Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#508134 - 10/09/15 06:33 AM Today's Belize News: October 9, 2015
Marty Offline

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Editorial: Color versus Conscience
Editorial-ImageNow that the election season is upon us we should all take the time to consider our choices. What about trying something different? Instead of voting for a party because your family has bled that color for generations, why not do a little soul searching and weigh what is important to you in a candidate. No one needs to know that you voted your conscience (not your color) on Election Day! Regardless of the party – and none are above questionable actions – does this candidate have your best interests at heart and can you trust him to make the right decisions? Will he keep his promises? Often the success of a candidate, especially an incumbent, is based on their accomplishments. What we sometimes forget to do is separate what is a good job and what goes beyond that. There are responsibilities that politicians are tasked with, and it should be expected that they fulfil those responsibilities, instead of just being happy that they actually did something. It’s like when an employee does what they are paid to do, that is expected; but it is when they go above and beyond the call of duty that they deserve the raise, or the vote of confidence. When comparing candidates, ask yourself, who is working harder? Who is keeping his promises? Is he listening to the people? Is he doing a GOOD job? Often we are just apathetically happy when an official does anything…and sometimes we give them more credit than they deserve when in reality they are just doing their job.

Hol Chan Marine Reserve host Responsible Tour Guide Seminars
San Pedro’s various tour guide establishments are benefiting from Hol Chan Marine Reserve’s Annual Responsible Tour Guide Seminars. This year, the training sessions stated from mid-September and will run through October with the aim of refreshing tour operators on the rules and regulations of Hol Chan. Among the important issues discussed in the seminars is the expansion of the marine reserve, including the new management of Mexico Rocks which now under protected status. Up to date, ten tour agencies have taken part in the seminar which is being led by Hol Chan’s Environmental Educator, Mariela Archer. “The Hol Chan Marine Reserve invites all dive shops and free-lance tour guides from San Pedro and Caye Caulker to participate in our 2015 Responsible Tour Guiding Seminars. Important for this year will be the recently amended Hol Chan Legislation (Statutory Instrument No. 17 of 2015) that includes the expansion of the protected area. It is important that each tour guide using the Marine Reserve attends these sessions, since we will be presenting the new boundaries of the recent expansion to the Hol Chan Marine Reserve,” said Archer.

San Pedro Red Cross hosts most successful Blood Drive of the Year
Monetary donations collected on the street side amounted to just over $300. These funds will benefit both BRCSP to further their outreach community programs as well as the San Pedro Cancer Society. As part of the event, BRCSP also hosted a raffle among the donors. Moncho Acosta won the opportunity to participate in a first aid training while Sandy Point Resorts won an industry first aid kit. BRCSP sends heartfelt thanks to all donors for making this blood drive so successful. A big thank you goes out to those businesses that encouraged their employees to come out and donate, and major thanks goes out to all sponsors: The Dr. Otto Rodriguez San Pedro Polyclinic II, Tropic Air, Ramon’s Village Resort, El Fogon, Marbucks, SP Hardware, Caye Coffee and Coco Loco’s. The next blood drive will be held in January 2016. Everyone is encouraged to donate, because “It’s in you to give!”

TEDx Belmopan: Changing the Conversation
Technology, Entertainment and Design – TED – began in 1984 as a conference where those three ideas merged into powerful conversation. Over the years since, the topics have become varied, and TED Talks are held in more than 100 languages. Belize held its very first TED Talk on October 1st via TEDx Belmopan, an independently run event that helps to bring the conversation to communities worldwide. Hosted under the theme ‘Changing the Conversation’, TEDx Belmopan’s main goal was to prompt discussions on Belize issues, and also the world. A powerful panel of speakers certainly inspired attendees to keep the conversation going long after the final words were shared on stage. Yasser Musa, Janelle Chanona, Tony Rath, Lisa Shoman and Khalila Enriquez sparked ideas and spoke on subjects ranging from art to journalism, feminism and photography.

Ambergris Today

Yakarelis Hernandez to Represent Belize at Miss & Mister Centroamerica Pageant
Yakarelis Hernandez, Miss San Pedro 2011, will be traveling to Leon, Nicaragua in November to represent Belize in the Miss & Mister Centroamerica Pageant 2015. The pageant brings both female and male representatives from around the Central American region and is held with the aim of promoting tourism in all participating countries, the beauty and talent of men and women of Central America. Already a beauty queen for San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Yakarelis tell Ambergris Today that she was introduced to the pageant organizer, Saul Benitez, through a mutual friend who informed her that the organizers were looking for a representative from Belize. After giving it some thought, she decided to take the opportunity. Yakarelis is scheduled to depart for Nicaragua on November 20 to partake in the preliminary events leading up to pageant night on November 28. Ambergris Today and the Belize community wishes her all the best.

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

Belize Progressive Party MEDIA INVITE
The Belize Progressive Party (BPP), cordially invites all media houses to the launching of the second cohort of Belizeans who have offered themselves to be candidates for our party. Date: 8th October 2015 Location: Belize Institute of Management (BIM) - Belize City Time: 10:00 AM END “8867 Today. 8867 Tomorrow. 8867 Forever” Belize Progressive Party Charles Leslie Jr. | Public Relations O: 822-2885 |C: 610-1733

San Pedro closings for Pan American Day
The San Pedro Town Council hereby informs the general public that its offices will be closing on Monday, October 12, 2015 in commemoration of Pan American Day. The San Pedro Town Council offices will also be closing on Friday, October 16, 2015, for nomination day for the upcoming elections. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Production Management - Analyzing Production Layout
Workshop Date: October 15th, 2015 9am to 12pm. Is to determine the location of each of the equipment required for production process. Determining the area needed for each activity and ensuring an efficient flow of materials. Including all services, materials, equipment handling and staffing required. Topics that will be covered: Definition Importance of plant layout Objectives Different methods to plan a production layout Elements that inter

International experts head to Belize for regional tech conference
A full line-up of international tech experts will gather in Belize from November 2 to 6, when Belize City plays host to a historic regional ICT development conference. Among the expert facilitators is Bevil Wooding, a founder and a director of the Caribbean Network Operators Group (CaribNOG); Guillermo Cicileo, the security, stability and resiliency coordinator at the Latin American and Caribbean Internet Addresses Registry (LACNIC); and Shernon Osepa, the manager of regional affairs for Latin America and the Caribbean at the Internet Society (ISOC). Held jointly by LACNIC and CaribNOG, the gathering will provide a space for various key actors in the Latin American and Caribbean Internet to network together and strengthen relationships. The weeklong conference will address topics ranging from cloud computing, Internet peering, IPv6, DNSSEC, RPKI, and cyber-security. "The growing importance of computer networks to Caribbean enterprise cannot be separated from the costly impact of the cyber attacks these networks constantly face. Caribbean cyber-security needs Caribbean cyber-defenders," said Wooding.

Terrible story of a robbery & animal cruelty at a children's home in Belmopan
We at the King's Children Home, is working hard to be self-sufficient to be able to grow and raise chickens and sheeps and we also have milking cows. on monday night some cow thieves came and stole our main milking cow, valued at $3,500.00 and almost kill the other one. on tuesday morning when we went to milk the cows the black and white cow was missing and the other cow was bleeding so much. the police was call and the vet to work on the other cow. our hearts are sad, and George is just crying he loves those cows so much, God words is Thou shalt not steal, but these people rob the children of their milking cow and rob from God at the same time. please pray that these people can be caught and that they can stop the stealing.

Power interruption 8:00am to 2:00pm, Saturday October 10, Belize City
Entire West Landivar, Coral Grove and Buttonwood Bay. BEL to replace utility poles carrying high voltage lines and reroute high voltage lines in Coral Grove.

Metal Haven Bash Rescheduled
The Metal Haven Bash was moved due to the election. It'll still be a great concert, and still be at Benque Rock. "Metalhaven Bash postponed to November 28th, 2015"

Channel 7

Prime Minister Barrow's Take FM Elrington's Speech
Foreign Minister Wilfred Elrington - his critics - namely COLA and the PUP have been pounding him since he spoke at the United Nations last Friday. They criticized him for what he did and didn't say in his 19 minute speech to the UN. But what does his boss, the Prime Minister think? Today he had a 25 minute press briefing at the Biltmore and we asked him about it:.. Jules Vasquez "You Foreigner Minister, should he have spent more than 30 seconds speaking about the aggressive Guatemalan behavior at the Sarstoon? Well he didn't speak to it at all. But should he have spent more than 30 seconds on the subject and should he have covered that?" Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister "I was foreign minister one time and I always knew these general assembly speeches to in the main concentrate on issues having to do with the UN's global agenda. Climate change is of course extremely high on that agenda. Now you do take the opportunity to say something about your particular circumstances and it was routine and when I gave my speeches to reassert Belizean sovereignty and to reject the unfounded Guatemalan claim. But again as I recollect I did that in a sentence or two. There is not too much to say; your claim is unfounded, we absolutely reject it, we are a sovereign independent country and we remain that way. So I don't know that it was incumbent on the minister to say very much more than he did."

