Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Belizean Actors land role in International Film "Jungle Move"
American Director and film producer Christopher Coppola is currently in Belize shooting his latest film "Jungle Move." Coppola who is president of Christopher R. Coppola Productions (CRC Productions), has been on the filmmaking team as both producer and director of over ten films and series in the United States of America (USA), Canada and Germany. Coppola's latest film "Jungle Move" takes place in San Francisco and the jungles of San Antonio, Punta Gorda Belize and saw several Belizeans and islanders landing supporting roles. The thriller is based upon the life of Clara, who after the tragic death of both parents was sent away by her grandfather. Clara grows up to fall in love with Gabriel Coronado and returns to the jungles of Belize. Little did Clara know that returning to the place she loved meant confronting her fears and past with events of supernatural occurrences. Clara ultimately overcomes new and old demons to regain control of her life.

Ambergris Today

New Cruise on Ambergris Caye Will Have You Screaming YOLO!
Vacation like you never have before on the YOLO, the newest cruise on the island of San Pedro. It is the ultimate booze cruise but it can also be chartered for family fun adventure at sea or marine reserve underwater activities. The cruise company also offers an excellent dining experience while sailing the Caribbean Sea. You Only Live Once (YOLO)! And life is too short to limit your experiences and Island Dream Tours is happy to bring something new and fun to the island for everybody to enjoy. Welcome aboard the YOLO! This customized and luxurious 40-foot catamaran caters to vacationers seeking that memorable and relaxing experience. The tour company gives you the opportunity to design your own cruise to some of the best hotspots on the island such as: Shark Ray Alley, Mexico Rocks, a visit to Caye Caulker, a cruise to the west side of the island or chilling on a sandbar. Witness some of the most vibrant and colorful sunsets on a Romantic Sunset Dinner cruise with Yolo. This cruise is like no other, equipped with an open bar serving delicious handcrafted cocktails by one of the best Mixologists on deck.

Flashbacks: Royalty and Pageantry in San Pedro Village
As we enter the season of the festivities connected with the anniversaries of The Battle of St. George's Caye and Independence it is apt to look at some of the past queens who reigned over the hearts of San Pedranos after having won the Miss San Pedro title. Here is Miss San Pedro 1966, Marcia Dawson sharing the stage with Miss San Pedro 1964, Flora Graniel right at Central Park in San Pedro. This Flashback shows the absence of any elaborate stage with props and backgrounds. There is not even a sign indicating the year. Note that in that day and age there was a lot more fabric as the queen and maids of honor were all dressed in very expensive and detailed white evening gowns. The emphasis was not in showing flesh but rather in showing beautiful dresses. And the ladies were all wearing long gloves which was a requisite of the royalty. Indeed, the Miss San Pedro Pageant and the Installation of Miss San Pedro has always been a true gala event.

25 Years Ago: Remembering When WE USED TO� in San Pedro Village No. 2
Oh yes we used to do that and we used to think and we used to play and even eat back then much different in San Pedro from today. It was not better or it worse. It was just different. Let's enjoy a few more. BEACH COMBING: This was a very popular activity back in the 1950's and 60's. Many of the village fishermen USED TO beach comb for bamboo, which was used to make the lobster traps or lobster pats as they were called. We picked up strange bottles and took them home to be used as water bottles. Any piece of usable lumber was considered a good pick for a beach comber. PIG TAIL: You will probably laugh when you see pig tail repeated so many times in so many dishes. But it is very true. Pig tail was a delicacy and USED TO eat it at least once a week a week or perhaps more. Here we go. Boil pig tail with tomato sauce and corn tortillas. Boiled pig tail fixed up in a soup with chaya. Boiled pig tail fried with egg and chaya. Pig tail with boiled ripe plantain with coconut oil. Pig tail in tamales. Pig tail in split peas soup. TRAVELLING BY SAILBOAT: Back then we used to travel to Belize City by boat and here is how author Angel Nunez describes this aspect of life in San Pedro in his book Twenty Five Years Ago. Rosa got up at midnight to board the Elsa P. San Pedro's only cargo sailing boat which also served as the island passenger boat that provided this service with distinction. Tio Pil, the captain and owner, liked to travel in the wee hours of the morning so that he could arrive in Belize City by dawn and make full use of the entire day loading the boat with merchandise and all types of cargo.

San Cas Realty Holds Inauguration of Luxury Realty Affiliation in Belize
Santiago Castillo Ltd. of Belize and Christie's International Real Estate of London/New York were delighted to announce the inauguration of SANCAS Realty Ltd. as the exclusive Christie's International Real Estate affiliate of Belize. The new luxury real estate company officially launched its services on Thursday, August 20, 2015, at a cocktail social held at Rain Rooftop Restaurant, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye. With 89 years of service in Belize, Santiago Castillo Ltd. is one of the oldest companies in the country which made its fortune as a wholesaler and retailer. Now, San Cas Realty Limited is the newest addition to the San Cas Group of Companies, established on August 13, 2014, with a vision of being the leading luxury real estate company in Belize. Christie's International Real Estate of London/New York is one of the most glamorous, upscale brands in the world now working on boosting the luxury real estate market in Belize.

Pic of the Week - Best Underwater Selfie Ever
Six-year-old James is enjoying summer in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize, the way almost all island kids do - in the water. Summer holidays in Ambergris Caye includes sleeping in and then running to the beach as you get up. It's an all-day, every-day must to spend endless hours on the beach and enjoying all the water activities possible during summer in Belize. Young James is a natural underwater and has even mastered the art of taking a selfie under the turquoise waters of the beautiful Caribbean Sea.

