Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Letter to the Editor: Health benefits of walking
To the Editor of The San Pedro Sun: The lack of walking has become a major health issue throughout the world. We San Pedranos are no exemption. Just a few years ago, we all used to walk much more. Nowadays everybody seems to drive and very little walking is involved in our daily lives. Health Organizations and doctors throughout the world recommend that every person should walk at least 30 minutes a day. The benefits are: • Reduce overweight and body fat • Improve muscle strength, trim of waist line, better physical appearance and overall beauty • Reduce the risk of coronary heart disease • Improve blood pressure and blood sugar levels • Improve blood lipid profile

Wolfe’s Woofer: Homework
“Hello, Melody,” I said, when I answered the phone. “What’s up?” “It’s Davin,” she said. “He needs some help with his English homework. I tried but Davin is one of those kids that needs a demonstration to understand something. I told him to ride his bike over to your house and get some help.” “Hi, Grandpa.” “Hey, sweet boy,” I called from the porch when Davin arrived. “I understand you need some help with your homework.” “I’m really having trouble with one thing, Teacher told us to explain the difference between annoyance, exasperation and anger. My mom understands it but she can’t explain it to me.” “This is easy,” I told him. “I’ll show you the difference.” I turned up the volume on my telephone and laid it on the table. I chose a number at random and dialed it.

Police Report
Found Drugs: On Friday, September 25th at 11:45AM, acting on Special Branch (SB) Intelligence, a team of Criminal Investigation Branch and SB personnel headed by Cpl #1043 Allan Woods visited Tropic Air Cargo section located on Sea Star Street where a black plastic bag was retrieved. The bag was sent from Corozal Town to San Pedro Town.
Aggravated Burglary: On Friday, September 25th around 7:50PM, police responded to an Aggravated Burglary at a house located on Lion Street, San Pedro Town. Upon arrival, police noted 29-year-old Paul Jex of DFC area sitting on the ground. Alden Augustine then reported that around7:30PM he arrived at home and Jex entered his apartment pointing a firearm at him and demanding his belongings.

Doctor Love: Reprimanding a child
Dear Doctor Love, When I was young my father abused me to the point where I have very low self esteem. These issues have plagued me for years. The abuse was physical and mental. My dad was not a bad man but he was a terrible father. I have two sisters and three brothers and we were punished and reprimanded for the smallest things. Looking back now I can see that the things we did that got punished are very acceptable in most families. We got scolded in public and sometimes smacked for just doing things that kids do. I never saw the same kind of thing happen to my friends. I have a wonderful fiancé and one thing we have agreed on is that we will be lenient on our children so they don’t grow up warped. I can’t afford to go to Belize City for counseling. The boat trip and losing work makes it too expensive. What can I do to get over this? /s/ Traumatized

Ambergris Today

Islanders Participate in National River and Beach Cleanup 2015
The San Pedro Town Council assembled it’s crews and personnel to organize a island coastal clean up day as part of a national River and Beach Cleanup 2015 campaign that took place on Saturday, October 3, 2015. Joining in were several businesses and individuals who took charge of one of seven groups that were organized to cover several section of the beach starting from the Mosquito Coast Park, located about 2 miles south of San Pedro Town, all the way down to the Boca del Rio Park. Two groups were in charge of cleaning up underwater areas that included the Mexico Rocks Dive Site and the Boca Del Rio cut. In North Ambergris Caye, Hol Chan Marine Reserve took up the task of cleaning up the coastal area at the Turtle Nesting Beach of Rocky Point. Assisting their staff were students from San Pedro Junior College and San Pedro High School

Island Tour Guides Freshen up on New Regulations as Hol Chan Marine Reserve Expands
The Hol Chan Marine Reserve started conducting its annual “Responsible Tour Guide Seminars” for 2015 last week. The sessions serve to inform and refresh tour guides on the rules and regulations of the Hol Chan Marine Reserves and presents a forum whereby they can provide feedback on management issues. Hol Chan invited all dive shops and free-lance tour guides from San Pedro and Caye Caulker to participate. Important for this year will be the recently amended Hol Chan Legislation (Statutory Instrument No. 17 of 2015) that includes the expansion of the protected area. This year’s seminars commenced in mid September and will run into October. The management and staff at Hol Chan stress the importance of each tour guide using the Marine Reserve to attend these sessions, as they will be presenting new boundaries, rules and regulations of the recent expansion of the Hol Chan Marine Reserve.

