Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Belize Council of Churches’ statement on the 2015 General Elections
As we approach General Elections 2015, the Belize Council of Churches wishes to call the attention of all Belizeans on the followings: We encourage all the parties involved in this election, the Political Parties, the Elections and Boundaries Commission, and the Voters, to put the interest of the country above and beyond their own self-interest and allow the electoral process to be fair, peaceful and objective. We encourage the institutions responsible for law and order in our land to be vigilant, responsible and fair in the exercise of their duties. We encourage all the voters to say no to any form of political intimidation or enticement, such as receiving money for your vote, which tantamount to participating in the corruption of our democracy. We therefore call on all voters to vote in concert with their conscience and on what is best for Belize, that is, to vote for those who will best represent the interest of all Belizeans.

Two major political parties launch their manifesto
On Wednesday, October 21st the two main political parties in Belize, the People’s United Party (PUP) and the United Democratic Party (UDP) simultaneously launched their manifestos. The PUP 2015-2019 manifesto called ‘Power to the People’ was launched at the party’s Independence Hall Headquarters, where 30 of the 31 PUP standard bearers contesting the November 4th general elections were present. Meanwhile, the ruling party, the UDP, launched theirs at the Best Western Biltmore Plaza Hotel. The 2015-2020 UDP’s manifesto titled ‘The Best is Yet to Come’ is the party’s third agenda in over eight years as it attempts to make history by winning an unprecedented third term. Both agendas bring an array of plans for the well-being of the country and its people. The contract of the Opposition PUP with the people emphasized that their commitments are ‘Urgent Matters.’ Meanwhile the ruling UDP is assuring Belizeans, that better is coming and the country will see more progress in the future.

Pavement of Sandpiper Street is underway
The San Pedro Town Council’s (SPTC) street rehabilitation efforts continue with the cementing of Sandpiper Street. Work on the street commenced on Friday, October 23rd and is expected to be completed by Tuesday, November 3rd in preparation for the 2015 General Elections. Sandpiper Street is located just right of the roundabout connecting Pescador Drive to Boca del Rio Drive. Due to its proximity to both the San Pedro High School and the beach area, Sandpiper Street is a heavily trafficked area, and as such the upgrade of the street will facilitate traffic. Guerrero further explained that once construction on Sandpiper Street is complete, work will commence on beach reclamation efforts. “Beach erosion is a serious problem that we are facing in the stretch of beach from Wet Willy’s Dock to Boca del Rio Park. We already have plans that will be put into place to reclaim that beach area and make it a better beach for residents and visitors,” said Guerrero. As part of the reclamation efforts, SPTC will be installing a 24” underground pipe the length of the beach which will be connected to the drainage system of each house to reduce water runoff on the beach. SPTC will also be constructing a retaining wall along the coast in hopes of lessening erosion effects.

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

Job opening for Tour Guide
***TOUR GUIDE - boat tour company established in San Pedro looking for serious, responsible tour guide for a full-time job (free-lance tour guides are also of interest for extras), with immediate effect. Please call 6077245 for info.

Cancer Protection Drive in San Pedro
Wow! What a turn out! In total 15 PAP SMEARS and 19 BREAST EXAMINATIONS were done at the Dr. Otto Rodriguez Polyclinic II. The total amount collected at the Dollar Drives was $5000.06! The San Pedro Town Council would like to thank everyone who contributed to the dollar drive and to those who visited the polyclinic and got their exams done. Thank you to Annie's Pastries, Casa Pan Dulce and Sweet Treats for donating cupcakes for the people taking the exams and Thank you to the staff at the Dr. Otto Rodriguez II Polyclinic for assisting us with this cause. Thank you to the Staff of the SPTC for helping out at the Dollar Drive! GREAT JOB EVERYONE! Rembember, EARLY DETECTION SAVES LIVES!

