Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe’s Woofer: Circus Act
“Look at this,” I said to Sherry. “I got an email message from my old friend Fred back in the U.S. It says he will be in Belize City on the 14th of the month.” “What does Fred do?” she asked. “And what brings him to Belize?” “There’s no telling,” I told her. “He’s one of those strange characters who’s done everything from being a race car driver to a big game hunter. The last time I heard from him he was a movie stunt man.” Fred called me when he arrived in the country and we met for lunch. We caught up on what I’ve been doing and then I asked, “What brings you to Belize?” “I’m working as a talent scout,” he said. “I’ve been hired by a big circus to travel Central America looking for new acts.”

Doctor Love:
Dear Doctor Love, I have been with my wife for four years. We don’t have any children because we planned for that later. Both of us have good jobs so we live well and save our money. Three years ago I got drunk and had a moment of weakness with another woman. It only happened that one time and I felt guilty from the time it happened. Nothing like that has happened since but once was enough. If that was all, I could live with it and have no problem but a guilty conscience. However, the woman got pregnant and my life has been hell for the last three years. I pay support for my child and I spend as much time with her as I can. The mother puts no pressure on me at all. She is not interested in getting married or having me as part of her life except as the father of her child. That much of it is fine. My worry is about my wife. No matter what I have done I love her deeply. Last month someone asked her why they kept seeing me in a certain part of town and she asked me. I lied. I hate the idea of hurting her but I know that at some time she will find out. What can I do?

Ambergris Today

Belize Need Your Votes for 2015 World Travel Awards
The Belize Tourism Board (BTB) is excited to announce the nomination of Belize to the "2015 World Travel Awards", a prestigious recognition platform of international and regional peers selected by registered members. This year's award has received, thus far, 580,000 votes! The process is easy and the Tourism Board is asking all Belizeans for their support Belize by voting in the below nomination categories! Belize has made the final short list for several of the major Mexico & Central America regional awards. Simply register your email address and start voting. You can only vote once in each category. Each link below will take you to the various categories to vote for Belize.

Dengue Outbreak Hits 261 People in Belize, No Deaths Recorded
Last week Belize health officials confirmed 261 cases of dengue and are studying the clinical picture of nearly 2,000 people who had high fever and experienced other symptoms of the disease. The Vector Control Unit, along with health professionals, has been making rounds and premise checks in those communities that have shown a spike in cases. The head of the Vector Control Unit Kim Bautista said the figure is higher than the reported in the same period last year, when in the country there were 225 infected patients. According to official statistics, the patients come from the communities of Punta Gorda, San Ignacio and Corozal. Although the Department of Epidemiology said so far there are no deaths from dengue, they urged the people to take the necessary precautions to avoid spreading the virus and its hemorrhagic variant, which is fatal. That entity also warned of the high possibility that sick people increase in the coming months, with the arrival of the rains.

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

LOTTERY DRAWING for Sunday, August 9, 2015: First: 9277 Second: 6573 Third: 9140 Missing: 8

Brigadier General Against Trip To Sarstoon Island
In an interview today with the media Brigadier General David Jones condemned the planned visit of the Northern Territorial Volunteers at the Sarstoon Island in southern Belize on August 16th. He says the trip can jeopardize the relationship between both countries something which we can’t afford at this time. Here is what he had to say. “If they would ask my advice I would advise them not to go. The reason for this is because the border between Belize and Guatemala and the country of Belize has a territorial dispute with Guatemala. They have professed that almost half of the country belongs to them at times, at times they profess that the entire country belongs to them and that area in particular near the Sarstoon they are contesting that the island has never been in dispute. Our version of what we know is that the Sarstoon Island belongs to Belize, they have a different view. It doesn’t make sense to have a confrontation over the issue, it is better for the foreign affairs to foreign affairs try and work out that problem. The Belize Defense Force has a long standing relationship with the Guatemalan Armed Forces we have excellent relations with them.

