Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Letter to the Editor: San Pedro Sailing Club thanks The San Pedro Sun
The San Pedro Sailing Club (SPSC) would like to thank you for your kind generosity in donating a $300 advertising package for our silent auction that was held at Caribbean Villas Hotel last month. As you may be aware the SPSC together with other sailing groups and water sport enthusiasts are constantly working to promote and develop sailing and interest in all water sports to the children of our island. We believe that San Pedro has a unique location on Caribbean Sea which should be enjoyed by all. Our club encourages recreational activities on the sea and provides specialized training for both recreational and racing sailors. In the future we foresee that many of the children that we have taught to sail will expand their passion for the sea into careers on the water- they will be tour guides, SCUBA divers, fishermen and conservationists who will be the backbone of our tourism industry. It is with the support, assistance, donations and sponsorship of the local business community that our club is able to provide free sailing instruction to the youth of San Pedro Town.

Wolfe’s Woofer: Mime
“What?! You once worked as a mime?” I asked Brian. “I hate mimes.” I was sitting at a table on the deck at Fido’s drinking an early morning coffee and reading. Brian, Fido’s manager had joined me and we were chatting. “Don’t knock it,” he said. “I made a lot of money and it even got me a job at the zoo.” “How did that happen?” “I was at the zoo one day and decided to make some money by doing my street act. I did all of that stuff like pretending to climb a rope and being trapped in a box. When the zoo keeper saw I was drawing a crowd he offered me a job instead of chasing me off.” “What kind of job?” “He was worried because their gorilla had just died. He was afraid attendance would drop so he wanted me to wear a gorilla suit and work in the cage.” “He must a have paid you a lot of money.”

Police Report
On Wednesday, July 8th at around 10:30PM, Gang Suppression Unit (GSU) personnel conducted a house search at the residence of 38-year-old Ian Gordon and 37-year-old Lucy Vasquez in the DFC Area, which led to the discovery of two black plastic bags, one containing 82.8 grams of suspected cannabis and the other 9.2 grams of suspected cannabis. Subjects were formally arrested and charged for Drug Trafficking and Possession of Controlled Drugs.

Doctor Love: Substitute
Dear Doctor Love, I am in my mid twenties. My girl and I have been together for three years and everything has been going alright for us. We have discussed getting married but we know I need a better job to support us. My family had a quinceaños party for my sister two months ago and it was a big gathering. One of the guests was one of my father’s friends. He is in his early forties, is very successful and has a lot of money. He looked my girlfriend up online and started having conversations with her. Soon, he asked her out to dinner as just friends and she went with him twice before I found out. I was very upset because I felt that by not telling me it was the same as lying about it. I felt this way even more so when she did it a third time and she lied about it. She said she didn’t want to tell me because she thought I would be upset. Is it wrong of me to feel so angry about this? She said she only goes because I can’t take her out to nice places like he can and she is just using him as a substitute. Besides, according to her they are still just friends, nothing more. I hate drama. How can I handle this to avoid drama?

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

Mr. Marvin Mendez passes away
Mayor Daniel Guerrero, the San Pedro Town Council and Staff would like to extend its deepest condolences to the Mendez family & friends on the passing of Mr. Marvin Mendez. May his soul rest in peace. El Alcalde Daniel Guerrero, el Ayuntamiento de San Pedro y el Staff extiende sus mas sinceras condolencias a la familia y amigos del Sr. Marvin Mendez. Que en paz descanse.

Prakash Project Open-Air Beach Concert Sunday July 26, at 7:00pm
Join us at Wild Orchid Belize for a very special treat! We will be hosting two incredible musicians for a very unique concert under the stars. We'll be having a small bonfire and sharing an intimate evening with these incredible artists travelling from Tulum with Jaen Dev Hari Kaur as part of our Kundalini Yoga, Environmental Consciousness workshop. Leonardo Nieto Joly on Sitar Fernando Diaz on Guitar This concert is open to everyone and will provide each one of us an incredible opportunity to enjoy beautiful, original music in a magical natural setting. Suggested Love donation: $30 BZ Pre (July 26th) $40 BZ on the night.

