FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe’s Woofer: Nightmares
“Do you want another bowl of chili?” Sherry asked. “Yes, but I don’t think I’ll have one,” I told her. “Why not? You don’t like it?” “I love it. This is probably the tastiest batch of chili that you’ve ever made.” “If you like it so much then why not have another bowl?” “Because it’s so late,” I said. “It’s already after eleven o’clock. Remember, last Wednesday I ate two bowls full before I went to bed. That night I had some of the worst dreams of my entire life.” “And you think your bad dreams were caused by my chili?” “That’s the only thing I can think of that would cause it.”

Tropic Air presents new livery
Tropic Air has today unveiled a modern new look to its iconic brand livery. The new design which will be applied to all of the company’s aircraft was today showcased on a Cessna Caravan V3-HHW. Commenting on the new livery, John Greif III, President of Tropic said: “We’re a dynamic and innovative Belizean company. We have so many exciting changes happening, that we thought the time had come for a new visual expression of who we are. An expression that joins our past to our present, and sets the course for where we’re headed in the future.”

Doctor Love: Gifts and Widower
Dear Doctor Love, Next year I will be married to a man who is everything I want. We come from similar families and the families have much in common. One of these is gift-giving. There are gifts for all occasions from birthdays, holidays and graduation. Both families are horrible gift-givers. Neither of them have a clue about what we need or what we like. They buy whatever attracts their eye. They especially like humorous gifts that have no use other than as money wasters. Would it be wrong to tell someone close to you that their gift doesn’t suit you?

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

Bookkeeping Workshop
Presented by: Ms Helen Frampton, Client Mgmt/Training Officer, SBDCBelize, BELTRAIDE Workshop Date: August 6th, 2015 Time: 9am to 12pm WORKSHOP LOCATION: SBDCBelize , BELTRAIDE - UB Campus, Faculty of Management & Social Sciences, Belize City, Belize. Tel: 2233195. Bookkeeping is the heart of any business. Without it, we cannot hope to keep track of the most important part of any business; money. Gain excellent skills in using various accounting procedures and maintain your books efficiently and effectively for the success of your business. On completion of this course, you will have a sound knowledge about the basic steps and techniques used in bookkeeping, including Identify the differences between commercial environment.

BELIZE FISHING REPORT: Weeks of July 26th – August 1st, 2015
Oh Baby there was some action going on this week. First and foremost was a DOUBLE grand slam by Kassie and Joe, 2 anglers, one boat, 2 slams. My hats off to them and their guide. I am not done… Max achieved the coveted prize, Joe did it and Hackney got into the groove right away on his first day! FIVE grand slams in a week! You should have been here last week!!! Another epic permit week with the tarpon coming on strong around the full moon! Again, debunking some of the myth about tarpon eating all night on a full moon.

Reina de la Costa Maya pageant contestants were treated to a fun sailing trip to Caye Caulker onboard SEArious Escape
..snorkeling, swimming with sharks, even fishing and fun photo ops...the girls had a blast!

Costa Maya Delegates enjoying the best of Caye Caulker

The 2015 Belize Tourism Board Winners Are Announced at The San Pedro Holiday Hotel
Ok, ok, so I wasn’t actually there. Not invited to be exact. But last night, the 2015 Belize Tourism Board Winners were announced at the Holiday Hotel and Miss Celi McCorkle was celebrated for her extensive role in ushering tourism to Belize. Here she is with her special recognition award. 2015 Best Guesthouse: Hickatee Cottages in Punta Gorda, Belize. One of my favorite spots on earth. And my friend Yoli, from Parrot’s Cove in Hopkins, collecting on Kate and Ian’s behalf. (Yoli was also nominated for Best Front Line.) Congratulations! 2015 Hotel/Resort of the Year went to Gaia River Lodge. I have never been but was just in the area (the Pine Ridge in Cayo, Western Belize) and I hear it is absolutely spectacular. 2015 Restaurant of the Year went to Guava Limb Cafe in San Ignacio, Belize! I just spent the last week gushing about their gorgeous FRESH food and the lovely setting – my #1 pick in San Ignacio is confirmed. Lovely LOVELY spot.