PM Say's Rat Debacle Will Not Affect Pablo Marin's Electability
And while he kind of laughed and shrugged that one off at the end of the press briefing, the Prime Minister wasn't joking when he said that the entire rat debacle at the Western Regional Hospital won't affect Health Minister Pablo Marin in his division of Corozal Bay:... Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister "This business of the rat, most unfortunate, but in the larger scheme of things I don't see getting the kind of play at the constituency level in Corozal Bay, that will do any harm to Pablo Marin chances. I don't."

Prime Minister's Advisors Say The Rat Was Placed In Incubator
And while he was on the subject, the Prime Minister also repeated a theory he heard on the rat. It's one that has been gaining traction in the UDP where the rat in the incubator has been labeled as some kind of plant, that someone put it in there - where it bit a newborn baby. Today the PM referred to it tongue in cheek, but gave some credence to that very bizarre theory:.. Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister "I have spoken to several persons who claimed to be very knowledgeable and who say that the incubator is a sealed facility if you will, that a rat simply can't get into, except it cut it and there was no cut. So I am not going to offer you my own opinion. But I will tell you that there is legitimate respectable opinion from people that I consider of sound mind and sober judgement who say, who insist that rat was put in the incubator."

CWU And SSB Chairman's Back And Forth Over Uniforms
Today Social Security Board workers finally spoke out on the issue of their uniform allowance. As we have been reporting all week, the SSB workers want financial compensation for the 10 month uniform delay. The workers protested twice this week during their lunch break and staged a sickout yesterday afternoon at 3 to get that demand across. But in an interview on Monday, Chairman Doug Singh responded by saying that he does not agree with the workers' interpretation of the agreement on uniforms and that the management refuses to pay financial compensation. Today CWU president Audrey-Matura Shepherd and 2 SSB workers held a press conference to discuss this issue. Deputy Union Representative Ella Waight began by saying that Chairman Singh changed his interpretation on them and that they were paid compensation in the past for late uniforms under his management.

Will The Prime Minister Have To Put Out SSB Fire?
And while the timing of the escalating social security industrial action would suggest that they are trying to cash in on pre-election desperation from the ruling party - the Prime Minister today told the media he is feeling no such pressure. He says he is satisfied that there is a timeline for negotiations on the collective bargaining agreement and any agitation beyond that won't get the workers anywhere:.. Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister "Walking out in protesting will in my view do nothing to accelerate that schedule to which they agreed and so while I am not surprised or even disappointed at the course of action embarked upon, it won't get them anywhere."

Prime Minister Discusses UB Salary Increase Request
And the Prime Minister had similar sentiments for the University of Belize staff who are agitating for a 14% raise. Staff at the Belize City campus reportedly left classes today to protest. But, the Prime Minister says that there is a process which must be completed before any raise can be considered: consultants have been hired and they are making a comparative analysis of salaries between the university and other similar institutions in the Caribbean - and until that is finished, jump high jump low, there won't be any raise approved:.. Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister "That negotiating process again, clearly cannot be concluded before November 4th. So while as I say the efforts to force government's hand to be expected, those efforts cannot in the circumstances be successful."

That Meeting Between PM Barrow And BTL Employees
But one group of workers that the Prime Minister did meet with were BTL employees. He did so last week after the union sent out a withering press release in which they put Prime Minister Barrow on blast with a capital "B". We asked him about it today.. Jules Vasquez "Your meeting with the BTL staff. They said you were worse than Mr. Musa and that have change black dog for monkey - these very plain spoken language." Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister "I was I think exceptionally well treated at that BTL forum with the staff. We got along like a house on fire. I did make the point to them that I had been stung, that I had been cut to the quick, by what they has said. But it was clear they weren't saying it then at that meeting and I did not get a retraction or an apology, but I did not asked for one because I am saying I am happy to move on. I spoke to them about the settlement and explained and perhaps clarified some issues that they obviously were unsure of and that might have caused the resort to that sort of really intemperate language and I am sure that at the end of the day, they were very satisfied."

The 2015 Business Forum
And while he met with labour last week - today the Prime Minister met with Capital - that is, the business sector at the fourth annual Business Forum. This year the theme was "Partnership for Growth and Prosperity"- and in his remarks at the closing of the event which was held at the Biltmore - he said that the partnership has grown in a meaningful way: Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister "With respect to operational advances, there is more that could have been achieved. But we have done well just in my view, in chartering this EDC, in getting it off the ground. In giving flesh to an idea that is a wonderful one. I know that whoever is Prime Minister after November 4th will be obliged and no doubt happy to continue this EDC enterprise." In close the Prime Minister did make it clear that while his government has been prop poor - it does not mean that they are anti-rich:.. Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister "We don't seek to achieve our objectives by any effort at re-distribution of wealth. There has been, must not be ever any attempt at a government engineered transfer of private resources from those better off to those well off. In other words, the goal is always to create new wealth for new players. Not to take away wealth from those that already have to give to those that don't."

BPP Announces New Candidates
And while that UDP did all it could to woo the business sector, the newly formed BPP or Belize Popular Party says they are getting good support from the productive sector. Since making a public appeal for ten thousand dollars grants last week - the party says it has raised forty four thousand dollars - and still have cheques to go and pick up. It's a quite robust uptake for a party which only had 11 candidates when it launched. Well, today the BPP presented 7 more at a press conference at the Belize Institute of Management - and here they are:... Elizabeth Dena, BPP - Freetown "Now it's time for stop playing games. I done even like hear people talking that how politics is a game, because my life is not a game. My children lives are not a game. When we want to play games, we sit down around our table and pull out some scrabble and snake and ladders. My life is not a game and the words are important. To the women out there, it's time to stop talking and quarrel, because we know that you all are full of frustration and it's time to do something about that frustration. It won't go anywhere unless you do something about it. Don't worry about what they are doing, because who is them? They still end up being you, because you are a part of them. You are not voting for us you know, you are voting for you. Because at the end of the day it's your money and not our money. I would never give my money to somebody to spend for me and when I want it they tell me I can't get it. Or they take my money and do what they want with it."

The Prime Minister's Take On the Third Party
When asked about the Third party today, Prime Minister Dean Barrow offered backhanded praise. He said it's good that they're running - but it is a long term effort to break the two party hold on mass party politics in Belize:.. Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister "I welcome the participation of this third party. It's good that our democracy show that sort of development. I was happy to hear, I believe the leader say that for them it a multi-generational enterprise. I think it will be generations before they will see any success, but just the fact of their participation and their adding to the conversation and the dialogue, is something I heartily endorsed."

Can Government Help Mayan King?
And today the Prime Minister also commented on the situation at Maya King Banana Farm in south Stann Creek. As we reported, the farm owners have hit a financial brick wall: due to the drought, they don't have enough earnings to pay their farm workers; and because of former owner John Zabaneh's kingpin designation - no bank will do business with them so they can't get an overdraft facility. Today the Prime Minister said government can't help an individual farm:.. Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister "Government did try to help, but no bank in Belize will deal with him. He has tried to find a way around it by having nominees to operate the company and you will know that the Social Security Board, notwithstanding whatever pitfalls might have been present, agreed to lend that company as significant amount of money to assist with fertilizer and with other things.

Corn Farmers Will Get Help From GOB
And while they can't help Maya King - the Prime Minister says government will do what it can to help farmers in the north who have been hit hard by drought. It's a joint effort between the DFC and the Ministry of Agriculture:.. Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister "We will provide seeds to farmers. The DFC has agreed again to suspend interest payments and government will actually fund seeds for replanting. So that's the sort of thing that we can do, but that's industrywide and individual farmers will benefit." The Ministry of Agriculture estimates that drought losses in the agricultural sector this year exceed 30 million dollars.

Another Man Charged For Paraquat's Murder
Another Belize City resident has been charged for a violent crime in Orange Walk - but, this time, it's the murder of homeless man, Carlos "Paraquat" Griffith. On Monday September 28th Griffith was beaten up on the street. His received massive facial and head injuries and died a few days later. Now, police have charged 35 year old Lovely Lane resident Teshawn Clarke for murder. He was identified in an ID parade. Today in court he was remanded for murder and also pleaded guilty to possession of drugs he was found with at the time of his arrest…

Police Caught Kids Trying To Rob Sky Supermarket
Police have two minors detained in connection with a very bizarre attempted robbery in Ladyville this evening. At 4:00, the Rural Rapid Response team were operating near the Sky Supermarket Complex area in Ladyville when they saw two boys come off a bus and meet up with a man and another minor in a vehicle. The driver gave one of the minors a gun but the police were able to catch the kids before they committed any crime. But that's not all! - when the kids tried to run from the police, the driver of the vehicle knocked down one of the minors who were trying to escape. Sr. Supt. Edward Broaster unraveled the story for us this evening. Sr. Supt. Edward Broaster, Commander - Eastern Division Rural "No robbery was committed. At 4pm we had an active operation where we had our rural rapid response doing surveillance in the general vicinity where we had two juveniles who alighted their bus and another juvenile. The driver is unknown to us in a grey Tribute where the two juveniles that came off the bus was given a firearm to commit a robbery. However, it is apparent that they may have seen our surveillance team and they decided to run. The occupants of the car that they marred up with drove and ran over one of them and he got up and took out the firearm and pointed at the occupants of the vehicle. At this time our rural rapid response got into action and halted the crime where they froze the individual with the firearm and they captured the other juvenile that was with him as well."