La Isla Carinosa Academy quickly taking shape on Caye Caulker
Week 7 Update-1st Floor going up to 2nd Floor & Std. 1 & 6 Classroom

How a Nation Rediscovered Sailing
The first ever international sailing participation by the Central American country of Belize is the latest step in a five-year Optimist programme. It is great progress for a tiny country with historic connections to the ocean. “Belize once had a strong commercial sailing tradition, when lighters full of sand or fish, (or probably contraband) were sailed up and down the coast in the usually steady winds and shallow waters inside the barrier reef,” reported John Oliver to Scuttlebutt in March 2006. “Now with outboard motors replacing sails for those who must make a living at sea, and finances and time for recreational sailing severely limited, and in spite of strenuous efforts by regatta committees and sea scout instructors, this tradition is rapidly failing.” Oliver, eager to have an impact, provided this update in June 2009 to Scuttlebutt: “The former sailing traditions are losing support among the aging, now less active, sailors, and I as sailing teacher for a group of sea scouts, have been asked to find out if a junior programme for the schools would be feasible.”

Food Frenzy Monday Madness at Wayos July 20th!
Join us Monday July 20th at 5pm at Wayo's to help stock the San Pedro Food Bank and SAGA! 2 legs or 4 legs, all donations welcome! Bring non perishables, canned goods, dog, cat and most importantly kitty food! (Tons of kittens at SAGA right now!) There will be live music, 2 for 1 rums and amazing raffle prizes!!!

PM to Special Olympics
The Office of the Prime Minister informs the general public that Prime Minister, Hon. Dean Barrow will be out of the country starting today, Sunday, 19th July, 2015. The Prime Minister will be attending the Opening Ceremony of the Special World Gamesbeing held in Los Angeles, California. He will be accompanied at this event by his wife, Mrs. Kim Simplis Barrow, Belize’s Special Envoy for Women and Children. Previous to the event, the Prime Minister will be on a few days personal leave. The Prime Minister returns to Belize on 29th July, 2015. During his absence, the Deputy Prime Minister, the Hon. Gaspar Vega will act as Prime Minister of Belize.

Benque Fiesta 2015
This was the Benque Fiesta weekend, and the Belize Tourism Board was there to get some pictures of the festivities. "Benque Viejo is a cultural destination for Belize’s Mestizo community; this is where you can enjoy the history of the Benque Fiesta, a tradition commemorating the Town’s Patrones 'Our Lady of Mount Carmel!' You’ll discover that this Catholic tradition started as far-back as the 1900s; it is held in the month of July annually!"

Belize a Choice Business Location
Belize makes the short list for foreign investment. "St. Lucia, Belize, Trinidad and Tobago and Haiti have been identified as countries outside the United States that companies will move to in five to 10 years. That’s according to readers of Site Selection Magazine, an influential publication that highlights corporate real estate strategy and area economic development."

The 5th edition of BAFFU Magazine is out.

Culture in You and Me
A Cultural fair, entitled Culture in You and Me, will be held next Sunday in Succotz, starting at 9:00am. The University of Texas at San Antonio is spearheading the event, and there will be fun and games, and learning, for everyone. There will be a tour of Xunantunich too. "Cultural Fair in San Jose Succotz! Come out and participate! "

Benque Archaeological Site Video
They've been excavating the new Mayan site in Benque, and it's looking nice. They have some good pictures. "The Benque Archeological site is well on its way, thanks Mr. Subrata Basu for believing in Benque Viejo and giving us something to be so proud of,despite the end of your volunteer service you remain with us, we are grateful for your perseverance attitude along with support of the USA Embassy Cultural Funds in making this project a reality for our Benque Viejo,and to all who are a part of the present execution along with NICH and its Team!

The Reporter

Body found in Hattieville
Hattieville Police have recovered a body in Hattieville Village, anf are investigating what may be another murder. The identity of the person and other details are bot yet known.

PM leaves for Special Olympics
Prime Minister Dean Barrow has left the country to attend the opening ceremony of the Special Olympic World Games being held in Los Angeles, California with wife, Special Envoy for Women and Children, Kim Simplis Barrow. The opening ceremony is scheduled for July 25th at the LA Memorial Coliseum and the Prime Minister has taken the five days leading up to the event as personal leave days. Deputy Prime Minister Gaspar Vega acts as Prime Minister until his return on July 29th. The Special Olympic World Games takes place every two years, alternating between Summer and Winter Games. The event is the flagship event of the Special Olympics Movement, which promotes equality, acceptance and inclusion for people with intellectual disabilities around the world.