Five Days in Cayo, Part Two: The Lodge at Chaa Creek to San Ignacio Town to The Deep Jungle
My FINAL post from my trip to Cayo last week…I PROMISE. But after gushing GUSHING about my two meals at the Guava Limb Cafe in San Ignacio, I was very pleased to see that they were named 2015 Restaurant of the Year by the Belize Tourism Board last night. Congratulations beautiful restaurant. Let me continue from Part One…which ended with a big piece of coconut cake at Sweet Ting in San Ignacio, I was headed back down the hill to search for Artemis Glass. Paul, the owner and artist at Artemis, has a studio and a small display room for his work in the back of his house. He and his family are absolutely LOVELY. You must stop in…

Lamanai Maya Ruins: What You Can Expect to See
The Lamanai Mata Ruins is one of the biggest Maya ceremonial centers. Learn about the many things that you can expect to see and experience while visiting Lamanai. Lamanai Maya Ruins, one of Belize’s biggest Maya ceremonial centers, is a Mesoamerican archaeological site that is found on the banks of the New River Lamanai maya ruinsLagoon in the Orange Walk District location in northern Belize. These ruins posses a unique characteristic from most Maya ruins: it is close to a body of water. Because of this, Lamanai managed to have the longest occupation span of any Maya site, spanning from the 16th century BC until 17th century AD, before the severe drought that led to the decline of the civilization in 900 AD. The name Lamanai comes from a Yucatec Maya word that means ‘submerged crocodile,’ a name fit forthis place as the New River Lagoon is filled with crocodiles. To get there, you should take a scenic 26-mile boat ride up the New River Lagoon from Orange Walk Town. This is the easiest way to get to Lamanai, with the hour-long journey as interesting as Lamanai itself because the virgin banks of the river are teeming with local fauna and flora, making it perfect for crocodile spotting and bird watching. If weather conditions are not favorable, you can drive or take a bus ride to the site. This route is almost as good as the boat ride because you will cross through the Mennonite villages and see how they really live. You can also stay at the Lamanai Outpost Lodge, which is a mere 3-minute boat ride from the ruins.

Ramblings of a Fool
Well hello again. Suppose I've been away from this a bit long...I looked through my "drafts" and realized I've started a good many blogs and not completed a one - so I elected to crumple them up and throw them all in the bin; such as it is anyway. Kinda anti climactic to just delete a draft really. I was seriously tempted to print them, crumple them, and chuck them in a bin. It's always looked so fun in the old movies...just another item lost to technology I suppose. So what have I been up too? Crap tons really. Since we've spoken I've done lobster fest in San Pedro and Caye Caulker, 4th of July, my good friend Kira came to visit, BTB Awards dinner, got voted on the Belize Tourism Industry Association board...so crap tons. The real issue is I got kinda bored talking about doing cool stuff. It become mundane pretty easily really. I mean Jake from State Farm hula hooping with a rip in his pants so 'mini Jake' is on display is something everyone wants to read about...but I just got tired of writing about it.

Cayo Winners 2015
Last night was the 13th National Tourism Awards. Congratulations to all the winners. Your hard work and dedication pays off. CayoGuides.org congratulates the Cayo winners, those hard working Cayo people that brought all those awards home because when we win, the Cayo District wins. And the Cayo winners are Guava Limb Cafe, Table Rock Lodge, Gaia River Lodge, San Ignacio Resort Hotel and Anderson’s Caves Branch Jungle Lodge. Guava Limb Cafe won Resturant of the Year. It is located in downtown San Ignacio. The exterior is a colonial building with a modern touch. It prides itself in serving quality coffee drinks, pastries, signature dishes and a wide variety of specials. Table Rock Lodge won Small Hotel of the Year. Located just outside the village of Cristo Rey on the Pine Ridge Road, it offers a beautiful Jungle and farm cabins for their guests. Hotel of the Year went to Gaia River Lodge, located in the Elijio Panti Forest Reserve near the mountain Pine Ridge. It offers fine dinning and comfortable cabins all overlooking the 5 Sisters Falls. Hospitality Award went to San Ignacio Resort Hotel, located in the heart of San Ignacio Town. The hotel offers prestigious accommodations, exquisite dining at their Steakhouse Resturant and a variety of amenities like the Green Iguana Conservation Project. It is managed by Mrs. Mariam Roberson, who also brings home the Minister’s Award. Tour Operators of the Year went to Ian Anderson’s Cave Branch Jungle Lodge, located along the Hummingbird Highway, near the St. Herman’s Cave and Blue Hole National Park. It offers a jungle setting, beautiful river, treehouses, jungle suites and exciting adventure cave tours.