Belize Tourism Arrivals Improve, Looking into European & South American Markets
Tourist arrivals for January to July have begun to show improvements, with overnight arrivals showing a 1.6% increase in June, and 3% increase in July. Cruise passenger arrivals have shown an overall increase of 0.2%. The 0.8% drop in cumulative arrivals through the first seven months of 2015, was partially attributed to the consistent decreases in the number of overnight visitors from the Canadian market. Statistical indicators have pointed to Canada's economy going through a downturn. Bob Michael stated (International Business Time) "The Canadian dollar fell to a three-week low against the US dollar on 30th June as data from Canada showed the economy contracted for the fifth straight month."

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

Clapboard Houses On Caye Caulker Belize
Photos by Lee Vanderwalker

Commentary: My views on the Belize-Guatemala issue
By Wellington C. Ramos. The Guatemalan claim to Belize, like all the claims that exist among the countries in Latin America and the Caribbean, has its roots in the Treaty of Tordesillas that was signed between Spain and Portugal in 1493 and approved by the then Catholic Pope Alexander the VI of Spain. Neither Spain, Portugal nor the Catholic Pope had the right to come all the way to this part of the world to take away the land of the indigenous people of this planet. Such action is deemed as genocide committed by all those who were involved in this inhumane act. All territories taken by these individuals must be returned to those who were there at the time they came to use force to wage an unjustified war against these people's nation state. In addition, all titles to land obtained by these Europeans must be voided and the lands must be handed back to the true owners, the indigenous people who live in these countries today. Just look at the way Spain treated the Mayas in Guatemala from the time Alvarado conquered that nation state in the 1500s. It is the same way that the Guatemalan people and government have been treating the Maya people since Guatemala became independent in the 1820s. Guatemala has compulsory service so even the same Mayas who join their military are involved in removing their own people from their villages and slaughtering them.

TEDx Belmopan
Belize is having a TED Talk in Belmopan, on October 1st. The theme is 'Changing The Conversation.' "TEDx Belmopan is a local, independently organized event that strives to re-create the unique experience found at TED, where the world's leading thinkers and doers congregate to share what they are most passionate about. At its core, the fundamental goal of TED and TEDx Belmopan is to foster and spread great ideas. We aim to provide a platform where the smartest thinkers, greatest visionaries, and most fascinating teachers will be inspired and will have the opportunity to inspire others."

Rotaract Fill-a-Backpack
The Rotaract Club of Benque is in the middle of their 2nd annual Fill-a-Backpack school supply drive. They are collecting school supplies of all kinds, even supplies for the teachers. If you can help in any way, contact them at 623-7740. Thanks, Rotaract! "You can also deposit your monetary donation at our Belize Bank account 650-1-1-26073. Help us send a child to school!"

Money for Macaw preservation!
Ambassador Ho of the Republic of China (Taiwan) in Belize hands over a cheque of Bz$20,000.00 to FCD for scarlet macaw conservation. FCD is thankful to Taiwan's Ministry of Agriculture and Forest Bureau for the grant that will be used to construct a laboratory and promote public awareness on macaws.

Channel 7

Hon. Davis Didn't Resign; He Was Removed
"Resign or be removed" - that's the mantra that Vice President of the National Trade Union Congress of Belize Audrey Matura Shepherd has been repeating against Labour Senator, Ray Davis. Well, the news tonight is that she got her way: the General Council of the NTUCB has voted to remove him. Things came to a head after Davis appeared before a tribunal in early August to explain why he was absent for the Senate meeting on July first. As we've told you he sent the president and the general secretary of the NTUCB an email on June 17th informing him of his planned absence. But, it seems neither the President or the Gen Sec got the mails. Now, add that to the fact that on March 30, Davis famously abstained from voting on the Petrocaribe Loans Act when it was first passed into law. At the time, the union had given him no clear position on the bill. So, at Saturday's meeting, all those opposed to and those in favour of his continued tenure as Senator gathered to decide whether the NTUCB was satisfied with Ray Davis' performance. We understand the meeting got very heated - and have confirmed that at least three people - including Dylan Reneau of the PSU and Sharon Fraser of the APSSM walked out in frustration. But, the meeting continued, and in the end those remaining decided that they were not pleased with Davis's performance and that he should be replaced.

16 Year Old Shooting Victim Refutes Police, Tells Truth About Shooting
On Friday night, we told you about 16 year-old Belize City resident Mark Phillips, the youth who police say was shot by one of his friends in the Queen Square Primary School Compound. That's after they allegedly were waiting to ambush another youth - that, police say, went bad when the gun jammed and Phillips was shot by mistake. Well, since Sunday, his family has been contacting us to try to set the record straight, claiming that police are terribly mistaken, and that they're looking to charge the wrong persons. Today, we got a chance to speak with Phillips at the KHMH, who is still trying to recover from the gunshot injury to his abdomen. Here's what he had to say about the encounter with the shooter who injured him: Mark Phillips - Shooting Victim "He and I went into the school yard and he was standing at the gate texting on his phone and I went to see what they wanted. By the time I went there all I heard was a gun crank and I saw my friends ran. I ran too when I heard the first shot and the first shot caught me too. I ran out of the school yard and I yelled out for my family "Danito" and he help me down the street to catch a taxi or a car, but none of that was passing at the time, only a motorcycle. I ended up going on a cycle and I reached the hospital. I lost a lot of blood."

