Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#507110 - 09/02/15 04:42 PM "Pirates in Belize" Exhibition
Marty Offline

The National Institute of Culture and History through the San Pedro House of Culture invite you to the launch of the "Pirates in Belize" Exhibition on Thursday, September 3rd, 2015 at the House of Culture.

The San Pedro House of Culture inaugurated the Pirates of Belize exhibit on Thursday, September 3, 2015, that includes educational information on how pirates and the Baymen of Belize played an important role in the early settlement of the country.

Large posters, artifacts and decorative displays with information on Belize’s early settlers, pirates and the Baymen are on showcase at the House of Culture as part of the country’s September Celebrations in honor of The Battle of St. George’s Caye and Belize’s Independence.

CLICK HERE for the rest of the story and more pictures in the Ambergris Today
`

#507250 - 09/07/15 05:39 PM Re: "Pirates in Belize" Exhibition [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Aye, thar be treasures a plenty on Ambergris Caye
My carefully crafted plan for retirement now includes snorkeling on the Great Mayan Reef and looking for loose pirate treasure. Yo. Ho ho. That, and a bottle of rum. Forgive me if I’m expressing my inner Jack Sparrow but I’ve been reading up on shipwrecks along the Belize reef system and pirate activity in the 1600s and 1700s. Last Thursday night I dropped by the San Pedro House of Culture for the debut of its latest presentation, “Pirates in Belize.” You know, looking for some tips on where the treasure might be buried here on Ambergris Caye. Seems like there were quite a few pirates and buccaneers plying these waters. And why not? Everything about Belize worked in their favor — treacherous waters, the barrier reef, lots of little islands around which to play hide and seek. They just had to sit back and wait for gold-laden Spanish fleets to sail north from South America and then they’d spring out like rottweilers, pillage the ships and sink ‘em where they sat.

Pirates of Belize exhibition opened at San Pedro House of Culture
At the official opening, Guillermo “Mito” Paz, Director of the SPHC, welcomed everyone in attendance and invited them to tour the exhibit. “Today’s exhibition is very educational, since it deals with the foundation of our country which is very much thanks to the pirates and the Baymen. The Baymen were this group of English men that came and settled in Belize between the 1600 and 1700’s. These were the individuals that fought against the Spaniards, who at that time ruled most of the Western Hemisphere. The Spaniards colonized what is now Mexico, Central and South America, except for Belize,” said Paz. He then recited a story about how Belize got its name from the Buccaneer Peter Wallace and how the pirates used to attack the Spanish ships that were loaded with gold heading back to Spain. “With this exhibition we pay tribute to the Baymen who decided to stay and defend the settlement of what is now Belize, when the Spaniards were coming to take over the settlement. We also pay tribute to the free slaves that joined the Baymen from Flowers Bank in that historic battle for our freedom,” stated Paz. Before the crowd was invited to see the exhibit, Paz mentioned that there are treasures buried on the island among shipwrecks of Spanish galleons, in areas such as Rocky Point, Palmeros, and Mata area. He indicated that some of the ancient boat anchors that can be seen in some of the island’s resorts and restaurants are evidence of the presence of Baymen and Spaniards that travelled our coasts.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,016 Topics
462,196 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.