The news will be a bit brief for the next week or so due to time constraints

FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Leaked audio recording of Melvin Hulse makes serious accusations against PM Barrow
There is tension within the United Democratic Party (UDP) as a leaked audio recording alleges that Prime Minister of Belize, Honorable Dean Barrow paid monies to a People’s United Party (PUP) representative to sabotage the election process. The recording came from a conversation with UDP Standard Bearer for Stann Creek West, Melvin Hulse. Among the […]

San Pedro Lobster Fest 2015: So many tasty choices!
The 9th annual San Pedro Lobster Festival has come and gone, and in its wake trail plenty of memories for residents and visitors alike. The festivities began on June 14th with the official “Meat and Greet” at El Divino, kicking off the week-long Lobster Crawl. Businesses throughout the island were packed to the gills with […]

Introducing the Caye Caulker Miss Lobster Fest Contestants
It is lobster festival season, and all is ready for the 21st Annual Caye Caulker Lobster Fest! The original crustacean Festival will be held from Friday, June 26th to Sunday, June 27th. The long waited event kicks off with the Miss Lobster Fest 2015-2016 Pageant. The highlight of the festival, the Miss Lobster Fest pageant […]

Guest Editorial: Commentary on Caye Caulker Police Brutality
The San Pedro Sun was impressed by the following words shared on Facebook by Woman Police Officer Shanique Roca. We wanted to share her heartfelt thoughts on the situation in Caye Caulker, over the death of Hilberto Sotz. Her empathy and honesty truly struck a chord. – By WPC Shanique Roca I woke up […]

Importance and Ease of Blood Donation
Submitted by the San Pedro Belize Red Cross By helping ensure that blood is available whenever members of the Ambergris Caye community or visitors require medical attention, your blood donation may one day save a life. The San Pedro Belize Red Cross (SPBRC) has been working with the Belize Blood Bank and medical professionals of […]

Ocean Academy celebrates 7th Annual Scholarship Awards Ceremony
On Saturday, June 13th, Caye Caulker’s Ocean Academy held its 7th Annual Scholarship Awards Ceremony, where five youth were honored. The awards ranged in a wide category, from curricular excellence to community involvement. An addition five students were also recognized during the ceremony for obtaining Full Basket Belize scholarships of $1,000. Mistress of Ceremonies, Anissa […]

Australian Rugby Player Ed Stubbs visits the San Pedro Turtles
26-year-old professional rugby player from Australia, Ed Stubbs met up with Rugby Belize founder, Tony Gillings while vacationing in San Pedro Town. Stubbs recently took a leave from his rugby career to recover from injuries and embarked on a tour of Central America. After learning about Rugby Belize and getting in contact with Gillings through […]

Taking a bite at Big Bite
Finding a place to grab a quick bite when on the go can easily turn into a huge hassle if you’re not too familiar with the area. My trips to Belize City have always been pretty basic, usually just to get in, get what I need and get out, so I’m still somewhat feeling my way around when I take trips over. Yesterday I found myself in the city for a quick trip to run a few errands, but man was hunger knocking at my door! I wasn’t starving so I decided to just grab something quick. But where from? I didn’t want anything too pricey or that would take too long, as I had a bit of time to spare but not too much. When I stumbled across Big Bite, man, was I happy! I was strolling along the block on Barrack Road and a sign that read Jamaican Patties and Sexy Chicken (haha) caught my eye. As I got closer I was surprised to see just how airy and modern the place looked; this definitely drew me in! I walked in at the peak of lunch hour and by the size of the crowd, their simple menu seemed to be working: Jamaican Patties (chicken, spicy chicken, beef, spicy beef and veggie) and Rotisserie chicken.

Ambergris Today

San Pedro Holiday Hotel Celebrates 50th Anniversary
On behalf of the community of San Pedro and on behalf of all stakeholders in the tourism industry, Ambergris Today takes great pleasure and honor to say “Congratulations to Holiday Hotel that is celebrating its 50th Anniversary. It seems very easy to say fifty years, but it is not that simple. If you ask Celi McCorkle it is fifty years of commitment, passion, hard work and vision. It was back in 1965 that Celi Nuñez recently married to John Greif had the vision to introduce the very first hotel to the island and Holiday Hotel was born. Celi built a fairly large wood building with several well ventilated rooms and sought to sell to the American travelers ocean view rooms with ventilation from the Caribbean Sea. This idea hit like wild fire and soon thereafter word spread that there was a comfortable, affordable and very friendly place in paradise owned, managed and operated by Celi herself.