A Homicide On Hummingbird: 15 Year Old Killed
And while Phillips is recovering, today the family of Tarique Polanco was building his tomb. It's a tragic and completely unexpected turn of events for the family which lived in the country, at mile 26 on the Hummingbird Highway. Through those long rolling hills near the gap -one of the most picturesque settings in the Stann Creek District - that's the last place you might expect a violent - ultimately fatal - home invasion. Today, Monica Bodden went south to find out how the family is coping and coming to grips that their grandson was killed at their home:. Mateo Polanco - Grandfather "When the men finished broke in and took out the gun, the opened the door and the came out right here and they put the gun right here (neck) on the little boy and they shoot him." This morning Mateo Polanco recalled the horrifying home invasion - that took the life of his 15 year old grandson - Briaton Tharique Polanco. Mateo Polanco - Grandfather "I got a phone call about 11:10am in Dangriga and I came. I made it in 35 minutes and when I came, my grandson was lying right here in front of my house and the police was here already and they didn't want I come and see my grandson, because they say I will disturbed the scene."

Overdid Overtaking, Caused Two Lives To Be Lost
10 days ago, we told you about the terrible accident between Miles 6 and 7 on the Phillip Goldson Highway which killed 2 men. Well, the man who police say is criminally responsible for their deaths is 24 year-old Ethon Belisle, a resident of St. Pauls Bank. Police charged him with 2 counts of manslaughter, 2 counts of causing death by careless conduct, 1 count of driving a motor vehicle without due care and attention, and 1 count of improperly overtaking a vehicle that was in front of him. Due to the nature of some of the offences, no plea could be taken, and when he was asked for his plea for the others, he pled not guilty. He was offered bail of $7,000, and his case was adjourned until October 28.

Guatemalan President Holds On While Things Fall Apart
Guatemalan President Otto Perez Molina will not resign even as thousands protest outside the presidential palace; eight of his cabinet members have been forced to resign in 24 hours, and his former vice president Roxana Baldetti appeared in court today accused of accepting $3.7 million dollars in bribes as part of a customs corruption scandal. Add to that the fact that the Guatemalan Attorney General has called for his impeachment on corruption charges, and Perez's last 5 months in office promise to be a real challenge. But, he's not backing away from it. In a televised message last night, the former general announced that he's not going anywhere, his conscience is clear, and will fully submit himself to the impeachment proceedings that have been initiated against him. The Archbishop of Guatemala, Vian Morales, has also called for his resignation, and protests have been ongoing for four months in front of the presidential palace.

Credit Union Special Meeting Is Feisty, Abrupt
The La Inmaculada Credit Union held its special general meeting on Saturday in Orange Walk town. The meeting was the result of weeks of gathering signatures by member - owners of the credit union who are demanding instant accountability from the Credit Union's Board of Directors. The issue, of course is that the long time general maanger Yolanda Gomez was suspended in April and terminate din July - and the board said she left a half million dollars unaccounted for in her wake. So at Saturday;s meeting the member owners wanted to get answers about their money - and they flocked by the thousands to the venue in Orange Walk Town. Here's what happened:... Jules Vasquez reporting More than a thousand member owners of the La Inmaculada Credit Union streamed into the Muffles College Auditorium on Saturday morning. Outside the mood was genial - even though the media was told that no news cameras would be allowed inside, but inside, it would be heated and volatile. With many of the member owner calling for the board to go. But above the howls of protest. A motion for the meeting to be adjourned was passed before Yolanda Gomez - or many other could speak - causing widespread disapprobation among the members.

Drinkers Must Bear Beer Scarcity
There was a scarcity of Belikin Beer this weekend and Bowen and Bowen says it's because they had an equipment failure. The bottler of Belikin Beer, Belikin Stout, Belikin Premium, Lighthouse, and Guinness say they are upgrading to, quote, "meet the increasing demand" for these products. But, progress brings problems, it seems, and they say, quote, "over the weekend we encountered an unexpected equipment failure in a crucial area of Belize Brewing's bottling line." The company says it is quote, "working around the clock to fix it" and expects normal production capacity to be restored by Tuesday the 25th. Until then - and probably for some time after, Belikin, Lighthouse and Guinness will be scarce.

Employing "Waitresses"
Tonight, 2 owners of Belize City bars are in trouble with the Immigration Department after allegedly being caught with for illegal immigrant workers. They are businesswomen Rexis Mejia, owner of Long Island Bar, and Mora Mejia, the owner of La Catracha Bar. The Immigration Department says that Rexis Mejia was employing 3 persons without a valid work permit, and Maura Mejia employed 4 persons without a valid permit. When they arraigned before Magistrate Ladonna John, they both pleaded not guilty and were granted bail of $6,000 each. They must return to court at a later date.

