This Saturday, October 31st, is Halloween and everyone’s favourite celebration. More money is spent on Halloween costumes as a nation than for any other celebration. This year will be no exception and I believe that this year will surpass many that have preceded it. Caye Caulker has several events lined up for this event and they are way beyond anything I have witnessed here before in the 15 years I’ve been coming here.

The Barrier Reef Sports Bar & Grill is having a big party with DJ DZL and is being sponsored by several local businesses. They usually have one of the best showings on the island and last year’s party was one of my favourites with Luciana Essenziale winning the prize for scariest costume. I’m still haunted by that image. This year, Scott Waters (owner), is offering a massive $750 in prize money split 3 ways for scariest, sexiest and funniest. There are a multitude of other prizes and giveaways throughout the evening, from bottles of rum, 6 packs of beer, etcetera and it looks like it is set to be a roaring success.

One of their rivals will be The Lazy Lizard, located at the split. All their decorations have been up for a week so far and they plan on having a huge party themselves. I mean, who wouldn’t want to go and party with monsters and demons on the beach? James (Jim) Lynskey and the crew are offering a staggering $750 for the best costume, $250 for 2nd place and $100 for the best kid’s costume. They have been planning for some time now and I’m sure that as small as the Lazy Lizard is physically, the surrounding beach and docks will be filled with festivities. Night of the Living Lizard will rock out with DJ Selva & DJ Fire Storm.

One step further north and you’ll get wet, but if you take a boat to the north island of Caye Caulker there is yet another massive Halloween party at Ragga Castle. Jimmy and Charlie (Raggamuffin) are throwing a big beachfront party at their home on the leeside of the island with regular boats ferrying passengers, guests and ghouls between there and the split. DJ Julian and Evolution Sounds will be cutting the tunes for the evening and there are complimentary drinks for the first 50 party people. You could win a cell phone, phone credit, Travellers gift packs and tons more as well as the prizes for best male and best female costumes. Shhhhh…there are free tequila shots at midnight when the witching hour begins.

It looks like All Hollows Eve is going to be a tough choice of where to go this year with these three venues being some of the biggest parties on the Caye. I presume that many people will venture to all to check them out for themselves and I am included on that list. Let us not forget another soiree that is happening too. West Bay Beach Club are having a celebration of their own and partying till 4:30 am with drink specials, prizes, free taxi rides from the Sports Bar, DJ H6, jello shots, bonfire on the beach and so much more.

By the end of this night, whether you were in costume or not, this island will be full of zombies. When I say zombie I mean; the inability to control your brain, not being able to speak coherently (if at all), the inability to remember, walking like a zombie by leaning in the direction you want to go and praying that your feet keep up so that you don’t face plant on the ground. I’m not going to mention your look and how bad your eyes are going to be…… especially if you make it through till dawn.

Be safe out there everyone, have a world of fun with your friends and strangers alike. Eat, drink and be merry. Be kind to the children as they play trick or treat. Shower them with love and candy. Most importantly, be kind to each other.

Caye Caulker Chronicles