NGOs and communities in Toledo concerned about offshore oil exploration
The Belize Coalition to Save our Natural Heritage and the Toldeo Institute for Development and Environment (TIDE) organized a media tour to highlight the threats of offshore oil exploration and shed some light on conservation efforts in the Port Honduras Marine Reserve. According to Geovanni Brackett, Belize Coalition vice chair said the group continues to advocate and educate on the impacts and risks of offshore oil exploration and drilling by partnering with local communities. Brackett said the Port Honduras Marine Reserve is one of the areas where at risk because of offshore oil exploration and added that many local residents depend on the reserve’s survival for their livelihoods. “There are those in the government who want to push the idea that with a proper oil spill plan that we can entertain offshore oil exploration, however, we believe that when you compare the risks to the benefits, for us it’s still a no,” Brackett said. Celia Mahung, TIDE executive director said there are oil concessions that include the Port Honduras marine reserve as well a few other protected areas within the Toledo district, by US Capital Energy and Providence Energy. Mahung said formulating a solid oil spill contingency plan is absolutely necessary before even entertaining offshore oil exploration.

Jealous man stabs common-law wife to death
A four year-old boy is suddenly left without a father and a mother after a domestic fight last Friday afternoon at their Benque Viejo Town home resulted in the father stabbing the mother to death in plain of everyone around. The father, Ervin Wade, 28, an unemployed, reportedly got into a jealous fit over his common-law-wife, Keisha Buller, a 25 year-old customs officer who rented a house on George street and who was stationed at the Benque border. During the confrontation between the two, Wade picked up a knife and stabbed Buller in her neck, stomach and shoulder. They fought from inside her house to the street, where she collapsed and died near her vehicle. Wade immediately put their son in his car and headed towards Belize City, but police who were unto him, intercepted his vehicle in Central Farm near Galen University. According to Officer Commanding the Benque Viejo police station, Superintendent Daniel Arzu, Wade’s hands and the interior of his car had blood. Police also found what they suspect was the knife used in the crime.

BYM gets bold!
The Belize Youth Movement, the youth arm of the People’s United Party, symbolically called for the implementation of the National Youth Development Policy by hanging a banner on the overpass at the start of the Phillip Goldson highway. The BYM, said that the banner, which read “How many more must R.I.P; 78 and counting”, was to establish the link between the violent crimes both perpetrated and affecting Belize’s youth, and GOB’s neglect in materializing the policy. BYM President, Alberto Vellos, said on Thursday, that his organization believes that GOB’s approach to mitigating the occurrence of violent crime in belize needs to be youth centered. “Responding by sending more police is one of the solutions, but it is not the most effective,” Vellos said, “something needs to be done about the high level of joblessness, especially with the thousands of graduates that just came out of school.”

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

T&T, Belize orchestras perform
This weekend saw the visit of the Trinidad and Tobago Philharmonic Youth Orchestra to Belize for a double concert with the National Youth Orchestra and Choir of Belize. The twin-island republic’s performers total 90, and NYOB chief conductor Chris Bradshaw says seeing such a mighty group in action provided […]

Are Belizeans poor by choice or by force?
“Belize’s water wells are running dry while Guatemala’s water fountains are overflowing! If GOB just build a proper water line then we will not need water wells or to even fetch from the over flowing fountains”. With the state of our economy here in Belize, it saddens me […]

Standard bearer denies involvement in St. Vincent block water crisis
Former area representative, Minister, and current UDP standard bearer for Toledo East Peter ‘Eden” Martinez has denied having anything to do with the cutting off of the single source of water for the residents of the St. Vincent Block outside Punta Gorda Town – the community stand pipe […]

Missing person’s burned body recovered
Ladyville police believe the charred remains of a body found Saturday morning near the Bermudian Landing Bridge are those of 28 year old Kelvin Usher. Usher was reported missing by his girlfriend, 18 year old Daisy Williams, who told police that the 28 year old mechanic left their home on […]

IMF completes mission to Belize
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has recommended more structural reform and attention to procedure to start business and settle contract disputes as part of Belize’s continued economic development after concluding an Article IV consultation to Belize on July 17, according to Caribbean News Now. Team leader Jacques Bouhga-Hagbe concluded, “a […]