Hit and Run Hilton Needs Help
Tonight, the family of another accident victim, Hilton Conorquie, is asking your help to donate blood so that he can get important medical surgeries for the extensive injuries he suffered in a hit and run accident which happened on Saturday, August 15. He was doing some work at the Mile 8 Community on the George Price Highway, and that's when he was hit by a driver who ran him over and fled the scene. He's suffered massive injuries to his legs, and right now, the doctors need to repair the damage. But, because the blood bank needs blood in order to keep him alive during the procedures, they aren't prepared to conduct the surgeries as yet. Today, we met his family at the KHMH, and his sister made the impassioned plea to try to convince those of you who are of O-Positive blood type to donate a pint on Conorquie's behalf. Here's how she described it:

Stopping a Fire Before It Was An Inferno
Early on Sunday morning, residents in the vicinity of #133 Neal Penn Road were awakened by a fire which destroyed 2 houses. The aggressive blaze then began to spread to a neighbour's house which. Luckily, they managed to stop the fire in its tracks. We spoke to that homeowner about how they managed to save their home. Here's what the patriarch had to say about how they handled the emergency: Edward Baldarez - Fire Victim "When my neighbor saw the fire, he saw all what he heard "voom" the fire went there and came back. By this time one of family came to call me. He knock at the door, so when I jumped out of my bed, when he came I saw the entire outside already under fire. So I ran in back and call my common-law-wife, ran downstairs, call my son and his wife and told them fire, fire. So my neighbor and other people from around here started to bring water for us to out the fire. So by this time, the entire kitchen was already under fire. But the help that I got, they were bringing water and we were throwing it on the fire. My daughter has called the fire engine. While we were trying to out the fire, the fire engine came. By that time I had already out the fire in my kitchen. They just came and finish throw some water and that's it."

Finding Common Ground In BEL Labour Dispute
About a month ago, workers from BEL's Energy Workers Union, were using their lunch break to picket their company's management. To hear them tell it, management was playing hardball at the negotiating table, refusing to give an across the board 8% pay raise for staff. Since then, Labour Minister Godwin Hulse stepped in as the go-between for the Union and the management. So, how close, or far are both sides now? That's what we asked the Union Representative and the Labour Commissioner today: Marvin Mora - General Secretar, BEWU "One of the things that we have seen happening over the past days is that we have not received any update coming from the ministry as to his proposal that he laid on the table for BEL management and the board to consider. We are awaiting word from them as to whether or not that was accepted, what was accepted, so that we can be able to quantify and present that to our membership for their approval as well. If that is done in a timely manner, then we could resolve this issue probably in the next couple of weeks. But either management or the minister keep dragging their foot on the issue - they have to remember that the union itself has its own mechanisms that we have to activate in order for us to get some sort of agreement coming from the membership."

Capital And Labour Meet
We met both men at a workshop held by the International Labour Organization, in collaboration with the Caribbean Employers' Confederation and the Caribbean Congress of Labour. The Caribbean Employers Confederation is a regional organization made up member groups representing the private sectors in each Caribbean Country. The Belize Chamber of Commerce and Industry is Belize's representative on the confederation. The trade unions of each Caribbean country make up a part of the Caribbean Congress of Labour and the NTUCB is Belize's representative. So, today, Marx would have wept, as labour and capital sat at the same table to discuss common ground, or more specifically, the full implemention CARIFORUM's Economic Partnership Agreement, which makes up a part of the free movement of skilled laborers in CARICOM and CARIFORUM countries. We found out that this forum is about helping skilled laborers in Belize to get ready to compete for jobs in the region:

PUP Not Too Hyped Up In Hopkins
The PUP's Power to the People Rally went to Hopkins Village in the Stann Creek District yesterday. Coming off a strong showing in Big Falls Toledo, the turnout was somewhat of a letdown. Reports say that a crowd of about 700 went out to the beachside event. The G-11 again did not show up - but in the picture we saw of the stage, only about 10 standard bearers seemed to be there. The tour is expected to head north next - an area where five of the rebels are based - so it ought to be interesting to see if they come out for that one.

UB Drops Mandatory Insurance
At the end of July we told you about the mandatory 45 dollar fee that UB Students had to pay for insurance coverage called Black Jaguars Accident Protection Policy. Well, the Belize Youth Movement which brought the story to the forefront in the first place, reports that at a student forum last?week Thursday University ?President Alan Slusher?announced that the University?would make the fee optional, not mandatory.

School Starts When Again?
And keeping it on the subject of school, the ministry of education sent out an odd press release today saying that public primary schools and pre schools should start on September first. The release quotes the Education Act which states, quote, "In the case of pre-school centres, primary schools and secondary schools or institutions, classes for the school year shall commence on September 1 of each year, except that where September 1 is a day later in the week than Wednesday, classes begin on the first after September 1." Of course if you can understand that impenetrable language, you probably don't need to go to school.

Prospects Exciting For Expo
TODAY, we asked the President of the Chamber of Commerce about the preparations for the 2015 Belize Expo and Market Place. As we've shown you, despite the weather and other challenges, the Expo has been drawing record crowds. Tux Vasquez told us that he expect this year's expo to be no different: Last year's expo had over 19,000 visitors, a record, despite the rains. This years expo takes place on September 5th and 6th.

CITO Certified
The Central Information Technology Office, or CITO, is the repository of government's highest computer functions, like the SAMRTSTREAM System. And for them, computer security is a very big deal. That's why they are the first government office to be ISO CERTIFIED, which means they adhere to the highest security standards in the world. In the world of information technology, that's kind of a big deal - and that's why they held a ceremony to mark the achievement today:.. The CITO office will be reviewed annually for ISO compliance.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Channel 5

L.I.C.U. Hosts Fiery Special General Meeting
There is a dark cloud of controversy and contention over the La Inmaculada Credit Union following a special general meeting held Saturday in Orange Walk. That meeting was demanded by [...]

Has Senator Ray Davis Been Booted?
Ray Davis - is he in or out as senator for the unions? Well, our sources say he's out, but when we spoke with President of the National Trade Union [...]

N.T.U.C.B. Says FM Elrington was Disrespectful
And what is the position of the unions in respect of the Belize Territorial Volunteers' recent encounter with the Guatemalan Military near the Sarstoon Island? President of the N.T.U.C.B. says [...]

