Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#50711 - 03/03/02 05:22 PM wedding @ Journey's End
skinny dipper Offline
We are arriving on AC 4/6/02 and staying 9 days. We are getting married at Journey's End resort and wanted to know as much as we can about the resort and its locality. Are golf cart rentals a good idea from this resort?

#50712 - 03/03/02 06:58 PM Re: wedding @ Journey's End
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
Golf cart rental wouldn't do you much good from Journey's End, as it is 4 or 4 1/2 miles north of town and there is no easy golf cart path south.

--Lan Sluder
Lan Sluder/Belize First

#50713 - 03/09/02 09:35 AM Re: wedding @ Journey's End
sweetjane Offline
here's my JE photos from 8/00:

best of luck. the grounds there are just breathtaking. say hi to the iguana & blue heron for me

#50714 - 03/09/02 05:06 PM Re: wedding @ Journey's End
skinny dipper Offline
Thanks so much for your photos and your reply! I had seen some pictures from about 5 years ago and was a little disappointed but your pictures made me feel so much better! Did you book all your excursions through the staff at Journey's End? I had a response from another message that they were a little reckless.
Thanks again!

#50715 - 03/10/02 12:38 PM Re: wedding @ Journey's End
sweetjane Offline
sorry, we did not 'excursion' that trip. i had two little ones back home, and it was strictly r&r. frank dove with steve everyday & was very happy. others did trips and were fine. you can book a trip with any operation on the island and they will pick you up. you do not have to go with who they pick for you.

also, the grounds were gorgeous, but the rooms coulda used updating. the staff was very friendly & nice.

#50716 - 03/11/02 01:10 PM Re: wedding @ Journey's End
Rio Offline
My boyfriend and I stayed at Journey's End at the last week of February. The staff is very friendly and helpful. NEW management apparently. Kent, Angie, Roy, Marlon, and Melissa were all very helpful and nice. We toured the entire island and found the grounds at JE one of the prettiest by far. The vegetation, beach and palm trees are very beautiful and well kept. Some of the resorts are pretty barren with only sand and a few palm trees. I think you made an allright choice. We did learn alot, the hard way, being first time visitors to Ambergris. First, you DO NOT need to book trips through the resort. In fact you can use the same outfit simply by booking yourself in town. LESS money. JE charged us $25 per person for the Lamanai excursion, than if we had simply booked ourselves in town. We went with Tanisha and the trip was excellent. If you're going to spend a day in SanPedro toodling around... might as well book yourself. I talked to Melissa, the very sweet new tour person there at JE and she really didn't have a good answer. They gave us two t-shirts, big deal, with the booking. Cabanas are neat, right on the beach. Could use updating. We stayed at the one on the end closest to the water, nice big deck and private, try to request it if you go there. Absolutely a must to be right on the beach front. Staff friendly, fun and helpful. Laid back. Food --good, Susan was cooking the week we were there and she did a fine job. Not a lot of variety on the menu, but really good food. Had something different each night. If you're gonna dive or snorkel--Do it when you can, the weather changes. We had a lot of wind, rough seas, and waited for three days to snorkel. Could not go. That part really bummed me out. So go when you can. One night we took the water ferry north to Mata Chica for dinner. Beautiful place in a bohemian up-scale kind of way. Food was spendy, but nice for a special change. The water ferry back at 10:30 was scary, we had a very rude captain who litterally almost killed us all on the boat. No recourse. That was our only unfortunate experience. Walked down the beach to Capricorn one day. Wonderful food, atmosphere, service. Go there if you can. Make a reservation if you want to have dinner. That would be a NICE place to stay for a few days. Quiet and only three cabanas. We liked Journey's End alot. Met some fun people that we ended up spending alot of time with. It's big enough so you don't feel totally alone and secluded, but small enough that you have plenty of privacy if you want it. Personally I like the North end of the island for the quieter pace. You do need to take a water ferry to town if you want to go there. The south part of the island is much more populated, busy and the beaches weren't as nice except for Ramons and Victoria House. All very close together too. You;ll have a great time. I spent the next week after we got home dreaming of the palm trees blowing, that beautiful blue water and the rum punch and Belekin with lime juice. Oh it's been a depressing week. I want to go back again. Just a couple more hints... Take a use sunscreen even if its overcast, take and use insect repellent, mostly in the evening, they make a wipe that would be handy or spray, you will need it, take preventive medicines like antibiotic ointment, visine or something for your eyes, baby wipes for in your backpack or whatever for cleaning your hands after visiting bathrooms in town, maybe an antibiotic like Cipro, cold or allergy medicine, drink lots of bottled water, wear a hat or visor when you go kayaking, the sun is strong, enjoy and drink lots of beer.

#50717 - 03/11/02 01:22 PM Re: wedding @ Journey's End
Rio Offline
A couple more things. Take a day trip to Caye Caulker. You can take a water ferry there, spend a few hours walking in shops and have lunch. Great for an easy day. We rented a golf cart a couple of days from Monchos. We bargained with him and finally he reached under the counter and gave us a coupon for 50% off so got the cart for cheap. Right by the airport, close to the pharmacy, is a guy named Rico, I think... He puts together tours of all kinds. Does anybody have experience with him? He got the cart for us another day for less than they wanted at Monchos. Seemed like a good guy. We had a trip booked with him but had to cancel cause the power was out on the entire island one day and the weather was bad. Worth checking him out though. He's on the left side of the street as you leave the airport.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (joekerland, 1 invisible), 38 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,685 Topics
461,184 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.