Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Long time visitor to Ambergris Caye, Peter Rosenthal, is embarking on a campaign to rid the island of unsightly graffiti. Graffiti is a form of vandalism, where culprits deface public or private property, often times using obscene images or messages. Since 1990, Rosenthal has pioneered a volunteer project to remove graffiti from public places. He previously operated one in the United States of America, but with the increase of visual vandalism in San Pedro, Rosenthal hopes that his graffiti removal project will help the issue here on the island as well.

The campaign aims at getting residents involved in painting over graffiti riddled structures by always carrying small containers of paint thinner and a paint brush with them. "The plan is very simple; just cover it over within a day or two upon seeing it. If it's taken off the same day; very few people will even know it's there. If nobody cares, it will stay up forever and spread. Graffiti left up tends to breed more graffiti. In a heavy area, it needs to be eradicated daily, if necessary." Rosenthal has already taken it upon himself to remove some of the unsightly graffiti around town. The process is simple, it only takes a small paint brush or sponge to be dipped into paint thinner and then erase the marking away. "This is a very simple process that takes ten minutes to resolve.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun

Great project!! Thanks Peter!

R
R
Nice job, Peter.....I'll equip myself with the same ammo you have and do my best ....

You guys are great.
Cheers to random acts of kindness and senseless beauty!

Thanks for the thanks. A little clarification.

I headed a volunteer group in my area for about 20 years and we really knocked down Graffiti and worked with Community Policing to actually arrest a bunch of them. I disbanded the group about 6 years ago as our area now has enough official support to take up where we left off. We just report it now.

The saying is "That's terrible, somebody should do something about it". I'm not starting a new crusade; just bringing the "somebody should do something" to the forefront. That Graffiti had been on that corner for as long as I have been visiting the island. I'm back in the States and noticed large Graffiti on a wall further South ( North of the Roundabout). I will be following up with some emails in a few days as the newspaper is helping me with some specific email addresses.

My quest is just the tourist areas because I feel it is unsightly. If property owners get the idea to clean up their property off of the beaten path; so be it.

A correction.... That was NOT paint thinner.. It was a refrigerator type plastic container with a similar color of paint. I use a simple washable paint sponge and it just takes a few minutes.

I will be happy to supply a couple of "kits" free of charge to anybody who has the urge. There really isn't much to do in the tourist areas. Back on the island for Thanksgiving.

I will post another response with a few pictures and an email address for Graffiti related stuff.

Peter

A little known fact... Women who are overweight tend to live longer than men who mention it...
Ok... I will try to add a couple of images: if I mess up, bear with me.

My direct email for Graffiti stuff is "[email protected]". I just "dusted off" my old one.

I am attaching a picture of a "kit" with white paint and the big Graffiti and the little "tag" across the street. The big one takes a larger paint pad and a pole which I will bring down in November. The fence across the street is just a "shot" with a white spray can. Yes; we always get permission from the owner or renter.

If I get the pictures in correctly, perhaps one of you can join me in late November for 15 minutes of "good work"..

Peter [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[b][/b]

A little known fact... Women who are overweight tend to live longer than men who mention it...
I think I "got it"

Thank you so much Peter.....This type of awareness and solution simplification is great for all of us! smile

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com
Sorry I missed you this trip.

M
M
I LOVE this! Thanks for making it easy for us to step up, help out, and clean up!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 280 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.