Dangriga Police Seek Murderer in Pomona Home Invasion
A horrible home invasion at an isolated farm on the Hummingbird Highway ended tragically for the Polanco family. One of five minors at home was senselessly murdered in front of [...]

B.T.V. Heads to Sarstoon Tomorrow
A small detail of territorial volunteers, led by Wil Maheia, is headed to Sarstoon Island on Tuesday morning again.� The trip is the first of several planned visits to the [...]

O.A.S. Report on Sarstoon Incident Kept Under Wraps
Still on the matter of the Sarstoon�.The O.A.S. report on the incident has been handed in to the Government of Belize. Today, News Five was able to confirm that the [...]

Guatemala in Chaos as Vice-President is Arrested
Over in Guatemala, there is huge political crisis which could lead to the collapse of the government of President Otto Perez Molina. On Friday, the former vice president, Roxana Baldetti [...]

Chamber Looking for Answers in B.O.A. De-risking
For the past few weeks, we have been reporting about the Bank of America severing ties with banks in Belize. Since then, Heritage Bank has been put on notice that [...]

B.E.W.U. Awaiting B.E.L.'s Response to Proposed Agreement
Exactly one month ago, we spoke with Marvin Mora, wearing his hat as President of the BEWU. �Mora said that the union was cautiously optimistic after meeting with Minister of [...]

Sunday Afternoon RTA Leaves 3 Men Injured
A near-fatal traffic mishap along the George Price Highway sometime around three-thirty p.m. on Sunday afternoon has left several persons injured.� A white Isuzu Trooper driven at the time by [...]

Eaton Belisle Arraigned for Double Fatality on Phillip Goldson Highway
Eaton Belisle, a Belize City bus driver is identified as the driver of a Mercedes Benz which collided into a Chevy pickup truck which caused the loss of life of [...]

2 Youths Remanded for Aggravated Assault
Tonight, two of three Belize City youths, Dwayne Evelyn and Lloyd Leslie Junior are on remand at the Belize Central Prison accused of committing an aggravated assault with a firearm [...]

Police Nab 11 Immigrants in Orange Walk
Eleven undocumented Salvadoran nationals are tonight the involuntary guests of the Immigration Department after they were picked up in the Orange Walk district. According to Police, they were conducting a [...]

I.L.O. Facilitates Workshop in Belize City
A national bipartite workshop facilitated by the International Labour Organization (ILO) in partnership with the Caribbean Employers' Confederation (CEC) and the Caribbean Congress of Labour (CCL) was held today at [...]

G.O.B. Certified in Information Security Management
The Government of Belize has received a certification from the International Organization for Standardization for meeting the universal requirements of information security management.�� The yearlong program commenced in August 2014 [...]

Weekend Sporting Highlights With James Adderley
Good evening, I'm James Adderley and this is Sports Monday.   Fresh off the scoreless draw against Gallos Blanco of Queretero, Verdes FC got back to tending its business in [...]

CTV3

St. Francis Credit Union Assists Students To Further Their Education
On Saturday while members of the La Inmaculada Credit Union were busy at the Special Meeting, members and staff of the Saint Francis Xavier Credit Union in Corozal were engaged in a totally different activity. The management of the institution celebrate their annual back to school initiative by awarding students school grants. The program is one the institution is proud of says General Manager, Rafael Dominguez. "This student grant actually we started in 2008 for this year we have an increment of students from 335 last year to 475 students that qualified for the students grant, throughout the district of Corozal the students from what we can say Corozal Community College, Escuela Mexico, Chunox, Adventist College and we even have participating other members that travel to Orange Walk to Muffles, Technical and even to Belize City, St. Catherine, Palotte High School and also for those in the island we have members that qualify also for that including the ITVET students."

Possible Air Route From Chetumal To Belize Announced By Mexican Media
Mexico's ambassador in Belize, Quesnel Carlos Melendez, in speaking with the Mexican press said that they are seeking a new air route from Chetumal to Belize, especially since Belize already has established air routes to Cancun and Merida. Here is a report from Notivision in Chetumal.

Deputy Commision Of Police Being Sued By Family Of Yolanda Consuelo Valencia
Approximately one year after Deputy Commissioner of Police, Miguel Segura was involved in a traffic collision that killed a woman; her family has filed a suit to get compensated for damages suffered in the incident. Viewers may recall that on Saturday August 16th 2014 around 5:30am, Segura was driving a police issued Nissan Pathfinder to his home in Benque Viejo when he crashed head on into a taxi which was heading to San Ignacio. The collision happened just outside Succotz Village and the female market vendor who was in the passenger seat, Yolanda Valencia, died on impact, while the driver suffered multiple injuries. Segura is being sued by Guadalupe Valencia who is seeking damages for negligence in her daughter's death. The mother is also seeking to recover monies for Valencia's funeral expenses, as well as loss of income since her daughter's earnings were used to defray various expenses. And while Segura remains on interdiction, probably the most damning evidence against him is a cell phone video, which went viral on Social media. Viewers may recall that the video was captured shortly after the accident and it shows Segura in a white shirt and uniform pants, first putting his pistol into his left pocket. Segura then nonchalantly pulls out a cigarette, takes a puff, and then goes to pull up his pants - which was unbuttoned. What makes the video most jarring is that all this is happening ten feet from where the accident victim 54-year-old Yolanda Consuelo Valencia lay dead in the taxi. Guadulpe Valencia has attained the services of Attorney Kareem Musa.