On the Campaign Trail With Dr. Barnett
On Tuesday, we showed you our first campaign trail coverage, heading up to the General Elections. Tonight, we take you into Freetown, another battleground for both mass parties, where newcomer Dr. Carla Barnett is seeking to defeat the 3 time area rep, Francis Fonseca, who's also the Leader of the Opposition. By all objective indicators - she should be the underdog because her party, the UDP is looking for a third term - and generally it's very difficult to defeat opposition candidates since they aren't in power and no one can be upset with them for not delivering goods and services. And Third, he's the leader of the opposition - the man who would be Prime Minister and that alone is worth a few hundred votes. So, Carla Barnett should not be expected to win - but the UDP feels that she has a better than average chance. We went on the campaign trail to find out why:…

A Fantasy 5 Winner
He is a 76 year old Dangriga resident and tonight he is almost three hundred thousand dollars richer. Malcolm Dale is the winner of Tuesday night's Fantasy 5 jackpot. Today he travelled from Dangriga to the Fantasy 5 office in the city to claim his winning numbers and collect his cheque of two hundred and eighty six thousand dollas. He told us why he's still in shock. After taxes were deducted, Dale walked away with two hundred and forty three thousand one hundred dollars.

Mental Health Week
Dignity and respect for mental health patients: that is what health professionals are asking of the community. Today the Central Health Region organized a students' march through the streets of the city to get that message across. We spoke with one of the coordinators of the march and she told us how important it is to spread awareness of mental health in Belize. The march featuring students from Wesley and Palotti started at Cleopatra White Health Center and ended at BTL park with a Fun Day. As part of World Mental Health Day on Saturday a number of events are planned for this week including a High School Speech Competition tomorrow afternoon at SJC Gym and the Annual Fund Raising Banquet at Chateau Caribbean on Saturday.

What's This BTL Indefinite Moratorium?
Ten days ago we showed you BTL's annual general meeting. We expected it to be controversial - after all the company has to pay 98 million dollars to settle the debt for what started out as a 45 million dollar loan with the Ashcroft Alliance. Or so we thought….the chairman of the BTL board announced to shareholders that they would only be paying 48 million dollars - the rest, as they explained would be placed on an indefinite moratorium. But, what does that mean? The Prime Minister explained today:.. Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister "I intend in the next administration to write off in so far as BTL is concern, the balance of those payments that we have made on their behalf in terms of the BCB loan. 19 million came from Petrocaribe, 10 million came from BTL. They up fronted that from their own resources. A small portion came from what was left over from the proceeds of the sale of shares. Remember we paid to the Ashcroft Alliance at the NERA value for as a down payment on the compensation. If the tribunal say otherwise, that is a down payment and we took that out of what we had. We sold shares after the acquisition at $5 per share. There was a balance after we took out the amount to pay down on the compensation about 4-5 million. So we use that and then the rest of it came from the dividends that we had already collected from BTL, but which has been frozen by the CCJ. With the falling away of the claim, that money was available to us. So we did not have to go borrow anything other than the 48."

PM Comments On Bar Association's Impending Application To The CCJ
And while disposing of that debt is part of the settlement with the Ashcroft Alliance - the Bar Association still wants to know what the Caribbean Court of Justice would have ruled on the legality of the eighth amendment. They will make an application to the court to request that judgement - and today the Prime Minister said he's also curious, while remaining confident:... Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister "Let's assume they were to be successful. It's not skin off my back. I for the sake of the jurisprudence would have no difficulty in getting the CCJ's views pronouncements on the 8th amendment and this whole business of basic structure doctrine and the argument of those in the bar that say that no matter if you do it properly, amending the constitution can itself be unconstitutional. I've never subscribe to it. I've never held with it and I can see that they would have an interest in some determination of the issues. So for me it's neither here nor there. But I do think as I said in terms of whatever remains of my lawyer instinct, that they will get absolutely no place."

Is Belize On The Reparations Push From CARICOM
One week ago, while visiting Jamaica, British Prime Minister David Cameron announced that the UK would be providing a package of more than 600 million US dollars in aid to the Caribbean. The money will be disbursed through the Caribbean Development Bank and Belize will get an as yet unknown portion of those funds for development programs in the areas of infrastructure, health, disaster preparedness and economic growth. But some are saying that the region should not accept aid or any form of charity from England when that country owes this region reparations for slavery. Today the Prime Minister made it clear that is a CARICOM position, but he lives in the here and now: Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister "CARICOM has a group has agree to progress the reparations issue and we are a part of CARICOM. I certainly do not take the view that while that issue is exercising and preoccupying us, that we should look in any way askance at the sort of effort that Prime Minister Cameron is now making. That can't excuse the sins of history, but you will forgive me if I am more anchored in the present and focused on what we can do to advance the development agenda, or local development agenda."

Why Is There Still No Integrity Commission
And, in one final comment from the Prime Minister - the press asked him about the integrity commission. Another term of office is finishing and he still hasn't appointed a functioning committee. Today he repeated what he's been saying: that because the members are listed as politically exposed persons - they have to list all their assets and holdings - and he can't find an accountant who's willing to do that. Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister "Once we can find a chartered accountant who is prepared to served, understanding that then open him/her up to scrutiny on the part of the US and others, we will proceed." Reporter "Is it a priority for your administration?" Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister "Is what a priority?" Which one?" Reporter "The integrity commission?" Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister "Of course it is a priority."

Channel 5

PM Barrow Will Write-Off B.T.L. Debt If U.D.P. Wins
Today, members of the private and public sectors converged on the city for the Prime Minister’s business forum at the Biltmore Plaza. We’ll have a comprehensive look at that event [...]

…Says the People Should Be Happy About It
Barrow says that in the years since the nationalization, G.O.B. and the people have collected eighty million dollars in dividends, so we should all be happy to relieve B.T.L. of [...]

No P.A.C. If G.O.B. Is Not Majority, Says PM
The PM also spoke on the operation of the Public Accounts Committee…which actually isn’t operational. Months ago there was a push for the inclusion of the social partners in the [...]

Chairman Espat Says U.D.P. Is Afraid of the P.A.C.
That stance doesn’t go down well with PAC Chairman Julius Espat. He told News Five today that the reason the Public Accounts Committee doesn’t work, and hasn’t for a long [...]

Integrity Commission Not Looking Likely in the Near Future
Governments of the P.U.P. and the U.D.P. have both been accused, rightly or wrongly, of rampant corruption and unchecked abuse of public monies. For that reason, many believe that this [...]

PM Blames P.A.C. Stagnation on Opposition
We’re not sure what that means where the fate of the Integrity Commission is concerned under this administration. As to PAC, well…that’s not going to happen, a fact for which [...]

Are U.D.P. Candidates Being Fuelled By Petrocaribe?
We note that all that’s being said on all these issues is subject to a decision which will be made on November fourth. Which brings us to Petrocaribe. Will those [...]

Belize Progressive Party Introduces New Candidates
The Belize Progressive Party is inching toward forming a national slate for the general elections on November fourth. BPP last week announced its formation and named eleven candidates to contest [...]

PM Barrow Says Bar Association Will Not Succeed In Application to CCJ
The Bar Association’s request to the CCJ to make available their decisions on the nationalizations of B.E.L. and B.T.L. hasn’t thrilled the government or its attorney. And even if those [...]

Tracy Taegar-Panton on the Campaign Trail
The Albert Division for decades was dominated by Phillip Goldson, it would eventually turn blue in 1998, 2003 and 2008 and then in the last general elections in 2012, it [...]

UB Belmopan Staff Walks Out
There was another protest today on the heels of the ongoing Social Security demonstrations. The faculty and staff of the University of Belize staged a small demonstration this morning at [...]

PM Barrow Says Protesters Will be Unsuccessful
Barrow says that unrest at this time as regards industrial action and threats of the same are to be expected with the imminent approach of elections. But with that said, [...]

S.S.B. Reps Speak for the First Time
Since the beginning of the week, we’ve been reporting that S.S.B. employees who are members of the Christian Workers Union have been protesting during their lunch break at S.S.B. offices [...]

Protesters Point to the Straws That Broke the Camel’s Back
At the core of the problem is the collective bargaining agreement, which according to the CWU reps, the S.S.B. has refrained from discussing. That CBA includes salary adjustments for the [...]

CWU President Says Crisis Could Have Been Averted
According to CWU President Audrey Matura-Shepherd, this crisis could have been averted since last November, when the board was requested by the union to start negotiations on the collective bargaining [...]

A Political Career for Audrey Matura-Shepherd?
Audrey Matura-Shepherd’s name has come up as a likely candidate for electoral politics in more than one party.  Recently, in the instance of the new Belize Progressive Party which is [...]