National Tourism Awards Winners
Last night was the 13th National Tourism Awards. The Annual National Tourism Awards has brought out the Prime Minister of Belize, Hon. Dean Barrow along with Mrs. Kim Simplis-Barrow. Congratulations to all the winners.... CONGRATULATIONS again Mrs. Celi McCorkle on her Special Recognition! Receiving the first ever "Celi McCorkle Award" is the late Mr. Gerald McDermott. Congratulations Ms. Mariam Roberson on receiving this year's Minister's Award!! CONGRATULATIONS to the “San Pedro Lobster Festival” on winning the “Major Events and Festivals”! And the “Small Hotel of the Year” goes to Table Rock Lodge! CONGRATULATIONS!

The Reporter

Boy, 10, missing from field trip to Toledo cave system
Joseph Pao, a 10 year-old student of the Toledo District is missing following a field trip to a cave system in Blue Creek, Toledo last Friday. The child was along with a group of missionaries and other children who went to tour the cave when he disappeared and is believed to have been sucked into the water. Persons close to the child’s family have complained that the trip only included obe tour guide, when by tourism stipulations, there should be obe tour guide for every eight persons on any given tour.

PUP launches National Tour in Cayo district
The People’s United Party (PUP) launched its National Tour in San Ignacio Town, Cayo on Sunday at the Octavio Ochoa Park – an event called a People’s Assembly. The event saw the attendance of about 700 party supporters from across the country, and several PUP standard bearers delivered addresses. The PUP’s National Tour called Power to the People, features a blue bus on which its 31 standard bearers will travel across the country. Sunday’s event followed two consecutive weeks of boycott to executive meetings by at least 10 PUP standard bearers, in their disapproval of Francis Fonseca as their leader.

The Belize Times

PUP’s Radical Love! – National Executive Affirms National Convention Plans & Support for PUP Leader
At a joint meeting of the PUP National Executive and Standard Bearers in March of this year, PUP Lake Independence Standard Bearer Cordel Hyde once described the evolution of the People’s United Party over the years as “radical love”. Hyde was borrowing a quote from U.S. civil rights activist Harry Belafonte to explain that while some get tense and even suffer anxiety over the history of the PUP, he and others respect it. The leaders attending that meeting, numbering 31 and representing a majority of the National Executive and Standard Bearers, expressed their full support for PUP Leader Hon. Francis Fonseca and approved plans for a non-contested national convention to be held later that year. This week, in light of a recent letter written and signed by twelve PUP standard bearers, making three requests that include that the Party holds a national convention, the National Executive met with Standard Bearers once more on Wednesday.

PUP’s Radical Love! – National Executive Affirms National Convention Plans & Support for PUP Leader
At a joint meeting of the PUP National Executive and Standard Bearers in March of this year, PUP Lake Independence Standard Bearer Cordel Hyde once described the evolution of the People’s United Party over the years as “radical love”. Hyde was borrowing a quote from U.S. civil rights activist Harry Belafonte to explain that while some get tense and even suffer anxiety over the history of the PUP, he and others respect it. The leaders attending that meeting, numbering 31 and representing a majority of the National Executive and Standard Bearers, expressed their full support for PUP Leader Hon. Francis Fonseca and approved plans for a non-contested national convention to be held later that year. This week, in light of a recent letter written and signed by twelve PUP standard bearers, making three requests that include that the Party holds a national convention, the National Executive met with Standard Bearers once more on Wednesday.