Guatemalan Authority Seek To Investigate President Otto Perez
Last Friday Guatemala's Attorney General sought to impeach Guatemalan President Otto Perez over a corruption scandal that led to the arrest of his former vice president, deepening a government crisis ahead of presidential elections next month. Following months of investigation which included some 89,000 telephone taps, 6,000 emails and seventeen raids, prosecutors and a powerful U.N.-backed anti-corruption body known as the CICIG moved against Perez. A report from Reuters says that quote, "Attorney General Thelma Aldana told a news conference it was "highly probable" that taped telephone conversations of people involved in the customs racket referred to Perez and ex-Vice President Roxana Baldetti, who stood down in May," unquote.

Scotia Banks Awards Educational Grants To Twelve Students
This afternoon Scotia Bank handed out checks to 12 primary school students at their Main Street branch in Orange Walk Town. The checks were for three hundred dollars each and are education grants to help the students and their parents pay fees and buy books for the upcoming school year. The money is from the Scotia Bank Education Fund which was originally an initiative of the bank of Nova Scotia but it is now a commitment of Scotia staff. Today we spoke with Manager, Gilberto Magana, who told us that the students were selected based on merit and need. "We have given out around eight hundred scholarships country wide and every year is about 70 to 75 grants of $300 each for and they are selected on the base of need but also on merit so it is a combination of both we go to schools every year to target different school in the district and we speak to the principal and to the teachers to help select the children and we provide them with applications and they submit eight or nine applications every year and then we do the final selection, we believe that is the best way because especially in the rural areas the teachers and the principals would be the ones that would most know and gladly we are able to help and as I mentioned the introduction we know that there is need in the education sector at all levels primary and up to University level where things get even more expensive."

Former Corozal PUP Mayor Passes
Cornelio Acosta - to the young his name may not ring a bell but to the older folks especially from Corozal, they may remember that he took office as the Mayor of Corozal in 1997 to 1999. The well-known politician who served Corozalenos as Mayor under the People's United Party passed away on Saturday at his home after he suffered a massive heart attack. Today he was laid to rest at 3:00p.m but there is no doubt that his memory will live on. Standard Bearer Gregorio Garcia recalls that Acosta's support and work contributed to encouraging him in becoming the standard bearer of Corozal Bay. "We express our heartfelt condolences to the family and he was a big part of us and especially he is a big reason why I am here and if we mourn as a party as a community for Cornelio Acosta and so many others who have passed before him, if you look at the wall here at the PUP office we have other a lot of great Mayors some have passed an some are still here and it is a hard thing but one of the attributes that Mr. Acosta has is definitely his passing will have an impact in our campaign and he will be missed totally but one thing with him is that he was always teaching and definitely we can't have any other person taking his place because of that he has always shared information and very well known for past experiences where we can learn form and he was always adjusting, he was adamant about party unity and adamant about us hitting the ground and doing the things right here in Corozal Bay so Cornelio will be missed and we want to thank him for all what he has done for this community for the people of Corozal and for the People's United Party."

LOVE FM

La Inmaculada Credit Union holds special general meeting
The much anticipated meeting of the membership of the La Inmaculada Credit Union took place on Saturday. The board of directors was forced to call the special general meeting after over one thousand members signed a petition demanding answers. Arturo Cant�n reporting� "Saturday's meeting was highly anticipated and attended by over 1,000 member owners of [�]

Member says meeting left a lot to be desired
Dave Espadas has been one of the members at the forefront of the movement and calls Saturday's meeting invalid. David Espadas - Member, LICU "And today's meeting you didn't need to come here it was all in the media and they went against one of the credit union's bylaws, I think it is article seven [�]

Former GM says matter will be settled in court
As was reported earlier, the former general manager Yolanda Gomez was not allowed to address the gathering. Following the meeting Gomez spoke with the press. She was asked to comment on the allegations made against her. Yolanda Gomez - Former, General Manager "Definitely I deny all of them and the president actually claimed that the [�]

Police detain one man, seek two others for teenager's murder
Harry Arzu reporting� "Dangriga police have one person in custody and are looking for two others in connection with the shooting death of a teenager during a home invasion at mile 26.5 on the Hummingbird Highway that occurred last Friday. Love News spoke with the officer in charge of the Southern Formation Sr. Superintendent Ralph [�]

ILO conducts tripartite workshop
Private sector representatives as well as those representing different unions in Belize shared their thoughts on social and economic policy development, during a National tripartite Workshop that was held this morning at the Radisson Fort George Hotel and Marina in Belize City. The workshop was facilitated by the International Labor Organization as part of a [�]

Shooting victim says Police has it all wrong
Last Friday Senior Superintendent of Police, Chester Williams called a press conference and told the media that 16 year old Mark Phillips was shot by his friend after they were reportedly waiting on their target. Chester said Phillips is known to police and is from the George Street Gang. Today, Phillips disputed William's version of [�]

Police detain illegal immigrants
Orange Walk police have detained a group of illegal immigrants. According to information reaching Love News, while on patrol Saturday morning near the junction of the Phillip Goldson Highway and the Chan Pine Ridge cut-off, they noticed a group of persons walking on the dirt road. They intercepted the group and questioned them about their [�]

Belizean woman says they were attacked in Melchor de Mencos
On Sunday, Diana Trapp and a group of Belizeans had their regular excursion across the border to Melchor de Mencos. However, this trip was not like the previous ones. Trapp told Love News at the end of their trip before heading back to the border, they got into an altercation. Diana Trapp "I took an [�]

