Jose Francisco Avila continue to give Non-Garifuna organizations and other entities the impression that he and his organization is comprised of other Garifuna organizations and representatives to justify his funding sources. On close examination of the Garifuna Coalition USA Inc.’s. MISSION STATEMENT it is stated as: The mission of the Garifuna Coalition USA Inc. shall be to serve as a resource, a forum, and advocate for the Garifuna issues and a united voice for the Garifuna community”.

International Sourcesizz

Worm Now Thrives in GMO Corn Designed to Kill It, Study Says
One of industrial agriculture’s biggest GMO crops may have just backfired. Scientists have confirmed that corn-destroying rootworms have evolved to be resistant to the Bt corn engineered to kill them. Bt stands for Bacillus thuringiensis, the name of the genetically modified corn’s “donor” organism. Bacillus thuringiensis is a naturally occurring soil bacterium that produces protein crystals that bind to certain receptors in the rootworm’s intestine, killing it. For years, farmers have planted Bt corn as an alternative to spraying insecticides. Bt corn accounted for three-quarters of all corn planting in 2013. That may have to change. After finding a cornfield in Iowa in 2011 that was decimated by rootworm despite being planted with the Bt corn, Iowa State University entomologist Aaron Gassmann and his team began to study the pests’ interactions with the genetically modified organism (or GMO) corn in a lab. Their study, published Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, describes the western corn rootworm’s rapid evolution after feeding on the engineered crop.

FIFA officials arrested in Zurich, including the head of the configuration for North and Central America and the Caribbean
Two criminal investigations into corruption at football's world governing body Fifa are under way, with seven senior officials arrested in Zurich on US charges. Separately, Swiss prosecutors have launched a criminal case into the bids for the 2018 and 2022 world cups, to be held in Russia and Qatar respectively. The seven are among 14 indicted on corruption charges, US authorities say. Fifa says it plans to go ahead with elections for president on Friday. Incumbent president Sepp Blatter, who is seeking a fifth term, was not one of the seven high-ranking officials arrested. Fifa also said on Wednesday there would be no rerun of the World Cup bidding processes which saw Russia awarded the tournament in 2018 and Qatar in 2022, despite the Swiss inquiry.

‘Life-changing trip:’ Evangel youth plan trip to Belize
Thirty-one participants of the Alabaster-based Evangel Presbyterian Church youth group in Alabaster are going on a mission trip to Belize from June 6 to 13. The group will partner with Thirst Missions for the third time this year to travel to Belize and work with Alta Mira Nazarene Church in Alta Mira. “The goal of Thirst Missions is to partner with teams and provide opportunities for groups to minister, to keep everyone safe, to guide the trip in cultural areas, and to take care of all the behind-the-scenes details,” Addie Pfingsten, mission consultant for Thirst Ministries, wrote in an email. To prepare the members of Evangel Church for their mission trip to Belize, Thirst Missions provides a manual to help the groups. Prior to the trip, each person attending must find at least five prayer partners, raise the necessary financial support, prepare their chosen ministries in which they will lead in Belize and attend the required preparation meetings.

First-of-its-kind Marine task force deploys to Central America
Marines with the Corps' first rapid-response task force to be based in Central America will begin deploying this week ahead of the June start of hurricane season. The 280-person unit will to be headquartered at Soto Cano air base, Honduras, officials with Marine Forces South said. Called Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Force South, the unit will be tasked with a variety of missions ranging from humanitarian infrastructure projects to military partnership training in the U.S. Southern Command area of responsibility. Upon arrival, about 180 Marines will remain in Soto Cano as the task force headquarters element, while the remaining 100 will be dispatched to locations throughout the region to work with local militaries, officials said in a news release. The Marines will travel to El Salvador, Belize, Guatemala and elsewhere in Honduras in teams of 10 to 20 to conduct partner exercises and "train the trainer" programs, said Staff Sgt. Earnest Barnes, a MARFORSOUTH spokesman. This work is a continuation of a partnership training mission Marines have been carrying out throughout Central America.