Taking bread from poor peoples’ mouths – CitCo chances women street vendors
If it were not for the embarrassing public spectacle of their cruel behaviour and actions, Mayor Darrel Bradley and the Belize City Council would have succeeded in taking away bread from the mouths of two hardworking women vendors who make ends meet for their families by selling newspapers and used school books. On Friday morning, City Council special constables launched a vicious assault on the hardworking vendors along Queen Street. Among them were Myrna and Yolanda Montejo, two single-parent mothers who use a private space next to the sidewalk to sell used school books and newspapers. The women reported to the BELIZE TIMES that two female special constables showed up and demanded that they move from the area because they were illegally occupying public space.

Vega’s case against Monchi Cervantes suffers major blow – Claimants seek time to “regroup”, trial adjourned to September 17th
Chief Justice Kenneth Benjamin denied a request by Senior Counsel Rodwell Williams to allow the use of a transcribed document as evidence in the defamation trial between Acting Prime Minister and UDP Orange Walk North Area Representative Gaspar Vega and PUP Orange Walk North Standard Bearer Ramon Monchi Cervantes, as the parties met for the second day in court on Friday, April 24, 2015. The transcribed document is an unofficial translation of an audio recording that is in Vega’s possession. In Court, Vega claimed that the recording he has is the same as that which was played at a memorial service for the late Ramon Cervantes Sr., the first respondent’s father. The service was held five months after Cervantes Sr. had been found murdered, buried in a grave at an abandoned property in the Honey Camp Area of the Orange Walk District. Cervantes Sr., who resided in Orange Walk Town, was kidnapped during a visit to his cane farm. After days of searching, three men were detained and reportedly led Orange Walk Police officials to the site where the body had been buried. Cervantes Sr. had a gunshot to his head. His hands were bound by Police handcuffs.

Belize fails U.S. Human Trafficking Test – Downgraded to Tier 3 “for not fully complying and not making significant efforts”
Belize’s efforts at fighting human trafficking have worsened. That’s according to the latest annual report from the U.S. State Department, which rates 188 countries on their efforts to stamp out the scourge. On Tuesday, July 28th the U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry released the Trafficking in Persons (TIP) Report. He explained that the report sought to enlighten, energize and empower activists fighting the “human trafficking industry” across every continent. But in Belize’s case, it exposed a failing system. Belize was downgraded from 2014. The latest report indicates that the U.S. has placed Belize in Tier 3 category for not fully complying and not making significant efforts to fighting trafficking in person. Tier 3 is the worst it could get for any country.

Think About It
EARLY ELECTIONS How early is early? For early elections the government only needs 30 days. Can the elections be called for September 2015? Yes. Why? The conditions are as ripe as they can be. The government is at its strongest. The opposition appears to be the opposite. The government is flushed with money. The opposite is the case of the opposition. PHILLIP GOLDSON Phillip Goldson was officially awarded (after his death) with Belize’s highest honor, Order of the National Hero, by the UDP government in September of 2008. Mr. Goldson had left this world on 3 October 2001. At his funeral at Holy Redeemer Church, Hon. Dean Barrow (Leader of the Opposition) and Dickie Bradley (then Minister of Government) spoke in glowing remembrance of a man who had helped form the PUP and later the UDP. SPEAKING OF GUATEMALA In an incredible development, the Foreign Minister of Guatemala at the invitation of the Belize government was a guest presenter at a public forum at the Bliss Institute. It was a love fest. Speaking on Channel 5, “Open Your Eyes” Tuesday morning Senior Carlos Raul Morales made the incredible statement about an incident in March this year.