Is Ray Davis out as senator for the unions?
The last time we heard about Senator Ray Davis is when the Second Vice President of the National Trade Union Congress of Belize, Audrey Matura Shepherd, publicly expressed that he would no longer represent the unions in the Senate. That was a few months ago and today we got an update from the President of [�]

Labor Commissioner updates on negotiations with Belize Energy Workers Union
The Ministry of Labor has been assisting in the negotiations between the Belize Energy Workers Union, BEWU, and the Belize Electricity Limited, BEL. As we have reported, members of the union are unhappy and are asking for an eight percent increase. Minister of Labor Godwin Husle met with both parties on August 7 but since [�]

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Cesar Romero wanted for motorcycle theft
The San Ignacio Police Department is requesting the public's assistance in locating Cesar Romero, a resident of Santa Cruz area Santa Elena Town, who escaped from officers after stealing a motorcycle. Romero is wanted on the strength of an arrest warrant, issued for the crime of "theft of a motorcycle" [�]

Scotia Bank Orange Walk branch gives back
12 primary school students from San Felipe and Progresso villages were awarded with scholarships thanks to the Scotia Bank Education Fund. A small ceremony at their Main Street Branch in Orange Walk was the venue for which the cheques of 300 hundred dollars each were given out. [�]

Judge a man by his results
Look at a man like Abraham Lincoln, perhaps the greatest president of the United States. He had little formal education and grew up in a harsh frontier environment. As a young man he liked to take apart machines and put them back together. He was practical to [�]

Guatemala's President Otto Perez Molina: "I will not resign"
Speaking to his nation on television, Guatemalan President Otto Perez Molina insists he had no link to a customs bribery scandal, had not received money from same and thus will not stand down from his presidency, which expires next January. The former military leader, according to the BBC, insisted that his [�]

2015 -2016 school year commences September 1st, 2015
There will be 182 days of school for Government-run and grant-aided pre and primary schools for the 2015-2016 school year, which commences on Tuesday, September 1 and ends on Friday, June 24, 2016. The official calendar presented by the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports, lists official activity and holiday [�]

Primer on Guatemalan claim
The Belize Guatemala territorial dispute has remained unresolved since the 19th century, about a hundred and fifty years, and counting. It is, arguably, more in the Belizean public domain than ever before. More nongovernmental organizations have spoken out against resolving Guatemala's unfounded claim at the International Court of Justice, a [�]

Minister Castillo plans to continue his career in politics as 'adviser'
He stepped aside for Belize City Mayor Darrell Bradley as Caribbean Shores standard bearer in April, but Minister of State Santiago Castillo Jr has told reporters he is not quite done with politics yet. As he winds down his only term in office, Castillo says he has told Prime Minister [�]

Caye Caulker police seizes weed from water taxi
More than 1,000 grams of cannabis were discovered and labeled as "Found Property" in Caye Caulker on Saturday, August 22nd. Police discovered two parcels wrapped in plastic bags on a water taxi, containing 1,140 grams of cannabis. The drugs were then transported to the station and no one was charged [�]

Ten illegal Immigrants detained in Orange Walk
Authorities in Orange Walk Town have detained ten illegal immigrants over the weekend and today, the men, women, and children remain under lock down. According to authorities, on Saturday morning while on patrol near the Come and Go Gas Station, they observed several Hispanic persons walking with [�]

Blogs

Get Expert, Insider Advice on Exploring Belize
Living in San Pedro, on Belize's Ambergris Caye, I'm a bit spoiled. It offers spectacular Caribbean Sea activities and lifestyle options. So I don't typically need to take a vacation to anywhere else in Belize. But I recently spent a wonderful week checking out Placencia and it far exceeded my expectations. Each morning I woke to find a calm, glistening sea, it's surface smooth as glass�a delightful way to start the day! Much has changed on the Placencia Peninsula in the last number of years, so if you're thinking of adding Placencia to your list of places to visit in Belize, I'm going to share some of my travel tips. Since the Placencia Peninsula is 17 miles long and rather spread out you'll need a car to get around. To save time, many tourists fly directly from Belize International airport to Placencia, rather than drive there, which takes an extra day.

San Pedro Belize Fishing: A Quick Guide for Tourists
San Pedro Belize fishing is one of the most popular tourist activities in the country. Read through this San Pedro Belize fishing guide to help you determine the best places to get great catches. Fishing is great throughout the coast of Belize, from Rocky Point on Ambergris Caye to the Punta Icacos Lagoon and Port Honduras of Toledo. Any of the numerous rivers that empty into the Caribbean along the coasts of Belize can guarantee a daily catch. Many of your boatmen and guides speak English so learning where and what to fish should not be a problem. The waters that surround Ambergris Caye abound with a wide variety of saltwater fishing, while the island boosts some of the best fishing guides in all of Belize. Most types of fish, including tarpon and bone fish, can be caught all throughout the year. Within just 15 minutes of leaving the dock, you can start fishing in the tidal flats, or head on to blue waters hundreds of feet deep.

In Mexico, Crime Is Bigger Than a Crime Boss
The July 11 escape of the notorious Sinaloa crime boss, Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman Loera, from a maximum-security prison in Mexico has drawn considerable Mexican and international media attention. While the brazen and elaborate nature of the escape will add to the lore already surrounding Guzman, the escape itself carries little significance for organized crime in Mexico - though it will place a momentary strain on coordination between U.S. and Mexican law enforcement. The forces that drive the evolution of organized crime and their impact on society in Mexico are simply greater than any single crime boss.