CACHE Cultural Costume Contest
CACHE is having their Cultural Costume Contest on Sunday around the CACHE Cafe in Centennial Park. There will be prizes for kids with the best costumes. "Dress up as a cultural folklore character such as la Llorona, Tata Duende, Sirena, Sisimite, la Chatona, la Chepona, or a historical figure such as a Chiclero, a logwood cutter etc. Here's your chance to win cash prizes! (Kids) 1st place $30 2nd place $25 3rd place $20 and a special category for adults- Prize: Autographed Under the Yax'che Tree"

U.S. Embassy Belize wishes everyone a Happy Halloween!!!
Learn about how the U.S. tradition of Halloween evolved here:

The Reporter

New Guatemalan president insists Belize is theirs; Belize’s PM takes diplomatic approach to comments
Soon after his election as president of Guatemala last Sunday, Jimmy Morales delivered a speech in which he said Belize belongs to Guatemala and that they should not give up any of it. But while Morales has taken a hardline approach to the age-old dispute, Dean Barrow, still carrying out his role as Belize’s Prime Minister, took a more diplomatic approach to those remarks this week. In his speech to Guatemalans, Morales said, “How can we forget Belize? Up until a few years ago, the Constitution of Guatemala said that Belize is Guatemalan territory and still we have a differendum and without wanting to fight with our brothers and neighbors.” But Morales ended his speech on the topic of Belize, expressing his view that Guatemala should aggressively pursue its claim.

Evidence against Venezuelan opposition leader was fabricated, says US
The Venezuelan government fabricated evidence against opposition leader Leopoldo Lopez, said a former prosecutor who handled the case against the popular politician. Ex-prosecutor Franklin Nieves, who fled Venezuela last week, told CNN that “100% of the investigation was invented” around false evidence in a sham prosecution allegedly orchestrated by President Nicolas Maduro and Diosdado Cabello, the head of the National Assembly. Lopez was sentenced last month to nearly 14 years in prison and immediately took to social media to say, “This sentence is not only against me, but it attempts to bring down the spirits of everyone who is fighting to have a better country,” according to his verified Twitter account. Jailed since February 2014, Lopez had rallied opposition against what he considered heavy-handed rule by Venezuelan presidents.

Belizean faces traffic charges following serious accident in Chetumal
A Belizean man is facing traffic charges in Chetumal Quintana Roo, Mexico pending the classification of injuries that the occupants of a taxi suffered in a traffic accident that he is accused of causing. The Belizean was driving a loaded trailer out of a construction supplies factory on the old Santa Elena highway around 7:30 p.m. Monday. He reportedly did not ensure that traffic was clear before he proceeded onto the street and the oncoming taxi had no time to avoid colliding into the trailer, which had 20 tons of cement on board. The taxi driver and a passenger inside suffered serious head, facial and chest injuries when the car slammed into the trailer and got wedged underneath, trapping its occupants inside.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

5 year old child shot by masked men in San Martin, Belmopan
Belize Media Group has confirmed that a 5 year old child and two other adults are currently hospitalized and are in critical condition at the KHMH after they were shot. BMG was made to understand that, two men wearing Halloween mask on a motorcycle opened fire while the trio stood in a crowd […]

UDP Candidate defends “unfair” tax exemptions
Candidate for the Orange Walk Central constituency of the United Democratic Party (UDP) in next Wednesday’s general election, Denny Grijalva, denies that he was given more favorable treatment for duty exemptions for a road building project from Yo Creek to San Antonio villages inclusive, Orange Walk District. PUP […]

PUP makes more election rigging allegations
The People’s United Party (PUP) is alleging another election rigging attempt by the United Democratic Party (UDP) in the Cayo district. According to Orlando Habet, PUP Cayo North-East standard bearer he has received several credible reports of UDP operatives deceiving and try to coerce public officers to vote for the […]

Your Vote For Your Future
By Charlie Leslie Jr: The notion and belief that we don’t have a chance of being Balkanized if we go to ICJ is the most dangerous precipice Belize has ever been on in post independent Belize. Belizeans still have this false premise that you vote for a political party. No. You […]

