Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I recently completed installation of a 7.6Kw system on my roof here in Florida. Each panel has a 'micro-inverter' and there really is no other equipment required other than that required to put it back into the grid and metering. If I had known it would be this simple I would have done it a long time ago as our main consumption of electricity is for air conditioning which nicely coincides with the energy available via the sun.

If BEL would even do net metering and I could do an installation on our house in Belize I would do it in a heartbeat. It really is a 'no brainer' but when battery banks etc., enter into the equation it gets much more complicated.

Captain One Iron
Originally Posted by Shyboy
Diane: What is "IMHO" solar power?

IMHO = in my humble opinion

Shyboy Offline OP
OP Offline
See Diane; I don't "text", what do I know?

A little known fact... Women who are overweight tend to live longer than men who mention it...

Shyboy Offline OP
OP Offline
AIIC..................................Just kidding.

A little known fact... Women who are overweight tend to live longer than men who mention it...
Originally Posted by CaptOneIron
.....Each panel has a 'micro-inverter' and there really is no other equipment required other than that required to put it back into the grid and metering...our main consumption of electricity is for air conditioning which nicely coincides with the energy available via the sun.

If BEL would even do net metering and I could do an installation on our house in Belize I would do it in a heartbeat....

Exactly the application I was considering for our place.I wonder if you could post the manufacturer of the panels you used and maybe describe how an internal micro inverter works when wiring several panels together in an array. Are they wired in series or parallel or does that even matter?..Is net metering reversing the meter readings when there is a surplus? Frankly if i could just supplement the electricity and use less BEL i'd still consider an array.

Shyboy Offline OP
OP Offline
BUT.... Pagan advises that you CAN'T hook up to the meter.... That is why you need the battery system. Bear; my thought was exactly that: just slow down or reverse the meter... Looks like that won't work until BEL allows it... Next lifetime

M
M
We're going to try to get started on our conversion this coming December Dave. Hope you can fit us in!! Think Sam Adams. ;-)

There is essentially very little wiring. If you were to use a normal inverter you would have to wire in a series and then if one is malfunctioning is impacts the others. If you will send me a private email I will be happy to send you some more information. The panels are mono made by SolarWorld (in the US) Sunmodule Plus SW 285 with Enphase M250-IG. Email: [email protected]

Net metering is essentially the meter running backwards when you are producing more than you are using. It is a little more complicated than that but in essence that's it.

Last edited by CaptOneIron; 05/25/15 02:16 PM.

Captain One Iron
Originally Posted by Shyboy
...Bear; my thought was exactly that: just slow down or reverse the meter... Looks like that won't work until BEL allows it...

Shy, I'm not immediately convinced thats the case. I'm not looking to reverse the meter simply provide another source of juice after the meter but before the main breaker. It may be that the surplus doesn't reverse the meter, but it may be that one is not using as much metered juice. I guess the question that remains is: Is such a hook up allowed, or do they even know or care? If they're being paid for metered use why would they? Don't answer that!! lol I know..its Belize...

Assuming you're putting a battery system in to provide power during an outage (as opposed to coming off grid entirely) you'll still be plugging in after the meter and before your main. The application I'm interested in seems to be a common application in CA. I have a friend who does solar installations all over the state. I'll give him a call and ask how this works rather than barrage Captone Iron with emails. Its easier to talk than type, well for me anyway. I also certainly appreciate Pagan(Dave)'s input, the information about importation duties was an eye-opener. I'll be looking into that as well.

All this is still subject to the base decision about such an investment like when my roof top is subject to hurricane force winds.

CaptOneIron, thanks I'll check those systems out and again thanks for the clarification on terminology. I've got your email and look forward to corresponding once I get some more background.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 166 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.