PM Says Health Mishap Won’t Affect Minister’s Chances in Corozal Bay
The video of a rat in the incubator at the Western Regional Hospital has gone viral. But while the image is devastating, generally the rat is only one in a [...]

Is the BPP’s Candidate in Pickstock a P.U.P. Mole?
Another Minister under siege is Wilfred Sedi Elrington who has been much maligned for his handling of the ongoing territorial dispute with Guatemala. Elrington is running in Pickstock, and is [...]

Barrow Says Attack on FM Elrington Is Unwarranted
The sustained attack on Foreign Minister Wilfred Elrington recently took on new life after his UN address last week. Critics say that Elrington did not devote sufficient time to the [...]

Belize City Charged For Carlos Griffiths' Murder
Orange Walk Police are serious about curbing the crime situation in the North and tonight, there is more good news to report. This afternoon, 35 year old Teshawn Clarke, a resident of Lovely Lane in Belize City was arraigned in the Orange Walk Magistrate’s Court and charged with Murder. Authorities say he is one of two men that viciously put a beating on Carlos “Paraquat” Griffiths and left him for dead. Police say they conducted an identification parade and Clarke was positively identified as one of the persons that were assaulting Griffiths. Authorities say upon making the arrest, Clarke was found with illicit drugs in his possession and has pleaded guilty in court for that offense. It is of note that a second suspect is being sought for questioning and an appearance in an Identification Parade.

Classes Interrupted At UB, Teachers Protest for 14% Salary Increase
Today the UB faculty staged an impromptu demonstration as they call for a 14% salary increase across the board. According to reports received, today’s demonstration began with some twenty members of faculty and staff at the UB campus in Belmopan. They began a march from the Scarlet Macaw building, moved to the Jaguar Auditorium and headed to the an area in front of the library where they held a small rally. By then, the group had grown and included some students as well. Las week Thursday, UB faculty and staff at the Belmopan and Belize City campuses held a meeting where a fourteen percent salary increase was of utmost importance to those in attendance. An email was sent to the president of UB Alan Slusher who responded by saying that on Tuesday of that same week the association executive of UB met with the president of the board where they were informed that as of August first this year a five percent salary adjustment had been approved by the Board of Trustees.

Alledged Land Grab Reported In San Jose Village
There is another complaint to report tonight of Lands Department. The latest complaint was made to us today by Douglas Village resident Laurio Alamilla. Alamilla says that he was granted a parcel of land in an area immediately behind San Juan Village in Orange Walk. According to Alamilla, he had started making payments for the property but when government changed in 2008, his money was rejected by the new administrators of the Lands Department. Today, he still holds the papers to that land but the parcel itself has seemingly been set aside as a quarry. Alamilla says he has tried to address the problem even with the police but has been unable to get any assistance.

An Elderly Man and Quarter Million Dollar Jackpot
The winner for Tuesday’s Fantasy Five draw today picked up his prize money. The winner is seventy six year old Malcom John Dale of Dangriga. Dale says that he sells fantasy five tickets in his shop, and when he went to check the ticket he purchased the next morning he realized that he was the […]

Audrey’s Supporters and Finances Wanted by the BPP
At today’s press conference of the Belize Progressive Party, one of its candidates, Raymond Rivers called out President of Christian Workers Union, Audrey Matura Shepherd. When the BPP was launched, some thought that Matura Shepherd would have been involved. However, she was not, even though the BPP approached her. But today, Rivers made a public […]

Was the Incubator and Rat Incident Staged?
The presence of a rat inside a baby’s incubator at the Western Regional Hospital was appalling and had garnered disgust from many corners. From the onset there were several speculations ranging from the possibility that it was a staged event with the intention of recording it and then publishing the video on the social media […]

PM Says Health Minister Will Retain Seat at Elections
The health sector has been attacked in several instances in the past weeks leading to the Opposition demanding for the removal of the Health Minister and the CEO in the Ministry of Health, Pablo Marin. One would think that such occurrences under Marin’s watch would cause him to lose ground in his Corozal Bay Division […]

Pickstock – Sure Seat for the UDP
Prime Minister Barrow even went further in expressing his confidence that despite the efforts being made by a certain coalition and the PUP to discredit Elrington in his Pickstock division, the seat will remain for the UDP. DEAN BARROW “And I see that this sustained attack against the Foreign Minister has now taken on an […]

Prime Minister Explains Elrington’s Remarks at the UN
In today’s press conference, Prime Minister Dean Barrow spoke on the address delivered by the Foreign Minister Wilfred Elrington at the UN’s General Assembly last week in New York, USA. Barrow, who once served as a Foreign Minister, clarified the statement made by Elrington, saying that when going to the International Court of Justice, it […]

CBA Negotiations for SSB and UB Expected to Continue Over Coming Months
Following the Business Forum today, Prime Minister Dean Barrow made himself available to the media via a press conference in which he addressed several issues surrounding various sectors. Since the announcement of the national elections, there has been a spike in demands for increased wages and benefits. Of recent, those clamouring for it have been […]

Integrity Commission Delayed Due to PEP Issue
As it relates to the Integrity Commission, back in February 2014, the Barrow Administration had put together a commission but there were some setbacks as towo of the businessmen who were asked to sit on the commission, withdrew their names as it was later found out that they and the other commission members would be […]

Government Will Retain a Majority on Public Accounts Committee
In the 2012 General Elections, Julius Espat won for the first time, a seat in the House of Representatives for the Cayo South Division. Following that victory, Espat was selected by the People’s United Party to be the representative of the opposition, who holds the post of Chairman. But it hasn’t been a smooth ride […]

PM Barrow Welcomes BPP As A Third Party
A third party movement with the name Belize Progressive Party and its leader being Patrick Rogers was launched just a few days following the announcement of the general elections. We asked Prime Minister Barrow to weigh on the movement and how it could affect the upcoming elections. DEAN BARROW ” At its launch, the BPP […]

UB Staffers Rally in preparation for salary increase negotiations
Yesterday the Social Security Board Workers made our headline news when they staged a sickout because negotiations are not going as they would like. Today, it is the UB Faculty and Staff that are making our headlines. At around 10 am today, the University of Belize Faculty and Staff Association sta...

Christian Workers’ Union hits back at SSB
We have been keeping abreast of the strained relationship between the Staffers at the Social Security Board and their Board of Directors that has Christian Workers’ Union (CWU) and Social Security Board (SSB) at odds over the lengthy negotiations for the workers’ Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA...

Lionel Messi to be tried in Spain for tax evasion in Belize
Football star Lionel Messi and his father are to stand trial in Spain for tax fraud due to allegedly hiding money in Belize. Barcelona and Argentina’s star Lionel Messi and his father are facing three counts of tax fraud that could translate to prison sentences. In a court filing, Messi and h...

Placencia apartment burglarized of over $38,000.00
An apartment in Placencia was burglarized of over $38,000.00. On Tuesday the 6th of October, an American businessman of Placencia, 50-year-old Michael Gargan’s apartment was burglarized. The thieves stole one metal safe containing two Rolex wrist watches which are valued at $18,100.00 each, two Amer...

Paraquat’s Murderer Identified
Over the weekend, the case surrounding the investigation of the beat down of well known street personality in Orange Walk Town Carlos “Paraquat” Griffith was upgraded to murder when he passed away late Friday evening last week. As we told you yesterday, Grffith was beaten to a pulp somet...

Seven new BPP candidates introduced
Last week saw the launch of the Belize Progressive Party (BPP), an amalgamation of two smaller political parties and former members of a third. They introduced their first eleven candidates to contest the 2015 general elections. Today they announced the addition of seven more. They are housewife and...

CWU updates on stevedores and executive
Last Thursday CWU President Audrey Matura Shepherd and a handful of Stevedores held a brief at the CWU Office on Cemetery Road, where they provided an update on the issue of the Collective Bargaining agreement for Stevedores at the Port of Belize. At the time Matura Shepherd said that the CWU and it...

#508135 - 10/09/15 06:33 AM Re: Today's Belize News: October 9, 2015 [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

The Guardian

Ralph Fonseca back in control of the PUP
The People’s United Party and its leaders, despite both internal and external pressures have been unable to rid themselves of Ralph Fonseca. This single figure now looms large over the PUP as the de-facto campaign manager and is now the primary mover within the party to seek finances for their campaign. This week, Ralph Fonseca along with Francis Fonseca and Julius Espat were spotted all chummy in a plane to and from the south of the country. No doubt this is one of their money-hunting expeditions with the senior Fonseca fully in charge. The move by the desperate Francis to bring in Ralph in this manner with full support of the deputy, Julius Espat, tells us that the PUP will never reform. This revelation must send chills down the spines of every single Belizean, especially because we all know what the senior Fonseca is capable of. He was the architect of growth-economics that brought Belize’s economy to the brink of disaster. And while everyone in and out of the PUP are aware of this; with Dr. Francis Smith, the PUP Pickstock candidate publicly lashing out against having Ralph back in the saddle, Francis Fonseca could care less.