A Glimpse of Central Park in the 60’s
There are several points of interest in this Flashback. First of all we see the San Pedro Roman Catholic Church at exactly the same location it is today except that the length of the wood building ran from Barrier Reef Drive to the beach. Notice the large expanse of land that existed from the church yard to the beach. Then notice the large piece of land in front of the church. This used to be a playground where boys and girls played baseball and football at times. Also notice the large wooden vat or water reservoir beside the church. This was so because annexed to the church right behind it was another large building that used to serve as the home of the nuns and the priests when they took their summer vacations in San Pedro. On the left side of the picture is the front part of the famous Blake House which became Barrier Reef Hotel, and now The Alliance Bank. On the extreme right of the picture you see part of the famous Daddy’s Club which was a bar and a dance hall. Finally you might ask, why such a large crowd following the bride and the groom, Ovidio Guerero and Elia Aguilar? Well a wedding was not a common occurrence in San Pedro Village in the 1950’s and 60’s- perhaps one or two per year. That is why the entire village was out for the celebration with or without invitation.

Miss Caye Caulker Lobster Fest Pageant to Kick off Festivities on Island
Kicking off the 21st Annual Caye Caulker Lobster Fest taking place this weekend at La Isla Cariñosa is the Miss Caye Caulker Lobster Fest Pageant with four contestants vying for the coveted crown. It all starts on Friday, June 26, 2015. Highlighting the Color Explosion part of the island’s Lobster Fest, the pageant promises to be an explosion of color, music and festivities. The Caye Caulker Lobster Fest Pageant Committee is pleased to present the delegates for this year’s Miss Lobster Fest 2015 pageant: Leah Canto, Aricelli Cadle, Shayenn Magana, Alessa Madrill.

Elvi’s Kitchen Tops Lobsterfest with Best Dish
It was another successful Lobsterfest in San Pedro full of great food, drinks and entertainment. The culmination of the week-long celebration took place on Saturday, June 20, 2015, as restaurants decorated the block party with their festive booths that had people from all over rushing to get that delicious lobster dish. The aroma of great food was in the air luring many to this year’s Lobsterfest. It was definitely the place to find the best lobster dishes from the best restaurants in town like Elvi’s Kitchen, Caliente, Pirate’s Treasure, Casa Picasso, Di Vu, Pineapples, Rendezvous, Estel’s Dine By the Sea, Pedro’s Pizza and Amber Beach Bar & Grill. It was indeed a very challenging and yummy task for the judges in choosing this year’s winner of the Lobsterfest food and drink competition. There were a lot of creative dishes as well as drinks that definitely got everybody’s taste buds on cloud nine.

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

On Caye Caulker
A young woman was choked till she passed out and raped by two men Friday night-Saturday morning, after exiting West Bay Beach Club on Caye Caulker. If anyone knows or hears anything about it, pls contact me and/or police info@belize-trips.com Women have to be aware, especially in the lee morning hours at these clubs, which attract a rough crowd. Could have been worse and every reason to find and nail the scum who attacked her

Caye Caulker Music Summer Camp
The best in percussion camp, have fun and learn how to play the most variety music family

FFB Grassroots Program
Councilor Hector "Tito" Alamilla, the Football Federation of Belize and the San Pedro Sports Council hosted the Grassroots Program from Wednesday (June 17) to Saturday (June 20) where a total of 73 kids participated. With the help of 5 coaches, the kids were able to learn various techniques and maneuvers of the sport. The kids were really excited to learn these new tricks and were more than ecstatic to be a part of the Grassroots program.

Power interruption 5:00am to 7:00am, Sunday, June 28: entire San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye.
BEL to replace protective device for transformer at Maskall Substation.

Fountain of Knowledge Scholarship
The National Tsing Hua University and Sacred Heart Junior College are collaborating on the Fountain of Knowledge Scholarship. The scholarship is open to any primary school graduates from the 13 Cayo schools that NTHU student groups have worked with over the years. The list, along with directions on how to apply, can be found at: http://goo.gl/ojhf4D. The deadline for applications is July 15th. If you have questions, you can email them at nthubelizegroup@gmail.com.

Oceana's Macal River Cleanup
Oceana celebrated World Oceans Day all over Belize. In Cayo they did a river cleanup along the banks of the Macal River. Thanks, wavemakers! "Across the country Oceana Belize celebrated World Oceans Day under the theme 'Healthy Oceans, Healthy Planet'. Ocean Belize Field Representatives and wavemakers splashed and made waves by doing beach and river clean ups across the country. "

Howler Monkey Release
They captured the release of 4 of the younger Howler monkeys at Wildtracks. "The moment of the Teens release has been caught on video by several people...the moment when Molly opened the release cage door and Sam, Peanuts, Pebbles and Polly climbed to freedom. This is for you - all those who have worked with these monkeys during their time at Wildtracks. They are now FREE!

BTB Tourism Scholarships
The Belize Tourism Board is offering scholarships for the upcoming Fall 2015 semester. If you are interested, you have until July 10th to apply. "The BTB is offering scholarship opportunities to interested applicants for Tourism Programs commencing August 2015 for Full-time Students!"

