Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#508898 - 11/06/15 11:02 AM Francis Fonseca Steps Down As PUP Party Leader
Marty Offline
b>Tonight the real hot news is not about Dean Barrow's third term; it's about PUP Leader Francis Fonseca's abrupt and unexpected announcement that he is stepping down as party leader. Fonseca made the announcement at an understated press briefing this afternoon in Belize City. His stark announcement stunned observers at party headquarters:...

Hon. Francis Fonseca, Stepping Down
"Ladies and gentlemen it has been my distinct honor and privilege to lead the People's United Party over the past 4 years. I think given the results of yesterday's elections, it is right and appropriate that I stand down as the leader of the People's United Party. I certainly want to thank the wonderful people of Freetown for their unwavering support for 4 consecutive general elections. I had been and continue to be humbled by their love and support. I am a very young man as Jules Vasquez knows, but this has been my last election. I am still in my 40s, but I think I will have to find another way to contribute to the development of Belize, Jules. I will of course serve out term working for the people of Freetown. But I do not intend to seek re-election."

And so, just like that, Fonseca who just won the Freetown division by his largest margin yet and for a fourth term - is walking away from PUP leadership 4 years after he took up the post, and electoral politics 12 years after he won his first election. He says that it wasn't a spontaneous decision - he decided much before the election that if the PUP lost he would step aside.

Hon. Francis Fonseca, Stepping Down
"I am certainly at peace. That's the kind of person I am. I don't hang on to anything for too long. So I don't trouble myself over things. I do the best I can and then as I said many times over the past few days, we will do all we can. The Belizean people would have to do the rest. They have spoken. We Respect their voice. So I am quite at peace with the work I have done and my contribution to the People's United Party during a very difficult time in its history."

Channel 7

New Leader Will Be Selected at a National Convention

According to Fonseca, his departure will create a vacuum in the leadership of the party that is expected to be filled via a national convention at a time that is yet to be set.  A post mortem of the general elections is also anticipated and factors, including the party’s performances at the polls prior to November fourth, will be carefully considered in determining the cause of the loss.

Francis Fonseca, Party Leader, P.U.P.

“The chairman will oversee that process moving forward and yes, ultimately that process will end with the holding of a national convention or a special convention at which there is the election of a new leader of the People’s United Party.”

Reporter

“In addition to that, is there any plans for an internal review by the party of this particular election campaign?”

Francis Fonseca

“Of course, yeah.  Of course, of course.  We certainly have to do a proper analysis of the election results constituency by constituency; a national analysis.  Clearly, we do that after every election with a view to ensuring that we understand the weaknesses, the strengths, the weakness and, you know, based on that analysis we are then able to better plan.  The hope is to better plan for the future.  So certainly we will do that as a party.  Certainly in the weeks and months ahead.”

Reporter

“And then finally, your reaction looking at the results.  You were within two seats last time and then slipped back, obviously the bye-elections may have had something to do with that.  But you were able to gain seats in the city at the expense of some seats in the districts.  Do you think voter transfer and registration had any role to play in that exchange?”

Francis Fonseca

“Yeah. I think that will form a part of the analysis but clearly, yes, clearly, those are significant factors.  There was a significant movement of voters into particular constituencies but as a political party you have to be prepared for those things.  You have to respond to them, you have to fight them.  You know, I always tell people we can complain and whine and warn and bring these things to the attention of the nation but when the elections are over there is very little you can do about fundamentally changing how these things are done unless you are the government.”

Channel 5

#508929 - 11/07/15 11:01 AM Re: Francis Fonseca Steps Down As PUP Party Leader [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Who Will Lead After Francis?

Last night you heard PUP Leader Francis Fonseca make the dramatic announcement that he was stepping down and retiring from electoral politics. His announcement has triggered a sort of leadership sweepstakes in the PUP where and now the race has begun to see who will replace him. Today we spoke to three persons who might have an interest in the job. Former leader John Briceno told us that he is taking the weekend off with his family, and he will decide next week after the weekend break. Deputy Leader Julius Espat was not so blas. He told us he is considering it because, quote, "the party must have a leader that can unite, and a leader that is bi-lingual, one that can work and give his all, but," he continued, quote, "we cannot have leadership challenge where we come out fighting." He said he is, quote, "very close to making a decision on that" and consulting his allies countrywide. He says he has received calls of encouragement. As for the prospect of a Briceno bid for leadership, he says, quote, "we can't go backwards." One other dark horse prospect for leader says he has also been getting calls. Kareem Musa, the son of Said Musa, and just elected to his first term says he is considering making a run for the leadership as well.

Those are three possible prospects for leader - but it's a very fluid situation, as the power vacuum at the leadership is expected to produce many possible alliances and intrigues in the coming weeks.

We'll keep following it, but in the meantime Francis Fonseca remains in the post.

Channel 7

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,674 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,055 Topics
462,292 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.