Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Sunday Scenery
Lagoon side views…What does your Sunday look like?

Letter to the Island: Island condition damaging tourism
Dear Editor, The island is depending on tourism by 95% or even more. Each business, all employees and nearly all residents are depending with their livelihood on a well functioning and well planned tourism industry. This year, the very first time the island is facing a downwards trend in tourism arrivals, tourism numbers and sales. Hotels are hard hit as well as private accommodations rentals. Many restaurants and tour operators also feel this impact. There are many reasons which can be applied: the seaweed invasion, the crime rate, international economy, international airfares, BTB’s tourism marketing and advertising, loss of charm on the island due to unpleasant and unsafe traffic in town, on roads and in the ocean and more. One item seems to be forgotten as a significant factor for tourism wellbeing: The mix-ins of commercial interests within residential areas and its negative impact for tourism. All tourists visit to get away not only from cold weather but from noisy cities, crowded traffic and to recharge on a relaxing island in quiet and peace. As a matter of fact, our tourism officials never seem to calculate the damage which was and is currently done to businesses in San Pedro town due to the unpleasant and unsafe traffic situation. E.g. Tourists do not like sitting at a restaurant in town where noisy and stinking cars drive by. Neither do they like the unsafe shopping and walking situation in town.

Wolfe’s Woofer: Stew Beans
Sherry and I had a discussion about beans recently. Sherry said, “I don’t cook beans for you because they give you gas. The last time I fixed beans we spent more on Febreze than we did on food.” “You’re exaggerating,” I told her. “No, I’m not. We didn’t even clean the old air conditioning filters. I threw them away and bought new ones. I’ll compromise, though. I’ll make beans for you on special occasions and holidays.” Yesterday as I drove past El Fogón Restaurant I smelled stew beans and could not resist stopping in. “It’s my birthday and I deserve this,” I said to myself as I ate three bowls of those delicious beans. At home Sherry said, “I have a birthday surprise for you.” She sat me down at the table and said, “You’re going to love this.”

Police Report
* On Friday, July 17th at around 7PM, while San Pedro Police was conducting patrols in the Bayside Area, San Pedro Town they stopped and searched 38-year-old Germaine Caliz, which led to the discovery of 1.2 grams of suspected Cannabis and 0.3 grams of suspected Crack Cocaine. Subject was formally arrested and charged for two counts of Possession of Controlled Drugs. *On Sunday, July 19th at around 9:30AM, three American students reported that between the hours of 1AM and 4:30AM, while staying at the Banana Beach Hotel apartment # 26 B, some items were stolen from out of their room. Items stolen were: one wallet containing a ID, along with $400USD, one white and gold Apple Brand Iphone 6 valued at $600USD, and a dark brown leather wallet containing an unknown amount of cash, one USA Debit card, one military ID card, one North Carolina Drivers License, one social security card and one black in color Samsung Galaxy S5 Active valued at $800USD. *On Monday, July 20th at 12:08PM David Flores reported that on Saturday, July 18th at about 7PM while heading home on his bicycle he lost his wallet, which contained an assortment of IDs, somewhere on Angel Coral Street.

Doctor Love: Cheating
ear Doctor Love, I met a woman who moved to Ambergris Caye about a year ago. We live in the same condo and soon we became good friends. I barely know her husband since he works at home for a few weeks and then flies back to the U.S. and works for a few weeks. Yesterday we met for a few drinks and she introduced me to a guy who she says is a friend of hers. It quickly became obvious that they were more than friends. Furthermore, it is a local guy that I already know and he is married, too. He seemed to be a little bit embarrassed when she introduced us but not embarrassed enough to leave. Afterwards, I discussed it with her and asked how her husband would feel if he found out. She said that he probably does the same thing when he’s away from home. How do I handle this situation?

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

Divided they stood, together they fell; if transformed they can rise
By Jerry A. Enriquez. The public airing of a recorded one-hour private conversation that was held in confidence between Orange Walk East representative and former PUP party leader, John Briceño and his close colleagues, in which he detailed numerous corrupt practices of his party while in government, was a damning revelation of a political party steeped in moral and leadership crisis. Coming from a senior longstanding member of the PUP executive, this revelation was a bitter confirmation and a reopening of wounds to what the Belizean public had known: - that there was gross mismanagement of the Belize’s economy, deep and persistent levels of corruption and the reckless spending of hundreds of millions of dollars from the public purse by the last PUP administration. While few benefited from such regime, the national economy became heavily indebted while the masses suffered increased levels of poverty. The social and financial cost of the national debt from corruption will continue to saddle the masses of Belizeans including the children for decades.