Foam n Colors Fete
The Foam n Colors Fete at the new Playa del Cayo is this Saturday. Playa del Cayo is the inland beach party spot, so the festivities start at 1:00pm, and go until 9:00, and then the party moves to the Princess. Looks like there will be some good trance music - the Raging Masters will be there - and no talking. "The tickets for this event are 10$ promotional price!! Beach party from 1pm to 9pm. Foam Machine And color powder After party is at Princess Casinó San Ignacio Note: Everyone who enters the beach party gets a discount to enter the after party!! After party is from 10pm to 4am"

Channel 7

PM Says "Outrageous"; Mayans Say Justifiable
Last night, we told you how the Mayan villagers of Santa Cruz detained Creole Belizean Rupert Myles and tried to force him out whilst armed with machetes. The Prime Minister condemned their actions as outrageous, and indefensible. Here's what he had to say: Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister "What I have seen, it is outrageous. I believe somebody sent me an attempted defense by the Mayans. That is indefensible for them to do something like this... they talk about their rights, what about that man's human rights? What about his rights as a Belizean? I don't know how on earth they can ever justify this. In my view they've lost whatever moral high ground they ever had and I want to look carefully at it to see if any of them might not perhaps be criminally liable from what they did to that gentleman. Tying up this man, falsely imprison him, physically assaulting him - that is absolutely intolerable and I am telling you, I mean to find out from the appropriate authorities what if anything they mean to do about it." Well, that has stirred the leadership of the Mayan community to fire back. This afternoon, the Maya Leaders Alliance released a statement to restate that Santa Cruz did what it did as a last resort, and only after months of trying with Miles. They say that he destroyed a portion of the Uxbenka Archaeological Site in Santa Cruz Village. The statement says, quote, "…The laws of Belize prohibit building on or damaging any archaeological site…Further, Maya people have lived and worked with many non-Mayas and recognize and appreciate their contributions in the villages. Maya customary law is part of Belizean law and exists to protect the communities." End quote

Teenager Shot to Head in Gang War
Today a second form classroom at Canaan SDA High School in Belize City had an empty desk and chair because student 15 year old Tyrique Thompson was in the hospital, he had been shot in the head. It happened last night in a gang affiliated neighborhood - where the boy's family feel he was shot just so that a rival gang could send a message. Monica Bodden has the story: Monica Bodden reporting 15 year old Tyrique Thompson is holding on to life at the KHMH after he was shot in the head. The student was only a block away from his home - when the gunman approached him from behind and fired a single shot. It happened here on Lakeview Street just after 8 last night. This is an area known for an escalating feud between two gangs who are only separated by a single bridge. And while the community is scared to speak out, they believe the teenage boy was not the intended target -instead it was a message for the neighborhood he resides.

Charged For Stabbing Murder
Last night, we told you how 45 year-old Carrington Bodden was stabbed to death on Sunday. Well, the man who police believe was his assailant is 36 year-old undertaker Sanjay Pilgrim, and tonight he's at the Belize Central Prison. Pilgrim was arraigned today, when he appeared today before the Chief Magistrate, Anne Marie Smith. Pilgrim was remanded into custody until July 31. The incident occurred on Sunday, June 21, at a Barbeque and social gathering which was part of a Father's Day celebration at the corner of Kelly Street and Freetown Road. According to reports, Pilgrim and Bodden, two friends, had a misunderstanding which led to a fight and during the fight Bodden was stabbed to his chest.

Melvin Hulse Apologizes, Says UDP Recorded Him
UDP Candidate for Stann Creek West Melvin Hulse - by now, you've probably heard snippets of what he said in a 12 minute recording that being circulated by the PUP. Here's a small excerpt of the parts that aren't libelous:.. Melvin Hulse "But Dean is trying to push it. He didn't even consult. Papa doesn't run in nothing. Dean is dictating. It's he who sets the time. He is calling it right away. Patrick, Audrey, all of them are running things. Spending over 2 million on a bi election gets you nowhere. It doesn't achieve anything, because you call elections in 3 months everybody and to go right back again." "I've noticed that in my lifetime. You don't cut off your nose to spite your face. It's not always the time to go and... what you have to prove, but you could win a bi election if you have more money? I disagree when he did it with Omar. Why are you spending good money? You aren't helping the UDP." "The only, only thing important to Dean Barrow is for him to go down in the history book as the only Prime Minister to win 3 terms back to back. That is the only thing important to him. Not loyalty to friends our country or anything. He wants to be in the history books as the only person to ever win 3 times back to back. Because he's beginning to sound more and more arrogant. It is beginning to sound... it making it sound they can't stop me, we are unstoppable. You don't tell people that."

Two Charged For Chopping
Last night we told you about the vicious chopping of a Mexican student in Steadfast village. Ivan Turrijo was staying in the village doing research at the Billy Barquiedier National Park when he was attacked and robbed on Saturday. Two men robbed Turrijo of his laptop, cell phone and tablet. But, the two robbers took it further and chopped him twice to the back of his head, his shoulder and nearly maimed him - by almost severing his forefinger. As we told you last night he was transferred to the KHMH but he was discharged today. Police believe that Turrijo might have left the country for further medical treatment. In terms of the case, the two men - both Steadfast villagers - have been charged with robbery. They are 20 year old Miguel Cho and 25 year old Ryan Skeen. Police recovered all stolen items last night. Both men may also be charged with wounding and maim.