Hype-o-crites of the Guatemalan claim
“Not one blue mango, not one craboo, not one morass; not a blade of grass”. These words are contained in the lyrics of a song produced by the late Richard Stuart, sung by John Saldivar, and paid for by Glen Stuart. These men all belonged to the UDP and reflected what the party stood for at that time. The song was written as an innocuous response to the PUP’s handling of the Belize/Guatemala dispute. In September, 2005 the then PUP Government through their lead negotiator Assad Shoman signed on to the “framework of negotiating and confidence building measures” in which both countries agreed to resolved the dispute either by diplomatic negotiations or by taking it to the International Court of Justice. By December the first round of talks were held in San Pedro between Belize’s lead negotiator Assad Shoman and Guatemala’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Jorge Briz Abulrach. On February, 10th 2006 another meeting was held this time in Washington DC between Guatemala’s Foreign Minister Jorge Briz and Belize’s Chief negotiator Assad Shoman along with their delegations. In that meeting it was proposed by the Organization of American States that the negotiations start in earnest and the first thing they should discuss is the maritime areas and Guatemala’s access to the Caribbean Sea.

Truck driver charged for death of eleven-year-old girl
The parents of 11-year-old Tessrah Diamond Thompson received the news no parent wants to hear after they send their children to school for the day. Thompson lives in the Mahogany Heights area and attends school at St. Mathews Primary School. She was coming home after a day of learning and exited the bus in front of the entrance to mahogany Heights at around 3:20 p.m. on Monday afternoon, October 5. According to eyewitness reports, Thompson went in front of the bus to peek out so she can see if any vehicle was coming before she crossed the road. At this very same time a cargo truck blew by and the edge of the truck hit Thompson and flung her violently to the ground. The truck continued on a few hundred yards up before the driver, Jose Rodriguez, 54, naturalized Belizean from Honduras, realized that he had hit someone. By the time Rodriguez returned to render aid, several passengers from the bus were already tending to Thompson, including two nurses. She was rushed to the Karl Heusner Memorial where doctors executed emergency procedures to try and save her life.

Another PUP defection
With less than a month to go before the General Elections, that will see the UNITED DEMOCRATIC PARTY with the Hon Dean Barrow as party Leader and Prime Minister voted in to serve a third consecutive term, the defections have started from the aging and dying PUP. The first to jump ship has been Jose Chacon - who ran as the PUP’s Mayoral candidate in Belmopan 7 months ago. But now, Chacon says he is through with the PUP and has resigned from the party and has thrown his support behind the UDP’s John Saldivar. For Belizean politics this is a major development that will cause the PUP to suffer a huge setback. He pointed to disillusionment with the party which he formerly embraced with such zeal: Chacon is quoted to have said ,”When I sought elected office to be the mayor of Belmopan under the PUP banner earlier this year, I sincerely thought that the PUP had changed. I have come to recognize the truth, that the PUP has not changed and that this PUP is the very same party with the very same leaders whom from 1998 to 2008, oversaw the most corrupt government in Belize’s history. But the more I saw of this PUP, the more I was exposed to its leaders, the quicker I came to realize that the PUP was only a vehicle for the enrichment and power of a few individuals. This PUP is the PUP of Fonseca and Musa. There is nothing about this PUP that reminds of what George Price was said to believe in. This PUP has not changed at all. And so I have decided to endorse and to support the Hon. John Saldivar and the UDP as they seek re-election in the upcoming general elections. I will campaign for Minister Saldivar and ask those who support me to support John in Belmopan.”

Brackett dah PUP
In April last year, the Guardian Newspaper was the first to call out Geovannie Brackett as a closet PUP loudmouth, who tries to hide behind activism as his platform to shamelessly campaign for the “#goblue”. Well, he did what everyone has expected him to do. In the next General Elections, he will try to unseat UDP Incumbent Wilfred “Sedi” Elrington from his position as Area Representative for the Pickstock division. Now, he’s not going to put his name on a ballot paper, because that would leave him exposed, and he would then be admitting what everyone already believes without actual proof. He’s going to ask the voters of Pickstock to “choose any other option except Sedi”. But, let’s look at it logically? Who has the most to gain from a political move like that? Right now, the only other candidate confirmed to be offering himself in that division is Dr. Francis Smith, a PUP. Put that together with COLA’s “Build the Base Now” campaign, which looks like a secret PUP move, and the fact that he met with Francis Smith before announcing his plan, and he only appears more like a PUP politician.

Twenty five reasons you should NOT vote for the PUP
The present area representative for Orange Walk Central has twice gone on record with two proclamations of millions and millions of dollars having been lost under the PUP Government of 1998-2008. He itemized each one of the shady deals orchestrated by his Party and gave estimates, rounded to the nearest million, on how much money was siphoned from the Government’s treasury. Let us make our own list today to see why we should not be tricked again into supporting the People’s United Party. Between 1998 and 2008, the PUP Government: 1. Sold off all our national assets like the Port, the Airport, BEL, BTL, and WASA. They actually sold BTL three times. 2. Borrowed $1.5 Billion, and have nothing to show for it (re-the Super-bond). 3. Increased taxation each year to support their excessive spending 4. Sold the Voice of America compound to a PUP representative from Toledo, who bought it with a loan from DFC (which was later written off). The same compound was later sold to a Canadian for millions 5. Lent Godfrey $45 million to build Intelco, which never did function, and he never paid back 6. Lent Godfrey $8 million for Galleria Maya, which never did open, and he never paid back

Recognizing the elderly for the International Day of Older Persons
Members of the Board of Directors at the Octavia Waight Center in San Ignacio Town, working under Help Age Belize, have been receptive to the many activities for the celebrations of Senior Citizens Week from September 26th to October 3rd. This group of volunteers from the community has also welcomed the recognition of the elderly for the International Day of Older Persons on October 1st 2015. Several schools from the Cayo area brought groceries for the elderly at the Octavia Waight Center during last week. The children of Sacred Heart College also came to perform for the seniors. These participating schools that showered the elderly from Octavia Waight with gifts included St. Barnabas, Bishop Martin, Saint Andrews, Immaculate Conception, St. Francis Xavier as well as the Sacred Heart Primary School. Senior Citizen week was opened with a church service on Sunday of last week at the Evangelical Church in San Ignacio. Then on Thursday of last week, a special dinner was held at the Octavia Waight Center which Earl Trapp Junior, Mayor of San Ignacio and Santa Elena attended.

First horses now a mule
The PUP have now taken on a Mule to run in the Derby on November, 4 , but this time they have added a cart to this Mule named Guatemala. They had to add a cart because this Mule and cart will have many drivers all at the same time. The team of drivers will include the infamous Sarstoon Jockey/ killer a.k.a. Lisa , Eamon a.k.a Junior Trombone, Godfrey a.k.a man in tights or Pink-brief and of course Francis and Said will be hitching a ride on the cart. I am sorry for that poor Mule, because it to will die under the strain of the dead weight and flogging it will be made to endure until the day of the race. What PUP wanted and Johnny is not included in this one, was for Minister Elrington to put on a PUP skirt and go to the United Nations General Assembly and throw phrase like a Water Lane Wassa. Sorry for them because that is not what real leaders do. Real leaders lead from the front and enter through the front door. Unlike those WISHY WASHY, FLIP FLOPPING Leaders over there who lead and enter from the back. And please Pinky I am not saying that to you alone. It is being said to all of you on that side who are trying to use the one thing that has galvanized this entire nation as one united people and that is the resistance to the Unfounded Guatemalan Claim.

Inconsiderate Bunch
The PUP may be the most inconsiderate group of people when it comes to their ZEAL for power and greed . It seems they will stop short of nothing and trample on anybody to obtain their objective. For the PUP it is all about them, them and them only. The PUP knows fully well that the UN General Assembly is two weeks of intense meetings and the various issues are dealt with at different but equally important forums during the same general assembly . The speech that we see on tv is not the General Assembly and the slot small countries such as Belize are given is at a time when many of the other delegations are not there but that plus all other presentations from the entire General assembly are read into the records and treated with the same importance.

John Saldivar launches campaign
With great fanfare and support, Hon. John Saldivar launched his candidacy once again for a fourth term in office. Hon. Saldivar chose the May Gordon sports complex as the venue and by 6 on Tuesday evening, thousands of Belmopan residents had gathered to partake in the event which also featured the representative's birthday, October 6. In the presence of thousands of supporters who were treated to food and drinks, representatives from across the country took to the stage to endorse and encourage Hon. Saldivar in the transformative work he has undertaken in the capital city. Among the speakers were UDP standard bearers Hon. Frank 'Papa' Mena, Hon. Patrick Faber, Hon. Hugo Pat, Tracy Panton. Also speaking at the launch was former PUP mayoral candidate for Belmopan, Jose Chacon who has severed ties with the PUP and has chosen to support the candidacy of Hon. John Saldivar and the UDP.