Not a blade a grass
The debate surrounding the Guatemalan Claim has heated up considerably and has been dominating the public discourse for the past few weeks. Actually, since the death of Tourism Police Danny Cornorquie, this issue has never really moved off the front burner and Belizeans remain engaged. This past Monday, the media was called out to Raddison Fort George where the Foreign Ministers from both Belize and Guatemala along with senior representatives from the Organization of American States (OAS) agreed to face the press and answer a few questions. Instead of quelling fears as it was supposedly meant to do however, this latest move seems to have done more to aggravate the situation. The problem is that Belizeans do not trust Guatemala. What is even worse is that our people now seem to have also lost trust in our own government and in particular, Foreign Minister Sedi Elrington. What it is about Elrington that rubs a lot of people the wrong way is difficult to pinpoint but it exist and it is protuberant. Maybe it is the way he speaks, the way he tends to look down and talk down to people, his jargon, his body language; maybe all of the above.

Heritage Bank & Belize Bank Bulldogs win in Firms basketball
Heritage Bank and the Belize Bank Bulldogs are leading the Belize City Firms basketball tournament, the Bulldogs with 7 wins, Heritage Bank with 6 wins, at Bird’s Isle over the weekend, while Atlantic Bank and DigiCell are also in the hunt for the playoffs, each with 4 wins -4 losses. Game Results: DigiCell vs. Infotel – 77-59 Top scorers: Raheem Staine, 17pts; Stafford Young, 19pts Atlantic Bank vs. BWS Pressure – 68-64 Top scorers: Ian Lennan, 22pts; Luis Barcelona, 28pts

Real West Strikers & UB Jaguars enter playoffs
The Real West Strikers are in 2nd place and the UB Jaguars are in 3rd place as both clubs posted big wins entering the Adventures Club female football playoffs. The Real West Strikers stomped the Infinites 7-1 with Captain Heydi Aceituno scoring the 1st goal for a 1-0 lead. Real West’s Natasha Tillett then scored 4 goals and Julie Ponce added a 5th goal for a 5-1 lead at the half. After the break, Vicky Ponce added 2 more goals for the 7-1. The Lucky Strikers drew 1-1 with Rising Starz, after Lucky Strikers’ Kim “Brazilian” Perez scored in the 33rd minute, and Rising Starz’ Erin Hope equalized 1-1.

Brown Bombers win SOL Belize Football Marathon
The Brown Bombers Under-13 and Under-15 teams won the one-day football marathon sponsored by SOL Belize Ltd at the MCC Grounds in Belize City last Saturday, July 25. In the U-15 final, the Brown Bombers won 1-0 against the Collet Strikers with a goal by MVP Sherwin Requena. The Bombers had defeated the Ladyville Rising Stars 1-0 with a penalty goal in the semi-final match.

Power to the People Tour Kicks Off! – PUP leaders will reach out to supporters in series of national consultations
The leaders of the People’s United Party will launch a serious conversation with its supporters and Belizeans with the Power to the People tour that kicks off this Sunday, August 2nd, 2015 in San Ignacio, Cayo District. The tour will give our leaders the platform to share and discuss the elements of the Party’s progressive ideas and policies with the people of Belize. The Party, under the leadership of Hon. Francis Fonseca, has already launched policies laying out proposals for radical change and development in the areas of Governance, Education and Social Justice. It will also provide supporters and other concerned Belizeans an opportunity to share their views and suggestions with leaders of the Party. The first round of the tour will take place at the Theodocio Ochoa Park in San Ignacio Town. This is in the Cayo North constituency represented by outspoken Michel “Micho” Chebat.

Salvadoran mother found dead at home
Belize City Police are seeking Honduran national Ulysis Mayorga for questioning in the murder of his wife, Merlin Elizabeth Herrera Mejia, a 21 year old Salvador national. Mejia was found lifeless inside a room in an apartment located on Morning Glory Street on the morning of Wednesday, July 29, 2015. Her throat had been slit and she had sustained other injuries. According to the victim’s mother, Maria Dora Alas de Mejia, the last person who saw her daughter alive was the husband. She said Mayorga had called her on Tuesday night, complaining that her daughter was drunk and that he would go for their 4 year old son.

OW resident killed in crash, 1 day after birthday
On July 30th 2015, at approximately 3:30a.m. police responded to a traffic incident in the vicinity of the riverside about 3 feet south of the Toll Bridge, Tower Hill Village, Orange walk District where a black Dodge ram 4-door Pickup Truck was seen partially submerged in the New River. The body of a 35-year-old Leonel Guerra of Santa Martha Street, Orange Walk Town was then removed from inside the cab and transported to the Orange Walk Northern Regional Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival. Police investigations continue.