The Man Called BET Charged
6 days ago, we told you about the shooting in Lords Bank village which 28 year-old Jorge Lozano was shot. Well, police have arrested Brandon Tillett, better known as "BET", who is reputed to be connected to the George Street Gang. Tillett, was arraigned today before Chief Magistrate Ann Marie Smith on the offences of attempted murder, dangerous harm, and use of deadly means of harm. He couldn't be offered any bail, and so he was remanded into custody until July 31. According to police, Lozano reported to the police that he was at home at 151 Lord's Bank village with his girlfriend and her family, when he heard a knock on the front door. He said when he went to open the door he saw Brandon Tillett and another man with what appeared to be 9 millimeter pistols in their hands.

A Jury Deliberates
Tonight, A jury 12 is deliberating in the court of Justice John Gonzalez to see if it can reach a verdict for Daniel Myvett, charged with the murder of Nigerian Security guard Kimaru Olungandudu. The security guard was stabbed 8 times on February 14, 2010, during an attempted robbery at the Biltmore Plaza Hotel. As we told you, the two other persons, Talbert Mena and Jamal Jackson, who were charged along with Myvett, were acquitted of the charge after their attorneys, Simeon Sampson and Alifa Elrington, submitted that they did not have a case to answer. The chief witness for the prosecution was Kareem Stevens who was initially charged with the security guard's murder but had agreed to testify for the Crown in exchange for immunity from prosecution.

Huge Cigarette Seizure Not Far From Border
Mexican Authorities have seized a huge cargo of illegal cigarettes - and it happened not far from the Belize Mexico border. The Mexican law enforcement received an anonymous tip and with the strength of a search warrant, they visited the town of Huay-Pix in the municipality of Othon P. Blanco. That's a few miles north of the Belize/Mexico Border - and about 10 miles out of Chetumal. According to reports, they searched a building and found 10 vehicles loaded with boxes of cigarettes. The law enforcement team searched the vehicles and found 3,342 boxes, and when they counted up all the packs, inside each box, the total amount was just over 33 million individual cigarettes.

Deon, The Difference Maker
Last night, we showed you an excerpt of our interview with Belize's premier striker Deon McCaulay in which he discussed why the offer to play football in Honduras isn't what he's looking for at this point in his career. In his conversation with football commentator Freddy Cantiliano about what made the difference in the way Team Belize played with in Round 2 as compared to their performance in Round 1. McCaulay made no apologies in noting that his presence was a huge factor: Reporter "What did Deon do to the National Team? Because we saw a different National Team after you came to team. What type of thing you would say Deon brought into this National Selection?" Deon McCaulay "Well, Deon brought goals, Deon brought composer, and Deon brought his ability to play at a high level. That's what's lacking in most teams. If you can't score goals you can't win games."

Lobster Cheesecake And More At San Pedro Lobsterfest
How many ways can you think of to prepare Lobster? Most people immediately think of the traditional grilled or stewed lobster, but have you ever heard of Lobster cheesecake? Well the chefs in san Pedro have! For them, invention and presentation makes the lobster a platform for boundless creations. They put on that show for the Lobster Fest - Our 7News team was there on Saturday for this years festival, and Daniel Ortiz reports: Elvi's Kitchen was the winner for the lobster cuisine.

San Pedro Hotelier Courting Controversy With Gay Guests
And keeping it on San Pedro, we go back our interview with San Pedro Resort owner, Peter Lawrence. He's wants to throw a decadent gay pride event at his resort in September, something his PR team is promoting as the biggest gay pride event in Belizean history. He's thinking about all the business he can attract, but what about the social consequences of his event? Is he ready to become the next flashpoint for the culture war on sexuality? He said he welcomes any conversation with his critics: Peter Lawrence - Owner, Caribbean Villas Hotel "We're arranging a meeting with an American pastor, who is complaining bitterly in one of the National newspapers and ill quite happily meet him and the Catholic Church and I'm Catholic and spent several years in the monastery. Admittedly at school but it was a boarding school and I'm quite happy. In the monastery they had a thing of 'live and let live' and I think it's just any church - they want to talk to me and I'm quite happy and hopefully we'll have a meeting in Belize City in 2 weeks."

Can You say "Cacao" In French?
Cacao is a cash crop and critical export for producing countries. So it is big news to report on Belize's first ever commercial cacao export to France. PG-based cacao producer and exporter Maya Mountain Cacao Ltd. on Monday exported 12.5 metric tonnes of dried, fermented cacao beans to French chocolate maker Valrhona in France. IT'S the first time Belizean cacao has been shipped to France for commercial chocolate production. Valrhona, founded in 1922- is one of the world's most famous chocolate makers. A PRESS RELEASE SAYS THEY ARE SEEKING Belize's rare and uniquely-flavored cacao beans. Monday's export is from the Xibun River Estate formerly known as the -Hummingbird Hershey Plantation.