LOTTERY DRAWING for Sunday, July 26, 2015: First: 6727 Second: 8319 Third: 3431 Missing: 0, 5

Fire on Caye Caulker
At around 1:30pm today, my mom called for d assistance of d fire station bcaz d school principal n her husband were lighting a huge fire in d yard next to theirs, which is rite beside where my mom lives, beside Bowen. D fire was huge and ashes were flying all inside my mom's house. My dad had gone over to Ms Bea's house n asked them to pls put out d fire caz they cant breathe in d thick smoke. However, instead of putting out d fire, Ms. Bea began throwing more and more garbage on top of it which made it blaze even higher. My mom had called d fire station twice n absolutely no one came to check on d situation. So she called d police station and all d police did was pass in their cart n drive away. This is so very wrong of them to do in so many ways. D main reason being that it's a residential area n they can cause for someone's home to burn down.

Power outage in Belize District
BEL crews have been dispatched to identify and rectify cause of unscheduled power interruption affecting portion of Belize District since 4:50am, Monday, July 27: Freetown Sibun, Gracie Rock, entire Boom Hattieville Rd including Fresh Pond and Castleton and Double Head Cabbage, Willows Bank, St Paul’s Bank, Big Falls, Flowers Bank, Lemonal and Rancho Dolores.

A 1974 Belizean softball team that defeated teams from the Caribbean, Central America and the United States all in one tournament to win gold. These Belizean athletes of steel could not be easily matched by some of the best around the world. World class Belizean female athletes who were developed from high performance adrenaline, unparalleled discipline, and a simple life. This is team Belize!

When the Belizean winds cried, "Rudy, Rudy" all the way back from Cayo in the sweltering 90 degrees heat, along rugged roads, over a steep incline called Mount Hope, with no other rider in sight!

A classic black and white photo of the1979 Belizean softball bronze medal team of the Pan American Games on their heroic return from Puerto Rico after their victory over the United States. This was unprecedented in Belizean sports history where a Belizean softball team won the gold medal in the Juvenille softball tournament in Mexico, then went on to win the bronx medal in the 1979 Pan American Games upsetting the greatest softball team on earth at that time the U.S. Orlando Rebels. What a feat. When Belize produced champions!

In reflection of my visit to Belize's National Institute of Culture & History (NICH) in 2010 to see the George Gabb Art Exhibit. Posing here beside one of the most expressive pieces of George Gabb's work on display.

The Reporter

CDB approves US$400 thousand for University of Belize assessment
The Caribbean Development Bank (CDB) has approved a US $400,000 grant to the government of Belize to facilitate a comprehensive institutional assessment of the University of Belize (UB), which will inform on how to enhance its operations, and become the place of choice for tertiary level education in the country. GOB will also provide counterpart funding of US $88,000 for the institutional assessment. The review will address the adequacy, effectiveness, efficiency and sustainability of the corporate systems and operational procedures, and assist the institution to increase enrollment. CDB’s Education Operations Officer Idamay Denny, said the review of the UB is important because opportunities have to be provided for students who are achieving better outcomes to continue their education. “The government of Belize recognizes that there is need to enhance the capacity of the UB to take in the additional output that will arrive out of the enhancement of education at the basic education level. Hence the focus on improving the potential for the university to perform this role”, Denny said.

Jaguars to face Canada in next qualifying round
The Belize Jaguars are set to face Canada’s national team in the third round of the CONCACAF qualifiers. The selection was made during a World Cup drawing ceremony in Russia on Saturday. The first leg will be played on September 4th at the BMO Field in Toronto Canada, with the second leg set for September 8th at the Football Federation of Belize (FFB) Stadium in Belmopan City. Canada is currently 103rd in the FIFA world rankings. Belize is 118th. “We can say Belize is a team that has made positive and continuous progress. That’s good for us because it won’t be easy to pass this eliminatory round. We need to focus on these first two games with a lot of intensity”, Canada coach Benito Floro said. The Jaguars are fresh off of a recent dismantling of the Dominican Republic in round 2 of CONCACAF World Cup qualifying, who they beat 5-1 over two legs.