Military Presence Heightened In The North
Earlier in the newscast we told you about the helicopter found near the vicinity of the Belize/Mexico Border in the community of Blue Creek in the Orange Walk District. The first suspicion that arose was that of El Chapo’s Guzman presence in Belize. Today the media took the time to ask BDF Commander David Jones about Belize’s increased military presence in the North since the escape of Mexico’s infamous drug lord. “We have operations running there at the moment regular operations jointly with the BDF and the police I won’t disclose what sort of operations that we are doing because we can alert people that we operating in the area.”

Forward Operating Base Will Be Built Says BDF Commander
For months, stories concerning the construction of the Forward Operating Base near the mouth of the Sarstoon River have been dominating headlines and today discussions on the matter wages on in corporate and public domains. Viewers may recall that in May of this year the Belize Coast Guard travelled to the Sarstoon Island, Belize’s southernmost territorial point, to perform reconnaissance duty for the possibilities of establishing a base on the island. That trip resulted in tense confrontations between the Belize Coast Guard and the Guatemalan Navy. Since then, we had not heard anything about the forward operating base until a few weeks ago when the Minister of Foreign Affairs revealed that the Guatemalan authorities had issues with building the base inside sovereign Belizean territory. And so the project was put on hold until a discussion was held between Belize and Guatemala’s Foreign Ministers. Upon visiting Belize a few days ago Guatemala’s Foreign Minister Carlos Raul Morales mentioned that the reason that the Guatemalan Government opposed to the construction of the Coast Guard's Forward Operating Base was because an agreement was signed in the Confidence Building Measures that neither country would construct military bases at the border. That statement was refuted by four former P.U.P Foreign Ministers and even by Former Minister of Foreign Affairs Assad Shoman who was the lead negotiator when it comes to the confidence building measures. According to Shoman the three agreements signed between 1998 and 2008 which make up part of the signed Confidence Building Measures in no way prohibits Belize from building military bases at the border.

The Reporter

BTL commits to better advertising
Belize Telemedia Limited (BTL) has sworn to be more diligent with the type of advertising is carries out, after receiving complaints that their content is offensive to women. Following a complaint from Senator Lisa Shoman, BTL committed to having a more stringent screening process when determining what type of advertisements make it on to the company’s social media platforms or otherwise. In a statement issued by the company’s board of directors, BTL promised to “ensure that our team receives diversity sensitivity training among other supplemental training, which will aid to avoid the social media posts in question being repeated.” The board also contested that they were uncertain who approved the ad for social media, but that the company would be more stringent in monitoring. BTL also took the time to publicly apologize to any of its customers and the larger Belizean public for any offense the ads may have caused.

Belize holds 11th CABO Youth Summit
Youth representatives from five neighbouring countries were in Belize this past week for the 11th youth leader’s summit of the Central American Black Organization (CABO). The three-day summit began on Thursday, gathering participants from Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama. The delegates engaged in workshops at the University of the West Indies’ Open Campus compound in Belize City. The delegates, along with several youth organizations in Belize, spoke on various issues affecting the youth population of all participating countries. Those issues included: health and wellness, access to education, social equality, youth networking and youth leadership. The event ended with the delegates making a draft set of declarations on what all participating youth leaders pledge to champion within their own countries.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Walter Garbutt wins UDP Stann Creek West Convention
After what party chairman Alberto August described as the biggest convention held by the United Democratic Party (UDP) in the division of Stann Creek West, Walter Garbutt, a retired teacher, was elected as standard bearer for the party in the division, with 1,563 votes cast out of 3,163. […]

UDP hold convention for candidate in Stann Creek West
Three candidates are presently contesting the candidacy of the United Democratic Party (UDP) in the Stann Creek West constituency during a convention ongoing today. Former standard bearer and area representative Melvin Hulse stepped down before the Dangriga by-election in July after being recorded making disparaging and potentially libelous […]

Belize named upper middle class society by World Bank
The World Bank’s 2014 World Development Report, which includes data on gross domestic product (GDP) per capita, lists Belize among countries with upper middle class incomes at $4,180. (The figure dates back to 2012; more recent estimates by the World Bank and IMF have raised that figure to between 4,700 […]

