Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#506795 08/19/15 12:46 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Hello All,

I am also in the Maintenance/Repair field looking to make the move to Belize. I have over 30 years experience as an industrial mechanic and in the electronics field. My specialties include being responsible for the upkeep and repair of CNC and manual mills and drill presses in a large machine shop, component level repair of electronic circuit boards, as well as automotive, farm equipment, and motorcyle engine repair.

I would love to hear from anyone in Belize who may have an open position, or be looking for an experienced mechanic in the future. I would be open from anything in, but not limited to, the Cayo District to the Cayes.

Thanks in advance!

Mark (215) 234-2930 US

Please check your legal "ability" to work in Belize.

A little known fact... Women who are overweight tend to live longer than men who mention it...
M
OP Offline
M
Hi Shyboy,

I have done a good amount of research regarding the move and working in Belize.

I also understand that the Belize labor market is marked by a shortage of skilled labor and technical personnel, and realize that I would not be considered in place of someone native to Belize.

Have I missed anything? Thanks for the input and reply.

Mark

I'm actually the LAST guy to ask. I'm a newbie since March... BUT... I have seen several threads like yours and know that you can't just come down and work. I am sure that several, more knowledgeable people will chime in here and clarify. Residence, work permits etc.

A little known fact... Women who are overweight tend to live longer than men who mention it...
As I understand it, you can work there with a visa (different costs for different jobs) IF the potential employer shows s/he has made enough effort in trying to find a Belizean employee who can do the same work. They specifically point to bulletin boards and classified ads. If I remember correctly, if they get no response within three days (or weeks?) then it is okay to hire a foreigner.

Take only what you need; return more than you take.
S
S
Your information here about work permits is incorrect as is your other post about visas. Unfortunately I don't have time at the moment to cover it all as I need to get to work.

It's best not to give advice if you haven't been through the processes.

R
R
Simon is correct and I believe your posts are more than a little wrong. Although it was several years ago when I had work a permit for 2 years until I got my residency, what you have stated doesn't sound like the process that I went through. Good luck getting a permit for an ordinary job from the stories I've heard. Mine was for engineering consulting and a lot of my work was unpaid but I didn't want any problems. Of course once you have your residency your all set, I believe but that takes a while and you have to jump through certain hoops. I would have to research my old paperwork but even that might now be outdated because the party running government has changed since then.

It isn't easy and it shouldn't be for common jobs especially where you are not employing locals. wink

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
It took us months to get our work permits....However, we had already been living here for some time....Then it was even longer for our Residency....As Employer before we can hire anyone they must produce a Belize Social Security card. That includes an expat replacement for a local job that could not be filled...... Hope this helps a little.... And as ragman said 'jump through certain hoops'.....Quite frankly is an understatement..... For us it's worth it. This has been and probably always will be our home.....

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com
S
S
The process is different for a self-employed work permit vs. working for someone else. If you have a work permit to work for someone else you can only work for that business and no other. If you quit, get fired or they close up shop your work permit is rescinded.

It's not an easy process but it's no less difficult than it is for a Belizean to get a permit to work in North America.

Originally Posted by SimonB

It's not an easy process but it's no less difficult than it is for a Belizean to get a permit to work in North America.

I think you may mean its no more difficult .....

A Belizean getting a green card in the US is a major feat. Major.
And when that big cement wall goes up along the US boarder its going to get harder.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.