Ships warned after Kick ‘em Jenny volcano threatens to erupt off Grenada
Kick ‘em Jenny, an active underwater volcano five miles north of Greneda in the Caribbean Sea, has started to give off warning signs of probable eruption, an event that scientists say could sink ships in its vicinity. Officials have raised its threat level to orange – the second highest warning notice which means possible eruption in less than 24 hours. The Seismic Research Centre at the University of the West Indies says Kick ‘em Jenny started stirring on July 11, and has produced more than 200 small earthquakes since then. Kick ‘em Jenny poses a hazard to ships and Grenadians, even though it is about 600 feet below the ocean’s surface.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

News anchor for Love TV involved in traffic accident in San Ignacio
Information reaching our newsroom is that news anchor for Love TV, Tarun Butcher, has been rushed to the La Loma Luz Hospital after being involved in a traffic mishap. Our reporter, Flora Pereira is currently following up the details and will be updating our readers as more information becomes available. […]

Underwater volcano Kick ‘em Jenny poses imminent threat to Eastern Caribbean
The threat level from the underwater volcano Kick ‘em Jenny, located north of Grenada, has been raised to orange, which is the second highest warning notice, meaning the volcano can erupt in less than 24 hours. Kick ‘em Jenny began showing signs of activity on July 11 and has been […]

Caribbean Development Bank gives grant for UB improvements
The Government has won a $400,000 grant from the Caribbean Development Bank (CDB) to undertake a comprehensive institutional assessment of the University of Belize (UB), with an eye to making it the place of choice for tertiary level education here. The review will address the adequacy, effectiveness, efficiency and sustainability […]

What Belize can learn from Ambergris Caye
Years back, when I said the word Ambergris Caye, it felt weird. Actually, any mainland Belizean would poke fun at me for saying the word. “It’s Saan Pedroh, Lorenzo! Not AM-BUR-GRISS KEY! Don’t act like you’re white.” Remembering it is amusing; things have changed a lot. As you […]

More Belize banks lose corresponding relations?
Reports suggest that two local banks had corresponding banking relations recently severed, despite promises that it would not happen again, and that Belize’s offshore financial sector remains under threat. Neither Governor of the Central Bank Glenford Ysaguirre nor Financial Secretary Joseph Waight could confirm reports to the Reporter Press that […]

Bicyclist knocked down and killed on highway
Miguel Angel Cruz was pronounced dead at the KHMH around 11:09 p.m Friday night, July 24, just a few hours after a vehicle collided into him, while he was riding a bicycle on the George Price Highway. Cruz was riding his bike on the highway shortly before 8:00 p.m. when, […]

Ways to Achieve Sustainable Communities for Belize
Community livability refers to the environmental and social quality of an area as perceived by residents, employees, customers and visitors. It is the sum of factors that add up to a community’s quality of life – including the built and natural environments. Generally, traditional community development focuses upon strategies to create local economic opportunities that improve quality of life. By using strategies that might have worked someplace else, or employing local resources, community development practitioners capitalize on local opportunities to stimulate economic improvement and employment. The traditional belief is that economic growth alone can “finance” livability. But typically a continuous supply of local resources is insufficient to support that economic growth. Community consultations through the years have assisted stakeholders in defining their vision and needed actions for a livable community that constructively sustains prosperity, expands economic opportunity, and improves quality of life for all people. Community-identified actions to implement livable status have typically included: -revitalizing existing community places; -expanding economic growth; -improving the environment, public health, and quality of life; -providing more transportation alternatives; -protecting farmland and open space; -enhancing economic viability of farming; -improving roads and wastewater services; -improving schools and making them the center of communities; and -growing existing regional assets.

