Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#504778 - 06/01/15 05:29 PM 5 Story Buildings to be allowed in certain areas
Marty Offline

For years, developers on Ambergris Caye were not allowed to construct buildings with more than four stories. But due to the increase in property value, Area Representative Manual Heredia Jr. has indicated that after serious discussions, the Government of Belize, through the Ministry of Housing and Urban Development, are allowing buildings to have as much as five floors. This is to allow developers to utilize their property to its maximum potential while allowing for landscaping.

A couple of existing developments across the island have already been approved to build five floors. In order to get approved, Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA) must be made to confirm that the area of the development can sustain the extra weight and to ensure that a solid foundation can be achieved. ďA couple of months ago, it was decided that in view of the rising property costs, developers were building in the full square footage of their property. They were not leaving any place for greenery, and we donít want this to happen because we want to continue promoting a natural ambiance. The change that has been made is not that significant. While we are allowing buildings to go up an extra floor, they still have to adhere to a set height that the building cannot exceed. The new regulation is only allowing for four feet more than the originally set height of 38 feet. Any building that goes up to five floors will have to have a flat roof,Ē said Heredia.

Currently, considerations for developers to build five floors are only being given in the far south and north of San Pedro Town. Heredia stated that there has been no discussion if whether five floor buildings will even be allowed within the town core.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun

#504780 - 06/01/15 06:23 PM Re: 5 Story Buildings to be allowed in certain areas [Re: Marty]
ScubaLdy Offline
and only a few years ago the height was limited to 3 floors. Amazing what can be changed

#504781 - 06/01/15 06:45 PM Re: 5 Story Buildings to be allowed in certain areas [Re: Marty]
Diane Campbell Offline
Five stories crammed into 42 feet sounds pretty tight. Interiors would have ceilings heights of about 7 feet 6 inches? Count me out.

#504787 - 06/01/15 09:47 PM Re: 5 Story Buildings to be allowed in certain areas [Re: Marty]
SFJeff Offline
I am going to seek permission to build a 16 story building. Given Heredia's logic that should not be a problem as long as I do not exceed the maximum allotted height!!!

The bad: each floor will have a finished ceiling height of approx. 2 1/2 feet, give or take a bit depending on the finish of the floor... I think I can make that work though with the right lighting and short down rods on ceiling fans. Cutting down on thin set too will save us a good 1/4 inch.

The good: on each stop of the elevator, the doors opening will give people access to 3 floors at a time. Convenient!!!

#504798 - 06/02/15 09:50 AM Re: 5 Story Buildings to be allowed in certain areas [Re: Marty]
elbert Offline
Will it have lights that twinkle like the jewel?

#504815 - 06/02/15 12:14 PM Re: 5 Story Buildings to be allowed in certain areas [Re: Marty]
Bear Offline
Auuugh....yeah take the undeveloped southern portion of the island and turn it into a burgeoning island version of Cancun/Las Vegas... coming soon to the North I'm sure (if not already)...ridiculous, bogus, and sad.

*Twinkle*....even under the circumstances I have to admit thats pretty humorous Elbert

#504833 - 06/03/15 02:18 AM Re: 5 Story Buildings to be allowed in certain areas [Re: Marty]
reaper Offline
Being John Malkovich High Rise!

#504850 - 06/03/15 01:34 PM Re: 5 Story Buildings to be allowed in certain areas [Re: Marty]
Wizardofaahs Offline
So, apparently this announcement comes on the heels of a building already being approved and supposedly presold! Anyone seen the actual plans to verify those ceiling heights?

https://realestateinbelize.net/property/...e=socialnetwork

The ad says only 4 units left. Preconstruction pricing. AND says they are built.

Who do we believe?

Edited by Wizardofaahs (06/03/15 01:37 PM)

#504851 - 06/03/15 02:19 PM Re: 5 Story Buildings to be allowed in certain areas [Re: Wizardofaahs]
Bear Offline
Originally Posted By Wizardofaahs
So, apparently this announcement comes on the heels of a building already being approved and supposedly presold!

There is one in the far south, it's largely built and yes largely presold...the 5th floor completion was waiting this announcement but the concrete preparations are ready to go...

Edited by Bear (06/04/15 01:51 AM)

#504855 - 06/03/15 04:18 PM Re: 5 Story Buildings to be allowed in certain areas [Re: Marty]
ScubaLdy Offline
I saw a post showing a 6 story building - ugliest thing I've ever seen. What does Heridea have to do with approving building height?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 29 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,006 Topics
462,169 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.