Soca Mode….it’s the latest song and music video to be released by the female Belizean artist. Earlier this morning, Melonie Gillett made her media rounds and appeared on Open Your Eyes to officially launch the new music video. Gillett, who is traditionally an R and B and reggae soul singer is tapping into another genre in music, soca. News Five sat down with her to know more about what she is doing.

Melonie Gillett, Artist

“The whole song came about a year ago—I usually do my songs in advance so I know what I am doing, I have my plans—a lot of people have been asking me to do something more upbeat, something that they can dance to. They know that I am very soulful and, as you would know too, my music is…a lot of it is more slow R&B even slower reggae music. So I just decided to venture into something different. Kendoyll Simpson, my producer, had made this beat and when I heard it, I knew it wasn’t the typical soca rhythm; however, it is different that I’m going for. A lot of times, the greatest songs come from fusions and new sounds. So it was an opportunity for me to do soca, but not in the typical way that is it always done. So that’s how Soca Mode came about—just to do something fun and exciting.

Melonie Gillett

I actually tapped into a little bit of the choreography side of me. I don’t know where it came from, but it came out and I worked with Anselma and Maggie who are great dancers, very professional and they also chipped intot he choreography. So it kinda came together with the concept of the video. We knew there had to be dancing in it, so we just had to get it right. I directed the video along with Aalawi Productions, Michael Vasquez, we collaborated on this project. So it is actually my production company, Metamorph Creatives and Aalawi Productions as a collaboration on this. The overall director, I had done the directing.

For me as an artist, I’ve learnt to take it one day at a time. And just do whatever I do is best for me at that point in time that’s appealing to my fans out there. I try to keep them entertained because at the end of the day they are the ones that keep me going in music. I have several things that I am working on and a lot goes on behind the scenes that people don’t know. Apart from the videos, there are different aspects of the music industry that in Belize we haven’t tapped into as yet, but I am tapping into those areas. But you are going to see that in the coming…like 2015 and 2016—the sooner the better—but like I said, I pace myself and I make sure that I take the time to do it the right way rather than put something out there that’s not up to a certain standard because I believe any Belizeans we deserve the standard of any international country.

It takes a whole lotta people to make a video like Soca Mode possible and if I start calling names, I would not be finished now. That’s how many people it takes. But I just have to say thanks to my family for supporting me because they continue to support me on this journey. A lot of my cousins are like my team players, my makeup artist; my sister and my brothers are very much into what I am doing. So it takes a lot of people to make this happen. So I just want to say thanks to everybody who was involved in the Soca Mode Project. Thanks for being a part of it. And to my fans, big up yourselves; this is for us.”

Channel 5