9 Maya Site Maps Of Belize
Belize is synonymous with pristine; with unspoilt; with Mother Natures best kept secret; with "the nicest people on the planet"; with ancient Maya Cities. Yes, all of the above! When people visit us in our little space on the planet they are absolutely blown away that we have much more than awesome beaches and absolutely splendid places to stay there. They are blown away by the amazing jungle and treks through them and the adventure that sit in wait for them to push the button. We have realised that there is a tremendous amount of reverence that people who visit us pay to the ancient Maya cities that sit in the jungle and coastal settings of our country. Thousands of years of history waiting to be told and we cannot wait to offer the stories to everyone. The following is a listing of small maps for your use when you come visit us to and decide to go to one or more of our Maya Cities.

Always So Many Things to Do in Belize
I was very excited when my friends Mark and Andrea from Las Vegas told me were coming to San Pedro to visit. As a countdown to their arrival date approached I tried to get as much work done as possible because I knew I probably wouldn't be working much over the course of the two weeks they were going to be here. I was ready for a break from sitting on my butt at my desk on the internet all day. There is certainly not a shortage of things to do in Belize, but even just staying in San Pedro, I never imagined how much I would actually do in that two weeks. The first week Mark was solo and he stayed for the first few days at Grand Baymen, because his brother owns a condo there and let him use it. Last year he really liked Exotic Caye Resort so he decided to move to beachfront for the latter part of his stay and for Andrea's arrival. The unit that he stayed in last year was one that was destroyed in the fire so he got one closer to the office.

International Sourcesizz

A blind eye being turned to erosion of heritage, history
Everyone sings praise for government efficiency. That is, until the radical Islamic State obliterates ancient sites like Palmyra's Baalshamin in a matter of days. The sheer brutal nature of ISIL is horrific, shocking and blunt. Bombs are just, well, downright gauche. After all, the weapon of choice to wipe away history in our so-called more "civilized" countries is decades of underfunding, cutbacks, privatization, unbridled development, and a failure to take decisive action to stop climate change. There are currently 48 properties on the UNESCO list of world heritage sites in danger. Some are there due to conflict in the Middle East, but others from a long list of other causes. This includes the Belize Barrier Reef Reserve System, threatened by "overharvesting of marine resources, coastal development, tourism, industrial development and proposed oil and gas exploration and exploitation." Or the Chan Chan Archaeological Zone in Peru -at risk due to "extreme climatic conditions" making the site "susceptible to decay and deterioration," illegal farming practices, encroaching urban and infrastructure development and more.

U.S. Naval Forces Southern Command & U.S. Fourth Fleet
Sailors and Marines deployed as an Adaptive Force Package (AFP) from USNS Spearhead (JHSV 1) wrapped up their first mission stop in support of Southern Partnership Station-Joint High Speed Vessel 2015 (SPS-JHSV 15) in Puerto Castilla, Honduras, Aug. 24. USNS Spearhead is deployed in support of SPS-JHSV 15, a U.S. Southern Command-sponsored deployment focusing on enhancing cooperative partnerships with regional maritime services and improving operational readiness for all participating services. In addition, SPS-JHSV 15 provides the opportunity for U.S. and partner nation forces to operate in the multinational environment, refine coordination, improve interoperability and demonstrate flexibility. While ashore, the AFP provided training and subject matter expert exchanges (SMEEs), conducted community relations projects and completed multiple construction projects throughout the Colon district. The AFP traveled to Honduras and sent a small detachment to Belize. During the next stop in Guatemala a small contingent will be sent to Colombia. The deployment concludes mid-October.

Videos

• Possible Air Route From Chetumal To Belize?, 1min. Mexico's ambassador in Belize, Quesnel Carlos Melendez, in speaking with the Mexican press said that they are seeking a new air route from Chetumal to Belize, especially since Belize already has established air routes to Cancun and Merida. Here is a report from Notivision in Chetumal.

• My Special Guest Mario Cooking and Periscoping Part 1, 13min. Please welcome my special guest, broadcaster Mario Ramirez as he joins me in the kitchen for a bit of light cooking and Periscoping. Mario brings a lot of energy and fun to the kitchen while learning how to cook Belizean rice and beans while streaming live on Periscope.

• Special Guest Mario Makes Belizean Fry Jacks Part 2, 21min. Mario Ramirez, broadcaster for Fox 11 continues his visit with us in the Bare Pantry Kitchen. Watch as he does a bang up job with making Fry Jacks. He also share with us his crazy work schedule and how he looks so good all the time camera.

• Meredith College: Belize Healing Project, 4.5min. This past summer students from Meredith College went to the country of Belize, Central American with the college's Office of the Chaplain. The goal was to carry out a number of sustainable, educational projects that would have lasting benefits to the adults and children in this country. One of the projects took place at the George Price Center, teaching a healing curriculum about trauma recovery to adult orphanage workers.

• crocs feeding caye caulker belize, 2min.

• Diving in Belize, 19min. Diving off the Belize Aggressor on Deep South Scuba's dive trip to Belize, November 2007.

• Earth Bag Home in Belize, 11min.

• Belize, 4.5min. Snoorkowanie w okolicach Caye Culker w Belize. kwiecień 2014.

• Link Copied to Clipboard
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Cayo Espanto
    Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
    More Links
    Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
    Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 261 guests, and 0 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Forum Statistics
    Forums44
    Topics79,199
    Posts500,011
    Members20,460
    Most Online7,413
    Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
    BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
    BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
    BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
    and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.