Art With A Purpose
And while that cacao is organic - students have also been encouraged to think about earth friendly solutions in a garbage recycling competition. After a few weeks of preparation, the Department of the Environment chose their winning art piece from the entries countrywide. We got a chance to speak with the winners today about how they did it: The first prize winners got $1,000 cash, while second place got $750. Third place received $500. The only winner we didn't get a chance to speak was Wilbert Barrera, a student of Our Lady of Guadeloupe RC in Belmopan.

Let Me See You Do The Yoga
Yoga: it's usually done in the comfort of one's home or a sacred solitary space. But according to yoga masters, it can also be a communal healing exercise: That was the main idea behind the 1st ever International Day of Yoga. It was observed all over the world on Sunday, June 21st - and in Belize it was held in the King's Room at the Princess Hotel. Over 300 people from across the country including Punta Gorda, Corozal and Caye Caulker attended on Sunday. The event began at 8 in the morning and concluded at 10 am. The participants did a series of breathing exercises and relaxation techniques. The theme of the event was Harmony and Peace. Belize joined over 177 other countries in celebrating The International Day of Yoga.

Channel 5

Santa Cruz Villagers Meet With Maya Leaders Alliance Post Rupert Myles Incident
There is public outrage over an incident that took place in Santa Cruz, Toledo on Saturday afternoon. A Creole man, Rupert Myles was detained by a group of Maya residents [...]

Maya Community Appalled at PM Barrow’s Comments on Myles’ Detention
This afternoon in Santa Cruz, dozens of villagers were attempting to determine the possible outcome of this volatile situation.  While residents maintain that the buildup, as well as the resultant [...]

Flippin Bashes Gapi Vega, More From Explosive Recorded Conversation
On Monday night we brought you pieces of an explosive recording in which senior UDP insider and former Minister Melvin Hulse lashes out at Prime Minister Dean Barrow. Allegations made [...]

How Big is the PM’s Ego? Melvin Hulse Says It’s All About Money
The media has elected to not repeat specific allegations against the PM in the Hulse recording, but today the social media lit up bright all day long, gag order or [...]

PUP Believes Its Former Area Reps Caved Into Petrocaribe Dollars
While the P.U.P. leader and others in the opposition have had their say on the Melvin Hulse recordings, the Party also issued a statement today. The PUP says the Hulse [...]

Do you now believe that parliamentarians are being paid off to step down?
And our question for tonight is: Do you now believe that parliamentarians are being paid off to step down? Yes or No? Send your comments and responses using your SMART [...]

15-year-old High School Student Shot While Walking on Lakeview Street
A fifteen year old student is hospitalized in a critical condition but stable condition. Shortly before nine on Monday night, the second form student of Caanan High School was walking [...]

Sanjay Pilgrim Arraigned for Murder of Undertaker
Tonight, thirty six year old undertaker, Sanjay Pilgrim of Belize City is on remand for the murder of his friend, forty-four year old Carrington Bodden, who was fatally stabbed once [...]

Tour Guides Acquitted of Attempting to Bribe Top Cop Edward Broaster
On March twenty-second, 2014, Senior Superintendent of Police, Edward Broaster, accused two men who were visiting Caye Caulker of trying to bribe him so that no charges be levied against [...]

Julius Espat Reiterates Position on Use of Petrocaribe Funds, “It’s Wrong”
The debate on the use of Petrocaribe monies continues to rage on in the political arena. For the UDP, which has composed songs to that entity, it is a good [...]

Will the PUP Have a Stronger Presence in Dangriga Going into Bye-elections?
In January, the UDP registered a blow-out victory in bye-elections held in the Cayo North constituency. In that political event, the PUP was almost a no-show in terms of presence [...]

PM Comments on EU Blacklisting Belize’s Offshore Sector
Last week Belize was blacklisted by the European Union, along with thirty other countries. The European Union claims that Belize is a tax haven for companies which are seeking to [...]

Workshop for Women and Entrepreneurship
What is it like for women who are in business or thinking of starting a business in Belize? Well, like other women across the world, the playing field isn’t leveled. [...]

Summer Camp Season Begins!
An annual summer school program organized by Peter Lacey is set to commence in the weeks ahead.  The brief curriculum is in its twelfth year and while thousands of primary [...]

VIP Nominate Stanislaus Martinez for Dangriga Bye-elections
On Monday we showed you the nomination day event, both theatrics and procedure, for both political mass parties. But there was another candidate who was refused. At around midday Monday, [...]

Liberty Children’s Home Spruced Up Thanks to British High Commission
Liberty Children’s Home in Ladyville got some much needed assistance today from their British friends. For years, the British High Commission and partners have been giving back to the Children’s [...]