BYM appeals for recall of mandatory insurance for UB students
The Belize Youth Movement, the youth arm of the People’s United Party, is calling on the Board of the University of Belize to recall the newly-imposed mandatory insurance scheme for students registering for the new school year. This new fee will act as yet another prohibitive factor for young people who are already struggling to access tertiary-level education. Statistics show that a staggering 93% of our youth-adult-aged population does not access tertiary-level learning. We recall that the cost of UB fees increased for students following the cancellation of the Government’s student-subsidy in 2012 and other increases in fees every other year. We are not against the idea of offering insurance to students as an option and with proper notification, but all indications are that the stiff decision was arrived at without any form of consultation with the student body and imposed without notice. The University also clearly failed to carry out the necessary evidence-based analysis to ensure that this policy decision does not adversely affect students. The decision; therefore, is arbitrary and grossly unreasonable.

Former PM & Foreign Ministers Respond to Guatemala’s Foreign Minister, Carlos Raul Morales
As a Former Prime Minister and former Foreign Ministers of Belize during the period 1998 to 2008, we wish to categorically state the following in response to the assertions of the Foreign Minister of Guatemala, Carlos Raul Morales, that Confidence Building Measures (CBMs) signed by Guatemala with Belize in 2000 and in 2005 “took the decision to not increase the military bases in the vicinity of both countries.” 1. Neither the 2000, nor the 2005 instruments on the Confidence Building Measures between Belize and Guatemala contain or state anything at all about military bases in either country; 2. No decision or agreement was ever made with Guatemala, in the years 1998 to February 2008 by the Government of Belize with regard to increasing or removing military bases in either Belize or Guatemala;

BDF Soldier Asks: How can you expect so much of us when we are given so little?
Dear Brigadier General David Jones, I am writing you this letter to inform you about the many atrocities and challenges that we are facing as Private Soldiers and NCO’s of the Belize Defence Force. There are four major concerns that need to be urgently addressed, in order to improve the overall conditions of the soldiers and the force. These four major concerns are our Equipment, Salary, Medical and Food. The first and most important situation that I want to bring to your attention is the deplorable conditions of our kits. Are you aware that as an infantry soldier many times we patrol without boots, without a good burgen, proper webbing and no hexamine? These are equipment that are very vital for us as soldiers to properly and respectfully execute our duties. When we do inland patrols in the villages and other rural parts of the country, we have to sleep on cement floors simply because we do not have our necessary equipment. These villages have “centres” where beds or something to sleep on could be left for us to use when we go on patrol. We are also sent on patrols without machetes, flashlights and anti-venom packs. ARE WE EXPECTED TO PURCHASE ALL THESE EQUIPMENT FROM THE LITTLE SALARY WE ARE GIVEN??

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Jaguars with convincing win in today’s friendly match
The friendly football match between the Belize Jaguars and a selection of Orange Walk District’s senior players, got underway at the Louisianna Football Field in Orange Walk Town this afternoon. A massive crowd gathered to watch the Jaguars led by Belize’s most exciting and talented striker, Deon McCaulay and Orange […]

PUP holds ‘power to the people’ rally in Cayo
Today the People United Party held a rally at the Theodocio Ochoa Park in San Ignacio. A respectable crowd, estimated by BMG to be between 1,300 and 1,500 people, attended the rally which began with a motorcade departing Esperanza Village at 2:30 p.m.,travelling up the George Price Highway through Santa […]

Police detain five for First Caribbean robbery
Belize City Police have detained 5 men pending investigation in connection with the early Friday morning robbery of First Caribbean Bank at San Cas Plaza, Belize City. The bank branch’s manager reported that 3 male persons entered the bank at around 8:40 a.m and robbed it of more than $50,000, […]