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

Human Resources - Hiring Smart Workshop
Workshop Date: October 8th, 2015 9am to 12pm. Presented by: Mrs Nilda Riverol Manager, SBDCBelize, BELTRAIDE Cost: $30.00 LOCATION: BELTRAIDE OFFICE, BELMOPAN. The best predictor of future performance is past performance - get the most out of your interviews! Rely on expertise not intuition to evaluate the best candidate for the job. This course is designed to provide a hands-on experience of the highly effective method of behavioral-based interviewing and candidate screening.

Coastal Cleanup 2015
San Pedro Junior College and San Pedro High School Student assist staff of the Hol Chan Marine Reserve in Coastal Cleanup 2015. Beach Cleanup was conducted at the Turtle Nesting Beach of Rocky Point, Ambergrs Caye.

Wildtracks Update: An update from the Fireburn post-release monitoring tracking crew
Rudy and his crew report a new arrival in the Fireburn reintroduced howler troops...Nicky and Hazel have a baby - making our fourth wild-born howler this year, and our third troop to have young!! Another globally endangered Yucatan black howler monkey in the Fireburn forest! Nicky, Willow and Hazel were released as a troop in 2013, and have stayed together since then, developing a well defined territory behind the Fireburn Fieldbase - Nicky has come a long way since he first came Wildtracks as a confiscated pet, delivered by Forest Department, and barely hanging on to life.

Elderly Woman Sexually Assaulted By Son-In-Law
Tonight there is a disturbing report coming out of the Corozal District as a senior citizen from the Village of San Joaquin is accusing her son-in-law of sexual assault. According to the 77 year old woman, on the 30th of September she was in front of her house in her wheelchair when she was approached by her son-in-law who took her inside her house and sexually assaulted her. Police have arrested and charged a 54 year old Guatemalan national for the crime of harm and sexual assault.

Orange Walk Police Investigates Carlos Griffith Attackers
It’s been a little over four days that Carlos “Paraquat” Griffiths was badly beaten and left for dead after an altercation with two men on Monday night. Today, relatives say his prognosis has not changed and doctors say he is not showing any signs of improvement. Griffiths suffered a fractured skull and large abrasions to the back of the head and face after getting embroiled in an argument with the two unknown Belize City men over a stool he was occupying. And while his prognosis is grim, the medical bills at the KHMH are mounting. Meanwhile, police say they have been unable to locate the men who we were told boarded a bus to Belize City shortly after the incident. Authorities say surveillance footage they acquired identified two dark skin male persons as his attackers.

PUP Not Happy With Foreign Minister's Speech At UN
The People’s United Party today issued a press release where they are reiterating their position when it comes to the Belize/Guatemala Territorial Dispute. This comes after a speech given by Foreign Minister of Belize Wilfred Elrington at the United Nations today. According to the P.U.P, in his speech Elrington, said that Belize had and we qoute “signed a Protocol to the Special Agreement between Belize and Guatemala to submit Guatemala’s Territorial, Insular and Maritime claim to the International Court of Justice.” End quote. The P.U.P states that at no point during his speech, did Elrington ever say that there must first be referenda in Belize and Guatemala, in order to approve any such submission.