CTV3

PM Borrow says Alcalde Acted Out Of Order In Toledo
Another burning issue brought up was the illegal detention of Toledo Resident Rupert Miles on Sunday. As reported, Miles, a Belizean of Garifuna descent was allegedly evicted from the Santa Cruz Village in Toledo for apparently no reason at all, except the color of his skin. Myles, who was living with a Mayan woman in Santa Cruz Village was handcuffed, tied with rope and then taken to his house by the leaders of the village who received support from the Mayan Leaders Alliance. During this ordeal, Myles was reportedly called “black man” and “Kerob” by his aggressors, the Mayans, who have denied that the situation had anything to do with race or skin color. And while there are still varying accounts circulating in the media, from what the Prime Minister has gathered, he is not too happy with the Alcalde or the Mayas of the village for what he cites as “wrongfully detaining” this Belizean. Here is that exchange with the media… "What I have seen, it is outrageous. I believe somebody sent me an attempted defense by the Mayans. That is indefensible. These people, they, I think were pretty much well-positioned in terms of public opinion. I believe they've lost that completely now with this sort of an action. Well they should. I mean, it is absolutely indefensible. I want to make clear to them again that, that consent judgement merely recognizes that they are entitled to certain rights. The nature of the rights is not spelled out. We have agreed we will set up some sort of a commission. We will hear from everybody - all parties in Toledo and elsewhere before we can come to a decision as to what their rights ought to be. In the meantime, for them to do something like this... they talk about their rights, what about that man's human rights? What about his rights as a Belizean? I don't know how on earth they can ever justify this. In my view they've lost whatever moral high ground they ever had and I want to look carefully at it to see if any of them might not perhaps be criminally liable from what they did to that gentleman."

McCauley Not Satisfied With Contract Offered By Honduras Progresso
Super Striker Deon McCaulay has played in Belize for Kremandala, FC Belize and Belize Defence Force and also played for Belmopan Bandits in the Premier League of Belize. He also was given the opportunity to try out with Puntarenas in Costa Rica; but after playing a pivotal role in the outcome of Round two of the FIFA World Cup Qualifiers, his performance has captured the attention of the international community. Honduran semiprofessional team, El Progresso, has been the first football club to approach McCaulay with a contract. Yesterday he spoke with our colleagues at Channel Seven and commented on the offer made to him which from all indications is not to his satisfaction. "I sat down and talked to the people on Friday. It was a nice opportunity I think, but like I told the person, the manager for the team 'Honduras Progresso', I was playing in Honduras 5 years ago. I think that there isn't a drastic change in the way how they do things. I told them 'you can't go to another country and get a player with 20 international goals with that type of money, that's impossible. Just because we're Belizeans, we want to settle and say we're going to play professional'. I'm not saying that the opportunity isn't good, but I think for me right now in my career, I'm getting to a point where I want to see better. I want to go to another level, I want to be comfortable because now I have to think about my future and my retirement goals. I want to be on a team where I can say 'okay I can save and uplift myself'. I'm not saying that it's not a good opportunity."

Mexico And Belize Business Owners Meet To Promote Tourism In Both Countries
The economy growth of our country depends on many factors, most of the time these factors are overlooked and taken for granted, and our country remains to rely on an external assistance. While many here at home are yet to realize the profit that our jewel could generate, our Mexican neighbors see potential. Proof of that statement is a meeting that will be held on Monday June 29th in Villahermosa, Tabasco between business owners, including travel, agencies of Chetumal and Belize. The purpose of the reunion will be to offer tour packages which will not only include packages at preferential rates but also tourist attractions in the southern part of Quintana Roo and in the Belizean coast. The president of the Camara Nacional de Comercio in Chetumal, Ligia Sierra Aguilar, reported that at least six Belize entrepreneurs, hotels and tourist services will join in the caravan of companies for the reunion.

Mexican Exhibits Opens At House Of Culture
The People of my Mayan Village” is the title of the exhibit presently on display at the Banquitas House of Culture. The exhibit is made possible through collaboration among the Embassy of Mexico and the National Institute of Culture and History, NICH and the Banquitas House of Culture. The artist is Hipolito Uicab Garcia of Yaxkukul, a village twenty-six kilometers north east of Merida, Mexico. The meaning of the name Yaxkukul is green feather or new feather. Coordinator at the Banquitas House of Culture Cindy Rivero says that through the exhibit, the artist aims at showcasing his hometown in Mexico. “The exhibition was officially opened this past Friday and it is a really nice collection of paintings from Mr Garcia, he is from Mexico and we are collaborating with the Mexican Embassy and we brought these 18 pieces for the public of Orange Walk to see we relate to this exhibition as it is about the people of the Mayan village and through the eyes of the painter we get to see the life of his people in Mexico and as Mestizos and as Mayas we could see this painting and see that we couls identify with many of the paintings that were here.”

