Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RobertJ Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Quintana Roo: No More Sargasso Sea

Quintana Roo has tried out the PVC kelp barrier and it works. The barrier apparently stops the kelp from reaching shore and has no effect at all on turtles. Now, they have moved ahead to Playa Del Carmen and hope to have all 220 kilometers of PVC kelp barrier in place by the end of September. From then on, the kelp will be picked up by offshore ships designed specifically for that purpose. Of course, Yucatan is watching, as is the rest of the world. A PVC pipe boom is a simple and inexpensive fix for one of the most irritating inconveniences the sea has to offer and it would be wonderful to know that it is being properly recycled before reaching the coast. And of course, tourists and residents alike will be glad to be able to enjoy those beautiful beaches again.

Do you have photos and other details?

R
RobertJ Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Nope....
Stay tuned. (Meanwhile, a word from our sponsors....:)

Last edited by RobertJ; 09/08/15 09:44 AM.
D
D
Wouldn't it hinder boat traffic?

DC

R
RobertJ Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Well, I can't provide answers to both of your questions, but I'm sitting here in the States and have limited access to facts that should be available to those who live there.

Get to it and get back to me.

Last edited by RobertJ; 09/09/15 08:12 AM.
R
ron Offline
R
Playa del Carman is not exactly close to San Pedro and is also in Mexico not Belize. Information here doesn't travel so well. You probably get better info there.

R
RobertJ Offline OP
OP Offline
R
There are, presumably, folks (Marty?) who have access to official channels....
....those channels could involve discussions resulting in mutually beneficial plans, such as, oh, let's say,.......sargasso control for Belize and Mexico?
Sooooo..... nobody's talking to Mexico?

Why do I get the feeling that you ex-pat residents are too busy lounging and could care less about the sargasso problem? (Let the natives handle it, as long as I get my Mojito on time)

You guys are THERE.....no one is closer to the problem than you ....nonetheless, all I've seen on this post is reasons why "it can't work".

Last edited by RobertJ; 09/09/15 09:53 AM.
S
S
Smoke some bad Sargasso this morning did you?

R
RobertJ Offline OP
OP Offline
R
An expected reply.

Obviously, no one cares.

Back to your Mojitos......

Last edited by RobertJ; 09/09/15 11:18 AM.
Pretty much everything I've read about Belizeans has indicated they are good, friendly people.

It's one of the major factors that have drawn us to exploring it. There are other factors, of course, but this was a huge one. As someone with a child with autism, it was important to us that he could be someplace kind...where he wouldn't be targeted and bullied. Likewise for myself (which I won't go into detail about).

Some expats do care. I really do care. Our whole family does, even if we've never set foot in Belize or anywhere else. We care about culture and authenticity and nature and natural resources and most of all, we care about people.

It's a little disheartening to see people get angry or respond with blistering comments when, really, some of us are just looking to either help or get information. To be honest, one of the main reasons we have not even considered the northern areas of BZ is because we aren't really interested in being in an 'expat' community...it'd be like leaving someplace we don't want to be, just to go to another place that's exactly the same.

I hope at least someone out there knows or can understand my posts/comments are truly just trying to be helpful and I am absolutely open to correction and information...that's how we learn.

But categorizing everyone as ex pats lounging around or lazy people who just want to live in paradise... it's kind of hurtful.

Maybe some people will read this and roll their eyes. That's okay. It doesn't take away from the sincerity with which I write it.

Best to all.

Take only what you need; return more than you take.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.