Man charged for sex with teen girlfriend
23 year old Santa Elena Town resident, Anthony Phillip Obando, has been arrested and charged for the crime of “Unlawful Sexual Intercourse” after his 15 year old girlfriend reported that she had been sexually involved with him multiple times. The minor was medically examined and it was certified that she […]

Missing Toledo boy named; feared drowned
On Friday, July 31, at around 6:03 p.m, it was reported to Punta Gorda Police that a 9 year old boy was missing in Blue Creek Village, Toledo District, and had apparently drowned. When police arrived at the village to join in the search efforts, it was discovered that the […]

Jaguars and U-23 national selection face Orange Walk teams today
The Jaguars and the national under-23 football selection of Belize will be visiting Orange Walk Town today, playing against that municipality’s U-23 and senior selection. Organizer Edmundo Canul told BMG that the objective of today’s matches is to provide an opportunity for players in the north to have […]

Toledo boy now missing 24 hours in Hokeb Ha Cave
It has now been more than twenty four hours since a 9 year old boy went missing while on a field trip at the Hokeb Ha Cave in Blue Creek Village, Toledo. The search began Friday night, July 31, with the boy’s father and villagers who were later joined by […]

Blogs

Betting Against Global Agriculture Collapse
Our apparently robust civilization is facing a prospect of global breakdown as major support systems begin to crumble. Locked into a centuries-long course of growth and expansion, humanity has taken over the planet’s land surface and assaulted the oceans, denying more and more living space and resources to other life-forms. Natural resources needed to support the industrial lifestyle are showing unmistakable signs of diminishing returns to investment. Central to this growing dilemma is the agricultural system that supplies food for humanity but is increasingly stressed by climate change, resource constraints, and rising demand. And most do not understand the deep underlying connections between food and the many other aspects of the world in which we live that are also dangerously constrained. Humanity today complacently assumes that the world agricultural system can continue to feed the huge and growing human population indefinitely without revolutionary changes in strategy and behavior. The world community is taking a gigantic risk that even today’s inadequate level of nourishment can be maintained for as many as 9.7 billion people, a third more than exist today projected in 2050, a mere 36 years from now.

AMBERGRIS CAYE, BELIZE ALWAYS PROVIDES THAT “SOMETHING BLUE”
Whether you arrived on Ambergris Caye with friends or your significant other, your kids & husband or just a book and your suntan lotion, something blue is always the first thing you notice. It’s right there out the window. Belize’s barrier reef, the 2nd longest in the world, is nothing short of spectacular. 1000 shades of blue… The island is all about water sports, snorkeling, swimming, diving, paddling and one of our favorite water activities…relaxing in the pool. (Read more about our on-site water sports shop here ) And with this view and these pools? Grand Caribe Resort might just be the perfect place for it.

AMBERGRIS CAYE, BELIZE: YOU CAN HAPPILY VACATION WITH YOUR CHILDREN (AND EVEN YOUR IN-LAWS)
Just this week, The Huffington Post printed a humorous article titled: Vacation or Trip? A Helpful Guide for Parents. The premise? If you are going on a vacation with children, it is not a get-away from real life at all…it is merely a trip. A trip includes things like cramped living quarters and passive-agressive in-laws. A vacation – tropical weather, relaxation and pina coladas. We at Grand Caribe Resort Belize proudly invite all families for a VACATION in Belize. And here is why we think a get-away to Belize right now is the perfect summer vacation for both parents and kids.

Videos

• Shark Ray Alley, Caye Caulker, Belize, 3min.

• Living Off the Grid: Better in Belize EcoVillage Garden, 24min. A tour of the "Better in Belize EcoVillage" garden located in Belize, Central America. Off the Grid Living powered by solar panel and rain water.

• This is Belize, 6min. Ziplining and cave tubing in Belize and snorkeling in the Hol Chan Marine Reserve off of the coast of Caye Caulker.

• Shark Feeding at Belize Hol Chum, 1min. Lovely place with shallow water and lots of nurse sharks and rays..

• Knauer-Feeding Sharks in Belize, 3min. Nurse Shark Feeding in Belize with Bob, Linnea, Kevin, Ken, Terry, etc...at 45 feet.