PM to Special Olympics in L.A.
Prime Minister Dean Barrow leaves Belize today, Sunday, for Los Angeles, California, where later this week he and wife Special Envoy for Women and Children Kim Simplis-Barrow will be guests at the opening ceremony of the World Special Olympics Games. Prior to that the Prime Minister will be on a […]

Life in Belize still surprises me some days
After living in Belize all these years, I still get surprised sometimes when someone’s service goes above and beyond what I would expect at a particular place. Today I was looking for a dress and when I found one I liked, the woman said I should try it on. I was pretty sure it would be too big as I am medium and the dress was a large but since I loved the color and fabric, I decided to give it a go. I was right and the dress was too big, however right away the sales girl said that the seamstress could alter it for me and they immediately pinned and started tailoring my dress. When I asked how much the sales girl said “nothing, she often fixes clothing customers are buying for free.” I will let you know how it turned out and If I like how the dress ends up. I will also find out if she does paid alterations as well for stuff people already own but need fixing.

The Perfect Summer Snack: Paletas In San Pedro (Or: WOOHOO!!!!)
Ever since I first tasted paletas in Merida, Mexico about 8 years ago… I’ve been hooked on these things. Or at least ready to buy as many as possible when I get to Mexico. Fresh fruit bars. Either en agua (in water or just fruit juice) or en leche…with some milk or yogurt added. They are a refreshing delicious low cost dessert sold from carts and shops all over Latin America. THEY SCREAM SUMMER. And just this week, I got a tip…A TIP…on paletas being sold in San Pedro. It’s fruit season…they seem so easy to make…and there are some AMAZING recipes – entire “cook” books for paletas…Key Lime Pie paletas…but I couldn’t find them here on the island. A simple fresh watermelon or pineapple or coconut on a hot day is a thing of beauty. No one (that I know of) was making them until now! San Pedrano Store. Also the home of the 50 cent (BZD!) delicious peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies…the jar is right there on the counter! It’s your spot. On the east side of Front Street just before the last turn. Behind it on the beach are Cholo’s Sports Bar and Lily’s Restaurant.

Theories For Decline In Central Maya Lowlands
How could a civilisation like the Egyptians, the Phoenicians, the Africans and the Maya just seemingly disappear. For sure, the people didn’t, they certainly evolved and mixed with other groups, but the great astronomy, the mathematics, the trade, the kings…it blows minds! For the purpose of this essay the Maya decline will be discussed. There are two broad-based theories tied to the ancient Maya decline. Those are based on internal factors and the other, based on external factors. The External Factors: Some scholars originally suggested that there was foreign invasion from the West, the Putun area – on the Western neck of the Yucatan (on the map below, the area closest to the sea in Campeche). The Putun Maya you see were great sea traders and raiders. As per the usual everywhere in the world, the traders were bilingual and so were the Putun. Some scholars suggested that the Putun invaded the Central Maya Lowlands. Their fine orange pottery was found in every part of the central lowlands, seemingly adding to idea that these Western people would have invaded. However, scholars later recognised that the pottery was based on trade, not take-over.

3 Caye Caulker Accommodation Options for Budget Travellers
Belize’s Caye Caulker is teeming from end to end with hotels and hostels, so there is surely something to suit anyone’s tastes. Many tourists would want to travel cheaply, so they tend to stay in hostels and hotels caye caulker belize. If you come to Caye Caulker lodging at the last minute, there is a chance that you will end up jumping accommodation every few days because almost everything will be booked. You really need a good Caye Caulker tour. But if you are like some people, this should not be a problem because it gives yous you a chance to see different options in a single area. Below are some of the best Caye Caulker accommodation options. Bella’s Hostel, Sandy Lane,& Morgan’s Inn.

A Shrimp Ceviche RECIPE
Rinse your shrimp under cool water. . In Belize we rarely eat raw meats of any kind. Ceviche is an exception. You may cook your shrimp, if you do we recommend a flash boiling technique. Boil some water, and dump in the shrimp for 3-5 minutes, the second they turn pink pour out the water in strainer. After the shrimp is cooked chop it up into small pieces. Once the shrimp is prepared you will essentially make a salsa with the other ingredients. Chop the tomatoes and onions into nice quarter inch chunks. Add pepper, lime juice and salt to taste. Chop up cilantro very fine. Add the shrimp!