We’ve Been “Ruined”!
Having experienced our new “favorite” zoo, we jumped in the car, cranked the a/c to cool off our sweat soaked bodies and headed to San Ignacio in Cayo. We were anxious to visit Mountain Pine Ridge and the two local Mayan Ruins in the area – Cahal Pech and Xunantunich. The drive to San Ignacio from The Belize Zoo is very easy and the road isn’t half bad. Pleasant surprise! Since we haven’t driven anything but a golf cart for 6 months, we decided to take our time and not worry about the 20 some cars that flew by us at 85mph. Including the Minister of Health! I thought for sure his truck was going to take out the side mirror of our rental car. That’s how close he was! Anywho. Our original plan was to stay in this cute little lodge in between Belmopan and San Ignacio for one night just to check it out. We had reserved their largest room (the one with the indoor plumbing and a/c). However, when we got there, we were ushered up some tiny, stone stairs to a cute cabana on the hillside with no bathroom or a/c. If we needed to use the restroom, we would need to maneuver down several different variations of these tiny stone stairs to the bottom of the hill – in the pouring rain – at night. Now, you must be told that I have taken several “spills” in Belize. Even broke my foot here once. Of course, all spills were alcohol induced. I cringed at the thought. “Me + Tiny Stone Stairs = a harrowing plummet to an almost certain death”.

“The Good Life” in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize.
Hi Ziggy here. I’ve managed to take control of John’s iPad while he’s taking a shower. I’m out on the veranda, the western, lagoon facing one, if you’re interested. I’ve been out here since around 04.45 hours when John got up. He had his coffee – instant (he’s so lazy), black and unsweetened – and I had my cool, clear water and an early morning snack of chicken and vegetable flavoured biscuits. It’s been awhile since I last wrote anything but today I just knew that I had to. Why? Well, it’s an important day. It’s one year ago exactly that Rose (she’s really, really and I mean REALLY, nice) and John adopted me. I hadn’t been with them for too long when I overheard one of my ex BATSUB buddies say to Rose and John “That mutt has won the lottery twice”. At the time I didn’t understand what he was on about but it didn’t too long for me to know exactly what he meant.

San Pedro Belize Nightlife: Something to Do Every Night
So you are visiting San Pedro Belize with your family. You are scheduled to do a wide range of mainland tours — the Maya ruins, caves and waterfalls. You have also included some scuba diving and snorkeling. But you are thinking: what can you do on the island that will be more fun and exciting that you cannot do back home? Perhaps go to the best bars in San Pedro Belize? Following is the San Pedro Belize nightlife guide. In San Pedro, you will find something to do every night, things that you can do as individuals or as a group. San Pedro Nightlife: Weekend Nights: During weekends on the island, go to the night clubs. Swing by Pedro’s for Friday Night Jam to listen to all-time favorites. You get to sit along or even get loaned the microphone. San Pedro has 3 night clubs: Club Latino, Daddy Rock and Jaguar’s Night Club. The club scene happens around 11 in the evening and goes up at around 4 or 5 in the morning. Club Latino has DJ music with reasonably priced drinks and no cover charge. Daddy Rock and Jaguar’s charge which depends on whether they are having a special event. Inside, the ambience is friendly, servicers are accommodating and drinks are bountiful. Both clubs give space to either lounge around and a place to dance. If you are not up for the club scene, Wet Willy’s has karaoke and burgers, and Fido’s has live rock music on Fridays.

Escape into Paradise with a Cayo Espanto Wedding
Imagine escaping with your special someone into an island where the isolation of tranquility and romance is all you find. There, you will lie on the sand under the evening sky with the stars the only light illuminating the calm waters of the ocean. It will look like time is standing still, making you feel like you really are on a vacation. This is Caye Espanto in Belize. This heavenly resort will only ask one thing from you: free your mind and let Cayo Espanto do the rest. Experience an exotic island and resort that gives the luxury of feeling that you have actually been to paradise. Cayo Espanto is intimate and unique with its turquoise beach surrounding a 4-acre island with beautiful palm trees and soft sand. If pampered relaxation, service and privacy is what you are after, Caye Espanto would be the perfect fit. The lxurious Cayo Espanto also offers world class snorkleing, scuba diving, attentive staff, catered meals, massages and many more. Dubbed as the ‘Best Private Island in the World,’ Caye Espanto offers the notion of a no-distraction and simple vacation. Immerse yourself in teh beauty of the stunning Caribbean Sea. Casa de Espantos features amenities like personal houseman, complimentary laundry service, housekeeping, premium cotton bedding, fitness equipment, a private sundeck or verandah, and so much more. Enjoy your stay in this astounding private island in ultimate privacy with 5-star world class amenities and service. Below are some Cayo Espanto Belize Overwater Bungalow Resorts accommodation options where you and your loved one can enjoy staying in.

