Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
A few lessons to share..... Some may be old news, but it never hurts to refresh the memory.
1. If some one is very ill or injured, always send a friend or relative with them when they seek treatment. There are many variables to be dealt with, and the patient is unlikely to be able to cope.
2. Take money, credit card, debit card, checks with you. In most cases you will be expected to pay for treatment on the spot, and in some cases will be required to pay before treatment is rendered. (Another reason to have your advocate with you is to organize this, read bill, go to bank machine, etc)
Even if you have insurance you will need to pay the service provider, and this includes the private hospitals. They will give you paperwork to submit to your insurance company for reimbursement but they do not admit you and bill the company. Thankfully good treatment is reasonably priced, but be prepared to pay several thousand dollars up front if you need overnight hospitalization or surgery.
3. Note that the polyclinic does not do Xrays after 5 pm. Los Pinos has an xray machine and a doctor on call for Xrays after hours. (Another reason to have your advocate on hand to call and arrange things like this)
4. There is no anesthesiologist on the island. If i knew how to arrange it, id have a small supply of morphine in my personal first aid kit.
5. Keep an emergency contact list in a prominent place in your home, and a copy in your wallet or elsewhere on your person. Be sure this goes with you to the doctor. Include info on medications you are taking, allergies, blood type and any special health conditions.
6. No ambulance on island. You will need transport by personal vehicle, taxi or boat.
7. Update your phone to include emergency numbers, doctors phone numbers, friends who can help. On the island do not rely on 911 for emergency response to a medical situation.
8. Healthcare Partners and Belize Medical Associates in Belize City are very good private hospitals.
9. Research in advance the names and contact info on physicians here in island and in Belize City. Know who you want to be treated by, and include their numbers on your contact list.

We have a lot of fine doctors on the island. To single one out for praise here is tempting, but that would leave out the names of others who are also excellent. All in all if you have an emergency here on the island, these fine practitioners can stabilize you and prepare you for further treatment if you need it.

We have quite a few pharmacies on island, generally pretty well stocked. If one is out of the medication you seek, check with others and you should find what you need.

If you need an orthopedic surgeon i heartily recommend Dr. Amir Sosa at Healthcare Partners in Belize City.

N
N
Very helpful Diane! So sorry to hear about your dog induced accident - hope you have as speedy recovery as possible!

OP Offline
Thanks Nick. I hope we can all share from time to time when life lessons arise. It is the practical stuff that varies from place to place, and can catch us unprepared. If suitably prepared, you can find yourself safe and well cared for here.
On many levels my recent experience went far better than I could have expected in a "first world" environment.

Diane,
I think this is a good one to print out and post on my frig or put in my first aide kit. I keep telling my self to put some emergency numbers in my cell phone. I never listen to myself....mar

mar
OP Offline
These emergency numbers are also an essential part of your hurricane planning program.
Tis the season and all that .....

C
C
Thank You! I just printed your post. Will be staying on AC for month of July with the family. Hope we won't need medical, but always better to be prepared. The forum has been very helpful in preparing me for our stay, so thank you, and all that share info here!
Bob.

Life is short, don't waste it being unhappy.
OP Offline
Originally Posted by CBXBob
Thank You! I just printed your post. Will be staying on AC for month of July with the family. Hope we won't need medical, but always better to be prepared. The forum has been very helpful in preparing me for our stay, so thank you, and all that share info here!
Bob.

Enjoy every minute of your stay. The greatest dangers are sunburn and hangovers, both of which are easily avoided.

Originally Posted by Diane Campbell
A few lessons to share..... Some may be old news, but it never hurts to refresh the memory.
1. If some one is very ill or injured, always send a friend or relative with them when they seek treatment. There are many variables to be dealt with, and the patient is unlikely to be able to cope.
2. Take money, credit card, debit card, checks with you. In most cases you will be expected to pay for treatment on the spot, and in some cases will be required to pay before treatment is rendered. (Another reason to have your advocate with you is to organize this, read bill, go to bank machine, etc)
Even if you have insurance you will need to pay the service provider, and this includes the private hospitals. They will give you paperwork to submit to your insurance company for reimbursement but they do not admit you and bill the company. Thankfully good treatment is reasonably priced, but be prepared to pay several thousand dollars up front if you need overnight hospitalization or surgery.
3. Note that the polyclinic does not do Xrays after 5 pm. Los Pinos has an xray machine and a doctor on call for Xrays after hours. (Another reason to have your advocate on hand to call and arrange things like this)
4. There is no anesthesiologist on the island. If i knew how to arrange it, id have a small supply of morphine in my personal first aid kit.
5. Keep an emergency contact list in a prominent place in your home, and a copy in your wallet or elsewhere on your person. Be sure this goes with you to the doctor. Include info on medications you are taking, allergies, blood type and any special health conditions.
6. No ambulance on island. You will need transport by personal vehicle, taxi or boat.
7. Update your phone to include emergency numbers, doctors phone numbers, friends who can help. On the island do not rely on 911 for emergency response to a medical situation.
8. Healthcare Partners and Belize Medical Associates in Belize City are very good private hospitals.
9. Research in advance the names and contact info on physicians here in island and in Belize City. Know who you want to be treated by, and include their numbers on your contact list.

We have a lot of fine doctors on the island. To single one out for praise here is tempting, but that would leave out the names of others who are also excellent. All in all if you have an emergency here on the island, these fine practitioners can stabilize you and prepare you for further treatment if you need it.

We have quite a few pharmacies on island, generally pretty well stocked. If one is out of the medication you seek, check with others and you should find what you need.

If you need an orthopedic surgeon i heartily recommend Dr. Amir Sosa at Healthcare Partners in Belize City.

Where do you get the morphine?

OP Offline
I said I WISH I KNEW where to get some.
I have none and have no clue whatsoever where to obtain it, nor whether it is even in the country.

Now THAT'S a two edged sword. Yes, it will relieve pain BUT it will cause a lot of pain and suffering if the wrong people find it during a raid of some sort. Suggestion: do not keep it with medical supplies in the bathroom.. Find an really really good location to hide it for emergencies.

A little known fact... Women who are overweight tend to live longer than men who mention it...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 345 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.