International Sourcesizz

Medford youth completes service in Belize
Medford resident Avery Leon, a junior at Boston College High School, with 11 classmates and two BC High faculty members, Michael Clancy and Dr. John Sullivan, spent their April vacation building a house for Ms. Dawn in Belize, Central America. Leon and the BC High volunteers went to Belize to assist an organization called “Hand in Hand Ministries,” build a home for a family in need, reflect on their place in the world and pray together. Hand in Hand provides simple yet stable housing for people in Appalachia and Central America. When they arrived the group received a visit from former mayor of Belize City, Frank Lizama O.B.E., a woodworking artist, from whom students purchased Christian themed wood art such as nativities and crosses.

ECLAC proposes debt relief for Caribbean countries
The United Nations’ Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC) has proposed debt relief for Caribbean countries on the part of multilateral credit institutions and the creation of a regional resilience fund. ECLAC said on Monday that “this burden hinders the sub-region’s economic and social progress, as well as compliance with the (UN’s) Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs),” which will be approved in September at UN headquarters in New York. ECLAC said the proposal was expected to be presented by its Executive Secretary, Alicia Bárcena, during the Third International Conference on Financing for Development, which began in Ethiopia on Tuesday and ends on Friday.

The Privy Council: A key to justice
As one who has been in and out or our high courts, magistrate’s courts, police cells, and been subject to over ten arrests and innumerable charges, I am convinced that government is the key to injustice; and the Privy Council is one of the keys to it. The following are seven reasons why. Party politics came to Trinidad and Tobago in the immediate aftermath of post-World War Two. The ironies and absurdities of electoral party politics are well chronicled in VS Naipaul’s novel, The Suffrage of Elvira. Dr Eric Williams made it known that the party was the thing. It was the ultimate moral or Manichean vehicle to propel us into a post-Independence future. Williams was in turn satirised in Sparrow’s calypso for his dictatorship over the party: “PNM is mine, lock, stock and barrel” (Get to Hell Outa Here). Party dictatorship came into being; a benign variant of the conception of party supremacy practiced in Nazi Germany, Stalinist Russia, Franco’s Spain and Peron’s Argentina, for example. The Party was the ultimate vehicle for mobilization, rule, execution and stormtrooping – or jibing – of opponents. Partisan ideology binds us lock stock and barrel. An ideology is a shared mania; it is radioactive. It permeates society through and through; our institutions, cultures and economic and political systems. It is an equal opportunity virus; transmuting governments, states, eras.

• Belize, 7.5min. from Kelsey Ritchie

• SUP Belize, 3min. from Streetsailing

• Fly Fishing Belize - El Pescador July 2015, 8.5min.

• Belize 2015, 2.5min. Trip with the boys to scuba dive Belize

• Belizean Entertainment/ Artist / DJs, 9min. Belizean Entertainment/ Artist/ DJ's ....The #1 Selling Artist in the history of Belize Berne Velasquez takes a stroll on Madero in Mexico City.

• Belize ATV Tour, 17min. GoPro video of Ashley and I riding ATVs through the Belizean jungle.

• Belize International Youth summit 2015, 18min.

• Young Belizean Sailor capsizes during sailing race in Antigua, 4min. 14 year old Belizean female capsized during her first international sailing competition in Antigua. See her struggle as she has to replace her dagger board

• El Salvador to Belize Avianca (Taca) Embraer 190, 20min. N989TA Embraer 190 despegando de Toncontin,Tegucigalpa,Honduras 26/01/14. 18/04/2014. Desde el mirador de la Iglesia Amor Viviente. Avianca Taca ... Surely an approach I'll never forget. TA415 Belize - El Salvador Flight time: 45 minutes Embraer 190.

• Tour of Ambergris Caye Belize and San Pedro Town, 11min. Tour Ambergris Caye Belize from the air and drive through San Pedro Town with "The Paradise Guy"

• Belize 2013 (Medium size video - 49 MB), 4.5min. 2013 Belize Mission Society & St. John Lutheran Church Mission Trip to the villiage of Seine Bight in Belize.

• The Great Blue Hole of Belize Underwater Video Unedited, 46min.