Four Men Pleaded Guilty For Offence Of Possession Of Conchs During Closed Season
Today four men from the Village of Chunox in the Corozal District appeared at the Belize City Magistrate’s Court to answer to charges of possession of conch during the closed season. On September 30th, one day before the conch season was declared open, the Fisheries Department caught eight men with almost a thousand conch. Among them were Chunox residents, 36 year old Demerrel Tun who was caught with 125 conch, 22 year old Eli Tun who was in possession of 302 conch, 22 year old Roger Linarez who had 206 conch, and 41 year old Edgar Tun who was found in possession of 159 conchs. The men were caught onboard a sail boat North East of Mauger Caye in the Turneffe Atoll. We understand all four pleaded guilty to the charge of possession of conch in the closed season and were all fined $500 each plus a $5.00 cost of court fee.

Investigations Continues In Case Of Gabriel Cabrera Sr.
Yesterday we told you about a brazen daylight home invasion at the residence of Gabriel Cabrera Sr. that netted thieves over 10 thousand dollars in jewelry and cash. The incident occurred around 8:00am shortly after Julie Cabrera had open her clothes shop for business and was getting her daughter ready for school. As we reported, three men barged into their homes wielding a machete, a knife and an object which resembled a firearm and demanded for money and gold. Fearing for her life, Cabrera complied and handed the men the loot. The three men then fled using bicycles down Belize Corozal Road and made good their escape. Today, Police told us they are seeking two of the three men, which are known to them.

San Felipe Resident Charged For Aggravated Assault On Villager
A resident of San Felipe Village in Orange Walk was today arrested and charged for aggravated assault upon another villager. On Saturday 26th September at about 8:05pm, Yurian Cardona, Belizean laborer presently residing at San Felipe Village, visited the Orange Walk Police Station suffering from injuries to his face. He reported that on Friday 25th September around 10:00p.m whilst socializing at El Paso Bar located at San Felipe Village, Adiel Mojica, a resident of the same village, entered the establishment then uttered some words to him and immediately threw a bottle at him and lashed him with a wooden chair. According to Cardona, Mojica then throw him to the ground where he repeatedly punched and kicked him to his face. Cardona suffered from a broken jaw and doctors classified his injuries as grievous harm. Today, Police formally arrested and charged Adiel Mojica for the crimes of grievous harm, aggravated assault and damage to property.

Salvadorean Gang Member Detained For Illegal Entry
Apart from laying charges on the Guatemala Human Smuggler, authorities arrested a Salvadoran gang member who they believe was dangerous to society and wanted by interpol. According to authorities, on Sunday 27th September, police detained Carlos Enrique Alvarado Lopez, Salvadoran unemployed of Stains Alley Orange Walk Town for the offence of illegal entry. Further Investigation by Police revealed that Lopez was an Ex 18 Street Gang Member from El Salvador. A search at Interpol shows that Lopez is wanted in El Salvador for the offences of belonging to a criminal gang and other crimes in that country. Lopez has since been charged and an expulsion order has been issued.

Guatemalan Charged For Human Trafficking
A Guatemalan Human Trafficker has been arrested and charged for offences committed in Belize. According to the report, on Thursday 24th September at about 12:0opm, acting upon information received, the Orange Walk Police intercepted a group of (13) individuals at the BSI/ASR Booth on the Chan Pine Ridge Road near the Northern Highway. After the apprehension, the group was found to consists of (11) illegal Salvadorans, (1) legal Guatemalan (suspected human smuggler) and (1) Belizean (suspected human smuggler). Two of the Salvadorans were minors age 15 and 5 years old so they were handed over to Human Services where they remain until they are repatriated through the Salvadoran Embassy.

The Reporter

Belize to host upcoming CROSQ meeting
Belize will be the host country for the upcoming 27th meeting of the CARICOM Regional Organization for Standards and Quality (CROSQ) Council. The meeting is scheduled for October 5-8, and will be held at the Best Western Belize Biltmore Plaza. At the meeting, delegates from throughout CARICOM, will exchange program information and strategic directions as it relates to member states and the CROSQ Secretariat (specific to Quality Infrastructure) QI. The CROSQ Secretariat will discuss the forward plans for the organisation in all areas, including human and financial resources, as well as the work plans of the technical officers and their work in the member states. The event coincides with CROSQ’s annual general meeting, during which the council will hold elections to appoint new officers to its executive. CROSQ, headquartered in Barbados, is the regional centre for promoting efficiency and competitive production in goods and services, through the process of standardization and the verification of quality