Orange Walk Police discovers male body on Yo Creek Road
Information coming out of Orange Walk Town is that officials in that municipality are currently at the scene where the lifeless body of a male person was found. Information is sketchy at the moment but BMG was made to understand that the body was found on the Yo Creek road. […]

Ask any expats in Belize, a short Spanish lesson and Costa Maya
Ask any expats in Belize and I am sure they will have a few items on their packing list that are not the traditional things you would think of bringing to a new country. How much people opt to bring varies, I know a few people that brought containers or crates full of stuff from their previous lives and some came with much less. Sabiendo sólo un poco de Español (knowing only a little Spanish) I wrote down all the phrases in English and the answers on my Grandmas notes, then to see how close they were, I checked a translator. Those that have a 3rd choice are answers that Google translate offered different to what she had. Cuento con mi amigo David Ruis me nota en mi lección de español :) (I am counting on my friend David Ruis to grade me on my spanish lesson.)

Instagram Sunday: Snapshots From My Week on The Island
HOT. It’s been one hot week in Belize. And this weekend is the last big hurrah before the island settles down into the slower season…September, October and November. A slow season punctuated by two HUGE festivals in San Pedro – September celebrations/Independence Day and Halloween. So heat, the Costa Maya Festival (we will hear more about that from Correspondent Fin tomorrow) and a fishing tournament…this has been the week in San Pedro.

8 Interesting Facts About Ambergris Caye and Belize
If you are looking to your next place to spend your vacation, check out 8 facts about Ambergris Caye. Learn about Ambergris Caye history and the many things you can expect during your stay. new country that I’ve seen pretty photos of and have head good things about, but don’t actually know much about. I go there without expectations, and because I’ve only done so little research, I just open myself up to whatever happens along the way. And, so far, I’ve found this to be a great approach to traveling. I recently approached a trip to Belize this way. I’ve head rave reviews of this country, but I didn’t really know much about this Central American nation at all. As it turns out, despite its size, Belize is very interesting. Below are 8 interesting facts I’ve learned about this country. Belize isn’t the only nation in the region with a British colonial heritage. According to Ambergris Caye history, Spanish conquistadors originally explored Belize and claimed it for Spain, but they decided not to settle it because of a lack of resources. They eventually handed the colony over to the British, who declared it a British colony. Today, it’s still a Commonwealth country.

Place 1 teaspoon melted butter in each of 12 ungreased jumbo or large muffin cups. Add 1 tablespoon brown sugar to each muffin cup. Place 1 pineapple slice in each cup; place 1 cherry in center of each pineapple slice. In large bowl, beat cake mix, 1 cup pineapple juice, the butter and eggs with mixer on low speed until moistened; beat 2 minutes on high speed. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and cakes spring back with touched lightly in center.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl, beat together all the ingredients except for the butter. Slice the butter and evenly disperse between the muffin pans. Put the pans in for a couple minutes while it’s preheating to melt the butter, then pour some batter into each compartment in the muffin pans until each muffin compartment has amount the same amount. Cook for about 10-15 minutes, or until it is golden brown, or as dark as you like it. Also, bear in mind that the muffins will rise substantially, so make sure your rack isn’t too high (I’ve made that mistake before).

I Can Hear Them, Crawling On The Floor At Night
Returning home the other day, late…like 9pm…I was in a tired haze when I saw him. I live on the 3rd floor and our paths crossed as I came off the stairs onto the 2nd floor landing. He was huge, a hulking figure so large that it took my brain more than second to process what I was truly looking at. Was I imagining it? Did I get beaten and mugged and this was some sort of dream as I lay dying in a puddle of blood and wash water? No…it was really happening. The biggest spider I’ve ever seen staring me down. Though I heard no voice I know he issued a telepathic threat. His un-wavering stance made his intentions very clear; he would not yield. I knew he was going to follow me, into my home, into my bed, and eat me. There was only one logical option – a preemptive strike. The first salvo fired was my foot in an attempt to crush him; but I was half too slow, and half lost my nerve when I realized that as my foot was going down his legs were still on either side of my sandal (see my highly skilled drawing just left). I was sure he’d pick me up and throw me like a lee rag doll (lee – Creole for “wee” or small).

