Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#505315 - 06/18/15 11:34 AM 3 Players Being Investigated by CONCACAF
Marty Offline

For the first time in Belize’s storied football past, three players are under investigation by CONCACAF and UNCAF for match-fixing. The incredible allegation comes in the wake of a playoff match between B.D.F. and Verdes on April twenty-ninth, in which Verdes was victorious by a score of six to nil. Even more incredible is the fact that the accusation is being made by B.D.F. coach and current Jaguars Assistant Coach Charles Slusher. In a letter to the F.F.B. dated April thirtieth, Slusher asks the Federation to investigate, stating, “I suspect and believe that there were some players of the B.D.F. Football Club who were directly involved in match-fixing during the game. I can only suspect that some other players were involved, but specifically these three players stand out because of their actions before, during and after the game.” Today, F.F.B. President Ruperto Vicente told News Five that it is a matter that the Federation is taking seriously, and so is CONCACAF.

Ruperto Vicente

Ruperto Vicente, President, Football Federation of Belize

“There was an allegation made and as a result when we got the complaint we sent the letter to the Integrity Officer named by CONCACAF because the F.F.B. cannot. We as the federation cannot investigate that. So someone who is independent of the Federation has to be the one doing the investigation.”

Mike Rudon

“Is an allegation of this of concern to the F.F.B.?”

Ruperto Vicente

“Certainly, because there are serious implications! Players can be suspended, clubs can be suspended, officials of the team can be suspended in this case if proven that the allegation was true.”

Mike Rudon

“I asked you earlier about the protocol. Is there any action which is taken before the investigation is complete as regards these three players?”

Ruperto Vicente

“Not really. Because there is no concrete evidence we cannot take any action, or any action immediately. So we will have to wait for the investigator to complete the investigation and then when that is submitted, UNCAF and CONCACAF are satisfied that something was done, then the Federation will be asked to take action.”

Mike Rudon

“Have you been given any indication of how the investigation is progressing at this point?”

Ruperto Vicente

“Not at all! We cannot interfere in that investigation. As executives of the Federation we cannot, and that’s the reason CONCACAF appointed someone who should not be attached and cannot be attached to the Federation so that kind of investigation can be done.”

The Integrity Officer, Elmer Torres, will report his findings directly to CONCACAF and UNCAF. Those bodies will then make recommendations to the F.F.B., which will be responsible for taking any further actions.

Channel 5

#505342 - 06/19/15 10:19 AM Re: 3 Players Being Investigated by CONCACAF [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Assistant Coach Believes Football Match was Fixed

Charlie Slusher

Three football players are being investigating by CONCACAF and UNCAF for allegedly match-fixing. The complaint suggests that the game played by the Verdes and BDF FC on April 29 of this year was fixed by the three players. That complaint was made by the Assistant Head Coach for FFB, Charlie Slusher, who told Love News that it is something, that until this day, he does not regret doing.

CHARLIE SLUSHER

“You know it’s really sad that I am the one being persecuted for trying to make a difference. It would have been sad for me to believe that the match fixing actually happened and I knew about it and I turned a blind eye to it, its’ regrettable for the way I am being treated for reporting something that I believe occurred, if it didn’t occur, it didn’t.”

HIPOLITO NOVELO

“What sort of proof do you have other than your observations?”

CHARLIE SLUSHER

“Well, this is what I’m saying. I thought something happened in the game so my letter was simply asking the relevant authorities to look into it for me so maybe they can find the proof, look at the tape, look at what happened and if you find the proof for me then that is all I was asking. I never said that I saw that you did it, I said I suspect something happened in the game and maybe from what I saw I thought you played a part in it. I’m simply asking the authorities to look into it so that if it did happen that it does not happen again in the league. I think as a coach I know my team and I was just simply trying to get some clarity and I think the entire country and the people that were following football would have wanted to find out exactly what happened also in the game so like I’m saying I’m just asking the authority to look into it that is all I was doing.”

HIPOLITO NOVELO

“How would you respond to the criticism now that you lost the game and you became a sore loser and now you’re trying to wreak havoc on the winning team or you’re making drama out of it?”

CHARLIE SLUSHER

“No no. I am not a sore loser, losing is a part of winning. I have lost many things and I have always continued working hard and if you don’t lose you cannot get better but it was not about a sore loser. I could have lost the game it didn’t matter but it was the manner in which the game was lost. If we had given our all and we lost without match fixing.”

HIPOLITO NOVELO

“Do you regret lodging the complaint?”

CHARLIE SLUSHER

“It is sad. I would want to say that the only reason I regret in the sense that I am being persecuted and being made to look like I’m the bad guy for trying to do something about those type of things happening in Belizean football. That should have never happened. I am the one that made the report, I am the one that asked the relevant authorities to look at it. I would say Charlie Slusher cannot regret trying to do the right thing for football so when it comes to that I would never say that I regret trying to make a difference or trying to correct something if it happened illegally in front of my face I think I would more regret not doing anything than trying to do something.”

President of the Football Federation of Belize, Ruperto Vicente, told us today that if the allegations if found to be true, the players can suffer serious repercussions.

RUPERTO VICENTERuperto Vicente FFB

“There was a complaint made and we are treating it as a complaint and so because of the nature of the complaint which we term as match fixing; match fixing is serious thing in CONCACAF and FIFA and so because that complaint was made the federation is now obligated to start an investigation. So what happens is that because we have recommended someone to CONCACAF to be trained as what we call integrity officer for Belize CONCACAF trains that person and that person becomes a CONCACAF official in Belize so we had to pass that complaint onto that individual and the person begins the investigation. Once the investigation is completed he then sends us a report and he sends CONCACAF a report and recommendations are made on what steps to make but that report is not yet complete and so we can’t take any action until we have been advised.”

HIPOLITO NOVELO

“When was the complaint made?”

RUPERTO VICENTE

“The complaint was made at the beginning of May.”

HIPOLITO NOVELO

“What are some of the repercussions you’d expect if the complaint is true?”

RUPERTO VICENTE

“If the complaint is found to be true then there are serious repercussions. One, is that those that are found to be guilty or to be found a part of it can be suspended from football for life.”

Vicente says that the investigation can take years.

LOVEFM

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,675 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,060 Topics
462,316 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.