“Sedi” under fire. Again!
The People’s United Party (PUP) and Citizens Organized for Liberty through Action (COLA) have publicly condemned Minister of Foreign Affairs Wilfred Elrington’s statements on Guatemala’s unfounded claim, made at the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA). Elrington, speaking at the UNGA in New York last week said that Belize had “signed a Protocol to the Special Agreement between Belize and Guatemala to submit Guatemala’s territorial, insular, and maritime claim to the International Court of Justice (ICJ).” The PUP and COLA categorized Elrington’s statements as ‘misleading’ to Belizeans and the rest of the world, because he failed to mention that before the claim is submitted to the ICJ, it must have the approval of the Belizean people by way of a referendum.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Belize: Do you want a 13th appointed senator?
Politics of Belize takes place in a framework of a parliamentary representative democratic monarchy, where by Queen Elizabeth II serves as head of state and the prime minister is the head of government, and of a multi-party system. Executive power is exercised by the government. Legislative power is vested in both the government and the Parliament of Belize.The Belize system of government is referred to as a Parliamentary Democracy, a system inherited from the British. The House of Representatives of Belize is one of two chambers of the National Assembly, the other being the Senate. It was created under the 1981 constitution. Members are commonly called “Area Representatives.” Area Representatives are elected by winning a majority of votes in their respective constituencies under the first-past-the-post system. The body is directly descended from the British Honduras Legislative Assembly created in 1954 with nine elected members. It has been expanded several times since: to 18 in 1961, 28 in 1984, 29 in 1993 and finally to 31 in 2005, where it is currently. The leader of the majority party in the Belize House typically becomes Prime Minister of Belize.

Ever Wonder How Fuel Got To the Gas Stations on Ambergris Caye?
No…neither had I. But as I was enjoying my first Conch of the season at Lily’s Treasure Chest on the beach in San Pedro… I saw a fuel barge coming in to the gas station on the ocean side. And thought it pretty interesting…in fact, fascinating to me. I had never considered how we got gas here in San Pedro. Excited I asked the guys on the Amigos Del Mar Diving dock if they too were excited. Uhhhh…no. Apparently this happens once or twice a week. AND…not only does this barge supply the gas for the station here in the front of the island (the ocean side) but also on the lagoon side. A pipe runs beneath the island.

Double collection brought great rewards
Through the joint efforts Ocean Conservancy and the Scout Association of Belize, islanders teamed up and helped them take action for a big ocean conservation clean up day – an annual event. The goal was to clean up as much water trash as possible and keep our aquatic environment clean and healthy. I got a participants from Scout leader Martin who was involved in the organizing. On Ambergris Caye, in addition to the organizers, he listed Ecologic Divers, South Neighborhood Watch, The Phoenix, San Pedro Town Council, Leos Club and Cadets and took part this important event. (If your business was missed please leave comment to be added to the list) Originally we were supposed to go on Ecologic Divers boat and cover Mexico Rocks area. Plans changed last minute and our group of 5 ended up joining the Seaduced crew on their boat. We set out to clean the mangrove channel area up to Osmin’s Mechanic Shop area in Boca Del Rio.

The Day of the Dead
Although, the Day of the Dead (also known as el Dia de los Muertos and Los Finados) is most prominently recognized and celebrated in Mexico, it is also very popular in many villages and towns in Belize. This is due to the fact that the tradition of celebrating the life and death of lost loved ones dates back to the ancient Maya, an indigenous culture of Belize and Central America. However, interestingly enough, this celebration is also linked to Catholicism, the primary religion that was enforced by the Europeans when they colonized the Americas. Understanding that, it is not by coincidence that the Day of the Dead is celebrated at the beginning of November coinciding with All Saints Day and All Souls Day. On the Day of the Dead, Maya and Mestizo communities across Belize unanimously get together to commemorate the life and death of their ancestors. This is done at people’s homes by decorating small tables as alters and including water, flowers, fruits, candles and portraits of their deceased. Families also make sure to have delicious traditional Belizean foods such as tamales, Bollos, Caldo de Gallina local, Chirmole and Ishpasha Atole. As for favorite alcoholic drinks, rum and tequila seem to be the popular choices.

