Across the regional football community much has been said about the illustrious careers of star striker Deon McCauley and goalkeeper Woodrow West.  McCauley presently holds a record, along with six others, for the most goals scored at this stage of the 2018 World Cup Qualifiers.  West’s achievements on the pitch have also not gone unnoticed. While the Belizean standouts have been touted for their athleticism on the home front, a Honduran professional team is scouting the talents to play international football.  C.D. Honduras or Honduras Progresso, as the team is also known, currently plays in the Liga Nacional de Honduras and is looking to expand its roster by adding two of Belize’s finest.  It is a dream that, according to F.F.B. Executive Marlon Kuylen, every player aspires to have.  He told News Five that while the team is wooing both players, contracts are yet to be signed if the deals are favorable.

Isani Cayetano

“We understand that they are being scouted by a Honduran team.  Can you speak to us on what you know about this particular courtship, if I may?”

Marlon Kuylen

Marlon Kuylen, Senior Executive, F.F.B.

“Well, I know that Progresso, a Honduran professional club has been in contact with them.  As far as I know they have not come to any agreement as yet but yes they are being courted at this time.”

Isani Cayetano

“Should they agree and subsequently sign contracts with Progresso what does this mean for the present state of affairs going into either round three or the future of their participation with the national team?”

Marlon Kuylen

“Well it would mean that they would have to break camp at some point.  But as to participation with the national team, there is an agreement with FIFA and the clubs that whenever a national team plays an official match be it an official or a friendly, these players have to be released to go and play with their national teams.  So it would not affect them being a part of the national team, except that they would not be in camp as fully as we would like them to be. Some people might think that we should not encourage the players to leave but that’s every player’s dream, to play internationally and professionally.  So we would encourage them to.  We just want to dispel that, you know.”

Channel 5