Melvin Hulse Flip Flop, He Apologizes To PM
After lashing out at the Prime Minister of Belize during a conversation held with a person still unknown and being recorded, Melvin Hulse took the threats of the Prime Minister serious and apologized immedietly. He, without a doubt flip-flopped as one minute he was making damminig accusation against the Honorable Dean Barrow and his government and the next he was practically begging for forgiveness. But that’s probably because he knew the wrath of the P.M would come down upon him with no questions asked. In the recording, Hulse, who is the U.D.P Standard Bearer for the Stann Creek West constituency and also a former U.D.P. Minister speaks about the unnecessary spending of hundreds of thousands of dollars in order for the P.M to remain as Prime Minister and the excessive spending for bi-elections. Hulse’s remarks could see him being stripped of his position as Standard Bearer of the party or even booted out of the UDP. What the consequences will be is yet to be known but what we can tell you is that Hulse has asked for forgiveness. Here is what he told Love News last night.

PUP Tells PM To Show Petro Caribe Book
As previously mentioned, in the secret recording of UDP Stann Creek West Standard Bearer Melvin Hulse, he made startling revelations about his party and his party leader, Prime Minister Dean Barrow. Hulse spoke on Barrow’s greed for power and making history to what he calls disparaging political decisions in the July Bye-election in Dangriga. And while we cannot air the recording in its entirety due to its vilifying nature, today the People’s United Party Secretariat issued a release stating that Hulse confirmed their assertions that and we quote, “the UDP government has been corruptly using Petrocaribe funds to trigger resignations by members of the House of Representatives leading to buy-elections”, end quote. The PUP statement further explains that and we quote “This is precisely why the PUP has been against the Petrocaribe law that the UDP is hell-bent on enacting. The UDP government has been grossly abusing both the Petrocaribe money and the Finance and Audit Reform Act to perpetuate itself in power. Mr. Barrow is seeking, indirectly, to amend the Finance and Audit (Reform) Act not only to cover acts of criminality by his government but also in order to ensure that he can continue to spend the Petrocaribe funds anyway he likes, without oversight from anyone. This is a naked and obscene corruption, the more odious because of the attempt to give legislative backing to the abuse and illegality”, end quote.

Guatemala Has To Pay Damages Caused To Belize's Reef
About two weeks ago, we told you about a Guatemalan vessel that ran aground near Glovers Reef. Investigations revealed that there were two military vessels travelling from Puerto Barrios, Guatemala, en route to Isla Mujeres, Mexico, on a training exercise. They were in Belize’s territorial waters, which extends outward 12 miles from Glover’s Reef but authorities have confirmed that the vessel experienced mechanical problems causing them to drift at the location where they ran aground. And while the vessel has been removed, the Government, particularly the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, has assessed the damages caused and yesterday, the PM weighed in on the issue citing that they are preparing to send the damage bill to their Guatemalan counterparts…. “The people who were doing that assessment…I gave authorization for them to tell you. I think the damage is assessed at forty-six thousand dollars and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is therefore sending a note, but they want to send proper advice, legal advice as well, in terms of how you frame this because it is sovereign state to sovereign state. But the claim will go out now that the quantum of the damage done has been formalized.”

LOVE FM

‘Fireworks’ Expected in House Meeting on Friday
And while as an official news entity we cannot air the very scandalous and slanderous remarks Hulse made, there is no stopping you from listening to it on your own time. In this technology era, Hulse comments have gone viral on Youtube and Facebook. The Opposition, People’s United Party are using social media to their […]

Matura-Shepherd Says PM May Not Lose Anything Over Hulse’s Comments
According to attorney Audrey Matura-Shepherd, Prime Minister Dean Barrow, will have to prove to the court what of damages he has lost by way of the recording being published. AUDREY MATURA SHEPHERD “Now, reputation is a key issue when you want to prove slander or libel; it has to show that the person’s reputation has […]

Hulse’s Comments: Libel or Slander?
As soon as word got out that the Melvin Hulse recording was making the media rounds, Prime Minister Dean Barrow, acted quickly by sending out a press release in which he made it quite clear that quote, “no one should feel free to repeat Hulse’s libel just because it originated with a UDP candidate. Some […]

Mexican and Belizean Clowns Tour Belize
A group of clowns will begin their second tour in Belize beginning on Wednesday. It is a collaborative effort of Belize’s Ozzy the Clown and a group out of Mexico. Today Love news caught up with the group as they made a stop at St. Joseph Primary School. The shows are free of cost […]

Artists Arrive for Benefit Concert in Dangriga
The Seventh Day Adventist Church of Dangriga is organizing a spiritual concert for Friday night. The benefit concert is geared at helping the Ecumenical College to raise funds for the construction of a 4-classroom building. Jeremy Cayetano is the principal. Spearheading the organization and planning for the benefit concert is Pastor Ainslie Richards of […]

Leslie and Mahmud Seek Legal Advice on Hulse’s Revelations While Denying Statements
The People’s United Party has re-iterated its call for the repeal of the Petrocaribe Loans Act. The PUP says the Melvin Hulse recording confirms what the Party has known for the past seven months; that the Petrocaribe funds were used to trigger resignations by members of the House of Representatives leading to bi-elections. It says […]