International Sourcesizz

Univ. of Arkansas: Business Projects Information Session for the Belize Study Abroad Summer 2016
On Tuesday, Oct. 6, in WCOB 338 at 5:30 p.m., business students are invited to drop-in, eat a slice of pizza and learn about the Business Projects for the Belize Community Development Summer Program. Molly Jensen of the marketing faculty and Tim Yeager of the finance faculty in the Sam M. Walton College of Business are the program leaders for the Business Projects and will work with all business students. Jensen and Yeager will provide information on the business projects. Both lower- and upper-level business students can participate in this program and are encouraged to drop-in.

USM hosts Maya Week presentations
Last week, the Department of Anthropology and Sociology at The University of Southern Mississippi hosted Maya Week on its Hattiesburg campus. Four research presentations from numerous sites in Belize and Guatemala encompassed a free and open lecture series that took place over the course of the week. The series featured recently returned Ph.D recipients or doctoral candidates discussing their summer fieldwork findings. The first presenter, Amanda Harvey of the University of Nevada, Reno, received her master’s degree from USM in 2011. Harvey presented “Three Decades of Research at Tipu, Belize (1538-1613)” an analysis of the skeletal remains recovered from the colonial Mayan site in Belize. The 16th- and 17th-century artifacts, one of the largest and best-preserved Mayan collections, are currently curated at USM.

Da der Karibikstaat Belize im Westen direkt an Mexiko und Guatemala angrenzt, verwundert es nicht, dass sich die heutigen Bewohner genealogisch zum Teil auf die Maya zurückführen können. Neben der Mehrheit der Mestizen stellen die Nachfahren afrikanischer Sklaven, Garifunas oder Garinagus genannt, die einst von den Kleinen Antillen kamen, einen größeren Teil der Bevölkerung. Ihr spezifischer Musikstil eroberte die Inselkultur rasch. Es handelt sich dabei um chorische Gesänge, die nur von Schlagwerk, insbesondere Trommeln begleitet werden. Ihre Popularität hängt auch damit zusammen, dass sie in der Regel Musik zu Rundtänzen im Zweier- oder Dreierrhythmus darstellen. Um ein stetig weiter entwickeltes Instrument, das hier zum Einsatz kommt, handelt es sich bei einer Handrassel aus dem ursprünglich afrikanischen Flaschenkürbis, der Sisera.

• Silversides - Belize SCUBA Diving, 1min. School of Silversides at Half Moon Caye Wall in Belize.

• BPP Budget Presentation, 17min. Robert Lopez (Belize Rural South) presents the Belize Progressive Party budget for November 14, 2015 General Elections.

• Dancing in Belize, 4min.

• Voices From The Belizean Diaspora: The Sarstoon Island Crisis!, 10min. Los Angeles Belizeans are voicing their concerns about the August 16, 2015 Guatemalan military aggression against a Belizean patriotic movement called the Belize Territorial Volunteers (BTV), on the Belize Sarstoon Island that is located in Belizean territory on the Sarstoon River. The Guatemalan military oligarchy has claimed this Belizean island, and has been enforcing aggressive measures against the Belize Coast Guard and the Belize Defense Force (BDF) who patrol the area as a means of protecting Belize's sovereignty and territorial integrity. The Guatemalan Navy on August 16, 2015, blockaded the Belizean expedition that was going to to Sarstoon Island to erect the Belizean flag as a means of establishing Belize's sovereignty on the island.

• Belize Sweet Habenero Taste Test, 11min. This lil pepper is amazing in flavor and can pack a little heat. Sweet fruity hab flavor. It is a prolific producer. I rank it in a close 2nd to the White Peach flavor wise.

• Caracol in Belize, 1.5min.