PUP’s desperation turns to destruction of UDP signs
The People’s United Party’s hunger for power has them now destroying UDP signs. The latest attack came on the Belize-Corozal road where the PUP in that constituency set fire to a billboard by Elodio Aragon Jr. The PUP operatives work in the cover of darkness and on Tuesday night they set fire to the banner. This latest attack comes on the heels of another where Bull Nose Vaughn was caught on Monday night tearing down UDP signs for Dr. Carla Barnett in the Freetown division. When he saw a group of UDP supporters coming to the area, Vaughn made a coward’s exit in an effort to not be caught.

The PUP legacy on Guatemala
The People's United Party are claiming that they have matured in their position as it relates to Guatemala. What they have never admitted to is that they are responsible for the Webster Proposals, the Heads of Agreement, the Richler Ramphal Proposals, the Confidence Building measures which did away with our borders and gave us the adjacency zone and were the ones who negotiated the compromis which seeks to take the Guatemalan claim to the ICJ. More than that, they had been involved in negotiations with Guatemala which sought to secretly give Belizean land to Guatemala. Now they are trying to pretend as if they had no knowledge of these treasonous acts and are attempting to place pressure on the UDP government and in particular Hon. Wilfred Sedi Elrington for simply speaking the truth.

PUP infiltrates another union
Of all the things to protest about, now it is about uniforms. And they are some very expensive uniforms too. It is just over $277,000 FOR UNIFORMS. How selfish that is when PENSIONERS can’t even PAY THEIR BILLS with the pittance they get as pension. Now truly this is PAST THE LIMIT. It may be the most SELFISH and COWARDLY ATTACK, that I have ever seen on our democracy. These highly educated and paid people are allowing themselves to be used as PAWNS to advance the fortunes of a dying POLITICAL PARTY. SOME MEDIA HOUSES have also allowed their organizations to be used to advance this blatant PUP agenda. Strange but none (not even One ) of the so called nonpartisan Media Houses has said anything about this OUTRAGEOUS amount of money being spent on Clothing when THEY keep talking about POOR PEOPLE and POOR PEOPLE ! Do they know how much people could get a house with that money? Belize must be blessed indeed . The sad thing is that one of these days we will be made to suffer the consequences of these types of ABUSE.

Taiwan doctors stress early detection of kidney disease
A team of medical practitioners from Far Eastern Memorial Hospital in Pan Chiao, Taipei, Taiwan has been in Belize since Monday, October 5, on a mission at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital. The mission provided Ophthalmology, E.N.T. and Nephrology diagnosis and treatment. The team leader is Dr. Hung-Yuan Chen who has 15 years experience as a surgeon and 10 years specializing in Nephrology. Chen leads the team but focuses specifically on his area of expertise. He says his primary mission is to stress the importance of early detection of kidney disease for diabetes patients. Most Diabetes patients eventually develop kidney disease. Chen says that people living with Diabetes need to be educated on the symptoms of kidney diseases and treatment options even before they are diagnosed. Proper information will lead to early detection, says Chen, and early detection will allow the patient to better control the condition.

Senior citizen beaten to death in Orange Walk
After suffering for 4 days in the KHMH, 63 year-old Orange Walk Resident Carlos Griffith, a.k.a. “Paraquat” passed away while getting medical treatment. Police have not made any arrests as yet, but what they do know is that he was sitting on a stool near the Town’s Fire Station, on Monday, September 28. At around 8:00 p.m., two men allegedly approached him, and they got into an argument with the senior gentleman over this stool. It escalated to a violent attack where the men allegedly gave him a violent beating, causing Griffith to suffer a fractured skull and a smashed face.

Fined for taking a pee in the yard of a police officer
Armando Esquillano must pay a $200 fine by October 30 or his worst nightmare will begin on Halloween Day when he is sent to the Belize Central Prison to serve two months for trespassing on a private property. Allegations are that on Monday, September 28, he entered the private premises of woman police officer, Angela Wiltshire. Esquilliano appeared unrepresented in court on Friday, October 2. He told the court that he was passing the house on his way home when he realized that he wanted to pee real bad. Therefore, he went to pee in the yard with no knowledge whose yard it was. As he was taking a pee, Esquillano said he heard a man instruct him to freeze and don’t move. Agreeing with the facts of the case, Esquilliano wasted no time and pleaded guilty to the charge.

Human bones found in Belmopan
The family of 75 year-old Francisco Reyes Ruiz are patiently waiting for a pathologist to confirm if a sack of skeletal remains police found on Saturday, October 3, is their loved one. Reyes left his home in the Salvapan area of Belmopan to go farming, and he never returned. Since that time, the family had been persistently searching for him, and they had suspected the worst outcome when he hadn’t returned for days. He spent most of his time at his farm near the Springfield Community, in the Cayo District, and so they had been canvassing that area. A search team, which included 23 year-old Bryan Nolberto, came across a sack of bones between 2 huge rocks, in an area about 6 miles south of the Springfield Community. They examined it and found that it was human remains, and they reported it to police immediately.

General manager of Saint Martin’s Credit Union robbed at gun point
At about 7:45 pm, this past Sunday, a robbery was fully underway on Collins Boulevard in San Ignacio at the residence of Ramon Tzul, 37 year old, General Manager of the Saint Martin’s Credit Union. Tzul was exiting the green Toyota Demax owned by the Saint Martin’s Credit Union, when three men approached him, two of them were armed with handguns and demanded that the keys to the vehicle be handed over to them. The criminals, then headed with the Toyota Demax towards Bullet Tree Falls. San Ignacio Police along with the Special Patrol Unit coordinated with the Bullet Tree Checkpoint, where it was confirmed that the vehicle worth $75,000.00 had passed through Bullet Tree Falls and was then driven to an exit point along the Belize-Guatemala border.

Belize Athletics Association to hold National Track and Field Championship
The Belize Athletics Association invites all athletes and track enthusiasts once again to be a part of a National Track and Field Championship event. The event will be hosted at the Marion Jones Sports Complex on the 14-15 November, 2015. All athletes 16 years and older can participate in the events. Registration forms can be obtained from and returned to the BAA via email ( belizeathleticsassociation@gmail.com) or from our Face Book page (Belize Athletics Association). Registration forms can also be obtained from and returned to the National Sports Council’s offices throughout the country.

Easy Does It of Flowers Bank Rural softball champions
The Belize Rural Softball Association competition came to an end on Sunday 4 October, 2015, out in Lord’s Bank Village with the Page System Playoffs. In the first semi-final game, UB Jaguars defeated Double Head Cabbage by the score of 15-12, to advance to the Grand Final. The winning pitcher was Amber Wade and the losing pitcher was Herlett Clarke. In the second semi-final game, Easy Does It of Flowers Bank eliminated Lord’s Bank Sunrise by the score of 12-5 to advance to the Final. The winning pitcher was Margaret Hendy and the losing pitcher was Karen Hilton.

Football Federation to hold district association elections
The Football Federation of Belize will be conducting elections for the seven (7) District Associations that make up the Football Federation of Belize. The district elections will be conducted by the Football Federation of Belize in the presence of a representative from the National Sports Council, the Belize Olympic and Commonwealth Games Association and a Justice of the Peace. The elections proceedings for the following Football District Association are as follows:

Belize City Primary Schools Volleyball competition commences
The Belize City Primary Schools Volleyball Competition for school year 2015-2016 commenced today Wednesday 7 October 2015, at Bird’s Isle with two games on the schedule. The competition will see six teams in the girls’ competition and six teams in the boys’ competition. The schools that will compete in the girls’ competition are: Belize Elementary School, Bethel Assembly School, Wesley Upper School, Holy Redeemer School, St. John’s Primary School and St. Mary’s Primary School. Meanwhile, in the boys’ competition, the school that will compete are, Belize Elementary School, Bethel Assembly School, Wesley Upper School, Holy Redeemer School, St. John’s Primary School and St. John Vianney School.

Gregory Shepherd pleads not guilty to burglary
Gregory Shepherd, 20-year-old resident and laborer of Holy Emmanuel Street in the Saint Martin de Pores area, is out on bail of $3,000 after he was charged with the burglary of Jose Rodriguez’s home. Shepherd was represented by attorney Rachel Montejo when he appeared before Magistrate Ladonna John on Monday, October 5. He was read a single charge of burglary. Allegations are that on September 26, 2015, he forced himself into the home of Jose Rodriguez and stole a number of items. Missing from the house was an electric iron grinder valued at $225, an electric drill valued at $250 and other electrical equipment valued at $250. Shepherd pleaded not guilty to the charge. Court prosecutor, Christopher Smith had no objection to bail but asked the court to set conditions to Shepherd’s bail.

Men Busted in vehicle with weed
Kevin Cherrington, 21, is a very lucky young man after he was spared of a $10,000 fine for pleading guilty to possession of 63.3 grams of weed on Monday, October 5. Cherrington was busted with two other men in a blue Honda Accord on Saturday, October 3. Acording to police officer #1433 Arzu, he and other officers were conducting mobile patrol on the Southside of Belize City when they spotted a blue car that caught their attention. They decided to stop the vehicle and execute a search for drugs and ammunition. The driver at the time was Calvin Blease, 23, and the passengers were Adrian Avaloy and Kevin Cherington. All three men exited the vehicle and allowed police to conduct the search. The men were searched first and nothing incriminating was found on either of them. Police then searched the vehicle and found a black plastic bag under the passenger seat of the vehicle. The bag contained weed and as a result all three were arrested and detained.

