Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#507173 - 09/04/15 10:26 PM Bridge
FlyingRiki Offline
Has anyone figured out why, with all the fees collected to use it, the bridge is always under repair? Seems like a good opportunity for a good builder to replace it with something well built and charge enough to pay it off in 10 years or so and maintain it.
This one seems like a joke that costs too much and is always screwed up or needing repair.
Did some politician's relative build it? Where do the fees go?
What would it take to do it right? New politicians? Or just some common sense?
I've built more than a few bridges, would love to see this silly thing done right!

#507174 - 09/04/15 11:49 PM Re: Bridge [Re: FlyingRiki]
ScubaLdy Offline
The bridge was built to trans port golf carts only.
Take only pictures leave only bubbles

#507177 - 09/05/15 06:15 AM Re: Bridge [Re: FlyingRiki]
Diane Campbell Offline
That darned Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco is always under repair too.

#507184 - 09/05/15 08:37 AM Re: Bridge [Re: FlyingRiki]
Shyboy Offline
After seeing a picture in this forum of what the bridge replaced, I am thankful that we have this to use; even with the stupidity of insisting on stopping and paying each time. I used to buy 8 tickets at a time and peel them off as I went past.
I don't feel like a newbie anymore when I can speak of a previous practice.
A little known fact... Women who are overweight tend to live longer than men who mention it...

#507185 - 09/05/15 08:38 AM Re: Bridge [Re: FlyingRiki]
champion Offline
He does have a valid point. With the road north well underway, more resorts will be able to transport goods and passengers via the road. Saving both money and time. A proper bridge for his should be in the planning.
Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol

#507186 - 09/05/15 08:46 AM Re: Bridge [Re: FlyingRiki]
champion Offline
And, on another note, there is no toll to use the road, why should there be a toll for the bridge? Common taxation should be put in place. Everyone pays without the hassle at the bridge.
Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol

#507189 - 09/05/15 12:28 PM Re: Bridge [Re: FlyingRiki]
elbert Offline
I think Barry loaned the money to build the bridge and the toll is for those who use it to pay back the loan.
The Dive Shops Daily Blog

#507253 - 09/07/15 01:22 PM Re: Bridge [Re: FlyingRiki]
Safaristar Offline
The simplest way to replace the bridge would be to use railroad flatcars. I was near the epicenter of the '89 San Francisco earthquake. A lot of bridges collapsed. Many were quickly replaced by dropping in Railroad Flatcars at a fraction of the cost and a fraction of the time needed to build a new bridge. They are massively built with load carrying abilities up to 202,000 pounds and up to 89' long:

Just build the appropriate ramp on either side to the height you want and drop in place with a crane. (obviously a little more work than that):

Here is a picture of a locomotive sitting on a flatcar bridge:

Go to google or youtube and enter 'rairoad flatcar bridge'. Tons of info out there.

#507257 - 09/07/15 02:04 PM Re: Bridge [Re: Safaristar]
ragman Offline
There is nothing wrong structurally with the present bridge that I'm aware of. It may have been built narrow to accommodate golf carts but it is very rugged. The problems have been with the bridge surface and with erosion from water probably, on the roadway leading to the bridge. I did an informal quick inspection of it a few years back when part of the surface was off for repairs and saw only minor rust, no metal deflection or stress cracks. Now I'm not a bridge inspector but I've been around long enough to spot obvious deficiencies and I didn't see any nor have I heard of any. Having said that I don't believe the extraordinary overloaded trucks are doing the bridge over time any good but normal vehicle weights don't seem to be a problem.

Another poster on this message board at the time who seemed to have a very good knowledge or road and bridge construction claimed that the bridge design was way over built and that that design was used by the military to transport tanks over rivers and such. I believe him. Do you know what tanks weight, the old WWII tanks were about 40,000 lbs.

Maybe a second bridge along side and make them each one direction might be an option some where down the line but replacing a good bridge, if my assessment is correct, because of road surface and road approach problems seems foolish.

The toll is another matter. It is my understanding the loan was paid off long ago but of course once government gets use to the money, well you know the rest. Maybe with more economic activity in the North the tolls would be dropped and incorporated into the property taxes which I'm sure are going to rise. I'm very surprised by the continuation of the road further north than the original construction and overall I believe it will be good for San Pedro but not without problems. Sewer and water can't be too far off but I've heard zero about it lately. For better or worse (depending on your opinion) the Island is a changing.
Somewhere on a beach in Belize

#507303 - 09/08/15 12:34 PM Re: Bridge [Re: ragman]
Safaristar Offline
A 7news article from 2006 about the bridge:

Some items of interest from the article:

1)"build in just four months by 30 men for $750,000"
2)"has a capacity of twenty to twenty five tons with a safety factor of 30% so that means it can hold up to 30 to 35 tons." (when new of course)
3) "Bowen is providing the financing for 5 years at a rate of 12%"

Just a side note: a tank may weigh 40,000 pounds (I don't know), but a large tandem axel dump truck can easily have a GVW in the 60,000 pound range, and the trucks can comfortably handle loads well past the GVW.
Are these type of trucks using the bridge? I don't know, as I don't go to the bridge often. I have seen loaded trucks driving in town that are obviously well past their GVW, but I don't know where they are going. The bridge?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Alex Woodby, 1 invisible), 48 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,636 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,727 Topics
461,281 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.