Winning Entry : Citizenship – Why I will vote on November 4th, 2015 written by: Jamie A. Burns Jr.
I have never bore witness to a purer, more innate sense of patriotism than that of the collective Belizean people. Belize boasts a national haven of resource, both human and natural. “Mother Nature’s best kept secret” remains only on the fringes of secrecy, because our earthly divinity is rapidly becoming world renowned and internationally beloved. Who then, will be selected as caretakers of our Belize? Furthermore, who will be held accountable for those choices? How do we vet and vie the candidates who seek to subscribe to the guardianship over the “Land Of The Free”? Democracy – the process which harkens our participation and gives content to the speech of the populace; therein lies the engine of our governance. My vote is my voice, and I will vote on November 4th, 2015. In direct opposition to the carefree cliché, ignorance is not bliss, certainly not when it comes to general elections. To abstain from voting when you possess the eligibility to cast a ballot is tantamount to being wilfully mute in the discourse of our national regime. Your voice is inevitably drowned amidst the ones of those who practiced their right and adhered to their responsibility to see the one, true victory present itself on Election Day: democracy. Some vocally defeat the value of their vote, convinced that their say will not sway an election. If I may contravene from a logically-parallel perspective: one vote is resonant in adding to or subtracting from the eventual majority or minority. If there is strength in numbers, then there can certainly be weakness in few.

Haunted and Hot the Halloween Celebrations Continue
It is not uncommon for some local businesses to do an annual event for a particular cause. This is the case with Wayo’s Haunted beach house. Every year they make a big party with a haunted house on the beach to raise money for a charity. This year the party spanned two evenings, although Thursday was pretty much a “dress rehearsal” and final set up. I wanted to go to Wayo’s this year but was unable to get there. I even saw Lara on her way last night and she did a rolling stop to ask if I was going. I told her I had other plans and continued riding south to home. Unfortunately not long after I got home my plans were cancelled to cancelled due to the other persons work issues surrounding a big upcoming wedding. Seciond day of the 2 day affair I could not go as last night was Red Cross Crazy Canucks Trivia night, I was there to represent San Pedro Branch. Thankfully Shirlee and George were planning to attend Wayo’s and she said they would get a few pics for me to help promote it.

Before 10am in San Pedro: There’s A Ton Going on in this Town
I was up early today – I won’t describe why…it just had to do with my dog & some cat poop and…that’s enough said. But it certainly was an early morning Halloween trick. Best to get up, do the laundry and get some distance from the situation. First, while driving south, I ran into a 5k run. I drove to the finish line passing runners and walkers of all ages (very carefully). Liliana, my crossfit coach who JUST HAD A BABY 6 MONTHS AGO, came in 1st place for women. And Jose, my friend from class, came in 9th overall. Nice work guys. Especially for 7am on a Saturday morning. I hightailed it over to the beautiful Phoenix Resort to help with their weekly 8am Saturday beach clean up. I love that they have been doing this for months. Employees, volunteers from the high school, owners at the resort, who ever wants to help…

Orange Chicken (Restaurant Style)
Pour into saucepan water, orange juice, lemon juice, rice vinegar, and soy sauce; and set over medium-high heat. Stir in orange zest, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, red pepper, and chopped onion. In a small bowl Mix 3 Tablespoons of cornstarch with 2 Tablespoons of cold water mix well and add it to your sauce. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, and let cool 10 to 15 minutes. Place chicken pieces into a resealable plastic bag. When contents of saucepan have cooled, pour 1 cup of sauce into bag. Reserve remaining sauce. Seal bag, and refrigerate at least 2 hours.