New carnal knowledge trial for Artie Myers
Artie Myers, 28, is a free man after the Court of Appeals rejected a Supreme Court decision to convict him of carnal knowledge in March of 2014. Myers was serving the nineteenth month of a twelve year sentence when the decision was handed down on Monday, October 5, 2015. He was accused of having sex with a 12-year-old girl in Punta Gorda Town on November 6, 2012. In the Supreme Court trial, Myers was unrepresented. He got what was thought to be a break when the virtual complainant told the court that the statement she gave police back in 2012 was all lies. The prosecutor proceeded to treat the child as a hostile witness but she maintained the position that her story to police was a lie. Despite this, Justice Antoinette Moore allowed the child’s statement to be entered into evidence. Myers was later convicted of the offense of carnal knowledge on March 21, 2014. He was sentenced to 12 years imprisonment on March 28, 2014.

Richard Smith to face firearm charges, four others released
Six men were busted with a .45 revolver on January 17, 2014 when the Gang Suppression Unit intercepted a red F-200 pickup truck at the corner of Central American Boulevard and Peter Secco Street, next to the Belize Water Service. Those men are Jihadul Alackbar Gill Sr., 21, Everal Gray, 29, Delbert Alvarez, 20, Alrick Lamb, 21, Arthur Hill, 20, and Richard Smith, 35. Alrick Lamb took the rap for the bust and pleaded guilty to keeping an unlicensed firearm and keeping unlicensed ammunition. However, the others were not relieved of the charges and trial proceeded against them.

Roaring Creek Grace Kennedy is John Saldivar Softball Champions
The Cayo Softball Association Senior Women’s competition which was sponsored by the Hon. John Saldivar came to an end of Sunday 4th October, 2015, at the Dembeigh Fuller Softball Stadium in Camalote Village, when the final game for the championship was played between the Roaring Creek Grace Kennedy and the Rebels United from Unitedville. The championship was played with vigour and had to go into extra inning where the Roaring Creek emerged as the champion with a 7-6 victory over the Rebels United from Unitedville. The winning pitcher was Leandra Guy and the losing pitcher was Francine Salazar. At the end of the championship, the association presented the championship awards and the individual awards to the respective winners.

Bubble Gum Jaw
In the general elections of 2012, and indeed this one in November 2015, the biggest asset of the People’s United Party was the number of media houses under the control of its surrogates. In the aforementioned 2012 elections, the UDP was most affected by a talk show on Love called Politics Today, where Matura, Gegg and Mohammed pounded the incumbent Government each night. Matura then proceeded to use the name and offices of Oceana to organize a referendum on off-shore drilling, which made the UDP look as if they are in favor of this practice, no matter that it was the PUP which awarded all the drilling concessions immediately prior to the 2008 Generals. In this 2015 election, several talk show hosts, who are actually covert PUP surrogates, are trying to mimic the former program, Politics Today. In fact, they came back with a show called The Business Hour, which centers more on politics than business, hosted by two fervent PUP supporters.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Dangriga police seize gun
Dangriga police searched an abandoned lot on Monday afternoon around 12:25 p.m. and made the discovery of a .380 pistol along with five live rounds of ammunition. No one was in the Lakeland area where the gun and ammunition was found so they were labelled as “Found Property”.

Two detained for Placencia burglary
Two Placencia men have been detained in connection with a burglary at the home of an American businessman and owner of Sail Fish Resort’s. Fifty-year-old Michael Gargan reported to police that sometime between 6:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. on October 6th, his apartment was broken into and a metal safe containing items […]

Multiple drug operation in the west proves successful
San Ignacio police, in an effort to control the distribution and sale of illegal substances in that municipality conducted a number of searches with warrants in hand and with the assistance of the Special Branch Tactical Response Squad. The operations proved successful in three different instances. Twenty-eight-year-old Ramona Vasquez from […]

Man busted for drug trafficking
Randy McNab, a 35-year-old resident of Mangrove Street in Dangriga Town, was arrested and charged for the offense of “drug trafficking” on Tuesday after police busted him with cannabis and money suspected to be the proceeds of drug sales. While on mobile patrol in the “Backa Town” area, officers noticed […]

Stann Creek farmer claims Fantasy 5 after slip
An elderly man from the Stann Creek district won Tuesday night’s Fantasy Five Jackpot of $286,000. 76 year old Malcolm John Dale picked the lucky numbers 05, 11, 19, 34, 29. Dale visited the Fantasy Five Office with his winning ticket yesterday to claim the Jackpot, but couldn’t […]

PM defends Elrington as forces gather against him
On September 30, Attorney General and Minister of Foreign Affairs Wilfred Elrington gave his last statement in that capacity at the United Nations’ 70th General Assembly in New York City. Since then, Citizens Organized for Liberty thru Action has taken him to task saying he failed to use […]

FCIB excoriates CWU over negotiations
CIBC First Caribbean Bank says it does not conduct its business in the public domain. But in the wake of the back and forth between the Christian Workers’ Union (CWU) and the Bank concerning efforts to settle the workers’ exit package as the Bank prepares to transfer its […]

Audit employees complain anonymously on Facebook
Various anonymous members of the Office of the Auditor General of Belize have started a Facebook page entitled “The Corruption Starts Here.” This is in reference to a stated goal of the Audit Department, to investigate and root out corrupt practices in Government departments. While in practice the […]

PM hosts business forum
Today was the 4th Annual Prime Minister’s Business Forum which was held today at the Biltmore Hotel in Belize City. Among other things, a report on the status of reform actions discussed at PM Business Forums in the past was presented. In his closing remarks PM Barrow said […]

BPP’s new candidates have big dreams for Belize
ast week saw the launch of the Belize Progressive Party (BPP), an amalgation of two smaller political parties and former members of a third. They introduced the first eleven candidates to contest the 2015 general elections. Today they announced the addition of seven more. They are housewife and mother of […]

PUP unveil health policy
The PUP has unveiled its health policy which addresses health as a holistic goal for all Belizeans. PUP Leader Francis Fonseca stated, “Fundamental to healthy livings for all Belizeans are the basic programmes of development that are central to the plan of action of the next PUP government. Good […]

Belize Progressive Party to name seven new candidates
The Belize Progressive Party (BPP) is today naming seven new candidates for the 2015 general elections. The candidates presented themselves at the Belize Institute of Management, pledging to declare their income and assets in accordance with the Prevention of Corruption in Public Life Act. The candidates are Elizabeth […]

SSB workers walk out again
Workers of the Social Security Board across the country which have been agitating for advancement on their Collective Bargaining Agreement apparently walked out of their offices and began picketing. In Belize City sixteen workers did so around three Wednesday afternoon. According to 7 News they have been demanding […]

Hattieville man accused of carnal knowledge of 11 year old
A 29 year old man accused of twice having sexual intercourse with an 11 year old girl, causing her grievous harm, has been remanded to Belize Central Prison. Hattieville resident, Akeem Alexander Allen is two counts of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor 11 years old and one count of […]

Report: Major crimes down, murder rises
For the fourth time in five years, through the first nine months of 2015, murders have cracked the 100 mark with a reported 102 compared to 91 in the same period for 2014. However, other major crimes including burglary and theft are down sharply, resulting in 200 fewer […]

Bus driver faces charges for little girl’s death
54 year old Honduran national Jose Rodriguez, a truck driver, has been charged with manslaughter by negligence, causing death by careless conduct and driving without due care and attention in connection with Monday’s road traffic accident on the George Price Highway that claimed the life of 11 year old Tezzrah Diamond Thompson. Thompson, […]

PUP Pickstock candidate “not involved with COLA”
While he concedes that his objectives and theirs are the same, candidate for the People’s United Party (PUP) in Pickstock division, Dr. Francis Smith, denies being in any way involved in activist group Citizens Organized for Liberty through Action (COLA)’s decision to actively campaign against his Pickstock opponent, Wilfred […]

Two charged for Belize City robbery
Two of three Belize City men charged with the brazen daylight robbery of Southern Choice Butane Limited are denied bail and have been remanded to Central Prison. 26 year old Kevin Faber, unemployed resident of Gibnut Street, and 25 year old Warren Davis, appeared before Chief Magistrate Ann-Marie Smith charged […]

Some of the Beauties of Fall on Ambergris Caye
NONE of these are steadfast rules but this October so far has been quite beautiful. With flat seas perfect for diving… …and certain lawns have been turning into marshes of fresh water filled with frogs…and some really gorgeous birds. Yesterday, once again, we came to a screaming halt when we spotted a lone roseate spoonbill perched on top of a telephone pole. Osprey, yes. But spoonbill? Not your every day sighting. The flock eating frogs and tadpoles. It IS the circle of life after all…

Sipping Cocktails on the Beach—And You Call This Work?
I’m sitting on the beach in Hopkins Village in Belize—mimosa in hand—staring out over the turquoise waters of the Caribbean Sea trying to find the exact point where the clear blue sky meets the water. This friendly village is the heart of the Garifuna culture in Belize and my home for the next couple of days. There isn’t much on my to-do list…sunning, swimming, and a Garifuna drumming lesson with a local drummer. I’m halfway through an adventurous road trip around this captivating little country and taking a day or two to reflect on the experiences of the last few days. Belize is a country full of diversity. Depending on your interests you can have the completely relaxed, tropical, seaside experience…or inland mountain adventures, visits to ancient Maya sites, and encounters with local wildlife.