A Vacation Guide on the Best Water Sports in Belize
Water sports in belize offers a great way to enjoy the country’s waters and add adventure and excitement to your vacation. Belize’s coastline is mainly known for its fishing and diving, but it’s also a great backdrop for various watersports. The calm waters and steady winds provided by the barrier reef make for smooth sails off the coast. For those who are looking to doing more than just enjoy the scenery, add adventure on the water with this best things to do in Belize activity. But take note that even when all the islands and coastal beaches offer some kind of sea Belize sports, the availability of equipment can vary.Read on for a short description if the water sports things to do in these different places to help you pick where to go. 1. Ambergris Caye: – Offering the best diveristy of water sports equipment, Ambergris Caye has windsurfing boards, kite boards, wakeboards, kneeboard, jetskis, sailboats, parasails and torpedo rides. The barrier reef is les than a mile offshore with different water conditions from large waves to calm waters. There’s something for every skill level, from advanced to beginner. Several instruction courses are available, and many beachfront resorts carry different watersports equipment as well.

Please Belize: Caye Caulker Calls
Hopkins was a salty playground. San Ignacio was a lush retreat. We certainly could have done Belize justice had our trip ended as we pulled away from the Ka’ana Resort. But we had one more region of this tiny Central American paradise to cover — the Cayes. As teachers, my cousin and sister had over a week off for spring beak, and so we decided to tack one last destination onto our trip. We hemmed and hawed and eventually settled on Caye Caulker, a teeny tiny isle off the coast of Belize City known for being a backpacker’s paradise. We also briefly considered Ambergris Caye, Caulker’s larger, more developed, and more upscale older sister, but decided barefoot was more our speed. With mama headed back stateside, this portion of the trip was just us kids. You know, assuming you consider three independent women in their twenties and thirties to be considered kids! Which we totally do. Hence our cackles of glee as we poked each other without fear of tattle-tailing. No more chaperones! Teachers gone untamed! Come on vacation, leave on probation! (Just kidding mom. We cried every day after you left.)

The Release of Auggy, the translocation howler monkey - Ilke provides her perspective, as Auggy's career
As some of you may know, I recently spent 7 weeks volunteering at a primate and manatee rehabilitation centre in Belize: Wildtracks. I want to share with you an unforgettable and incredibly amazing experience I was lucky enough to be part of, one which helped me reflect on the importance of conservation work - the importance of conserving many unique species on earth which are endangered due to human impacts whether it be through habitat destruction (the major cause of species extinction) or illegal hunting, introduction of non-native species or many other reasons. Not only that but the conservation of our planet, to take care of our environment so as to give not only our species a better future, but every species on earth as well. My story to share is that of the August Pine Ridge Howler Monkey. He is thought to have been chased out of the forest by his troop and was found malnourished and starving in a small village with nowhere to go, since the rest of the area had been deforested. He was brought into Wildtracks to be rehabilitated and then released back into the wild in a protected forest, Fireburn, that would support him. I was very fortunate to be assigned as his carer.

International Sourcesizz

Tourism Growth Slows in Belize
After several years of very strong growth, Belize is seeing a slowdown in tourism, according to new data from the Caribbean Tourism Organization. The Caribbean destination in Central America received 129,316 tourist arrivals in the first four months of 2015, down 1.2 percent compared to the same period in 2014. The reduction came in part due to a slight reduction in arrivals from the US (1.3 percent) and an 11.7 percent reduction in arrivals from Canada. The slowdown comes after Belize posted 9.2 percent year-over-year growth in arrivals in 2014 and 6.1 percent percent growth in 2013, according to CTO data.