As Oil Prices Fall, Caribbean Economies Begin to blossom
Thanks to sustained low oil prices and the region’s recovering tourism industry, the Caribbean economy has begun to break free of the shackles of debt incurred in the aftermath of 2008 global financial crisis. Economies in the Caribbean registered average growth of 1.5% in 2014 and Moody’s says that growth will extend to 2% this year. “Government debt, which rose following the financial crisis, is slowly stabilizing or in some cases declining,” stated the US ratings agency, in a note to investors. Debt ratios are stabilizing in Belize, the Bahamas, the Dominican Republic, Cuba, Bermuda, St. Maarten and Trinidad & Tobago. Debt pressures are easing in the Cayman Islands, Moody’s added, although they are increasing in Barbados and St. Vincent. Tourism is the central pillar of the economy in most Caribbean countries. Barbados, Belize, the Bahamas and St. Maarten are among the most dependent on tourism. With the US and UK economies gradually returning to normal, the tourism industry in the region foresees a brighter future.

Why Does Your Chocolate Taste So Bad?
Walk into any upscale market and you’ll see an array of high-end chocolate bars labeled with food industry buzzwords: artisanal, small batch, fair-trade. They’ll probably have slick packaging and presentation. But they’re mostly a sham. Most consumers can’t taste the difference between often costly fine chocolate and supermarket staples. Some believe chocolate-makers can’t really differentiate between the two either. That’s why leaders in the industry have created the Heirloom Cacao Preservation (HCP) initiative. It’s a joint effort between the Fine Chocolate Industry Association and the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Agricultural Research Service, and an outgrowth of the booming artisanal chocolate business. The program is utilizing the industry’s most discerning palates, along with genetic analysis, to identify—and hopefully preserve—the fine-flavored cacaos of the world. HCP’s purpose is to increase the availability of quality cacao and encourage farmers to grow it in a market that’s currently overwhelmed by flat-taste, high-yield varieties. “The chocolate industry has lost sight of its fundamentals, which include flavor,” says Mark Christian, founder of the C-spot, a go-to website for chocolatiers and passionate connoisseurs, who is involved in the initiative. “Most chocolate people don’t know good chocolate.”

• UPDATE FROM THE FIELD, 3min. Dr Rebecca Foster recounts the story of the Old Man, a jaguar who shares his range with Ben the Jaguar in the Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary

• Belize - Diving the Blue Hole, 20min. April 28, 2015. Diving Belize's Great Blue Hole. Reef sharks and underwater cavern formations

• IXCACAO, 22min. XCACAO Maya Belizean Chocolate is a Small Family Operation in the Beautiful Country of Belize, in the Community of San Felipe Village. established since 1985 under the name Cyrila' Chocolate.

• Barracuda, 1min. Swimming up to a barracuda, who was initially curious about me, then decided to casually swim away. Belize Aggressor III, May 2015.

• Sailing and Snorkeling in Ambergris Caye Belize with Reset Retreat, 3min.

• Jim and I Floating Down The River Belmopan, Belize, 2min. Ahhhh this is the life floating down the river with Jim without a care in the world on and inner tube :)

• The caress of Ticks...., 2min. Near Despair Cairn, Roni Martinez provides his views on ticks versus horse flies.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
    Daily Weather

Classified Ads
    San Pedro Sun
    Ambergris Today
    SP Town Council
    Channel 7
    Channel 5
    Love FM
    The Reporter
    Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
    Radio Stations

Click for our
    Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
    Event Calendar
    Specials & Events
    Things to Do
    iTravel Belize
    Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
    Tia Chocolate
    My Beautiful Belize
    I-Travel Belize
    Belize Adventure
    Belize Hub
    Romantic Travel
    Bound for Belize
    Conch Creative
    As The Coconuts Drop
    More Blogs...
    Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
    Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
    White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
    Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
    We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
    Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
    Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
    Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
    Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
    Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
    More Links
    Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    30 31
    Who's Online
    3 registered (Pokey, 2 invisible), 61 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Forum Stats
    18,631 Registered Members
    44 Forums
    63,697 Topics
    461,207 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
    BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
    BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
    BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
    and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.