Words Of Wisdom For Anyone Considering Retiring To Belize
"When we got off the plane on our first trip to Belize, we knew immediately that this was the place for us," Kathy continues. "It just felt right, right away." One thing that attracted Jim and Kathy to Belize was the fact that the language is English. "Learning Spanish wasn't something we wanted to deal with," Jim admits. "Another thing we really appreciate about this country is the people," Kathy adds. "We've lived all around the world with the military, and we find the people in Belize to be wonderful and friendly. Belize is one of the top 10 happiest countries in the world. When they say 'good morning,' they actually mean it." "On the other hand," Jim adds, "living here, you need patience. Belize moves at its own pace, and Belizeans are on mañana time. Monday may mean Monday, but not necessarily next Monday."

Serenity now at San Ignacio Resort Hotel
I know a few of you are Seinfeld fans and have seen the “Serenity now” episode where a few of the cast started saying that phrase as a method to lower blood pressure and the saying turns to “Serenity now, insanity later” as everyone using the mantra gets more worked up as the show progresses. Thankfully that was not the case at our recent stay at San Ignacio Resort Hotel. It truly was serenity relaxation all the way. We also got pampered well and every time we came back to our room there was a new treat waiting for us. As much as I love food, my favorite one was the day they left a flower petal happy birthday message on the bed. It came with a bouquet with mums and roses which was extra special to me. Roses are not easily found here and a professional gardener confirmed that is because they are not commonly grown as they take so much care.

Batimos los huevos y los agregamos a la cacerola junto con el brócoli y la zanahoria en trozos, mezclamos nuevamente hasta que todo se integre bien y hacemos las tortitas del tamaño que deseemos para después colocarlas en una bandeja para hornear. Cuando tengamos todas las tortitas hechas y colocadas en la bandeja horneamos en horno precalentado a 190 grados centígrados durante 15 minutos, pasados los 15 minutos sacamos la bandeja, damos vuelta a las tortitas de brócoli y horneamos durante 15 minutos más.

International Sourcesizz

Ancient recording of Earth core's birth
A reassessment of ancient rocks has led scientists to estimate that Earth's inner core started to form earlier than was previously thought, around 1.3 billion years ago. As it started to freeze, the core began generating a bigger magnetic field, which continues to today. The work is reported in Nature journal. Earth's active core contrasts sharply with that of our neighbour Mars, whose strong early magnetic field died around four billion years ago. Our planet's magnetic field is generated deep in the planet by the turbulent motion of the electrically conducting molten iron of the outer core.

Climate Time Machine
This series of visualizations shows how some of Earth's key climate indicators are changing over time.

The next NFL kicker to miss an extra point wins a trip to Belize
For NFL kickers looking to visit Half Moon Caye or the mountainous city of Belmopan, the Belize tourism board has quite the offer. The next guy to miss one of the league’s new 33-yard extra points wins a free trip to the Central American nation. So far there have been 17 missed extra points this season by 15 different kickers. Kyle Brindza and Randy Bullock both missed two apiece and were cut by their teams. But if the next guy to miss the gimme kick gets released, at least he can spend his time off in a tropical paradise.

Mummies, Bones & Catacombs: Seeing Dead People for Fun
Seeking skeletons, mummies and other human remains -- seeing dead people for fun -- is a pursuit I've dubbed "cadravel," from "cadaver" plus "travel." Cadravel is spooky, but it's also wake-up-and-smell-the-membrane sobering, reminding us that life is short, that we're all the same inside and that we'll all end up this way -- well, maybe not with our tibia transformed into chandeliers at the Czech Republic's skele-tastic Sedlec Ossuary, say, but dead. Which is something we seriously need to know. Belize's Actun Tunichil Muknal Cave, a longtime Maya ceremonial site, is now an archaeological wonderland housing many artifacts including a full skeleton dubbed the Crystal Maiden: Sparkling faintly, calcified into the cavern floor from which it gazes, one leg straight and the other bent, it's said to evince ancient sacrifice.

SD man taught us about the world
Don Bohning, who spent three decades building up the Miami Herald’s Latin American coverage, died early Saturday after a long battle with cancer. He was 82. Gugliotta discovered just how highly esteemed Bohning was in the eyes of Caribbean politicians one morning when George Price, the eccentric but charming prime minister of Belize, popped in without warning at the old Herald building on Biscayne Boulevard, having flown to Miami and then taking a bus to see Bohning for an impromptu chat. Minutes later, two harried Secret Service agents burst into the Herald lobby, frantic that their charge had wandered away. Bohning was nonplussed neither by the arrival of Price nor that of the distraught agents. His patience and tranquility in the face of maddog dictators and penurious publishers were legendary. He stayed calm even in the face of the serial catastrophes that marked his attempt to cover the U.S. invasion of Grenada in 1983. The U.S. military was barring reporters from the scene, but Bohning and five other reporters hired a smuggler with a speedboat in St. Vincent and the Grenadines to slip them in. Making its final run to shore through bombing and artillery fire, the boat capsized, destroying all Bohning’s notes and recordings.

Belize Offers a Free, Relaxing Vacation to Next Stressed-Out NFL Kicker to Miss
NFL kickers seem to be stressed out this season, as there's been a rash of missed kicks, including 18 this past week alone. But now, the country of Belize is here to help—offering a free bye-week trip to Belize to the next kicker who misses a field goal or extra point attempt. The offer, dreamed up by Belize's PR/social agency Olson Engage, is made in this video starring Belize national soccer defender Ian Gaynair, who'll give free kicking lessons to the lucky "winner." (Because missing kicks isn't embarrassing enough.) The Colts' Adam Vinatieri (seen above, missing a kick in the AFC Championship Game last January) and the Texans' Nick Novak, who play Thursday night, are first in line for the chance to get rewarded for sucking.

• Belize Progressive Party - Press Conference - Oct. 1, 2015 - FULL, 112min.

• Garifuna drums, Dangriga, Belize, 2min.

• Planning for a Sustainable Future - Securing the Costal Resources of Belize, 3min. A call to action in support of the Integrated Costal Zone Management Plan of Belize.

• Life in Progress, 6.5min. One year ago to the day, I started the longest and most amazing journey of my life. 10 months traveling alone from Canada to Brazil, meeting the most amazing people on my way ! I made this short video with almost no edit as a "trailer" for a longer one with more footage, details and explanation about the trip. This bigger project will probably be split in several parts. Thanks to each and every person who have been part of this adventure and have contributed in making it so wonderful. Footage from: Norway, Iceland, Canada, USA, The Bahamas, Mexico, Belize, Panama, Peru, Bolivia and Brazil.

• Blue Bonefish Lodge, 1.5min. The Blue Bonefish Lodge San Pedro Belize.

• Sirenalia Mermaids Belize Retreat, 1min. You're already a merperson. Come swim with us. February 4th - 9th, 2016, join us in Caye Caulker Belize for the second annual Belize Mermaid Retreat hosted by the Mermaids of Sirenalia.

• The Log Cab-Inn - Belize San Ignacio, 2min. Set 6 minutesТ drive south from the town of San Ignacio, The Log Cab-Inn boasts facilities including an outdoor pool and a restaurant on site. The functional accommodations feature a flat-screen TV with cable channels, air conditioning, and views of the surrounding jungle. The private bathrooms include a shower.

• Belize's Invitation To Football Kickers, 1min. In Belize, we love football — both kinds. Which is why we can’t bear to watch anymore American football kickers struggle… they need to relax! We’ve teamed up with Belize football (soccer) star Ian Gaynair to make the following offer: The next kicker to miss a field goal or extra point is invited on a trip to Belize.

• Belize Getaway, 3.5min.

• Tamara Husted Birthday in Belize, 3min.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
    Daily Weather

Classified Ads
    San Pedro Sun
    Ambergris Today
    SP Town Council
    Channel 7
    Channel 5
    Love FM
    The Reporter
    Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
    Radio Stations

Click for our
    Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
    Event Calendar
    Specials & Events
    Things to Do
    iTravel Belize
    Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
    Tia Chocolate
    My Beautiful Belize
    I-Travel Belize
    Belize Adventure
    Belize Hub
    Romantic Travel
    Bound for Belize
    Conch Creative
    As The Coconuts Drop
    More Blogs...
    Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
    Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
    White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
    Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
    We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
    Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
    Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
    Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
    Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
    Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
    More Links
    Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    30 31
    Who's Online
    1 registered (1 invisible), 72 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Forum Stats
    18,633 Registered Members
    44 Forums
    63,706 Topics
    461,226 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
    BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
    BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
    BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
    and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.