Toledo Alcalde Association Disturbed by PM’s Remarks
The Toledo Alcalde Association has expressed their concern with comments made by Prime Minister Dean Barrow when addressing the Rupert Myles situation. In speaking with the media on Monday, Prime Minister Barrow said the consent judgement merely recognized that the Mayans are entitled to certain rights although the nature of the rights is not spelled […]

Atlantic Starr’s David Lewis in Belize for Benefit Concert
A former member of the group, Atlantic Starr and a former fashion model of the US arrived in Belize today for a benefit concert scheduled to take place on Friday night in Dangriga Town. The couple, David and Marian Lewis no longer works in the secular music and fashion industry and have chosen to establish […]

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Family members and Benque Viejo Police looks for Danny Marin Castellanos
Police in Benque Viejo and family members are today desperately asking the public’s assistance in locating 30 year old Danny Marin Castellanos who left home on Saturday morning and has not been heard of from since. Danny Castellanos, is a mechanic by trade, stands 6 feet tall, has […]

Eustace Hendy AKA “JACK BUDD” dies
Today, residents of Cayo are saddened and mourning the passing of former boxing champion Jack Budd, as he was affectionately known. Jack Budd was highly regarded in the boxing world and particularly popular in down Town San Ignacio. Jack made himself even more popular in December 2014 when […]

Villagers from Santa Familia in the Cayo District are up in arms due to lack of potable water
Residents of Santa Familia Village in the Cayo District are up in arms due to the lack of potable water in the village. Reports are that the villagers are fed up of the way the President of the Water Board Mr. Antolin Cano and Chairman of the village […]

High school student shot Monday night
Police have detained three persons pending investigation of a shooting incident in Belize City this morning. The victim is a 15 year old boy identified only as Tyreek. According to police he was walking on Lakeview Street in the direction of Vernon Street around 8:30 Monday night when […]

HMS Severn sailors call on Liberty Children’s Home
As part of the annual Tradewinds regional training exercise visiting Belize since last week, sailors from the Royal Navy River Class Offshore Patrol Vessel HMS Severn were giving back to the local community, specifically Liberty Children’s Home in Ladyville. The Liberty Children’s Home, tucked away in a quiet […]

Sanjay Pilgrim charged for Father’s Day murder
Thirty-six year old undertaker Sanjay Pilgrim was charged with the murder of 45 year old Carenton Bodden when he appeared today before the Chief Magistrate, Anne Marie Smith. The incident occurred on Sunday, June 21, at a Bar B Que which was part of a Father’s Day celebration […]

Jury deliberates faith of Daniel Myvett
A jury of 7 men and 5 women is deliberating in the court of Justice John Gonzalez to see if it can reach a verdict for Daniel Myvett, charged with the murder of Nigerian Security guard Kimaru Olangodudu. Olangodudu was stabbed about 8 times February 14, 2010, while […]

Tour guides charged with ‘Attempting to corrupt a public officer’
Two Tour Guides, Argyle Jex and Lewis Caal, charged with attempting to corrupt a public officer, namely Senior Superintendent Edward Broaster, were acquitted of the charge today by the Chief Magistrate, Anne Marie Smith. The incident occurred around 2:30 p.m. on march 22, 2014 at Caye Caulker. Jex […]

Brandon Tillett remanded into custody for attempt murder
Brandon Tillett, aka “BET”, was arraigned on a charge of attempted murder when he appeared today before the Chief Magistrate, Anne Marie Smith. Tillett was also charged with dangerous harm and use of deadly means of harm. He was remanded into custody until July 31. The police reported […]

UDP and PUP candidates nominated to contest in bi-elections
Yesterday in Dangriga, nominations were held to officially announce the candidates that will be contesting in the upcoming bye-elections. The candidate replaces the vacant PUP seat that Ivan Ramos left when he stepped down as Area Representative. After the PUP had already announced that it may not have placed any […]

Blogs

When to Visit Belize? A Comprehensive List of Holidays & Festivals in Belize
It feels like 2015 is FLYING by in a whirl wind of food and festivals. And rather than just continue to wing it…I thought I’d put together a comprehensive list because 1. I need to make sure I attend each and every one at least one time and 2. because you should too. Belize is a country of people that love to party and parade and party some more. For such a tiny place, you’ll find that this list of festivals is quite an extensive one.

Videos

• Dive Belize, 3min.

• Snorkeling with Blackhawk Sailing Tours, Caye Caulker, Belize, 8min.

• Belize Vacation Part 1, 3.5min.

• Belize June 2015 Sundowner Guide Tarpon #3, 4min.

• Kevin McCloud Escape To The Wild | Season 01 Episode 03 | Belize, 47min. Kevin makes his way to the jungle of Central America, to find out more about a remarkable British family who’ve gave up life in London to live a pared-back existence in the rainforests of Belize.

• Tubing the Macal River Belize, 4min. Black Rock Lodge - Belize Shot with GoPro Hero 4.

• Our Dive in San Pedro, Belize, 3min. Our dive in San Pedro, Belize with Scuba Steve where we saw dolphins, a spotted eagle ray, a green moray eel, and tons of nurse sharks.