International Sourcesizz

Central America Trip #14
This trip ended up being 343 days and 16,000+ miles through the back-country of Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama. 11 rigs started the trip, within a week we broke into three smaller groups for ease of traveling. Only myself and one other rig went the full, pre-planned route. All the others dropped out for various reasons. All returned safely to the United States. I’m planning to show these photos, more or less, 10 a day, whenever I’m not doing something else deserving a blog entry. FINALLY, it must be remembered these photos are prior to my switching to digital in 2006. The films were developed during our trip and the lack of quality control sometimes is plainly evident. Today we are headed for the Mayan Laminai Ruins deep in the jungle. It takes one hour by a very speedy boat trip… You can see just how fast we were moving. The boat operator just loved bending through the river’s “S” turns at this high-speed… A walk to another ruin through the jungle was interesting. Here we saw the small black howler monkeys that have a roar as loud as a lion!

Deep thinker: UM oceanographer also a champion free diver
Dr. Claire Paris found that the truest way to study the behavior of fish was to become one. The University of Miami oceanographer has spent countless hours underwater conducting her experiments. She had to be a strong swimmer and capable diver to do her life’s work in makeshift laboratories beneath the surface of the sea, whether she was in the Florida Keys, the Caribbean, the Mediterranean, French Polynesia, Norway’s fjords or Australia’s Great Barrier Reef. She became so adept at navigating the deep that she decided to apply her skills to competition. Two months ago, the scientist became a champion athlete. Paris set the U.S. women’s free diving record in the dynamic no-fins event by swimming 128 meters (420 feet) in 3 minutes, 7 seconds underwater while holding her breath. Two years ago in Belize, during a study of goby larvae, Paris had to make repetitive dives of 40 to 50 feet to set the fragile baby fish free. Scuba gear could not be used because the bubbles and noise would disturb the movement of the fish. Paris relied on her basic free diving and snorkeling skills, swimming up and down on one breath of air. Paris used her invention, the Drifting In Situ Chamber (DISC) to deploy the larvae. The DISC is like an immersible mobile nursery, with a transparent mesh chamber in which Paris can observe and record the fish remotely with a GoPro camera and microphone. Her studies tracking different species show that even infant fish are excellent navigators. During the expedition in Belize, Paris, 57, became intrigued by the idea of pushing her limits as a diver. She has competed in triathlons and marathons. She figured she would try the sport of free diving — so called because divers are unencumbered by scuba gear and the decompression restrictions of breathing compressed air through a regulator. “Claire is a very athletic, competitive person who qualified for the Boston Marathon on her first try,” said her husband, Ricardo Paris, a Coconut Grove entrepreneur who joined her in free diving classes and has since become an instructor for Grove Scuba and his wife’s coach. “She used to race motorcycles and get into wrecks. She had two bad bike accidents. She injured her knee running. Free diving was a good sport for her because she couldn’t hurt herself.”

RAHN: Tale of two small countries
Belize and Cayman - Two Caribbean destinations with opposite dimensions. One has and the other has not. Cayman is rich, and Belize is poor. Why? Both are small Caribbean countries with the same climate and roughly the same mixed racial heritage, and both were English-speaking British colonies. Belize (the former British Honduras) received its independence in 1981, while Cayman is still not fully independent but is self-governing at the local level, with its own currency, laws and regulations. Belize should be richer: It has a larger population than Cayman (345,000 as contrasted with Cayman’s 54,000). Belize has a much larger and more varied land area with many more natural resources, including gas and oil, and some rich agricultural land that Cayman lacks. Both have nice beaches, but Belize has the second-largest barrier reef in the world after Australia and also has Mayan ruins. Yet Cayman, with fewer points of interests, has done more to attract tourists.

• The Official #VOTELIKEABOSS Video, 2min. Great words & video. Booom take stand now. You make me proud to be a Belizean. Stand your ground..a young, emerging leader. "Like a bass." Great n powerful message William we need more youths like u to step up to d plates...

• Belize, 4min. 3 Weeks spent in Belize. Caye Caulker, San Ignacio, Dangriga, Hopkins and Plancencia.

• Belize - Spring Break March 2015, 26min.

• Shark Restaurant Belize, 4min. Feeding the sharks....

• Shark Ray Alley - Belize, 1.5min.