International Sourcesizz

This Is Not Your Parents' Caribbean
The Caribbean is restless. Change is coming from multiple directions, driven by a thawing of U.S.-Cuban relations, Puerto Rico’s debt crisis, and the decline of Venezuela’s regional influence related to a precipitous drop in global oil prices and a growing Chinese presence. Additionally, the pending rise in U.S. interest rates could squeeze a number of countries already struggling with high debt levels and large fiscal deficits, while the stronger U.S. dollar could erode competitiveness in tourism vis-à-vis Europe. Add to this local concerns over economic competitiveness, high levels of crime related to the international drug trade, and austerity measures in a number of countries, people in the Caribbean have a right to be restless and there is a likelihood that conditions are going to get worse before they get better. The most significant geopolitical change for the Caribbean is the thaw between Washington and Havana. On July 20, 2015, Cuba and the United States reopened embassies in each other’s capitals for the first time in decades. Although considerable work needs to be done to fully normalize relations between the two countries, Cuba’s coming in from the cold represents considerable opportunities for U.S. corporations long prohibited from conducting business with the island-state. Where U.S. companies were not permitted to trod, Canadian, Asian and European firms were quite happy to take advantage. This is changing and that is for the better.

How Living In Belize Doubled My Dollars
No, it wasn’t a train wreck, but, it was a nice collision of a lot of dollars and cents with my pocketbook. I have never been one who had to have designer label pocketbooks or clothes. Nor have I tried to keep up with the Joneses by buying things I didn’t need or could not afford. I was just trying to keep up with my family’s bills and keeping the budget balanced. I got there most times. However, I never seemed to have a lot of discretionary income. Whenever I managed to put some funds aside for a rainy day, thunderstorms would come… soon and all too often. Then, one day, the sun began to shine brightly for me—both metaphorically and literally. I suddenly had spending money. This wonderful thing happened when I moved to sunny Belize. Do I miss some things that are readily available in the States? Yes… at times. Do I miss paying the price for them? No, never! Do I miss seeing close friends and family on a regular basis? Most definitely. Do I miss going to my favorite stateside restaurants? Sometimes, when I’m hungry. But it was time for me to get out of my comfort zone, expand my horizons a bit, and get with a more diverse program.

• EPC Belize Mission Trip 2015, 21min.

• Belize Shark Ray Alley, 9min. Snorkeling at Shark Ray Alley, Ambergris Caye, Belize.

• Camp Star Fish and the cultural experience of San Pedro Belize through my perspective., 17min.

• Belize: Escape to Central America, 18min. A group of students travel to Central American country of Belize, to learn about tropical ecosystems and environmental issues.

• Juan in a Million, Caye Caulker, Belize, 1min. Great place to eat, try the Colombian breakfast...yummy! Karen & Josh are great folks, willing to go out of their way to help! One of Kaye Caulkers friendliest places to eat.

• Belize vacation part 1, 5min. My great grandma passed at the of 94 and my mom and the Arzu family went to Belize for the funeral and for some vac time yes I am from Belize

• Vacation Vlog 2015 | BELIZE, 5min. Worked super super hard making this video for you guys! Hope you enjoy it :) I decided to just post this video first since I already had the content for it! But the next video will be TRYING FOREIGN CANDY!

• Vlog 70: Belize Day 6, 5min. It's lobster season!

• Vlog 71: Belize Day 7, 8min. Time to do some more teaching!

• Vlog 72: Belize Day 8, 2min. A visit to the bakery. Rain is coming..

• Vlog 73: Belize Day 9 - the Finale!, 8min. It's time to come home!

• The Marines vs Mykel Hawke and Tim Kimman in the jungle of Belize, 19min. In 'The Marines Versus' rugbyplayer and TV Host JayJay Hoske together with a team of the Dutch Marine Corps is confronted with an exteme challenge. In this episode they compete with rapper Jebroer and survival specialist Mykel Hawke – a former Green Beret – in the jungle of Belize. Which team will arrive first at the chopper in the heart of the jungle?