Officials meet to review economic outlook for Central America, Panama, and Dominican Republic
Central bank governors, finance ministers, and banking superintendents of Central America, Panama, and the Dominican Republic, and senior IMF officials met in El Salvador on July 23-24 to review the economic outlook for the region and strategies to strengthen policy frameworks and raise inclusive growth. The regional conference saw the participation of the president of El Salvador, Salvador Sánchez-Cerén; governor of the Bank of México, Agustín Carstens; director of the Netherlands Bureau of Economic Policy Analysis, Laura van Geest; and former finance minister of Perú, Luis Carranza. At the conclusion of the conference, the following statement was released: “The ongoing economic recovery in the United States and persistence of relatively low oil prices will provide favorable tailwinds to the region. Because of supply constraints, the region is expected to maintain a moderate pace of growth in coming years, which will be insufficient to deliver desired social progress. Low oil prices will offer considerable relief to the external sector in most countries and will help keep inflation low. In light of this economic outlook, participants agreed that the region needs to take advantage of the improved external conditions to lift potential growth, ease inequality gaps, and strengthen the resilience to adverse shocks. These goals will require the adoption of far-reaching structural reforms and stronger policy frameworks.

‘Beautiful Sea’ indeed
Their motto, “Beauty by Belize, Luxury by Design,” is an apt way to describe the Chabil Mar Resort, an awe-inspiring, boutique, luxury villa property in the beautiful country of Belize. And it doesn’t take long to understand why it has been featured in numerous A-list travel publications and television shows, and was awarded the TripAdvisor 2015 Travelers’ Choice award. Nestled at the far southern end of the Placencia Peninsula, Chabil Mar (Mayan for “Beautiful Sea”) encompasses 22 absolutely gorgeous villas built with such great attention to detail throughout that it makes them feel nothing short of being in someone’s home. The kitchens are highlighted by beautiful granite countertops with barstool seating, multicolored tile backsplashes, Belizean hardwood cabinetry with arched glass insets, stainless steel appliances (frig, stove/oven, microwave, dishwasher), a blender, mixer and coffee maker, and they are fully stocked with premium dish sets, glassware, silverware, serving plates and utensils, plastic containers, a cheese grater—everything one would have purchased for one’s own home, including a stackable washer and dryer in the hall closet.

• Bartending Training seminar, min. Bartending Training seminar is coming back to Caye Caulker on Tuesday 4th August at Roses Grill and Bar. We will be offering Introduction to Bartending (3 days) and Advanced Bartending (4 days) immediately after. Inbox or text 664-1515 to sign up today!

• Wakacje Gwatemala-Belize montaż filmu amatorskiego, 7min.

• Belize Honeymoon, 11min. Scott and Anne's honeymoon in Belize

• Manatees at Coral Gardens, 3min. My wife and I were snorkeling off of the reef near Caye Caulker, Belize. We were blessed to swim with 2 male and a female manatee for probably 30 minutes. Gentle giants.

• Belize, 6min.

• Jaguar coaxed into somersault at Belize Zoo, 1/2min. Junior Buddy the jaguar born at the Belize Zoo does "encounters" where in paying guests are locked into a cage in his enclosure. Here, the kepper in the cage tries to get him to do somersaults.

• Belize: Blue Ventures Lionfish Expedition, 3min. 7 Days at Bacalar Chico Dive Camp as a volunteer for surveys and Lionfish expeditions. Then Placencia for the opening of Lobster fest and the 5th annual Lionfish Slayers Tournament.

• Mission Belize Report - 2015, 24min. Jim Mensie, pastor of Calvary Chapel of Placencia Peninsula, reported on life in Seine Bight, Belize. Message given at Calvary Chapel of Truckee on Sunday, July 26, 2015.

• Discover Scuba Diving LIGHTHOUSE REEF ATOLL, 4min. DSD Participant John McGuire explores Lighthouse Reef Atoll's Half Moon Wall and The Aquarium with The Lucky Devil Team out of San Pedro Ambergris Caye.

• OVERNIGHT HALF MOON CAYE LIGHTHOUSE REEF ATOLL- DIVE AND FISH, 6min. Exploring Lighthouse and Turneffe Atoll. Departing San Pedro Includes stops at Northern Two Caye, The Blue Hole, Half Moon Caye, Dives at Half Moon Wall, The Aquarium and Turneffe Atoll's Cockroach Caye.